GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One is that that the government wants this to look like a random attack that happened in a "bad area" "she shouldn't have been" because of the impact it can have on tourism.

I don't think it'll impact tourist inflow to Istanbul.

- It is a relatively safe city for its size.

- Many people who come to Istanbul live in less safer cities.

- SS case already have enough absurdities to make it unique. I doubt people see her a regular tourist anymore. At best, she is seen as a risk-taker. So her case is not generalizable.

- Russians, British, Germans, Dutch, Iranians, Arabs, even Bulgarians and Greeks bring in higher tourism revenue.

- Based on 2011 statistics, only 22% of tourists come through Istanbul. And on average only 2.8% are US citizens. If US tourists stopped coming to Istanbul, there would be 0.06% drop in arrivals. That's like 10 carpets less for us. I'll make up the difference myself.

I wish we had a substantial amount of tourism revenue from US citizens visiting Istanbul for cultural tourism. But we don't. SS case will not make much difference. And other nations are more familiar about Istanbul to not base their judgement on SS case alone.

I think if I were a homeless person I would have a distrust for anyone, especially anyone in authority. My meager survival depends on staying out of the way, not making waves. Would I run to assist a random woman? No...I would continue to survive. Probably hide...maybe even go into hiding or clear the area because of the possibility of becomming implicated. Once SS ventured onto or over the wall she was on her own.

I appreciate your candor on this, but wouldn't it be okay to at least call the police for the woman without getting involved yourself? I think that's what I would have done.

Here's something I've been wondering about the earrings (sorry, I realize this discussion was going on several pages ago, didn't have time to catch up today at work.) Could SS have thought maybe it was a robbery attempt and taken off her earrings in an attempt to please the "robber" and satisfy him, hoping for him to go on his way. I guess my thinking is, if I was being robbed, my earrings are probably the least expensive piece of jewelry I wear. She may have taken her earrings off and handed them to the "robber" he holds onto them or puts them in a pocket, decides he wants more jewelry/electronics/etc, and that's when things become physical, in whatever manner it did. He kills her, moves her, and realizes, for whatever reason, he doesn't want the earrings any longer and throws them next to her body as he (presumably "he") is leaving.

Maybe (probably) not even close to what happened, I was just trying to figure out how her earrings could have ended up laying in the dirt next to her...

Herat had a similar theory.

Had I not seen her family so crushed by her death, I would have insisted on my fake death theory.

I thought if the dead body's ears were not pierced, the perp couldn't have put SS's earrings on the body.

99% this is not the case, but it would definitely make a better CSI episode

I still want to know if her room was found unlocked, did it have a lock?

I still want to know if her room was found unlocked, did it have a lock?

It was locked. Nothing said otherwise.

But let me tell you one more odd thing.

There was an interview with her husband on a TV channel. In front of him was the handwritten letter from the landlord. There is no way that letter is written by a Turk. It is so so American English. I mean the phrasing. (Also the date of course).

So, I am assuming somebody American prepared it for the landlord to copy it down in his own handwriting. Perhaps her husband needed it to make an official appeal for assistance from the US Consulate.

I understand that but even in that case that's not the way to go. It should have been written by the landlord himself in his native tongue and then translated by a government certified translator. That's how it should have been done.

That brings the question who are the family friends in Istanbul? We never saw any of them in any footage.

It was locked. Nothing said otherwise.

But let me tell you one more odd thing.

There was an interview with her husband on a TV channel. In front of him was the handwritten letter from the landlord. There is no way that letter is written by a Turk. It is so so American English. I mean the phrasing. (Also the date of course).

So, I am assuming somebody American prepared it for the landlord to copy it down in his own handwriting. Perhaps her husband needed it to make an official appeal for assistance from the US Consulate.

I understand that but even in that case that's not the way to go. It should have been written by the landlord himself in his native tongue and then translated by a government certified translator. That's how it should have been done.

That brings the question who are the family friends in Istanbul? We never saw any of them in any footage.

Yes i noticed that letter was well written in english, but i assumed they had done as you say, and had the original rewritten by a professional translator.
I imagine her door did have a lock, but I'm still thinking that someone surprised her in the room , whether a 'happy surprise''(friend), or intruder?
An intruder who seemed trustworthy though, with some kind of info. she was interested in.
Now, if that person stole the phone and ipad, they would have wanted them because they were afraid she had maybe captured something on them, so they didn't bother taking the charger, since they were going to junk the electronics, not sell or use them.
oh...and when they were turned on, it was to see if their suspicions had been right.
Also they were not poor so they didnt bother with the money or passport either.
Sticking by this until proven wrong.....

Where does it say the calls were to the US. And can you even tell where a Skype call is placed to? Skype is simply software on a machine, talking and videoing to software on another machine, somewhere in the world where there is internet.

I think what the quote said, 3 or 4 threads ago, is that the phone and/ipod were turned on those dates, and Skype accessed one of them. Correct me if my memory fails as I advance in years.

I apologize in advance if my comment seems aggressive, Yashim

Yes, partially correct. "Assuming" the call went thru on the other end, then:

1. Skype app (online network) to Landline (landline network): You can locate the originating IP of the Skype app, which would be location/geography specific. Obviously you can tell where the call was placed.

2. Skype app (online network) to cell phone (cell towers): You can locate the originating IP of the Skype app, which would be location/geography specific. Cell phone would have to be picking up a signal and pinging nearby towers.

3. Skype app (online network) to Skype app (online network): You can locate the originating IP of the Skype app, which would be location/geography specific. Also, you can locate the recieving IP of the Skype app, which would be location/geography specific.

The IP info would be known by Microsoft/Skype. Also, the network service provider could trace this, if known, but I would just get the info from Microsoft thru a court order, since she is a homicide, it should be easy to do.

When did the CIA get involved in this?

I thought it was the FBI involved. If only because a congressional representative for the district that Staten Island is in is ex-FBI.

I know- but this has been published now as news in Turkish media...I just can't believe the CIA would be involved in a localLE case...did you see the link to the article posted here? I think it's so strange. Wonder about the sources on this one.

I appreciate your candor on this, but wouldn't it be okay to at least call the police for the woman without getting involved yourself? I think that's what I would have done.

I have not been to Istanbul. I cannot speak intelligently about conditions there. I have been many places very similar.

IMO the homless, or rejects of society, the dredges, would have a very healthy disrespect for the law, or fear. And I would think they would not have a cell with a family plan to call the police. They are on the bottom rung of Maslov's Hierarchy of Needs - survival.

But within a closed society like that there are no secrets. They know what happened that day. They knew that day. And you can bet a bunch of them packed up and moved to other parts of the city.

I thought since the dead body's ears were not pierced

Are you sure about this? You did mention it before.

There is a photo of SS taken wearing heavy silver hoop earrings. Can't tell if they are pierced or not, but it's probably more common that women have pierced ears.

Not to belabor the "stealing the phone/Ipad so as to give alibi and pretend person is alive..."

but heres another case in the news now in NewYork,a girl went missing Dec. 19. They just found her body, but short texts had been sent by "her" (duh..her phone) to make it seem like she was alive, but family& friends questioned their validity, and it looks like they right and texts were fake.

Wish we knew more about that text "I'm coming home tomorrow Yay!" that was supposedly sent by Sarai and received by the sister at 9:20 AM NY time on the 21st. So much misinformation to go on!

NY girl Marisha Cheong/text story:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...missing-nyc-woman-washes-ashore-in-queens-ny/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01...s-text-at-center-of-missing-local-woman-case/

I wish we knew for sure that her sister did receive the txt at 9:20 am NYC time. Because that would mean that the text was sent at 4:20 pm Istanbul time. And if that is a fact it either means that Sarai was either still alive at 4:20 in the afternoon in Istanbul and survived for at least 3 hrs after her last camera sighting near the walls.

Or it means that someone wanted family and LE to believe she was still alive at 4:20 pm Istanbul time. And because we can guess that Ziya does not know English. Someone other then Ziya would have had to have those electronics to send that text.

If it really is her on camera, and if she really was killed by Ziya at those walls sometime around 2pm ( basing that on her being seen on an eminonu camera at 1:30, and adding the mininimal time it would take her to walk to the place she was found), then hypothetically Ziya would have had enough time to kill her, move her, clean himself up, and meet someone to hand over the electronics too (a little over a 2 hr window), and perhaps whoever he handed the electronics too, whoever recruited him for murder, is who sent those text. IF in fact that text was received at 9:20 am NYC time.

I haven't caught all the way up yet, so forgive me if this has already been asked. When a person sends a text at a certain time, but for some reason the phone does not actually send it yet and does so later, does the time come up as the original time the text is written, or does it now show the time it is actually on it's way. I hope I am making sense as I had surgery this morning and don't feel very with it.

thanks!

OMG, ThinkHard, you are like a travel guide.

Anyway, I agree with you.

I doubt that traceability was the motive to leave it behind.

Even if so, hanging on to them for a while and having time to think about it would be better.

He could have always thrown them into the sea.

Whoever did this wanted all jewelry to be found with the body. And the driver's license was there, too.

...which reminds me of your other scenario, Yashim, and was it really SS that was found in that cave?

I have not been to Istanbul. I cannot speak intelligently about conditions there. I have been many places very similar.

IMO the homless, or rejects of society, the dredges, would have a very healthy disrespect for the law, or fear. And I would think they would not have a cell with a family plan to call the police. They are on the bottom rung of Maslov's Hierarchy of Needs - survival.

But within a closed society like that there are no secrets. They know what happened that day. They knew that day. And you can bet a bunch of them packed up and moved to other parts of the city.

My apologies - as I mentioned earlier, had surgery this morning, and I actually read your post incorrectly. I thought I had read that this is what you would do as you, not as a homeless person. I get what you are saying now.

Thanks!

Those of us who have had to witness and experience our own family going through something like this likely have a little less enthusiasm for some of the media reporting. Almost 28 years now for members of our extended family.

I was just in Istanbul earlier this year. I've been to Istanbul several times. I'm pretty certain I know where they found her. I have photographed the walls too but sitting in a car. You couldn't pay me to go near them in broad daylight in places unless I had a police officer or two or three with me.

There is so much speculation here. None of it will see the light of validity because it likely didn't go down that way at all. No kidnapping, no body double, no international spy or drug business, just a murder in the afternoon on that day at the walls.

The DNA seems to come back to the suspect. As far as Sarai Sierra? Look at her profile picture on Instagram and her name MeMyselfSarai (a photo split down the middle the halves pointing opposite directions). Was the log in name a play on an old song title or her focusing on herself for a change trying to figure out who she really was in the world. Identity? That happens. She was 33, married early in a fairly conservative church and had two children. In her 30s she discovered photography, photography in the digital and online era where everyone can take interesting photos and blog about them. She had recruited a new audience and support network for herself online (we all know that all those Facebook friends we have friended through friends of friends are trustworthy and certainly good friends of ours). Hardly a life of living on the edge and messing up.

She sat out on an adventure, extremely uninformed about Istanbul. The very place she chose to stay was not the safest neighborhood. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/w...m05-turkey-tarlabasi.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't believe she was a drug dealer or that she knowingly hung out with a "criminal element" if at all. She wasn't tossed from a train. She wasn't being abducted and sold (though that could have had traction given the amount of human trafficking that goes on all over the world today including here in the US.) Likely not killed by a carpet salesman though she could have visited one.

What kind of person takes photos with a smartphone half a world away from home and edits them on a tablet to be posted on the internet? Someone who is fairly naive, perhaps in a strained relationship, and wondering what else (not necessarily looking for another relationship) is out there. A person needing a bit of time off to clear her head about what was going on in her world. Istanbul was certainly appealing no doubt especially if she was encouraged by people there to visit.

There is no big story waiting to be uncovered here but rather a straight-up tragic incident of a woman at the hands of an deeply disturbed individual right there at the city walls. It has stirred a lot of curiosity but alas it will be found to be a tragic tale of an ordinary individual who may have had a little bit brighter, rewarding future ahead of her had she been allowed to grow and develop as we all do across our life span. Her soul be blessed now and forever.

Who was that mysterious man at the mosque who resurfaced at Topkapi? Perhaps a tour guide or a carpet salesman. A number of people idling around during the off-season trying to sell or guide (he may have not been an actual guide but someone posing as a guide to earn money showing random tourists around . . . it happens). What about the bathroom rumors and the bar. A case of he says the police says? Or perhaps those just got made up along the way by other people. Look at the most outrageous stories advanced during this case and you'll see questionable news outlets doing what they do best speculating with rumors and hearsay. And how many comments has her story generated that are so negative toward her? How dare she get murdered?

Istanbul is a great city but it has places that aren't such great places to be night or day. Sultanahmet at night can get creepy at times. One wrong turn at Taksim Square and you're in Tarlabasi before you know it (where she stayed). I only wish she had done more research and erred on the side of safety and caution. There are great affordable hostels in Istanbul that aren't overflowing in the off-season and in way safer places. Fellow female travelers she might have linked up with. All of it too late for consideration now.

This is my first post and I apologize for being so direct in how I think this is going to shake out. Because I travel to Turkey fairly often I had people recently ask me what I thought about all of this and I gave them the scenarios of someone she met online doing it (I don't think the online possibility is still worthy of consideration given what the Polis went on to uncover), cautioning that Turkish Polis were on the case and time would bring things around and I noted that based on the location there was a high likelihood she was killed on site by someone living/occupying/squatting at the walls. Given similar scenarios that have happened there or nearby in recent years, I would say the present identified suspect may be asked a lot of questions once apprehended.

Istanbul is relatively safe but it has its moments. Talk of boycotting travel to Turkey is a bit absurd. I just read today about the body of a Canadian tourist discovered in a water tank at a hotel here in the US. Maybe Canadians should boycott travel to the US until further notice?

Those of us who have had to witness and experience our own family going through something like this likely have a little less enthusiasm for some of the media reporting. Almost 28 years now for members of our extended family.

I was just in Istanbul earlier this year. I've been to Istanbul several times. I'm pretty certain I know where they found her. I have photographed the walls too but sitting in a car. You couldn't pay me to go near them in broad daylight in places unless I had a police officer or two or three with me.

There is so much speculation here. None of it will see the light of validity because it likely didn't go down that way at all. No kidnapping, no body double, no international spy or drug business, just a murder in the afternoon on that day at the walls.

The DNA seems to come back to the suspect. As far as Sarai Sierra? Look at her profile picture on Instagram and her name MeMyselfSarai (a photo split down the middle the halves pointing opposite directions). Was the log in name a play on an old song title or her focusing on herself for a change trying to figure out who she really was in the world. Identity? That happens. She was 33, married early in a fairly conservative church and had two children. In her 30s she discovered photography, photography in the digital and online era where everyone can take interesting photos and blog about them. She had recruited a new audience and support network for herself online (we all know that all those Facebook friends we have friended through friends of friends are trustworthy and certainly good friends of ours). Hardly a life of living on the edge and messing up.

She sat out on an adventure, extremely uninformed about Istanbul. The very place she chose to stay was not the safest neighborhood. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/w...m05-turkey-tarlabasi.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't believe she was a drug dealer or that she knowingly hung out with a "criminal element" if at all. She wasn't tossed from a train. She wasn't being abducted and sold (though that could have had traction given the amount of human trafficking that goes on all over the world today including here in the US.) Likely not killed by a carpet salesman though she could have visited one.

What kind of person takes photos with a smartphone half a world away from home and edits them on a tablet to be posted on the internet? Someone who is fairly naive, perhaps in a strained relationship, and wondering what else (not necessarily looking for another relationship) is out there. A person needing a bit of time off to clear her head about what was going on in her world. Istanbul was certainly appealing no doubt especially if she was encouraged by people there to visit.

There is no big story waiting to be uncovered here but rather a straight-up tragic incident of a woman at the hands of an deeply disturbed individual right there at the city walls. It has stirred a lot of curiosity but alas it will be found to be a tragic tale of an ordinary individual who may have had a little bit brighter, rewarding future ahead of her had she been allowed to grow and develop as we all do across our life span. Her soul be blessed now and forever.

Who was that mysterious man at the mosque who resurfaced at Topkapi? Perhaps a tour guide or a carpet salesman. A number of people idling around during the off-season trying to sell or guide (he may have not been an actual guide but someone posing as a guide to earn money showing random tourists around . . . it happens). What about the bathroom rumors and the bar. A case of he says the police says? Or perhaps those just got made up along the way by other people. Look at the most outrageous stories advanced during this case and you'll see questionable news outlets doing what they do best speculating with rumors and hearsay. And how many comments has her story generated that are so negative toward her? How dare she get murdered?

Istanbul is a great city but it has places that aren't such great places to be night or day. Sultanahmet at night can get creepy at times. One wrong turn at Taksim Square and you're in Tarlabasi before you know it (where she stayed). I only wish she had done more research and erred on the side of safety and caution. There are great affordable hostels in Istanbul that aren't overflowing in the off-season and in way safer places. Fellow female travelers she might have linked up with. All of it too late for consideration now.

This is my first post and I apologize for being so direct in how I think this is going to shake out. Because I travel to Turkey fairly often I had people recently ask me what I thought about all of this and I gave them the scenarios of someone she met online doing it (I don't think the online possibility is still worthy of consideration given what the Polis went on to uncover), cautioning that Turkish Polis were on the case and time would bring things around and I noted that based on the location there was a high likelihood she was killed on site by someone living/occupying/squatting at the walls. Given similar scenarios that have happened there or nearby in recent years, I would say the present identified suspect may be asked a lot of questions once apprehended.

Istanbul is relatively safe but it has its moments. Talk of boycotting travel to Turkey is a bit absurd. I just read today about the body of a Canadian tourist discovered in a water tank at a hotel here in the US. Maybe Canadians should boycott travel to the US until further notice?

:wagon: GREAT post!!!

And once again a person BUYING a necklace is not the same as a person HOCKING a necklace to a jeweler.

Use your own figures. How much would a 14 karat gold necklace with a charm sell for? How much does it weigh? Use your own numbers.

The high price of a necklace is based on the weight and percentage of gold and also the craftsmanship in making the product.

When you bring in something to sell they don't care about the craftsmanship, they melt it down and create something else with it.

At least that's what they say.

A necklace of 14 karat gold is garbage only useful to meltdown and reshape. That is what the dealer would say.

Even if you brought in a necklace that you paid $400 for, it would only sell for a couple of bucks. This is very common knowledge so I'm not going to continue discussing it. But there is no way he'd get hundreds for a light weight 14 karat gold necklace and ring. No way. And he may have known this as a begger and merchant.

He're's the proof btw, if he IS the one who killed her he DIDN'T take the jewelry.

You can purchase gold necklace, jewelry etc. and you pay the weight of gold + workmanship. When you sell it the jeweller buying it will only pay for the gold and deduct workmanship. So you end up gaining less than what you paid for when buying it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisy82504