TX - Cash Gernon, 4, found dead in street w/multiple wounds, Dallas, 15 May 2021 #2 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m really not familiar at all with how those proceedings work. Would a Judge be presiding in a hearing where the Defendant is under the influence to that degree? Or irrationally hysterical? Where he/she/they have to agree to serious legal arrangements?
Are these signings before a judge or when he was interviewed and charged by police?

Are these signings before a judge or when he was interviewed and charged by police?
I understood them to be at arraignment, so before a Judge.
To be fair, my source of reference is crime shows. So, I understand people get arrested, booked, then go to arraignment on charges brought by DA, then before a Judge who ratifies charges and does the evaluation and asks about needing a lawyer and sets or denies bail. Right?
I guess there’s a Wiki for this. I should read it.

Last edited:
I think DB suffers from mental illness and MS was aware of his condition by at least February 2021, if not earlier. (MS is alleged to have intervened to encourage mental health intervention versus criminal charges filed against DB after he attempted to abduct a 2yr old neighbor of MS last Feb).

I think after MS saw her plea for mental health treatment fell on deaf ears (by both the system and denial by DB's mother), I think she thought otherwise about DB and no longer wanted him in/near her home. Or that's what she told us and wants us to believe.

I think after MS learned that her ward, Cash, was the alleged victim of DB, she intentionally acted to distance herself from both his prior act and her alleged intervention.

Knowing that DB attempted to kidnap the 2 yr old and the fact he was successful at removing 4 yr old Cash from her own home must have been more than she could handle at the time. :eek:

IMO, MS did herself no favors by opening her home to DailyMail or giving interviews where she left out some very important history about herself and DB. I hope MS told investigators everything prior to talking, selectively, to DM.

MOO

Last edited:
I’m not sure he even knows what his name is. He identified himself in writing and to police as Darriynn Gill Brown. His mother is Michelle LaShawn Brown and Michelle Gill, so maybe that’s why.

@Seattle1 and @Gibbo214

I hadn't thought about the circumstances that you two brought up, regarding DB's wavering ability to sign his name. Your observations are very insightful.

It's not possible for a person to be illiterate and then be literate several hours later, so IMO your reasons seem more likely.

@Curiosa20 IMO I can't imagine that DB is so incompetent that he doesn't know his exact name. He isn't catatonic or comatose. He's capable of playing basketball with MS's son, he knows his way around the neighborhood (unfortunately), he legally had to be in school during his childhood and the teachers and students would call him by name. He certainly is mentally ill since he was being treated for it, according to his mother; but diminished capacity to that level, I don't see it. You also mentioned that he identified himself to police and " in writing." He may switch surnames between his father's name and mother's name, something like that, but it would be a defense attorney's trick to imply that he doesn't even know his own name, so he can't be found guilty. JMO.

I think DB suffers from mental illness and MS was aware of his condition by at least February 2021, if not earlier. (MS is alleged to have intervened to encourage mental health intervention versus criminal charges filed against DB after he attempted to abduct a 2yr old neighbor of MS last Feb).

I think after MS saw her plea for mental health treatment fell on deaf ears (by both the system and denial by DB's mother), I think she thought otherwise about DB and no longer wanted him in/near her home. Or that's what she told us and wants us to believe.

I think after MS learned that her ward, Cash, was the alleged victim of DB, she intentionally acted to distance herself from both his prior act and her alleged intervention.

Knowing that DB attempted to kidnap the 2 yr old and the fact he was successful at removing 4 yr old Cash from her own home must have been more than she could handle at the time. :eek:

IMO, MS did herself no favors by opening her home to DailyMail or giving interviews where she left out some very important history about herself and DB. I hope MS told investigators everything prior to talking to DM.

MOO
I wonder what DB’s history is: does he have a history as a minor, behavioral issues, crime? He just turned 18 on 12/29. Or did something change to set him off in February? Did turning 18 cause a change at home, ie, child support or Food stamps cut… something that caused him to start stealing?
Will we know these facts?
And he was ‘t a ward of MS- ahe is a user. In some document DB’s mother said “his parents” were financially responsible for him. In the first moments after DB’s arrest some man at the house identified as his step-dad.
There is no denying he removed Cash. That’s certain.
What also appears certain to me is he bounced around from lair to lair. He also appears disabled.
Being in Special Ed would explain why no one no classmates have come out to say anything or express shock. Plus, everyone IMO is probably afraid of both households.
MS and KM said DB was a friend of a son and brother then everything got bague and mealy mouth. She also said she had “older sons.”
Why did DB creep out the 16 year old daughter?
Did he “like” her? Think she was his girlfriend?

DB at booking had no cell or cell number. He shows an ID number- what is that? Is it a court assigned number? It seems it should have a state name before it if it is some kind of official ID.
He has no Driver’s License. He had $316 and change in a assets or cash at his booking or arraignment. That sounds interesting and weird.
IMO he has been used, set up, exploited, and twisted out of shape over time by more than a few people.
All rhe history starts in February. February 8. Then he was sitting in a stolen car in April, about 6.5 miles from home. How and why was he there?
What about the recovered stolen gun?
And about rhe ankle bracelet- the repoeter sie ‘t hallucinate that. She went with what someone, a neighbor out in the street when Cash was found. So, I wonder- had he had an ankle monitor and it was been removed earlier, like in January, early February? And no one had seen him much because of Covid quarantine so they went with what they remembered
I am outraged by what happened to Cash. I am sickened by so many people abandoning and betraying children and vulnerable people.

I wonder what DB’s history is: does he have a history as a minor, behavioral issues, crime? He just turned 18 on 12/29. Or did something change to set him off in February? Did turning 18 cause a change at home, ie, child support or Food stamps cut… something that caused him to start stealing?
Will we know these facts?
And he was ‘t a ward of MS- ahe is a user. In some document DB’s mother said “his parents” were financially responsible for him. In the first moments after DB’s arrest some man at the house identified as his step-dad.
There is no denying he removed Cash. That’s certain.
What also appears certain to me is he bounced around from lair to lair. He also appears disabled.
Being in Special Ed would explain why no one no classmates have come out to say anything or express shock. Plus, everyone IMO is probably afraid of both households.
MS and KM said DB was a friend of a son and brother then everything got bague and mealy mouth. She also said she had “older sons.”
Why did DB creep out the 16 year old daughter?
Did he “like” her? Think she was his girlfriend?

DB at booking had no cell or cell number. He shows an ID number- what is that? Is it a court assigned number? It seems it should have a state name before it if it is some kind of official ID.
He has no Driver’s License. He had $316 and change in a assets or cash at his booking or arraignment. That sounds interesting and weird.
IMO he has been used, set up, exploited, and twisted out of shape over time by more than a few people.
All rhe history starts in February. February 8. Then he was sitting in a stolen car in April, about 6.5 miles from home. How and why was he there?
And about rhe ankle bracelet- the repoeter sie ‘t hallucinate that. She went with what someone, a neighbor out in the street when Cash was found. So, I wonder- had he had an ankle monitor and it was been removed earlier, like in January, early February? And no one had seen him much because of Covid quarantine so they went with what they remembered
I am outraged by what happened to Cash. I am sickened by so many people abandoning and betraying children and vulnerable people.
You could say that DB was a vulnerable person too.

(snipped by me) All rhe history starts in February. February 8. Then he was sitting in a stolen car in April, about 6.5 miles from home. How and why was he there?

As you stated, if he turned 18 in December, couldn’t it be he has a longer juvenile history we don’t know about due to records about minors not being released?

As you stated, if he turned 18 in December, couldn’t it be he has a longer juvenile history we don’t know about due to records about minors not being released?
That’s precisely what I am questioning- did all this start in February or has it been going on since he was a minor? I don’t know if those records will he available. Was he seen by Metro Services because of behavioral issues or criminal or developmental issues since he was a minor, I wonder.

That’s precisely what I am questioning- did all this start in February or has it been going on since he was a minor? I don’t know if those records will he available. Was he seen by Metro Services because of behavioral issues or criminal or developmental issues since he was a minor, I wonder.

I seriously doubt this has only been going on just since February. These sorts of things don't happen overnight. I think things have been going on for a long, long time. We just don't know about them. Doesn't mean things haven't been happening.

Last edited:
I don't think DB fits that category.

I can’t say he’s a sociopath either, but isn’t it possible? He had enough wits to cover himself with a hoodie, face mask and sometimes glasses when prowling the neighborhood breaking into cars and houses at night. He had enough wits to disable ring cameras with a hammer. Just my thoughts.

I don’t really see evidence that he’s someone vulnerable with only a child-like understanding, or with psychosis or paranoia. Even when he talked to himself on video it wasn’t like crazy ramblings to me, but more like someone wrestling with their conscience or psyching themselves up to go through with it, IMO.

Not to say he isn’t immature or doesn’t have issues. I just don’t think he’s detached from reality, but instead he’s detached from any remorse. His flat, emotionless mug shots seem more arrogant to me, rather than someone with diminished capacity to understand. JMHO

This is hard to do on a phone, isn’t it?
Trying to get perspective, again.
Am I missing anything so far?

Feb. 8- Alleged Burglary and Injury of MS neighbor.
Two Felony charges.

Estimated date- End of March- Neighbor has Nest video of DB opening his gate and peering in yard. He discovered the video after Cash was murdered, said it had occurred “10 weeks before.”

Generally estimated April- Several neighbors report in community meeting on May 24th with Police, saying that they had reported DB “a month ago” for looking inside of or attempting to break into cars.

April 19- Video date of DB tampering with car and trying to break camera, reported by man at same community meeting with police.

April 27- Evading police after being discovered sitting in a stolen vehicle in Red Bird neighborhood.
One Misdemeanor charge.

May 15- alleged burglary and kidnapping of Cash.
Two Felony charges so far.

Very interesting that there are 2 *** page's both trying to get money for burial expenses. Trevor has only made $2K toward a $10K goal. It also says "We have transferred Cash and he is being prepared to be laid to rest.".

On the other hand, someone claiming to be his Aunt has made ~$14K toward a $10K goal. Pretty big differences there. The "aunt's" page says "I have set up this fundraiser to help pay for the transportation of Cash's body ".

So... did Trevor actually transfer Cash's body as his *** page states, and then the "aunt" paid him back (since $2K isn't enough and, well, $14K trumps $2K)? Something's not right here and it feels like someone (or both) is lying. It wouldn't surprise me with this case and cast of characters.

I believe the Aunt originally set up their fundraiser to pay for transportation and burial of Cash's body with any left over going to the care of Carter. They then asked for help from Trevor's side to come up with half the transportation cost $2.5k. That's why Trevor set up his own page. The discrepancy in totals $14k > $2k is probably more to do with the fact that the Aunt's page has been going much longer. Seems like both family's are not in great shape financially, pages seem legit so i'm not reading too much into it.

I’m not reading much into the fact he signed some documents and didn’t sign others.

Was he physically in the court room or was it a virtual hearing? I believe the judge signs the documents are they are brought to the jail later for the inmate to sign if it’s a virtual hearing.

I know DB was in ‘observation’ when he was initially booked into the jail based on his location in the jail data. Inmates on ‘observation’ don’t go to arraignments, hearings, visitation, church services etc.

Was he on ‘observation’ due to his refusal to cooperate with the intake nurse who evaluated inmates for mental health issues? Was it because he indicated a desire for self-harm - known as suicide watch? Or was it something to do with Covid quarantine until his Covid test came back? idk

Info on the video system used by the courts. During Covid, this system replaced and expanded on an older system.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/solutions/industries/docs/gov/cisco_dallas_county.pdf

State and Local Courts Embrace Video Magistration Amid the Pandemic

DB Able/Unable to Sign?
@Curiosa20 sbm Thanks for taking the time to track this down. Good catch :) on Evading Misdemeanor "Arraignment Packet"* re typed notation "Defendant Incapable of Signing" and on a diff page, DB's handwritten signature, separated by 3 1/2 hours.
Why an "incapable" notation, apparently a discrepancy?

And thanks to @SandyQLS :) for posting links. my2ct
* p. 1. "Arraignment Sheet" .................. 4/27 11:17 pm
p. 2. "Instructions" "Preliminary" ........ 4/27 11:17 pm
p. 3. "Bond Condition Orders" ............ 4/27 11:17 pm
p. 4. "Election of Counsel".................. 4/27 11:17 pm..."Incapable of Signing"
p. 5. "Magistrate's Admonishment" …. 4/27 11:17 pm
p. 6. Financial Questionnaire" ............ 4/27 7:43 pm ... DB's Signature

^ 4/30 "Arraignment Packet" re: Misdemeanor, Evading Arrest Detention, M2155422
https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty.org/PublicAccessEP1/CriminalCourts
https://obpublicaccess.dallascounty...ViewDocument&overlay=Print&overrideFormat=PDF

My only thought is that at 11:17 pm DB was incapable of signing due to medication/mental state, or some other incapacitating incident. To my mind, it's a wording error; perhaps it should have been "unable" to sign as he is, judging by the entry at 7:43 PM, able to sign or make his mark.

I agree. This is a common notation when a defendant's hands are shackled and authorities will not loosen. Given DB signed a few hours later -- I think this was the case here.

I think the timing is the opposite way around: he signed at 7:43 PM but was incapable of doing so approximately 3 1/2 hours later which would indicate he was probably medicated and/or restrained. The correct term to use should have been "unable".

I have a family member with some mental health issues. She really struggles and is medicated.

She has 3 kids and is really a sweet lady. Can’t hold a job but she really tries. She has been hospitalized a few times, the last one being earlier this month. She has seasons in life where she’s doing super great, and other times she’s just so lost.

All of this to say that living with serious mental health issues IS possible and just because you have those issues it doesn’t mean you’re going to be violent.

I don’t know if DB was being medicated, but he was receiving some sort of help. What went wrong? I’m not saying that he shouldn’t have been allowed to go out like any other 18-year-old but I can’t believe his parents didn’t realize he was doing stuff he wasn’t supposed to. It was only a matter of time until he really hurt someone.

Having a healthy young adult at home doing the stuff DB was doing is hard but as a parent you can say “knock it off, get a job or you don’t get to live here anymore”, but how come they didn’t do something with DB? By all accounts he wasn’t violent with his family but they had to know, the neighbors were complaining.

Could he be having a first psychotic break? He’s at the age. His behavior is bizarre, maybe paranoid? People who do not know the signs/symptoms may rationalize his behavior or even blame his behavior on drugs. I don’t know enough about him to determine if he meets DSM-5 criteria but thought I would bring it up. I added an article about a similar tragedy because it gives some insight.

Hartford teen was in midst of psychotic break when he stabbed uncle to death, doctor testifies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member