TX - 26 dead, 20 injured in church shooting, Sutherland Springs, 5 Nov 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Special Forces is Army and there are special rules that apply to Green Berets wearing beards. Wouldn't have applied to the shooter today while he was in the Air Force..

I didn’t say it would.

If it's true he knew at least one person who attended the church, I'm thinking the shooting wasn't for or against God or religion, necessarily, but against that person (or group of people).

My hunch - though it's still very early in the investigation - is that he wanted to destroy something that was unattainable to him - maybe he felt rejected by the person(s) in the church and would never be accepted because from the looks of it, he wasn't doing very well in life. He couldn't keep up with the world, couldn't fit in with church people or whatever....and he blew it all up rather than face the effort it would take to improve himself.

Total speculation and completely open to changing my mind when we know more.

jmopinion

BBM

According to this article he and his wife lived in Sutherland Springs TX. His wife was from there.

http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/breaking-news/danielle-lee-shields-devin-kelleys-wife/

https://www.facebook.com/danielle.shields.587

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/devin-...therland-springs-first-baptist-church-latest/

Officials say the suspect lived in a San Antonio suburb and doesn't appear to be linked to any organized terrorist groups. CBS News has learned Kelley has a wife named Danielle Lee Shields.

Checking in here, against my will. Not that I don't want to hang out with you guys, but I'm tired of these events. Weary, sad, disappointed, disgusted, angry....tired. What are we doing to ourselves?

I think I'm caught up by following all the news on my own today, but I'll back up a few pages to see what's happening on the thread.

Sorry to be here, but glad you're here. Ykwim.

:( :( :( :(

What are we doing to ourselves? We have allowed God and prayer to be thrown out of our school. Even the ten commandments can't be displayed in some places. We have allowed morality and decency to be done away with. There is no longer any right or wrong, everything in this country is under attack from one segment or another. We have nothing left to stand on, or to stand for. Our house is rotten, from the top to the bottom. Why are any of us surprised that the whole edifice is collapsing?

MOO

I know a lot of people who post pictures of their guns like this. And I assume and hope they're not all going to turn into mass shooters. It's no different from people posting pictures of their cars or other gear to them. Which is what I mean about how can we know when it's crossed a line when so many people do it? Without seeing the rest of his Facebook I would say one picture and caption isn't enough to set off alarm bells for me.
Neither have two that I've deleted - yet. But they have both shown themselves to be unstable as hell, and it would not surprise me if one of them shoots somebody and the other either ends up shooting himself or one of his kids gets hold of the gun and does something stupid.

And, yeah, I'm fairly certain their local PDs are aware of them, but they haven't committed a crime yet.

I'm a gun owner, but I still think it's a heck of a lot different from showing off a new car. Guns are killing machines, no matter what else they are.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Have been trying to catch up on here, but had been thinking something similar. I've known people who abandoned their Faith when life turns sour for them. Some people think of God as a genie who is supposed to grant them their every wish in life.

I'm thinking something happened while this guy was in the military and his outlook on life changed. He taught Bible School in 2013 and then was dishonorably discharged from military in 2014 (IIRC). I'm wondering if the reason he chose to commit this horrible violence in a church was to display his anger toward God.

I'm also waiting to hear if he had family members who attended that church and was angry at them, but chose to unleash that anger where he did for the reason I cited above. JMO

Fast moving thread, but it seems to me that if his act was out of anger toward God, any old church would do, not one that he had to drive 35 or so miles from home to get to.

This particular church was the target for a reason, I bet.

Yes because America is the only place on earth with senseless violence. GMAFB

In the first world? No, not like this.
Sunday's mass shooting was the deadliest in the modern history of Texas, surpassing a 1991 massacre in Killeen, Texas that left 23 dead. The top five deadliest shootings in modern American history have all come in the last 10 years, with two of them in the past six weeks: the Oct. 1 shootings in Las Vegas, which killed 58, and now, the shooting in Sutherland Springs.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-texas-church-shooting-20171105-story.html

Was he married while he was in the AF?

I googled a bit and found some public records that showed he's been married twice. Once in 2011 and then again in 2014. Not sure how long the first marriage lasted.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear if the trouble he got into was a domestic violence situations (just speculation.)

I am also curious to know if any of his in-laws attended this church. That would definitely speak to motive. Speculation - if a relative of his wife (or is she an ex-wife as well?) went to this church...maybe he went there to harm the relative and everyone else around...then planned to take the other weapons in his car to his wife's place to do harm there as well. Again...just speculation as we have no idea yet if he knew anyone there or what.

Oh, that poor woman. I'm sure the hounding has already begun.

Edit: Sorry, haven't been here in a while so I've forgotten to click Reply With Quote.

I was referring to the post referencing a news article that named his wife.

A Facebook profile under the gunman's name featured a photo of an AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle. In recent months, Kelley was adding strangers as friends on Facebook from "within 20 minutes" of the Sutherland Springs area and starting Facebook fights with them, according to area resident Johnathan Castillo.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...-shooting-20171105-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1la1

That is strange.

It is looking like he had something against that particular location and the people who lived there, not necessarily against the church.

It's still early, of course, and I don't expect immediate info from the church itself as I'm sure survivors are in complete shock at this point.

jmopinion, subject to change.

I'm a gun owner, but I still think it's a heck of a lot different from showing off a new car. Guns are killing machines, no matter what else they are.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Maybe for you, but not for all gun owners. And my point is that it's okay - if the guns are legal and the owner is excited about getting a new gun there isn't an issue. So if you know people who post pictures of their new guns with funny captions how do you know the person is about to snap? I've known my nephew his entire life and when he posts a picture of a new gun I don't freak out or worry that he's going to go shoot up a church.

You wouldn't be able to get pink guns if people didn't want to show them off the same way they show off cars or bikes or guitars.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/guns-of-color-pistols-pink

Just arriving to this thread but I read earlier the shooter was in full tactical gear? My first thought was Missy Bever's killer...any similarities in suspect descriptions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admit I thought of Missy too! I don't think this is the same person....but so strange to have someone in "full gear" and in a church in Texas. Missy's murderer didn't have a gun like that though, at least not in the videos we've seen.

jmopinion

Oh, that poor woman. I'm sure the hounding has already begun.

Edit: Sorry, haven't been here in a while so I've forgotten to click Reply With Quote.

I was referring to the post referencing a news article that named his wife.

I think it will be important to find out what his ex-wife and current wife have to say about him

144bb3296668e6879dfc1a158d602b09.jpg

These are the first world countries apparently. Seems odd.

I googled a bit and found some public records that showed he's been married twice. Once in 2011 and then again in 2014. Not sure how long the first marriage lasted.

I wouldn't be shocked to hear if the trouble he got into was a domestic violence situations (just speculation.)

I am also curious to know if any of his in-laws attended this church. That would definitely speak to motive. Speculation - if a relative of his wife (or is she an ex-wife as well?) went to this church...maybe he went there to harm the relative and everyone else around...then planned to take the other weapons in his car to his wife's place to do harm there as well. Again...just speculation as we have no idea yet if he knew anyone there or what.

Okay, so that would mean once while he was in the AF, it ended, and he remarried after getting out.

I think it will end up being something like that. I wonder if his wife was planning to leave or had recently left him and he blamed someone else. Maybe his wife had an ex who attended that church? Just speculating. I know when we find out what happened it probably won't make sense anyway.

I admit I thought of Missy too! I don't think this is the same person....but so strange to have someone in "full gear" and in a church in Texas. Missy's murderer didn't have a gun like that though, at least not in the videos we've seen.

jmopinion

The reports I've read have also said he was dressed all in black. Has tactical gear been confirmed? I know reports are moving rapidly.

His wife is FB friends with a girl who has the last name as the pastor of that church. His wife's FB says she lives in Sutherland Springs TX and is from there. News media reports his MIL has a P.O. box there.

Sorry ya’ll I’m stuck on this first world country thing. I was digging around and China isn’t a first world country? Don’t they have the second best economy behind the US? This has me so co fused.

The reports I've read have also said he was dressed all in black. Has tactical gear been confirmed? I know reports are moving rapidly.

Probably not confirmed. I've read all-black and I've read full-gear. Should have the straight story in tomorrow's news, I would guess.

Thanks for pointing that out.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads