TX - Cash Gernon, 4, found dead in street w/multiple wounds, Dallas, 15 May 2021 #2 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"But Harris says that is not Brown in the video.

"They may have a witness that is testifying that it’s Brown, but I want an opportunity to challenge that witness," Harris said. "Even if you believe that is Brown in the video taking Cash out of the crib, ok then what happened? What happened? You have three seconds."

Court records also revealed in February Brown broke into a home a few doors down from where the 4-year-old lived, assaulted a homeowner and tried to take his 2-year-old granddaughter. The grandfather only pressed charges three days after Cash was found dead.

According to court documents, the grandfather did not press charges right away because Monica Sherrod claimed Brown was going through a mental crisis and would sometimes stay at her house.

Harris confirms Brown had been to a mental health facility but was later released.

"Based on what I believe, I am going to be able to support this kid is schizophrenic," he said. "We want to see if this was a situation where it’s a ‘who done it?’ Or a simple question of, ‘why wasn’t this prevented?’"

Attorney claims man accused of killing Dallas 4-year-old is schizophrenic

"Darriynn Brown, 18, is charged with kidnapping 4-year old Cash Gernon and could face an additional charge for the boy's murder. He is also charged with burglary."

Brown and his attorney, Heath Harris, say he’s not guilty on all current charges, despite Dallas police saying capital murder charges are likely coming when the forensic exam is complete.

Just seeing this article. "Could" and "likely". That's the problem. Did DPD say anywhere that murder charges were coming other than at the city council event? Why would they say that? How about we wait and find out? Some media organizations seem to really, really want DB to be the lone person involved in this crime. The attorney says he can "support that DB has schizophrenia". He didn't say "DB has schizophrenia". He may have schizophrenia. It doesn't mean he murdered Cash. His attorney is doing his job, and this story contains one sentence on the matter. It crossed my mind the other day that a severe mental health episode could explain change in demeanor seen on camera. I do not believe that is what happened and bring it up only because the attorney did. The article also mentions that charges are "likely" coming, but at the end says the autopsy report can take up to a month. Subpar reporting. It's possible someone tried to exploit DB's mental health issues. The only person I'm aware of who identified DB in the surveillance footage was MS, and it's her own surveillance footage. DB's attorney knows what he's doing. Even the title of the article is misleading IMO. Attorney did not say "DB is schizophrenic". Attorney did say that he doesn't believe it's DB on video. That could have been the title of the article. Justice for CG.

Last edited:
"Darriynn Brown, 18, is charged with kidnapping 4-year old Cash Gernon and could face an additional charge for the boy's murder. He is also charged with burglary."

Brown and his attorney, Heath Harris, say he’s not guilty on all current charges, despite Dallas police saying capital murder charges are likely coming when the forensic exam is complete.

Just seeing this article. "Could" and "likely". That's the problem. Did DPD say anywhere that murder charges were coming other than at the city council event? Why would they say that? How about we wait and find out? Some media organizations seem to really, really want DB to be the lone person involved in this crime. The attorney says he can "support that DB has schizophrenia". He didn't say "DB has schizophrenia". He may have schizophrenia. It doesn't mean he murdered Cash. His attorney is doing his job, and this story contains one sentence on the matter. It crossed my mind the other day that a severe mental health episode could explain change in demeanor seen on camera. I do not believe that is what happened and bring it up only because the attorney did. The article also mentions that charges are "likely" coming, but at the end says the autopsy report can take up to a month. Subpar reporting. It's possible someone tried to exploit DB's mental health issues. The only person I'm aware of who identified DB in the surveillance footage was MS, and it's her own surveillance footage. DB's attorney knows what he's doing. Even the title of the article is misleading IMO. Attorney did not say "DB is schizophrenic". Attorney did say that he doesn't believe it's DB on video. That could have been the title of the article. Justice for CG.
I am totally in two minds. I couldn't say either way.

<Snipped for focus>

One thing that stands out to me, and it just might be the angle of the 2nd photo, is that the pants at the thigh area are wider in the first pic, and narrower in the second. JMO...

I agree. It's not a good side-by-side comparison on my part. Apologies - deleted it.

Last edited:
I agree. It's a terrible side-by-side comparison on my part. Apologies. If I can remove the attachment I will.

Since you were capturing screenshots at various times... can you find one that shows the thighs from a different angle so we'd know one way or the other if they are wider like the first photo, or still narrow like the second? I think this is important. If all other views in the 2nd part of the video show a thin thigh area... then there might be something there. Not everyone thinks they are the same person and some have even mentioned that the 1st part of the vid looks like someone else. TIA

Since you were capturing screenshots at various times... can you find one that shows the thighs from a different angle so we'd know one way or the other if they are wider like the first photo, or still narrow like the second? I think this is important. If all other views in the 2nd part of the video show a thin thigh area... then there might be something there. Not everyone thinks they are the same person and some have even mentioned that the 1st part of the vid looks like someone else. TIA
And the shoes? Are they the same. My eyes are too old to make them out.

That is a sensationalized headline.

As is "Attorney claims man accused of killing Dallas 4-year-old is schizophrenic". Correct me if I'm wrong, but DB's attorney didn't claim DB has schizophrenia. "Based on what I believe, I am going to be able to support this kid is schizophrenic" is the quote. He's an attorney. He said he wants all the evidence to come out and that DB is not the person seen on camera. Media picking and choosing, mixing words.

I’ve been looking at access from MS house and Saddleback location where Cash was found.
I saw way back the first few days that someone suggested DB could have rambled around to get from point A to B. I don’t think that’s plausible.
After leaving the alley behind Florina Pkwy, MS house, there are 4 houses on the alley where it then hits Ashcrest. Then 2 houses to Isom, which runs 6 blocks straight up to Saddleback Road, an intersection on the 7500 block of Saddleback where poor little Cash was found, I guess just half a block from the intersection.
Inconceivable to me that he would walk all that. Also unfathomable that there are no reports of videos from resident’s homes all along that route.
Out the front door of MS house there are no houses, just a wide open road and an extensive wooded area.
I still don’t get KS explanation of how DB got in the house, either. Did he imply that DB broke the chain off the garage door, too?

I am bothered, too, by the 3 seconds video. And at the end of the return video of him looking at Carter, I think I heard him say “been asleep or been sleepin for 8 hours.” That little segment is very strange. And the curtains are down. Why?
Along the shoddy reporting lines and the tone of media, you know what is also troublesome? The only on camera, TV interview I’ve seen was done and posted online a few days ago- Friday- by Univision- a DFW local Spanish language station.
Granted, there are a lot of murders in and around Dallas lately, but one would think some serious independent investigation attention would be placed on this case and stop treating it so superficially.
The few seconds of videos that we’ve seen, or their existence, didn’t come up until after the detectives told her that her 15 year old, while being interviewed in another room, told the police that she has “cameras all over the house? ” And she looked at them on her phone and screamed in the interview room? After how many hours? I know she tried to explain all that away, but I don’t buy it. So much is missing.
Do I need to post the video of her saying that, again? Justice for Cash

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone else was involved. Nobody else was working with DB in the 2yr old girl incident. Nobody seen alongside him when he was prowling the neighborhood other nights. It seems very far-fetched to me. Much more likely that either he’s a serial creeper and thief who escalated to murder, or he’s schizophrenic and acted out while detached from reality — or both. But not that he’s been set up, or had a partner in crime. He seems to work alone and there is no obvious motive for anyone else to be involved. JMO

And the shoes? Are they the same. My eyes are too old to make them out.

This is what has thrown me. DB apparently changed shoes, got rid of the backpack, hoodie and glasses. I honestly can’t tell about his pants and I don’t think the shirt is visible in the first video.

I do think it’s DB in the entire video. But I can’t figure out any of it.

DNA results only take a day or two to return, don’t they? Not to mention the discovery and LE possession of bloody clothes and a murder weapon. Where is that evidence?
Those results and objects would be plenty for a Murder charge. Not to mention a video of him walking out of the house and then neighbors/residents Nests/Rings etc taping him as he marched down all those blocks. I really don’t understand why it is going to take a month long forensic analysis before charges can be brought against him for Murder. This is clearly not simple or cut and dry.

@Curiosa20 Thx for your post. sbm Maybe I missed it but not not recall LE or MSM saying LE recovered bloody clothes associated w abduction.
Link pls? Anyone? TiA.
I’m sorry, ir was a question.
I meant that as a question. I was saying it takes a few days to process DNA. And where is the rest of the evidence- clothes, murder weapon,etc. to be able to file Murder charges. Don’t they have anything is basically my question.

I don’t think anyone else was involved. Nobody else was working with DB in the 2yr old girl incident. Nobody seen alongside him when he was prowling the neighborhood other nights. It seems very far-fetched to me. Much more likely that either he’s a serial creeper and thief who escalated to murder, or he’s schizophrenic and acted out while detached from reality — or both. But not that he’s been set up, or had a partner in crime. He seems to work alone and there is no obvious motive for anyone else to be involved. JMO
BBM. I am not convinced that that took place or happened as grandpa said it did. I cannot believe a police officer would treat the abduction of a child so lightly.
First it was reported that grandpa did not report it to LE, then it was that he did report it but did not press charges. Very strange, I think.

Excessive Wait?
DNA results only take a day or two to return, don’t they? .... I really don’t understand why it is going to take a month long forensic analysis before charges can be brought against him for Murder....
@Curiosa20 bbm sbm
1. Re: "DNA results only take a day or two to return, don’t they?"
Not trying to be a smart-aleck, but timetable on cases IRL does not work like movies or TV shows.

2. Re: Timing for a Murder Charge. Easy for any of us to say --- this info/evd (a, b, c, x, y, and z) proves DB killed Cash, so LE should have arrested him already or should arrest him next wk/next yr, etc. But a couple points:

Once the arrest is made, the clock on def's right to a speedy trial starts ticking and there may be limited time for investigators to collect additional evd, have forensics analysis done on new evd, etc.
And under U.S. law the accused is presumed innocent until guilt is proved beyond a reasonable doubt, an extreeeemely high standard of proof for prosecutor to meet.

I think we're all looking forward to the killer sitting behind prison bars for decades to come. W DB in county jail on multiple charges other than murder and w his high bail, if & when LE & prosecutor have sufficient evd for murder or other homicide charges against him (and perhaps others), at least LE should not have any difficulty locating him. IOW no reason to rush. my2ct.

Last edited:
Inconceivable to me that he would walk all that. Also unfathomable that there are no reports of videos from resident’s homes all along that route

[QUOTE="Curiosa20, post: 16848961, member: 261494"Not to mention a video of him walking out of the house and then neighbors/residents Nests/Rings etc taping him as he marched down all those blocks. [/QUOTE]

SBM

I think it's just DB, although I understand your point that he may have gotten into a car and therefore none of the surveillance devices spotted him.

However, then why haven't any of the surveillance devices taped DB or anyone else dragging or carrying Cash to a car, or Cash straggling or being led or being deposited where he was found? That was a residential neighborhood, too.

IMO such surveillance videos do exist, but were (properly) given to LE and not to a newspaper. We will know when we know.

If DB is seriously schizophrenic, he could sincerely believe that was not him in the video. It is hard to explain, but my brother used to deny that he was in family photos we would show him.

And he was sincere. He would say it was not him, it was someone else and we shouldn't be tricked by believing that was him at the Thanksgiving Dinner last year....o_O:confused:

He wasn't lying, he was mentally ill and delusional at times.

I cannot diagnose DB, and maybe he is just faking it. But there is a possibility he is delusional or mentally ill or suffering from major drug issues, which can also create psychosis, etc.

He can argue for his client's disassociation from his own self, but that won't fly in court I don't think.

There's a map of the neighborhood showing Cash's house and where he was dropped in the street. There's a field/land behind the row of homes leading to where he was found. My thoughts are DB avoided some cameras going to and from using the field/land. And...sadly, Cash was probably murdered there also. There might be cameras on the street he was found, hopefully.

I forgot the addresses to link a map. My apologies.

BBM. I am not convinced that that took place or happened as grandpa said it did. I cannot believe a police officer would treat the abduction of a child so lightly.
First it was reported that grandpa did not report it to LE, then it was that he did report it but did not press charges. Very strange, I think.

I don't know why the grandpa would lie... it sounds like police were called but DB was taken to a mental facility and not arrested.

"According to court documents, the grandfather did not press charges right away because Monica Sherrod claimed Brown was going through a mental crisis and would sometimes stay at her house.

Harris confirms Brown had been to a mental health facility but was later released."
Attorney claims man accused of killing Dallas 4-year-old is schizophrenic

"At the time of the incident, the homeowner decided not to press charges."
'Sorry For Trying To Take Your Grandchild', Suspect In Cash Gernon Homicide Grabbed Sleeping 2-Year-Old In February

@Curiosa20 bbm sbm
1. Re: "DNA results only take a day or two to return, don’t they?"
Not trying to be a smart-aleck, but timetable on cases IRL does not work like movies or TV shows.
Actually the FBI is training LE that has invested in new DNA processing methods to use a new DNA rapid testing system for individuals, not crime scenes. Results can be achieved within 1-4 hours. Then entered in the national CODIS system. Dallas is enrolled in CODIS.
That is great for finding out if someone is in the system already and to have the DNA identified quickly.
And for crime scenes, complex analysis takes about 60 hours according to this reputable source link below ; granted that would assume staffing and other issues don’t arise. But still 1 month seems excessive. I guess part of time involved would depend on priorities.
I wonder since the FBI arrested DB, not Dallas PD, would FBI lab process forensics?
Anybody know?
PATC Articles- DNA Testing Timeline

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads