GUILTY TX - Christina Morris, 23, Plano, 30 August 2014 - #35 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SteveS if they convicted him of AK then later find her body would they bother to try him then for murder (i guess it depends how many years he got).

That's really hard to answer, but imo they probably would, as it carries the ability to end his life in exchange for ending her life, assuming EA hasn't offered up her whereabouts in exchange for an assurance that he won't get death. And, as you say, it may also depend on how much of a sentence he gets for AK, but I'm answering under the assumption he's going to get 99 years for the AK. (As I see it, every day he's silent, and continues to add to the torture of her family, is going to be one more straw on the camel's back when we get to jury deciding whether to show him any mercy or not.)

Bad boys and sexy type women.
We need to promote new role models for young women.
How can we get out from under this common trap?

Just struck me (at a deeper level) that the stories behind Christina's role models are
pretty tragic. Also outdated personas (my mother's era).
I made a joke myself about being Marilyn Monroe. Why would I want to be her? Crazy.

Violence against women happens whether they are sexy or not. Grandmas get raped. Your words make me think of something iconic rather than something real, but sometimes cultural icons become reality, become new cultural icons again. Think Jean Harlow, Marilyn Monroe, Madonna, Lady Gaga, on and on. Hitchcock played with the stereotypes of hot blonde vs. cool blonde and discussed sexuality quite a bit. As far as role models go, I think culture looms larger than anyone's parenting skills. Yet so much in life is just luck. Good luck. Bad luck.

I don't think Christina was a woman who was waiting for someone like EA to just happen in her life. I don't think he was actually looking for her in particular. It was probably a matter of opportunity for him and bad luck for Christina, although if there was stalking going on, perhaps LE will present that as part of their case.

I realize that after this time, she may not be found. That is horrible for her family and I hope searches continue. In the meantime, I am quite willing for justice to play its role.

This is not no-body murder case, so you're comparing apples to oranges. Both Kidnapping and Murder are crimes, but not the same elements to prove.

With EA's crime against CM, it's a never-seen-again abduction, and an arrest for that abduction. There is no need to prove a death, and the lack of Christina's whereabouts ever since will actually help further validate she was abducted.

At some point, they may opt to pursue capital murder charges as well, and go for the death penalty for what he's done, but they don't have to at this time, if they don't want to. And the AK can put him away forever so there's really no incentive to add the murder charge unless they have plenty to prove the murder with the capital elements. That having been said, murder-without-a-body charges are very doable.

I'm no lawyer & don't know much about Texas criminal procedure or statutes but I don't see how they could convict him for kidnapping unless they have a struggle recorded on video or some text message she managed to send out after the kidnapping. Seems like that charge would be more difficult to prove BARD than murder or manslaughter would be.

Without some kind of evidence, the defense could claim she puked on his shirt or a floor mat and he stuck it in the trunk because of the smell. She wandered near a dumpster, fell in and off she went with the rest of the garbage. (That's not what I think happened but right now it's just as reasonable to me as the abduction.)

JMO

I'm no lawyer & don't know much about Texas criminal procedure or statutes but I don't see how they could convict him for kidnapping unless they have a struggle recorded on video or some text message she managed to send out after the kidnapping. Seems like that charge would be more difficult to prove BARD than murder or manslaughter would be.

Without some kind of evidence, the defense could claim she puked on his shirt or a floor mat and he stuck it in the trunk because of the smell. She wandered near a dumpster, fell in and off she went with the rest of the garbage. (That's not what I think happened but right now it's just as reasonable to me as the abduction.)

JMO

I'm far from a lawyer too but...
Christina was last seen with EA
EA lied about being with her
Police then find traces of DNA in his car belonging to Christina
Then the fact that.. Well.. christina is gone- missing... Add those up and it looks like kidnapping to me.

Your scenario of her falling in the dumpster is interesting! :rollercoaster:

All kinds of theories or possibilities thrown on this board!

JMO

Well, I don't think any jury in their right mind would believe that type of scenario.. The DNA evidence indicated the presence of blood, not vomit. I realize the "reasonable doubt" for verdicts, but juries are made up of human beings, not robots... (not being "snarky")... To me the current evidence against EA is overwhelming..

http://starlocalmedia.com/allenamer...cle_1793280c-9d2f-11e4-94a7-ff06623ae6a4.html

In a recent case in Plano Tx, the murderer was convicted (deliberated for only 45min) of CAPITAL murder, even though no one physically saw her nor was she caught on video killing the child.

My point being is that no one needs to have seen EA kidnap (or kill) CM nor does the act(s) need to be caught on video for a conviction to occur. Some things are common sense for people on a jury in this county.

Yes, two different cases entirely, but my point is that the law states that a "reasonable person" would believe the crime occurred with the evidence provided. Some (Most) cases are circumstantial as in no body, no video, no motives, no hard core proof, nothing but pieces of evidence.

The defense can offer up any ridiculous theory they want to present...but Imo that is exactly how it will appear to the jury, ridiculous. EA's lies, mad cleaning spree, being late to work, his injuries etc...don't exactly support any theory that does not include taking/harming Christina Imo.

Not to mention her DNA in his trunk...

JMO

The legal problem with those "alternative scenarios" is that they (a) conflict with a whole string of other excuses EA has offered, (b) EA is almost certain not to testify, so there's no way to introduce another (false) alibi to replace the whole string of failed ones he's already tried, and (c) even if he could somehow get yet another story into evidence and get it believed (both virtually impossible), it still won't really get him off the hook.

Jury common sense - the ability to put a simple 2 + 2 together - is part of their process of getting to a verdict. They don't have to have a video, or a recording, to understand how people act and what their actions reveal. Just the facts, plus common sense to understand what that shows.

One possibility is that he doesn't try to create some sort of new alternative scenario, of course. But if he does:
1 In order for him to admit any scenario that puts CM's DNA in his trunk, he has to further trash his own credibility (in light of his claims he didn't walk her to her car, didn't see where she went, didn't know what happened to her, she was never in his car, and on and on).
2 Then he has to explain where she went after she actually did go near his car, get in his car, and so on.
3 He also has to explain why he would lie about such important facts in finding her if he didn't actually cause her to go missing.

IMO none of that would pass the sniff test of a jury, and they'd revert back to the obvious - which is, her DNA ended up in his trunk because he put her in his trunk.

And that's your Kidnapping: she obviously would not have been in his trunk willingly (or for her welfare), so she must have been there against her will. I would think it's a case that most first-year law students could win, frankly, and that's without knowing all the other evidence they have to buttress that damning proof.

In a recent case in Plano Tx, the murderer was convicted (deliberated for only 45min) of CAPITAL murder, even though no one physically saw her nor was she caught on video killing the child.

My point being is that no one needs to have seen EA kidnap (or kill) CM nor does the act(s) need to be caught on video for a conviction to occur. I guess some things are just common sense for people on a jury in this county.

Yes, two different cases entirely, but my point is that the law states that a "reasonable person" would believe the crime occurred with the evidence provided. Some (Most) cases are circumstantial as in no body, no video, no motives, no hard core proof, nothing but pieces of evidence.

Same prosecutor that was at EA's hearing...

This might be a dumb question, but I've been wondering about it for awhile. I keep seeing over and over that "two spots" of CM's DNA were found in the trunk. In news articles, I've seen "more than trace amounts of DNA" and Jonni also said “I think the hardest part is knowing there is a lot more DNA than we thought was in the car." That makes it sound as if there are puddles of DNA. So how is it just "two spots"?
http:// www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/New-Information-Revealed-in-Christina-Morris-Disappearance-288713941.html

This might be a dumb question, but I've been wondering about it for awhile. I keep seeing over and over that "two spots" of CM's DNA were found in the trunk. In news articles, I've seen "more than trace amounts of DNA" and Jonni also said “I think the hardest part is knowing there is a lot more DNA than we thought was in the car." That makes it sound as if there are puddles of DNA. So how is it just "two spots"?
http:// www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/New-Information-Revealed-in-Christina-Morris-Disappearance-288713941.html
They don't give the size of the spots, but indicate it is an area covering a good portion of the trunk floor.

I agree on better role models. I will not listen to certain musicians or watch some shows even if I like it because I'm pretty grossed out by certain "celebrities" and the way they present themselves. As far as role models in the real world, sometimes it's just not enough. I think guys and gals both go through different seasons in their life. A lot come out on top, whereas others get stuck in the ebb. I, myself, threw a party once that lasted a couple years and I had huge aspirations and a wonderful support system. I did, however, have a "fix it" attitude towards the influential man in my life (bad boy) and believed that love was enough. It happens to the best of us. O/T but you bring up a good point.

Thank you. Oprah (or somebody) pointed out that identifying a problem is the first step.
Some problems are easier to have do-overs than others (for instance, if you're not married yet upon realizing a tendency to pick wrong men).
Same goes for addictions. I have what is called a low bottom, in that, I realized I had a drinking problem when I was still in my twenties.
Actually, had a high tolerance for alcohol but, somewhere along the line, it started tripping me up.
It took me awhile, starts and stops, but, by the grace of God, I was able to put it down.
Why did/could I when some people cannot? No clue.
It is possible to change one's behavior though.
Aging helps some people mature too.
It is unfair (it is evil) when someone else takes away another person's chance to grow.

Keep in mind we're all different ages here.
My life is in its second season (I won't live longer than I've already been alive).
So, by stating a belief or a better way so-to-speak, does not mean an older person hasn't been there/gone through stuff they brought on theirself. Believe me, I could fill a whole thread with my stories, a lot of them bad ones.
After one gets past it, you have to forgive yourself. You become wiser.
No one can rush through the stages of life but each person speaks from the stage they are in presently.

All that said, in no way was I putting CM down.
I caught myself having similar thoughts (regarding MM) until I stopped and thought, wait a minute, MM struggled to find herself and her life had a sad ending.
So, I decided to write the thought down for younger women to ponder.

Violence against women happens whether they are sexy or not. Grandmas get raped. Your words make me think of something iconic rather than something real, but sometimes cultural icons become reality, become new cultural icons again. Think Jean Harlow, Marilyn Monroe, Madonna, Lady Gaga, on and on. Hitchcock played with the stereotypes of hot blonde vs. cool blonde and discussed sexuality quite a bit. As far as role models go, I think culture looms larger than anyone's parenting skills. Yet so much in life is just luck. Good luck. Bad luck.

I don't think Christina was a woman who was waiting for someone like EA to just happen in her life. I don't think he was actually looking for her in particular. It was probably a matter of opportunity for him and bad luck for Christina, although if there was stalking going on, perhaps LE will present that as part of their case.

I realize that after this time, she may not be found. That is horrible for her family and I hope searches continue. In the meantime, I am quite willing for justice to play its role.

Forgive me, I'm tired now. But I don't know wth you're talking about.
I'll return tomorrow to try to figure it out.
I find there's a lot of hostility on this case.
I'd just appreciate it if people direct it somewhere else and not towards me. :truce:

I'd just appreciate it if people direct it somewhere else and not towards me. :truce:

I assure that I didn't mean anything rude. I actually think the subject which you raised would make a good thread all on its own. :angel::seeya:

I didn't read any hostility into daisytrail's post. She's simply making the point ( from what I understand) that a girl or woman can do everything "right" (e.g., have the best role models, never do drugs or spend time around those who do) and still be raped, kidnapped, murdered, etc.

I check back every day to see if's there been any break, it's so sad that we've come to a halt.

Do the right thing Enrique!

It makes me sad too. Enrique needs to end this. It's so obvious. I don't know why he did it, but we know he did it. He did something. I can't imagine how Jonni feels. This is so frustrating. And just so sad.

Wow! This thread has really hit a wall starting a few days ago. That's what happens when no new information is available. Guess we will have to wait for more evidence to be released or for the AK trial to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214