GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So to recap: Z, a homeless trash collector with mental challenges, was warned by LE that he was about to be framed (by them presumably) for SS's murder. He manages to get from Istanbul to his relatives, borrows $60 or so, then manages to slip over the border to Syria or Iran, where he totally disappears, maybe blending in with huge groups of refugees.

Is that where we are?

Just trying to keep screenplay up to date.

So to recap: Z, a homeless trash collector with mental challenges, was warned by LE that he was about to be framed (by them presumably) for SS's murder. He manages to get from Istanbul to his relatives, borrows $60 or so, then manages to slip over the border to Syria or Iran, where he totally disappears, maybe blending in with huge groups of refugees.

Is that where we are?

Just trying to keep screenplay up to date.

Well....if you put it that way...seems like it might be so: but how does that come about? Or why? Maybe Z has been useful or valuable to LE in some way in the past? Once again nothing makes sense here.

Well....if you put it that way...seems like it might be so: but how does that come about? Or why? Maybe Z has been useful or valuable to LE in some way in the past? Once again nothing makes sense here.

And if LE tells the world Z has disappeared into Syria or Iran and he is their "number one suspect," that means they will not pursue any other lines of inquiry.

Anyway seems like everyone in here has lost interest. Did some other juicy case turn up?

I'm still very curious, but the fact is, there are no new data anywhere I can find, and I've been checking all kinds of European as well as American sources.

And to clarify one point, I think LE retracted the statement about Ziya T being the "number one suspect" a few days ago and said they thought several people were involved and they were seeking 5 different people. But who knows? It's not as though any info they've released to date seems reliable.

Guys, I'll keep reading but also will not post much unless there's new info.
If someone's dropping out here, I'd like to say thank you!

Also big thanks to Chewy for her pictures from the NY coastline that Sarai knew well and that really seems to resemble the SS murder area in atmospheric ways. Helps explain how Sarai could have gone there by her own decision.

I haven't seen any information confirming that LE has given up on Z or has framed him, apart from from tabloids quoting someone talking 'over coffee'.
I do believe they have important eye witness accounts they haven't told us about yet, part of ongoing investigation.

I imagine we'll be back as soon as they either catch Laz Ziya or release other information.

There were too many questions regarding circumstances when she was missing that have never been explained or even addressed by LE, which is why I still have a healthy amount of skepticism regarding it being the work of this one guy.

I swear, I remember reading actual texts, but not only can I not remember where, I don't even remember if it was before or after SS was found. Sorry!

[quote above is referring to a communication from SS to TK regarding their meeting on the last day, saying that if he couldn’t come, it was okay, she could walk around by herself]

Meri, I had also remembered reading this, and it was really nagging at me. Finally I found it. It came from TK’s lawyer’s statement (reported in the Turkish media and translated by three of our Turkish-speaking friends in thread #2, pages 28-9 -- posts 687, 692 [with links] and 701).

So, contrary to the way I too was remembering it (as an exact quote from a text or e-mail), it was actually third-hand oral information -- the lawyer stating what TK had told him (the lawyer) SS had said (or maybe texted) to him (TK).

I know it’s a little late and probably not very important at this point, but I hope this at least it ties up another tiny loose end on this thread:)

It looks like we have a bunch of our usual friends that have moved on from the case here. I just wanted to thank them and say that I will miss all their contributions here. :heartbeat:

I, too, would like to say thank you to all...and, especially to those members who’ve signaled in one way or another they’re not coming back, good-bye and all the best!

[quote above is referring to a communication from SS to TK regarding their meeting on the last day, saying that if he couldn’t come, it was okay, she could walk around by herself]

Meri, I had also remembered reading this, and it was really nagging at me. Finally I found it. It came from TK’s lawyer’s statement (reported in the Turkish media and translated by three of our Turkish-speaking friends in thread #2, pages 28-9 -- posts 687, 692 [with links] and 701).

So, contrary to the way I too was remembering it (as an exact quote from a text or e-mail), it was actually third-hand oral information -- the lawyer stating what TK had told him (the lawyer) SS had said (or maybe texted) to him (TK).

...yes, expressed by an attorney as the word of his client who was at the center of the investigation and who was questioned, after making an arrangement to be questioned at the police station of his request, about his own involvement.....?

but the woman who, without a lawyer, possibly putting herself at risk, went to the Police Station and on video insisted she saw a car in the area on Tuesday night, the 22nd, (which she could describe color and possible model) is simply written off by LE as not to be believed.

...and the lead suspect, who claims he ran because he was told to leave because it would be pinned on him, well he is so smart that he covers the body of a woman he supposedly killed with his own blanket...... hope there wasn't any blood on it.

I’d like to also thank the posters and say goodbye for now. I imagine some will return should something of interest pop up.

According to Hurriyet they seem to think he's in İskenderun, so, who knows, maybe there will be a break soon.

What's more interesting than the article are the comments.

Judging from comments like "Who's the real criminals?" it seems some Turkish people are divided regarding Laz Ziya's involvement. (granted it is google translating, so not sure if it's accurate)

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/22712183.asp

(For the Hurriyet English translation, google "Laz Ziya", got to 'Search tools" and put in 'last 24 hours', and scroll down)

According to Hurriyet they seem to think he's in İskenderun, so, who knows, maybe there will be a break soon.

What's more interesting than the article are the comments.

Judging from comments like "Who's the real criminals?" it seems some Turkish people are divided regarding Laz Ziya's involvement. (granted it is google translating, so not sure if it's accurate)

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/22712183.asp

(For the Hurriyet English translation, google "Laz Ziya", got to 'Search tools" and put in 'last 24 hours', and scroll down)

Zarra, thanks so much for posting this!

My translation [not perfect but I hope better than Google:) corrections would be welcome]:

It has been determined that Ziya T…[background boilerplate]…went from the Hatay provincial center [Antakya] to Iskenderun.

During examination of security camera recordings from the Iskenderun bus station, an image of Ziya T was found. It having been determined that he arrived in the district through the bus station, the special team set up to find him has intensified its efforts in the region. The Iskenderun police are assisting in the search, and the gendarmerie has also been alerted, in case he is hiding out in a rural area. In addition, in case Ziya T went somewhere else [from Iskenderun], surveillance images are again being examined one by one.

Yes, some of the comments say things like, who are the real criminals?; someone must be helping him; etc. One says a foreign country must be using him as an agent, but two other commenters make fun of that idea. I’m not quite up to translating these because of the colloquial language, but here’s a try at a couple:

Don’t string along the nation with Laz Ziya! Who are the real criminals? We’re in a sorry state if the Turkish police can’t find a scavenger like Laz Ziya!

If Laz Ziya killed [her] why did he hide the body so close? A paper collector would take [away] the body, it would have vanished, what could be easier than that? Someone did [it] gave money [to this] and scattered evidence around, now this poor guy’s on the run! [something about the security forces have found/will find the real criminals] Even regular people don’t believe it was Laz Ziya!

My translation [not perfect but I hope better than Google:) corrections would be welcome]:

It has been determined that Ziya T…[background boilerplate]…went from the Hatay provincial center [Antakya] to Iskenderun.

During examination of security camera recordings from the Iskenderun bus station, an image of Ziya T was found. It having been determined that he arrived in the district through the bus station, the special team set up to find him has intensified its efforts in the region. The Iskenderun police are assisting in the search, and the gendarmerie has also been alerted, in case he is hiding out in a rural area. In addition, in case Ziya T went somewhere else [from Iskenderun], surveillance images are again being examined one by one.

Yes, some of the comments say things like, who are the real criminals?; someone must be helping him; etc. One says a foreign country must be using him as an agent, but two other commenters make fun of that idea. I’m not quite up to translating these because of the colloquial language, but here’s a try at a couple:

Don’t string along the nation with Laz Ziya! Who are the real criminals? We’re in a sorry state if the Turkish police can’t find a scavenger like Laz Ziya!

If Laz Ziya killed [her] why did he hide the body so close? A paper collector would take [away] the body, it would have vanished, what could be easier than that? Someone did [it] gave money [to this] and scattered evidence around, now this poor guy’s on the run! [something about the security forces have found/will find the real criminals] Even regular people don’t believe it was Laz Ziya!

Wow...Thank you for that great translation! Much appreciated!

Very interesting. Those conspiracy theories don't seem so far fetched now.
As in maybe 'somebodies' grabbed SS by mistake for some other person, as previously speculated.
It all depends on whether we accept all media accounts, or reject them all....or, pick and choose .

A lot of Turkish news outlets are reporting that the jandarma picked up and let go again an individual caught wandering like a beggar in Antioch. This was before Ziya was named as a suspect and the beggar was only identified as him several days later. They are also reporting that, according to security units, Ziya has been in Syria since 10th February after crossing the border in a truck.

Hi everybody,

New prelim report from SS's autopsy in Hürriyet today, not official yet.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/sa...drugs.aspx?pageID=238&nID=42509&NewsCatID=341

New things to think about:

"... it has emerged that the report establishes the cause of the victim’s death as a blow to the head, with no other injuries found on her body aside from a few scratches likely to have resulted from being dragged or carried."

!!

Again, earlier unconfirmed witness stories that reported wholly different observations seem to have been made up or distorted to the extent of falsification.

Also in the new report: No sign of drugs or rape (although I would not rule out attempted rape from the wording in this prelim report). Examination to continue.

With the cause of death being one blow to the head, I am thinking whoever did this did not mean to actually kill her. Just didn't know his own strength, I would think. Someone that wanted to make sure she was dead, seems to me, would have hit her more times than the one.

Poor Sarai.

With the cause of death being one blow to the head, I am thinking whoever did this did not mean to actually kill her. Just didn't know his own strength, I would think. Someone that wanted to make sure she was dead, seems to me, would have hit her more times than the one.

Poor Sarai.

If you wanted to render someone only unconscious would you hit them in the head? I don't know what I would do if I wanted to incapacitate someone without killing them a chokehold possibly? This case doesn't look like a rage crime then from someone emotionally involved if the report is correct. Mind you not everybody kills like Jodi Arias which was definitely a rage crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nothing67
Back