TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone REJECTED from that group before her murder?
In all probability, yes.

Costume standards alone are very exact and can serve alone as a disqualifier. This could come after some expense and effort by the person being rejected.

There could be some general references in the threads that the victim may of served on either a formal, or informal costume vetting- or membership review board. I, however, cant remember the details.

So the truck is stopped at 0710 based on a BOLO. LE doesn't arrive at the house till almost 0700 (6:58:52) per the timeline on the family's website.

Eleven minutes elapsed between LE arriving at the scene and the truck is stopped and in between the BOLO is broadcast. That is VERY fast. I can see plenty of room for errors there.

The timeline also mentions the truck is tracked on several commercial cameras until lost in an area with no camera coverage. If those cameras don't catch the truck being pulled over - assuming it occurred in the coverage area - then LE likely knows they pulled over the wrong truck. OR they tracked the wrong truck on the cameras.

In any event sometimes when running errands I make note of the trucks I see. On such trips of 30-60 minutes I rarely see a Nissan PRO-X. Sometimes I don't see ANY Nissan trucks. Lots of Fords, Chevys, Dodges and Toyotas, but not many Nissans of ANY color. What are the odds that there would be TWO BLACK Nissan trucks within 15 minutes on the road that morning? OK, I get it...it is Texas. But still...?
Even though the Black Frontier was released after being stopped by the police, I feel certain the plate number and drivers license of the occupant was recorded, and followed up at a later time by the homicide detectives. If it wasn't, that would be pretty sloppy police work, IMO

In regards to this possibility, there appear to be one, possibly more, Star Wars masks amongst the items being sold.

Liz's Star Wars group is known for being extremely particular about appearance accuracy. This leads to their costumes being of movie prop, or near movie prop level. The $74.99 complete "Sexy Dark Side chick" club'in Halloween costume won't work.

Prop, or near prop level costumes are expensive to buy- when the individual components are even available. As a result, it is evidently not uncommon for members to spend considerable time and effort making their costumes.

So, possible group level costume components being "garage saled" could fit your requirements of something of high sentimental value, hand made, gifted, or had been promised / perceived to of been promised to somebody.

But wait, there is more..... Having an acceptable costume can be road block to joining the group. Membership in that group can be prestigious in a sub culture that may have a certain number of participants are high maintenance in regards to self esteem, lacking other social outlets and / or are "starting over- and this had better work".

Anyone REJECTED from that group before her murder?

I wondered this too...

Of the props/masks for sale, could any of them have been sentimental to the shooter? Could one of the items for sale been a crafted piece that held more significance than Liz realized? A gift to Liz, or something Liz won in a competition over someone else?

But, this new angle makes me wonder....could Liz have been on the voting panel for a piece and rejected it?

There is one thing that hit me this morning....

As I previously stated, I noticed Liz took a HUGE step back one the shooter got closer to her, and then leaned in when the shooter extended their left arm. I suspect this was the shooter showing something like a picture or text strings to Liz on a phone.

What is bothering me is, Liz is shot as soon as she leans in. We don't get to see her body language. She didn't get the chance to throw her hands up like "whoa! This isn't me!" or "look, I can explain". She could have also reacted like "Oh God, look its not what you think it is" or "Crap, look, it was a one time thing OK?".

I feel like if we could have seen a reaction, then we may have more to speculate on.

Even though the Black Frontier was released after being stopped by the police, I feel certain the plate number and drivers license of the occupant was recorded, and followed up at a later time by the homicide detectives. If it wasn't, that would be pretty sloppy police work, IMO

Seems that pull over is a big mystery that requires clarification .

I would hope that LE were able to determine whether the Nissan pulled over that fateful morning is same Nissan driving around the Barraza neighborhood and nearby businesses via surveillance video and near the scene of the crime? Videos showed the truck in the neighborhood the night before and again after the murder. moo

There is one thing that hit me this morning....

As I previously stated, I noticed Liz took a HUGE step back one the shooter got closer to her, and then leaned in when the shooter extended their left arm. I suspect this was the shooter showing something like a picture or text strings to Liz on a phone.

What is bothering me is, Liz is shot as soon as she leans in. We don't get to see her body language. She didn't get the chance to throw her hands up like "whoa! This isn't me!" or "look, I can explain". She could have also reacted like "Oh God, look its not what you think it is" or "Crap, look, it was a one time thing OK?".

I feel like if we could have seen a reaction, then we may have more to speculate on.

Did someone, another woman think she flirted with her bf or husband?

In regards to this possibility, there appear to be one, possibly more, Star Wars masks amongst the items being sold.

Liz's Star Wars group is known for being extremely particular about appearance accuracy. This leads to their costumes being of movie prop, or near movie prop level. The $74.99 complete "Sexy Dark Side chick" club'in Halloween costume won't work.

Prop, or near prop level costumes are expensive to buy- when the individual components are even available. As a result, it is evidently not uncommon for members to spend considerable time and effort making their costumes.

So, possible group level costume components being "garage saled" could fit your requirements of something of high sentimental value, hand made, gifted, or had been promised / perceived to of been promised to somebody.

But wait, there is more..... Having an acceptable costume can be road block to joining the group. Membership in that group can be prestigious in a sub culture that may have a certain number of participants are high maintenance in regards to self esteem, lacking other social outlets and / or are "starting over- and this had better work".
But the fact we know that the killer apparently was casing out the home the night before the sale, would mean that they knew in advance what specifically was going to be sold at the sale (IF that's the reason the killer shot Liz and if they did care about that item so much, why not take it?)

So the truck is stopped at 0710 based on a BOLO. LE doesn't arrive at the house till almost 0700 (6:58:52) per the timeline on the family's website.

Eleven minutes elapsed between LE arriving at the scene and the truck is stopped and in between the BOLO is broadcast. That is VERY fast. I can see plenty of room for errors there.

The timeline also mentions the truck is tracked on several commercial cameras until lost in an area with no camera coverage. If those cameras don't catch the truck being pulled over - assuming it occurred in the coverage area - then LE likely knows they pulled over the wrong truck. OR they tracked the wrong truck on the cameras.

In any event sometimes when running errands I make note of the trucks I see. On such trips of 30-60 minutes I rarely see a Nissan PRO-X. Sometimes I don't see ANY Nissan trucks. Lots of Fords, Chevys, Dodges and Toyotas, but not many Nissans of ANY color. What are the odds that there would be TWO BLACK Nissan trucks within 15 minutes on the road that morning? OK, I get it...it is Texas. But still...?
The driver of the truck was released because they supposedly had a good reason to be in the area at that time. Just because they had a reason to be in the area doesn't mean that they are not the killer. I hope police carefully looked at this driver since the murder

But the fact we know that the killer apparently was casing out the home the night before the sale, would mean that they knew in advance what specifically was going to be sold at the sale (IF that's the reason the killer shot Liz and if they did care about that item so much, why not take it?)
For the shooter, that would be one of the worst ideas possible.

Taking a specific item to link back to them for motive would give investigators a much clearer picture.

If there was an item the shooter coveted, they wisely did not take it with them.

Did someone, another woman think she flirted with her bf or husband?

It is not impossible.

My personal motive theories go as follows (in no order of importance):

1. The shooter was upset over an item being sold at the garage sale. It may have been a gift from them to Liz, something Liz won over them, etc.

2. When the shooter extended their arm to show Liz something, it was pictures of Liz. Someone catfishing using Liz's pics and likeliness.

3. The shooter was confronting Liz with a picture that upset them. Maybe something as simple as a pic with their boyfriend at a cosplay event, maybe something far worse.

4. The shooting took place right before Liz and Sergio were scheduled to go to Disneyworld, for their anniversary no less. This could have been someone who was upset that it was Liz and Sergio going, jealous that it was not them and Sergio going to Disneyworld for their anniversary.

Speculation of course, but these are the motives I have conjured for now.

Those are very good points.

Your observation that a "forbidden object at the garage sale" motive would require knowing what was going to be sold in advance is very valid and detracts from the theory.

Though the murdered may have presumed that the forbidden object (FO) would be sold at the garage sale, as @lonewanderer notes, the victim was shown something face to face. The murder did not point to an object, or even motion at the sale in general. Nor, do they impulsively "rescue" something.

But... I think human complexity still allows for the theory, or a sub variant:

- Perhaps the victim had simply stated an intent to sell the "FO"? The stated intent to sell the "FO" is then enough to murder and the murderer presumes the FO will be sold at the garage sale?

- Perhaps the murder felt the attempted sale had destroyed the "purity" of the FO. Thus, no attempt was make to retrieve it?

- Likewise, there is the possibility of a sub variant of a "Forbidden sale" motive: The FO was being sold on an internet site. The shooter then flashes the listing to the victim?

I hope the police dived deeply into the Star Wars cos play sub culture, its visible minority of uhmm.... "in deep" participants, and the social norms of the group.

@lonewanderer points out, identifying the possibility of Star Wars objects at the garage sale (ore elsewhere) and by extension, would those objects represent a labor of love in the Cos Play world is important. So would knowing any Cos Play group social norms associated with labors of love and whether casually selling them could be a severe "diss" to an "in deep" cosplayer.

Last edited:
The driver of the truck was released because they supposedly had a good reason to be in the area at that time. Just because they had a reason to be in the area doesn't mean that they are not the killer. I hope police carefully looked at this driver since the murder
and not let ego or politics, or any other reason, affect the investigation

I sometimes get the feeling that the PD are waiting until enough time has passed and a 'new sheriff in town' or detective, or mayor etc, can swoop in, make a big fuss about getting justice, re-looking at the case, and discovering that a previous team/detective was to blame for missing the evidence that they had all along. Thereby side-stepping taking the blame and owning up to their mistakes, saving face, at the expense of justice for LB and her family. Am I just cynical?

MOO

It is not impossible.

My personal motive theories go as follows (in no order of importance):

1. The shooter was upset over an item being sold at the garage sale. It may have been a gift from them to Liz, something Liz won over them, etc.

2. When the shooter extended their arm to show Liz something, it was pictures of Liz. Someone catfishing using Liz's pics and likeliness.

3. The shooter was confronting Liz with a picture that upset them. Maybe something as simple as a pic with their boyfriend at a cosplay event, maybe something far worse.

4. The shooting took place right before Liz and Sergio were scheduled to go to Disneyworld, for their anniversary no less. This could have been someone who was upset that it was Liz and Sergio going, jealous that it was not them and Sergio going to Disneyworld for their anniversary.

Speculation of course, but these are the motives I have conjured for now.
All good ones. The only one I might add is a possible clash with someone in cosplay and there was a clash with that person's ego. It could be one only known to the killer and neither Elizabeth nor Sergio had a clue it existed. It is interesting that in Sergio's original interview he gave LE the name of another cosplay actor. This person's name was revealed in Arrin Stoner's original video of the LE report but he has subsequently removed that name in his revised video.

It could go way back. High school ... someone who held onto a grudge for years, something EB might not have given a second thought all these years. Injustice keeper. Mean girls. I'm not suggesting EB was a mean girl but if she was part of a group of popular girls someone on the outside might felt slighted, snubbed. And targeted EB as a representative of a group. Like: "remember me? 7th grade...."

Question remains -- how does a whole truck disappear?????? Hiding somehow in plain sight?

This has to be solvable.

JMO

It could go way back. High school ... someone who held onto a grudge for years, something EB might not have given a second thought all these years.
Good possibility.

As a side note, reunions tend to occur at years 5, 10, 20, 25. 30, 40. Liz was 29, so her class may of just completed their 10 year reunion.

Liz appeared to be very social in many different ways. I would not be surprised if she attended the reunion and she could have even assisted in the planning. Perhaps the reunion opened not so old wounds?

I am thinking teachers and staff may still remember grudges and perhaps bad news students.

Good possibility.

As a side note, reunions tend to occur at years 5, 10, 20, 25. 30, 40. Liz was 29, so her class may of just completed their 10 year reunion.

Liz appeared to be very social in many different ways. I would not be surprised if she attended the reunion and she could have even assisted in the planning. Perhaps the reunion opened not so old wounds?

I am thinking teachers and staff may still remember grudges and perhaps bad news students.
A class reunion might prompt "friending" with long lost classmates.... maybe someone from her past begrudged her life as it appeared on social media.

It does seem, in the brief exchange, the murderer wanted to make sure EB was fully aware of something before opening fire. Previous point of contact is all I can think of. Even just once. Even if a decade earlier.

We know the murderer came with no expectation of a conversation.

jmo

Last edited:
Were there any cops in the 501st Legion cosplay community?

I am trying to wrap my head around why the mystery person would have the good excuse to be in the area at the time. (I partially think they fabricated an emergency to borrow someone's truck who was visiting from out of town, so the excuse may have been rehearsed or prepared)

I've been trying to think of what else the shooter could be extending with their left arm. So....what if the left arm extension wasn't a note or a phone, but a badge? It really seems like this person knew not to use a magazine fed weapon and knew how to cover their tracks pretty good. Could they have held a badge out to get Liz's attention, keeping her from running away?

I think its a major longshot that a cop did this, but nothing is impossible.

I’m halfway considering mathematically solving for the probability that 2 of the same car (make, model, and color) would be in the same area given the population, time of day, and relative popularity of the car. I mean it’s not a black toyota Corolla in the middle of a city.

Guess I need to find my stats books and get to work.

Edit: upon reflection, I’m not sure it would be possible to calculate the probability/odds ratio that 2 identical vehicles are spotted in a central location. If anyone more intelligent than I wants to figure it out, I’m all ears! Off to chat gpt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members