GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
un·de·sir·a·ble
ˌəndəˈzī(ə)rəb(ə)l/
adjective
not wanted or desirable because harmful, objectionable, or unpleasant.
"the drug's undesirable side effects"
synonyms: unpleasant, disagreeable, objectionable, nasty, unwelcome, unwanted, unfortunate, inconvenient, infelicitous More
noun
a person considered to be objectionable in some way.
synonyms: outcast, lowlife, misfit, deviant, unsavory character, pariah, leper, untouchable, freak
"the bar was full of undesirables"

Seems fitting to me.

The mother of so-called affluenza teen Ethan Couch sold her Tarrant County home in August and was renting a house not long before she and her son fled the country, touching off a massive international manhunt.

Tonya Couch sold her $343,400 Burleson home on Aug. 10, county deed records show. She and Ethan had been renting a house in Fort Worth since August 2014, according to her landlord, James Walker.

He said that he did not renew the lease and that their last day in the home was Aug. 31. Walker said he did not know where they went after that.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...e-teen-expected-to-serve-4-months-at-most.ece

I don't want to be a wet blanket on this party, but I was watching a broadcast last night on the Fox News Channel, and it was stated that due to the way Texas laws are structured, the maximum penalty for Nathan violating his parole is an additional 120 days in jail. 4 months.

I don't completely understand why that would be, but it has to do with the law being retroactive to when he was sentenced as a minor. It didn't make any sense to me because I thought the entire point behind parole was that jail time could be avoided if you stayed out of trouble, but if not, you went to jail for the remainder of your parole time. In this case, that would be about 8 years.

However......last night they discussed it and revealed that him fleeing the country and violating his parole had a penalty of 120 days in jail....maximum.

I'm really hoping the people discussing it were wrong, or that I misunderstood them, but I listened to the entire broadcast and that's what they said. It was on the Kelly File.....Fox news. No link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...13ee94-ae8b-11e5-b281-43c0b56f61fa_story.html
Couch and his mother stayed first at a resort known as Los Tules, near the beach. Prosecutors say a woman who worked there helped authorities capture them.

Mexican authorities said they learned Dec. 24 that the U.S. marshals were searching for Couch in that country. He and his mother lived for less than 30 days in a pricey hotel known as Los Tules, about two miles from downtown Puerto Vallarta, according to a spokesman for the state attorney general’s office in Mexico.

A hotel employee recommended they find a more modest and discreet place.

In November, they moved to a less affluent part of town called Colonia 5 de Diciembre, a few blocks from the beach.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...e-teen-expected-to-serve-4-months-at-most.ece

I'm thinking Mamacita Clairol's "plan" was that they would be safe to return when her baby boy aged out of the juvenile system on his 19th birthday.

If so, that might have been the case for Ethan, all things learned and considered regarding the juvenile system.

She would have been subject to the same charge she is currently facing.

Hope she enjoys her stay at 100 N. Lamar.

Somewhat modestly priced. Meals and recreation included.
Commissary purchases, phone calls, and attorney fees not included.

Discreet? Not so much.

Here is a still from the video:

couch31n-6-web.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-article-1.2480537

I don't want to be a wet blanket on this party, but I was watching a broadcast last night on the Fox News Channel, and it was stated that due to the way Texas laws are structured, the maximum penalty for Nathan violating his parole is an additional 120 days in jail. 4 months.

I don't completely understand why that would be, but it has to do with the law being retroactive to when he was sentenced as a minor. It didn't make any sense to me because I thought the entire point behind parole was that jail time could be avoided if you stayed out of trouble, but if not, you went to jail for the remainder of your parole time. In this case, that would be about 8 years.

However......last night they discussed it and revealed that him fleeing the country and violating his parole had a penalty of 120 days in jail....maximum.

I'm really hoping the people discussing it were wrong, or that I misunderstood them, but I listened to the entire broadcast and that's what they said. It was on the Kelly File.....Fox news. No link.

Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson hopes to have Couch’s case transferred from juvenile to adult court. If this happens, a future probation violation could see him face up to 10 years for each death in the 2013 crash. If a judge rejects the transfer, Couch may instead complete his sentence in a juvenile facility until he turns 19 in April.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-article-1.2480537

After Couch's latest escapade, Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson said she plans to ask a judge to transfer his case to adult court at a scheduled Jan. 19 probation violation hearing.

Couch would then face up to 120 days in an adult jail, followed by 10 years' probation. If he violates probation, he could face up to 10 years in prison per death, Wilson said.

If the judge declines to transfer Couch to adult court, Wilson will ask that his probation be revoked, in which case he could be held in a juvenile facility until his sentence expires when he turns 19 next April.

"Four months of confinement. That, in my opinion, is not sufficient punishment for the taking of four lives," the district attorney told reporters Wednesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/3...s-to-affluenza-teen-mother.html?intcmp=hplnws

Maybe this will help clarify what I stated up there earlier. Right now he is looking at 120 days in jail for violating his probation. A judge has to make the decision whether to transfer his case from juvenile court to adult court.

In either case, the maximum jail time is 120 days for this little stunt that him and his mother just pulled. If the judge agrees to transfer this to an adult court (which many attorneys don't think will happen), then if he violates his probation during that time he could spend 10 years in jail for each death he caused. If the judge decides to keep it in the juvenile court, he would be housed in a juvenile facility until his 19th birthday.

Once again, Nathan will get a second chance that he doesn't deserve.

DA Share Wilson did a good job yesterday explaining how the juvenile system works (or doesn't work in some cases).

The Star-Telegram has a decent summary of what she said:

Possible punishments

Back in Fort Worth, Ethan Couch will attend a juvenile detention hearing to determine where he’ll be held in the short term. At the previously scheduled Jan. 19 hearing, it will be determined whether his case will be transferred to the adult probation system or remain in the juvenile court.

If he’s transferred to adult court, he can be sentenced to 120 days in jail as a condition of adult probation, and would continue the remaining eight years of his probation.

Wilson called it “the horns of the dilemma,” when dealing with juvenile cases: Couch’s fleeing the country isn’t enough on its own to trigger a lengthy prison sentence.

She said her office will push for Couch to be transferred to the adult probation system, where he would remain under supervision until February 2024.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article52037270.html#storylink=cpy

There's more in the article.

Tarrant County can only work with the law as it is. All indications are that they will apply it to these two characters as firmly as those laws allow.

For years now, the juvenile justice system gets a great deal of attention from the legislature because of the "horns of dilemma" balance between the "best interest of the child" and realistic "protection of society."

No doubt the debate between "lock 'em all up" and "try to save as many as possible" will continue in the legislature with regard to juvies.

One nice thing ( among so many others ) about the new photo with the black hair is how adult he looks. In all of his earlier pics he did look like a little kid. I'm sure it was ' easy enough' for the judge to look at him at age 16 and say 'he's just a boy'. But those days are gone. He looks like a grown adult junkie on the streets now. No way to squeeze any sympathy out for the wayward boy whose parents never taught him right from wrong .........
Also, I am really wondering if anyone is going to look into whether or not this judge got paid off. It's so curious she retired shortly after his case. She's not an old woman. One would think she would have many more years in her career and yet somehow she was motivated by shame or a fat retirement fund to just walk away early in her career.

I hope he breaks his probation again and then gets ten years each in prison for the 4 lives he took.

jmo

So her bail could be $150,000? Big deal for her, unless all these lawsuits bankrupted them.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/3...s-to-affluenza-teen-mother.html?intcmp=hplnws

Maybe this will help clarify what I stated up there earlier. Right now he is looking at 120 days in jail for violating his probation. A judge has to make the decision whether to transfer his case from juvenile court to adult court.

In either case, the maximum jail time is 120 days for this little stunt that him and his mother just pulled. If the judge agrees to transfer this to an adult court (which many attorneys don't think will happen), then if he violates his probation during that time he could spend 10 years in jail for each death he caused. If the judge decides to keep it in the juvenile court, he would be housed in a juvenile facility until his 19th birthday.

Once again, Nathan will get a second chance that he doesn't deserve.

Lets see how he fares in jail, even if it's only 120 days. He was spoiled rotten by his parents. No mom and pop in jail to follow his every wish.

Lets see how he fares in jail, even if it's only 120 days. He was spoiled rotten by his parents. No mom and pop in jail to follow his every wish.
I was sort of thinking that. While it is despicable that 120 is the max he can receive as things stand now, I know that for me, the thought of 120 days in jail is enough to turn my knees to jelly.

Yeah, I'm soft. But so is Lil Ethan.

Ethan Couch · Trending

FOX 4 News
3 mins ·
BREAKING: Ethan Couch and his mom are fighting extradition. U.S. Marshals say it could be weeks before they return now. http://bit.ly/22yqkBF

ETA the link is not the fighting extradition story but that is on the fb page for fox 4 news. So it looks like they will be in a Mexican jail for awhile. :jail:

https://www.facebook.com/Fox4DFW/?fref=nf

Ethan Couch · Trending

FOX 4 News
3 mins ·
BREAKING: Ethan Couch and his mom are fighting extradition. U.S. Marshals say it could be weeks before they return now. http://bit.ly/22yqkBF

ETA the link is not the fighting extradition story but that is on the fb page for fox 4 news. So it looks like they will be in a Mexican jail for awhile. :jail:

https://www.facebook.com/Fox4DFW/?fref=nf

Hmmm. But what if Mexico just decides to deport them? Would that be different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper