TX - Cash Gernon, 4, found dead in street w/multiple wounds, Dallas, 15 May 2021 #2 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"But Harris says that is not Brown in the video.

"They may have a witness that is testifying that it’s Brown, but I want an opportunity to challenge that witness," Harris said. "Even if you believe that is Brown in the video taking Cash out of the crib, ok then what happened? What happened? You have three seconds."

Court records also revealed in February Brown broke into a home a few doors down from where the 4-year-old lived, assaulted a homeowner and tried to take his 2-year-old granddaughter. The grandfather only pressed charges three days after Cash was found dead.

According to court documents, the grandfather did not press charges right away because Monica Sherrod claimed Brown was going through a mental crisis and would sometimes stay at her house.

Harris confirms Brown had been to a mental health facility but was later released.

"Based on what I believe, I am going to be able to support this kid is schizophrenic," he said. "We want to see if this was a situation where it’s a ‘who done it?’ Or a simple question of, ‘why wasn’t this prevented?’"

Attorney claims man accused of killing Dallas 4-year-old is schizophrenic

Well, the attorney can only stick to one of those two stories--it wasn't him on the video OR he is schizophrenic. I think he has a better chance with the mental illness defense because it definitely seems like only someone with a mental illness would/could do such a thing. So sad :(.

Well, the attorney can only stick to one of those two stories--it wasn't him on the video OR he is schizophrenic. I think he has a better chance with the mental illness defense because it definitely seems like only someone with a mental illness would/could do such a thing. So sad :(.

It seems the attorney is throwing everything out there to see what sticks. He says: 1) it may not be DB in the video; 2) even if it is, someone else may have killed Cash; 3) even if he killed Cash he did it because he’s schizophrenic (even though he says in another article he hasn’t seen evidence to that effect yet). This isn’t how I’m used to attorneys representing their clients... usually they get professionals to assess mental capacity first.

If DB is seriously schizophrenic, he could sincerely believe that was not him in the video. It is hard to explain, but my brother used to deny that he was in family photos we would show him.

And he was sincere. He would say it was not him, it was someone else and we shouldn't be tricked by believing that was him at the Thanksgiving Dinner last year....o_O:confused:

He wasn't lying, he was mentally ill and delusional at times.

I cannot diagnose DB, and maybe he is just faking it. But there is a possibility he is delusional or mentally ill or suffering from major drug issues, which can also create psychosis, etc.

Attorney interview today June 1 — excerpt pasted in, see link
…."Based on what I believe, I am going to be able to support this kid is schizophrenic," he said. "We want to see if this was a situation where it’s a ‘who done it?’ Or a simple question of, ‘why wasn’t this prevented?’"…
A motive still a mystery.
The medical examiner said the autopsy report is not available yet and could take more than month before it’s released.

If DB is seriously schizophrenic, he could sincerely believe that was not him in the video. It is hard to explain, but my brother used to deny that he was in family photos we would show him.

And he was sincere. He would say it was not him, it was someone else and we shouldn't be tricked by believing that was him at the Thanksgiving Dinner last year....o_O:confused:

I cannot diagnose DB, and maybe he is just faking it. But there is a possibility he is delusional or mentally ill or suffering from major drug issues, which can also create psychosis, etc.
Thank you.
I can’t diagnose him either but I have had several close relationships with people diagnosed as schizophrenic, too.
What’s different about DB is his smile. I see very calm with no affect, blank gaze. I have never seen a calm, smiling schizophrenic in a stressful situation such as when he had just been arrested and posed for his Mug shot. Have you?

Justice for Cash.

It seems the attorney is throwing everything out there to see what sticks. He says: 1) it may not be DB in the video; 2) even if it is, someone else may have killed Cash; 3) even if he killed Cash he did it because he’s schizophrenic (even though he says in another article he hasn’t seen evidence to that effect yet). This isn’t how I’m used to attorneys representing their clients... usually they get professionals to assess mental capacity first.
That is what the attorney's job is. To give an adequate defence to his client. It is not personal.

Thank you.
I can’t diagnose him either but I have had several close relationships with people diagnosed as schizophrenic, too.
What’s different about DB is his smile. I see very calm with no affect, blank gaze. I have never seen a calm, smiling schizophrenic in a stressful situation such as when he had just been arrested and posed for his Mug shot. Have you?

Justice for Cash.
I have. Forty years as an RN. I have seen all kinds of reactions.

My brother in law would do that, but in reverse. He would tell us all to 'come and look at this', which was a news item with police present and would point himself out, and that the police were there, not because of the subject of the news item, he insisted it was because they were following him, but it was not him that he was pointing out.
When we would tell him 'that is not you', he would accuse us of being blind and in league with 'them'.

My brother in law would do that, but in reverse. He would tell us all to 'come and look at this', which was a news item with police present and would point himself out, and that the police were there, not because of the subject of the news item, he insisted it was because they were following him, but it was not him that he was pointing out.
When we would tell him 'that is not you', he would accuse us of being blind and in league with 'them'.
Yes, that is more typical. It generally seems that they are fearful of government, religion, mind hacking type things..... the times I saw violence, it was more of a response to delusions. I dont ever remember someone with Schizophrenia seeking out a victim and then lying/ covering up (Borderline PD, yes). It doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just generally did not see it this way.

There was a situation here where a guy got the gun from a police officer and shot her (and killed her, sadly). He stood there with the gun pointed at her until the police arrived. He thought he had just got one of the "bad guys". He didn't try to hide or lie because his delusions had him thinking he was in the right. That is more of what I have seen. Or maybe run and hide in fear. Not seeking out, stalking, murdering, then claiming to not be there. The one time I did have a guy who was stalking a girl and writing letters threatening to kill her, he was clear that "God" was telling him to do it. He admitted it. The fact that a person knows well enough to lie about the crime usually means its because they knew well enough that it was wrong.

In my opinion, darriynn did this alone. He does have mental health issues. But they did not keep him from knowing it was wrong to murder a child. He has some compulsion to stalk, harm, probably torture and murder children. He gains joy in terrorizing. And he has serious mental health issues. All of the above.

In my opinion, part 2.... someone should have been on top of this. He lived with parents, went to school and got services at the mental health center. We know he was out of control since at least February. Someone should have managed him since then!! They had a duty to both him and the members of the community. And they were failed, at the expense of a tiny little child.

Yes, that is more typical. It generally seems that they are fearful of government, religion, mind hacking type things..... the times I saw violence, it was more of a response to delusions. I dont ever remember someone with Schizophrenia seeking out a victim and then lying/ covering up (Borderline PD, yes). It doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just generally did not see it this way.

There was a situation here where a guy got the gun from a police officer and shot her (and killed her, sadly). He stood there with the gun pointed at her until the police arrived. He thought he had just got one of the "bad guys". He didn't try to hide or lie because his delusions had him thinking he was in the right. That is more of what I have seen. Or maybe run and hide in fear. Not seeking out, stalking, murdering, then claiming to not be there. The one time I did have a guy who was stalking a girl and writing letters threatening to kill her, he was clear that "God" was telling him to do it. He admitted it. The fact that a person knows well enough to lie about the crime usually means its because they knew well enough that it was wrong.

In my opinion, darriynn did this alone. He does have mental health issues. But they did not keep him from knowing it was wrong to murder a child. He has some compulsion to stalk, harm, probably torture and murder children. He gains joy in terrorizing. And he has serious mental health issues. All of the above.

In my opinion, part 2.... someone should have been on top of this. He lived with parents, went to school and got services at the mental health center. We know he was out of control since at least February. Someone should have managed him since then!! They had a duty to both him and the members of the community. And they were failed, at the expense of a tiny little child.
I disagree.

Does schizophrenia ever work as a defense? I know insanity defenses are rarely successful.
So, I went back to the exact case I talked about above, to see what happened. This article is old, so there might be more updates, but he was found incompetent and sent to a mental health inpatient facility for life.

Man who killed New Orleans police officer Nicola Cotton ruled 'incompetent,' will not stand trial

His diagnosis is Schizophrenia. The best way I try to explain Schizophrenia is it is like a person's dream state crossing into reality. It is not "multiple personalities", as some people think. It usually exhibits in late teens, early adults and more in males than females. It is terrifying for both the person and the people who care about them. IF a successful medication combo can be found for that person (one size does not fit all here!!!), a person can function fairly well, in society. It also has degrees of severity, like most diseases. We can call this my opinion.

According to court documents, the grandfather did not press charges right away because Monica Sherrod claimed Brown was going through a mental crisis and would sometimes stay at her house.

If this is correct it would suggest that at about that point in time, MS decided DB's issues were more than she wanted to expose her household to and his welcome at the Sherrod residence was revoked. Also explains to me her upset on finding DB in her home with her teens and the Gernon twins when she was out and her comments about not wanting him around the twins.

That is what the attorney's job is. To give an adequate defence to his client. It is not personal.

I agree. Even though I'm not used to this "throw out all the possibilities" approach by a lawyer, this case is unusual because MS released that video to the media and the defense attorney's trying to address it.

I figured she released the video because she wanted Cash & Carter's dad, and the rest of the world, to know it wasn't her or one of her kids that killed Cash. Strong motivation — made me understand why she did so, even if I disagree with her actions. Similarly, the attorney is now trying to counteract that video to get his client a fair trial — so even though I think normally a defense attorney should solidify a defense before going public, I understand why he's trying to poke a variety of holes in it.

I just wish something would have been done before this happened to Cash. When DB punched the grandpa in the forehead and tried to abduct the 2 yr. old girl that should have been enough to know he was dangerous and take preventative action.

I figured she released the video because she wanted Cash & Carter's dad, and the rest of the world, to know it wasn't her or one of her kids that killed Cash. Strong motivation — made me understand why she did so, even if I disagree with her actions.

<Snipped for focus>

I'm more apt to believe she did it for the money they paid her for the vid. JMO

I agree. Even though I'm not used to this "throw out all the possibilities" approach by a lawyer, this case is unusual because MS released that video to the media and the defense attorney's trying to address it.

I figured she released the video because she wanted Cash & Carter's dad, and the rest of the world, to know it wasn't her or one of her kids that killed Cash. Strong motivation — made me understand why she did so, even if I disagree with her actions. Similarly, the attorney is now trying to counteract that video to get his client a fair trial — so even though I think normally a defense attorney should solidify a defense before going public, I understand why he's trying to poke a variety of holes in it.

I just wish something would have been done before this happened to Cash. When DB punched the grandpa in the forehead and tried to abduct the 2 yr. old girl that should have been enough to know he was dangerous and take preventative action.
BBM. I cant quite believe that LE left it up to the grandpa whether to charge him or not when an attempted abduction of a child occurred.

Been looking at the video - all of the DM videos - taking screenshots, zooming in. Edit: tried to upload a side-by-side comparison, but it was rushed and poorly sized. But I do not think it's the same person in the two parts of the video. Yes, DB's mugshot looks like the face in the night portion of the video. What if, hypothetically, someone committed this crime with the intention of pinning it on DB, all along? I've noticed a bunch of details that just don't sit right. Until I saw the mugshot comparison, I didn't think it was the same person in the two parts of the video. After seeing that, I thought it looked like DB. It may be DB. But I'm not sure that both are DB after looking at different angles. The person who took Cash is wearing an Adidas jacket of some sort. Can see the logo as he is walking out of the room with Cash. The person at night seems to have a headband on, backpack, glasses, and IMO is communicating with someone, fidgeting with glasses or headphones. I think whoever took Cash in that video was waiting for someone else, probably in a car. Person in the day looks like someone who isn't trying to hide anything, could be talking to someone in the other room. The person at night seems nervous, but also comfortable in the environment. Looks like he has no worries re: being caught. Rather, it looks like he's waiting on the "go" sign IMO. I don't believe DB just came back in the morning coming back for Carter, walking right in front of the camera, different outfit, not hurting Carter. It looks like he's being told to check on Carter so that he walks in front of the camera. But he hasn't been charged with murder. I'm not his attorney but what his attorney said is valid. The DM wants the "boy kidnapped on camera" story. The DM is not concerned with who killed Cash or justice for the killer in sharing this story. It matters and it's interfering with this case. The "brother" giving a tour of the house, saying what happened - to the DM?! What? Not to LE, but to a tabloid paper, within days of the crime? It's unfair to all parties in this case, has compromised the investigation, and has led to DB being declared guilty by media for something he hasn't been charged with. The DM wants views and clicks. I want justice for CG. I think DB is being framed. I don't think DB killed Cash.

Last edited:
Been looking at the video - all of the DM videos - taking screenshots, zooming in. Can only seem to upload this one for now - it isn't a great example. But I do not think it's the same person in the two parts of the video. Yes, DB's mugshot looks like the face in the night portion of the video.
<Snipped for focus>

One thing that stands out to me, and it just might be the angle of the 2nd photo, is that the pants at the thigh area are wider in the first pic, and narrower in the second. JMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member