GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkish authorities match DNA samples to homeless suspect in murder of Staten Island mom Sarai Sierra

Blood and skin found on Sierra, a mother of two who traveled to Turkey to pursue photography, has been linked to a man on the run for the Syrian border, according to detectives cited in Dogan New Agency report.

By Rich Schapiro AND Bill Hutchinson / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 7:24 PM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-sarai-sierra-turkish-media-article-1.1268249

oooh, but wait a minute.....i myself never saw the version where SS earrings were 'buried' or 'left beside her' or anything like that, i must have missed that bit.(although i read all the posts i did not see the link to that)
So this newspaper account of her photographing him, the scream after Z attacking her etc. does not make sense to me...(yes i also got out of bed to post this)
Are we to believe that Z attempted rape, hit her with a rock, was about to run away, but.....inexplicably paused to bury (or 'place') the earrings and driving license?...
Suddenly, it seems to not 'make sense' once again.....Sorry, sigh.

oooh, but wait a minute.....i myself never saw the version where SS earrings were 'buried' or 'left beside her' or anything like that, i must have missed that bit.(although i read all the posts i did not see the link to that)
So this newspaper account of her photographing him, the scream after Z attacking her etc. does not make sense to me...(yes i also got out of bed to post this)
Are we to believe that Z attempted rape, hit her with a rock, was about to run away, but.....inexplicably paused to bury (or 'place') the earrings and driving license?...

Perhaps someone else, another homeless person from the walls who heard the screaming and didn't/couldn't do anything to help Sarai, maybe that person found the items strewn about and put them next to her to assuage his/her guilt and in their mind, still help in some way.

This is so tragic. At the very end of her solo trip, she stumbles into this trouble. She takes the picture of the one person that she needed to stay far away from. So sad. :cry:

glad there's been some sort of update. looking forward to seeing LE catch this sicko and the rest of the story becoming clear.

Tourists should be made aware of dangerous areas, but historic landmarks such as the wall should also be repaired and maintained. They should go from being considered dirty and dangerous, to a source of national pride. It would benefit Turkey's tourism industry, and also benefit future generations.

Some say that the safety and maintenance these "Byzantine" walls may be the last item on the reigning party's list due their pro-Islamic stance. That may be unfair though. These walls have always been neglected except this one time with this very poor restoration attempt, which made them look like toy castles constructed with Lego pieces.

I won't be surprised if Z's lawyer tries to build a case of self-defense. He panics and flees.

Last night I watched a video on youtube submitted by a family of what I'm assuming are American tourists who took a self-guided tour of the walls. At one point they entered a locked gate when a local opened it to let them in. The mother joked about whether or not it was wise for them to enter, but they did, and later on the video they commented that an adjacent neighborhood looked "seedy". Fortunately they survived their tour.

I was just trying to help those tourists and hoping to receive some tip.

Kidding! But perhaps that's what the local was after.

Social signals often do get misinterpreted by outsiders.

That local guy might be saying "this foreign couple appears out of nowhere and starts filming these old walls. Definitely sent on a mission by CIA or MI5. I didn't get any tip, but I don't care, I am just happy to be alive."

She was not in a place that would ever be considered "safe". She was not attacked in a place where tourist normally go.

If you want, have the police put up signs in twenty languages on the top of the walls warning people that this is a dangerous area. There is no way to know if that would have deterred her from going there or not.

What she did was aberrant. She did not go with another person for safety, as she seems to have done in the US. She did an unsafe thing.

Good night Yashim and thanks.

Thanks, Herat.

But tourists are sometimes like these small kids who will do anything to reach a piece of candy. Unless there is a fence around these walls, some tourists will certainly end up there.

I can totally imagine a female tourist, seeing other tourist groups, going towards the walls to take some pictures only to turn around and see that everybody's gone except this creepy local guy.

It happened and will happen again. They should either put a fence or make that area safe.

Instead what they did was to put more surveillance cameras to solve the crimes faster.

I remember this cartoon where a mechanic says to a woman driver "I couldn't fix the breaks, but I made the horn louder."

Placing cameras is a similar solution, i.e. if at all.

How can a homeless guy make such a professional escape? Sticking around in Istanbul for a few days. Then staying with his brother for some time. Then going to Hatay and letting his siblings know that. No cell phone, no credit card. What makes LE think that he is in Hatay? The tracked phone call?

Very very odd.

How can a homeless guy make such a professional escape? Sticking around in Istanbul for a few days. Then staying with his brother for some time. Then going to Hatay and letting his siblings know that. No cell phone, no credit card. What makes LE think that he is in Hatay? The tracked phone call?

Very very odd.

Some say that the safety and maintenance these "Byzantine" walls may be the last item on the reigning party's list due their pro-Islamic stance. That may be unfair though. These walls have always been neglected except this one time with this very poor restoration attempt, which made them look like toy castles constructed with Lego pieces.

I did see a video where a portion of the wall was badly restored. The videographer was speaking about the poor restoration and how the wall doesn't look now as it originally did.

Reminds me of this:

[video=youtube;pj-eTk1ZlD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj-eTk1ZlD8[/video]

Nobody's around?

Where is ToutCA, Lavy and Alpmighty?

I thought alpMighty was online 24/7? Is is possible that he's awake one week and sleeps throughout the other? Hope he comes back next week.

Seems like I'm having a discussion with myself.

Why type then? I'll eliminate the middleman.

Bye.

Very very odd.

It makes no sense, unless Ziya is not actually a regular homeless guy. I think the lack of officials speaking is weird. None of these reports include quotes from local or federal LE. I assume the investigation is looking at much more than just a homeless guy.

It is not a cultural thing. In New York there are many crimes that were committed and made the news more for the fact that people heard/saw/witnessed something, and did nothing to help, than for the fact that the crime was committed.

Some people say they were too afraid to do anything. Perhaps there were some who just didn't care.

That is something I can't understand. So no, it's not a cultural thing, but some people, for reasons unknown to me, just react differently.

Hmmm, perhaps we are programmed to avoid random screaming, maybe it's an instinct. Wondering.. if a woman hears unexpected screams, what can she do, other than 'call the police', and if a man hears it, what can he do by himself not knowing who is causing the screams: I DO see that if several people ran towards the screaming it would probably work, unless they encounter a gang.
Seemingly simple, this problem is more complex.
I don't know 'why' .

Very very odd.

Do we know who he called?
and....don't leave again just yet Yashim.:seeya:

This is so tragic. At the very end of her solo trip, she stumbles into this trouble. She takes the picture of the one person that she needed to stay far away from. So sad. :cry:

And travels all the way to Turkey to find him: 'tragic' in a truly classic sense.

She was not in a place that would ever be considered "safe". She was not attacked in a place where tourist normally go.

If you want, have the police put up signs in twenty languages on the top of the walls warning people that this is a dangerous area. There is no way to know if that would have deterred her from going there or not.

What she did was aberrant. She did not go with another person for safety, as she seems to have done in the US. She did an unsafe thing.

Good night Yashim and thanks.

The German way: hide rail tracks and driveway in tunnels, turn the rest into a "City Walls" theme park with built-in luxury apartments. ;-)

I was just going to remark that case was getting cold when I saw news of DNA match.. So it was Z!

Hmmm, perhaps we are programmed to avoid random screaming, maybe it's an instinct. Wondering.. if a woman hears unexpected screams, what can she do, other than 'call the police', and if a man hears it, what can he do by himself not knowing who is causing the screams: I DO see that if several people ran towards the screaming it would probably work, unless they encounter a gang.
Seemingly simple, this problem is more complex.
I don't know 'why' .

I think if I were a homeless person I would have a distrust for anyone, especially anyone in authority. My meager survival depends on staying out of the way, not making waves. Would I run to assist a random woman? No...I would continue to survive. Probably hide...maybe even go into hiding or clear the area because of the possibility of becomming implicated. Once SS ventured onto or over the wall she was on her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bridgetraiann