TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious why the truck has not been located or has it? We don't know what LE knows at this time. I've said it before that the truck is key.

IIRC, when Rusty Sneiderman was murdered LE located the killer fairly quickly and vehicle used in the shooting was a rental. Ironically, Rusty was shot four times, and the killer wore a disguise. IMO
Totally agree, that truck is the key to solving this. Even if it was rented, there would be a paper trail.

Just reading through some posts about the truck driving back past after the shooting. I've felt that was to check EB wasn't moving or looking like she had survived, however that then raises the question of what was the shooter going to do if Liz was still obviously alive? Would they risk stopping and getting back out to fire more shots knowing neighbours and LE could be arriving any second? Seems unlikely, which has me thinking that maybe they just didn't know the neighbourhood well enough to get out the way they intended. If they were doing a neighbourhood drive around the night before, its possible imo that the next morning things looked different, more people around, and with adrenaline pumping they just got confused and decided to head back the way they had come as they knew they could get out that way.
Normally I would agree but they were picked up on a neighbors camera at 2am or 3am that day, slowly driving by the house. So they were at least somewhat aware of the neighborhood.

I've heard that a lot now that my peers are all pretty much seniors... There's a lot of difference between models. I fired a hammerless five shot 38 special revolver several years ago, I'm pretty sure it was a S&W, and it wasn't too bad. I'm sure just about anybody could manage that.

The issue with a double action revolvers is a heavy trigger and long trigger pull. Not to say it can't be done, it most certainly can. But it's going to be awkward, especially multiple shots in succession one handed. It's going to take a bit of hand strength and definitely some practice.
To add to this, the heavy/long trigger pull, IMO, makes accuracy more difficult. If I say so myself, I'm a pretty darn good shot with my semi-auto S&W 9mm and my semi-auto Ruger .380. But, I'm a terrible shot with my oldest daughter's hammerless S&W .38 revolver. Could be that I'm just more familiar with my handguns. I can hit paper with my daughter's revolver, but my groupings are terrible/inconsistent.

TX transplant and I agree with this. Our Girl with a G.. League in a small town outside Houston had quite a few members, most shot semi-automatic, a couple brought revolvers in to let others try. Houston area has quite a few G&G leagues around the city. I still lean towards female shooter, with the dialogue that took place.

Edited to add: the reply didn’t work that time. Was replying about women who shoot in TX.

To add to this, the heavy/long trigger pull, IMO, makes accuracy more difficult. If I say so myself, I'm a pretty darn good shot with my semi-auto S&W 9mm and my semi-auto Ruger .380. But, I'm a terrible shot with my oldest daughter's hammerless S&W .38 revolver. Could be that I'm just more familiar with my handguns. I can hit paper with my daughter's revolver, but my groupings are terrible/inconsistent.
It's not just you. I was shooting competitively as a teenager and absolutely loved my Ruger GP100 .357 magnum, but only when I had time to *advertiser censored* / steady / aim before each shot. My accuracy in double-action was terrible, even with proper form.

I don't think accuracy comes into play here though, even shooting with one hand. At a distance of just a few feet... But here's what I don't get:

On one hand I feel the only reason the shooter used a revolver was to not leave brass. Meticulously planned down to that detail? It also seemed to me that the shooter was deliberately waiting for her husband to leave. He/she was in the area earlier, but didn't move in until the husband had left. More planning. And on a day with an impromptu garage sale that not a lot of people knew about - was he/she surveilling diligently enough to know this and use it as an opportunity?

On the other hand, four shots doesn't seem very well planned at all. And circling back to drive by slowly after the shooting? The possible exit routes are just crazy. While so much seems planned to avoid detection, there are just too many holes to say it was well planned. But here we are, nearly four years later, trying to figure it out and we don't even know if the shooter is male or female. How is that even possible?

It's not just you. I was shooting competitively as a teenager and absolutely loved my Ruger GP100 .357 magnum, but only when I had time to *advertiser censored* / steady / aim before each shot. My accuracy in double-action was terrible, even with proper form.

I don't think accuracy comes into play here though, even shooting with one hand. At a distance of just a few feet... But here's what I don't get:

On one hand I feel the only reason the shooter used a revolver was to not leave brass. Meticulously planned down to that detail? It also seemed to me that the shooter was deliberately waiting for her husband to leave. He/she was in the area earlier, but didn't move in until the husband had left. More planning. And on a day with an impromptu garage sale that not a lot of people knew about - was he/she surveilling diligently enough to know this and use it as an opportunity?

On the other hand, four shots doesn't seem very well planned at all. And circling back to drive by slowly after the shooting? The possible exit routes are just crazy. While so much seems planned to avoid detection, there are just too many holes to say it was well planned. But here we are, nearly four years later, trying to figure it out and we don't even know if the shooter is male or female. How is that even possible?
A couple possibilities:

1. A meticulous plan and a good plan are not exactly the same thing.

Or (probably more likely)

2. The plan itself was sound, but the execution of the plan in the moment was poor.

I can’t help but think that if the assailant scoped out the area prior to the yard sale, then they had to have known that she would be there early that morning. This requires that the assailant and/or person/persons that perpetuated this had intimate knowledge of her schedule that morning. This wasn’t a chance encounter, and if LE isolates the pool of people that knew about the sale then the killer would naturally extend from them. Add to this the unique nature of the truck, and it seems implausible that a suspect has not been identified at this point. Hopefully, and with time, oaths of silence will be breached and that crucial tip will come forth. I think that it is a stretch to assume that somebody hated her so much that they would commit this atrocity. <modsnip: not victim friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
But Todd... I think the yard sale sign(s) were up to see that night. So could have seen them earlier.
I see what you’re saying. But my thoughts gravitate to the fact that her husband was not there, and that is fairly key. If the husband had been there, and had heard four gunshots, he probably would have ran outside and been in a position to get the trucks license plate number-or at least part of it. Now granted, any of the neighbors could’ve run out as well, but either did not or were too late to identify the attacker. The early nature of the attack was opportune, in that people are less likely to run outside that early-they’re getting ready for work, possibly readying children for school. I know that if I heard four shots in my driveway, I would be out my front door in 10 seconds with my 12 gauge.

It there wasn't a garage sale planned for that morning wouldn't the shooter knocked on the door and ambushed Liz? Or waited until she came out of the house to leave for work and shot her then? I am not convinced that the garage sale was the impetus for the shooting. just my opinion

It there wasn't a garage sale planned for that morning wouldn't the shooter knocked on the door and ambushed Liz? Or waited until she came out of the house to leave for work and shot her then? I am not convinced that the garage sale was the impetus for the shooting. just my opinion
I brought this up a while ago. It appears he knew there was a doorbell camera and avoided it while outside. Which makes me think he knew about the garage sale and camera. If he goes to the door he's on the camera. And if he waits for her to come outside, he risks being seen by witnesses/having the plates written down/etc.

I think I mostly agree with that... The earliest the assailant could have known about the garage sale was the day before. Was a plan already in place? Was a garage sale an unexpected development but not a deal breaker?

I think I mostly agree with that... The earliest the assailant could have known about the garage sale was the day before. Was a plan already in place? Was a garage sale an unexpected development but not a deal breaker?
I wonder about that myself. They did drive through earlier and possibly saw the signs. If so, there is the 'OK, now what do I do?' A couple of things pop up for me. For one, what if this is NOT the killer's truck and they have it without the owner's knowledge. After today, they may not have access to it then. If so, it's today or who knows when. Next, did the killer have knowledge of her trip and she will be gone next week? Does her absence next week cause an issue for the killer?

Scope out the house location in first trip thru neighborhood for kill right when leaves for work/ sees sign(s). Would have disguise already regardless of seeing signs or not.

Didn't the killer say something like 'having a yard sale?' to EB? when he/she approached?
Of course she was having a yard sale. Seemed to amuse the killer or something. Just weird.

Also very strange to sprint (awkwardly IMO) away from the scene... then drive back by.

Did he/she need a picture? He/she had to have a good idea that so many shots hit her.
At that point how would a picture show she was dead tho?

Scope out the house location in first trip thru neighborhood for kill right when leaves for work/ sees sign(s). Would have disguise already regardless of seeing signs or not.

Didn't the killer say something like 'having a yard sale?' to EB? when he/she approached?
Of course she was having a yard sale. Seemed to amuse the killer or something. Just weird.

Also very strange to sprint (awkwardly IMO) away from the scene... then drive back by.

Did he/she need a picture? He/she had to have a good idea that so many shots hit her.
At that point how would a picture show she was dead tho?
EB's killing was so bold! When reading here, I am always left thinking that someone really, really wanted EB dead and seemingly took great risks to achieve that. But, why? Who would benefit?

Husband called in early to work? By who? For what reason? This one day when his wife is killed?

Can't help but... hmmmmmm
Yes-possibly/probably the killer knew husband would not be home. Why? Because he/she came back to the scene. Had the husband been home and responded to the shooting, he would have had a clear view of the truck and driver when it returned to the scene. Coincidence? I don't believe so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper