GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend that anyone local to DFW watch the noon news on WFAA. A brief blurb on NBC 11 am news said that Ethan has met with his attorney for about & hour this morning. There's no link but I'm thinking perhaps WFAA will have additional coverage at noon.

CX-WkC1WAAAmKml.png

Lauren ZakalikVerified account ‏@wfaalauren 18m18 minutes ago
NEW: LA County DA shares copy of complaint in #TonyaCouch case
#WFAA #EthanCouch #Affluenza

https://twitter.com/wfaalauren

Tonya Couch: Experts Reveal What Lies Ahead

Tarrant County deputies planned to return from California with Tonya Couch by the end of the week. Her attorney said "she looks forward to being returned to Texas as quickly as possible... and is eager to have her day in court."
"She'll have the condition that if she's able to make the $1 million bond that she'll have to wear an electronic monitor, because she is a flight risk," Schulte said.

Ethan Couch remained Sunday inside a Mexican immigration detention center in Mexico City. Fernando Benitez, a high-profile Mexican attorney known for winning big cases confirmed Friday he would represent Ethan.
"The is the chance down there that the Mexican lawyer is successful, he could get released, and then be left in Mexico," said Schulte. "And then Mr. Couch will be on his way to go wherever he wants, and we kind of start the process over."

Schulte said he believes Ethan Couch is "getting bad advice."
"His Mexican lawyers telling him we should delay, delay, delay. All that's doing is hurting him when he does inevitably get back to Tarrant County in front of a judge here," he said.

Tonya Couch: Experts Reveal What Lies Ahead

I recommend that anyone local to DFW watch the noon news on WFAA. A brief blurb on NBC 11 am news said that Ethan has met with his attorney for about & hour this morning. There's no link but I'm thinking perhaps WFAA will have additional coverage at noon.

Bad recommendation made by me............sorry!! WFAA had nothing else to offer.

I think the best way to get updates on Ethan is to follow reporter Scott Gordon's tweets from Mexico City on nbcdfw.com. Sorry I do not know how to link to tweets. I saw what I thought was a link but it did not work when I tried to post it here. bit.ly/1OxflMg1

@KevinCokelyNBC5

Unlikely Tonya Crouch will return to Tarrant County before Thursday or Friday - TARCCo waiting for paperwork, etc. @NBCDFW

Bad recommendation made by me............sorry!! WFAA had nothing else to offer.

I think the best way to get updates on Ethan is to follow reporter Scott Gordon's tweets from Mexico City on nbcdfw.com. Sorry I do not know how to link to tweets. I saw what I thought was a link but it did not work when I tried to post it here. bit.ly/1OxflMg1

Here's a synopsis from @ScottGordonNBC5 tweets:

Minutes after Benitez arrived at the detention center, he left in search of a phone card. Was not allowed to take his cell phone into the facility.

"Calling card apparently is so Ethan can call home."

Benitez reentered the detention center and left. Was there about an hour, more or less.

"Asked if the teen could be headed to Texas soon: 'Anything is possible'."

Benitez declined to elaborate further or provide any specifics

@KevinCokelyNBC5

Unlikely Tonya Crouch will return to Tarrant County before Thursday or Friday - TARCCo waiting for paperwork, etc. @NBCDFW

Excellent! It's 10:55 am on Tuesday in LA county right now so she will be spending at least 2 more nights in the LA county jail. The next 48 hours are going to feel like an eternity for her!
That's at least semi-comforting considering she has never, ever experienced anything like this in her life so it's going to be absolutely miserable for her in there until then. :dance: :p

As soon as she gets back to Texas the countdown is on until she bails out.
At a million dollar bail, if only the 10% bail bonds fee is paid to get her out, the person who puts up collateral for the rest of the bail is at risk if she doesn't show up for her next court date. I guess we find out how dumb daddy really is soon enough! (as if we didn't already know...)

Yes, looks like he still was on probation for the previous alcohol consumption when he drunk again and killed four people. So judge's sentence doesn't make sense whatsoever.
I would really like to know what gives?

Yeah, I would really like to know what gives - especially now knowing all of the facts.

That judge has a long history of harsh sentences to juveniles, yet she changed her tune real quick when it came to Ethan.
Ethan - had priors and was even already on probation for a previous drunken night when he killed 4 people but 10 years probation only for him!

Things that make you go hmmmm

The way these two raised him should be a crime in itself. He was apparently allowed to do whatever he wanted. So is it any wonder he turned out the way he did?

I just watched the 4pm news on nbcdfw.com. It showed footage of Tonya's arraignment in LA. It showed something that I've never seen before. Standing directly in front of the judge were 2 women who I assume were attorneys. To the side, Tonya was behind a barricade of sorts like nothing I've ever seen before in a courtroom. It was approximately chest high then a space in which you could only see her head & face & then a railing around it at the top. Perhaps that is the way they do things in LA to protect the judge???????

I just watched the 4pm news on nbcdfw.com. It showed footage of Tonya's arraignment in LA. It showed something that I've never seen before. Standing directly in front of the judge were 2 women who I assume were attorneys. To the side, Tonya was behind a barricade of sorts like nothing I've ever seen before in a courtroom. It was approximately chest high then a space in which you could only see her head & face & then a railing around it at the top. Perhaps that is the way they do things in LA to protect the judge???????

Photo please?

What exactly does it mean then? He plead no contest and was given probation.

What does a citation mean? A citation is an order to appear in court. The existence of a citation is not proof of guilt. Obviously in this case he ended up pleading no contest, but to say somebody received a citation by itself is simply saying that somebody was summonsed to appear in court.

I've seen that in some states --- looks like a defendant cage. I personally love it. To see perps in it that is.

I've seen that in some states --- looks like a defendant cage. I personally love it. To see perps in it that is.

Now that I think about it, I've seen those before. I suppose there are several reasons for it. In particular, the defendants can be placed in there securely. Maybe they don't have to use stun belts or tasers if something happens? That way they won't accidentally blow up the wrong perp with their electronic signals? I think there might also be efficiency reasons, like a queue for a bank teller. When it's your turn, you step right up, no need for a deputy to mess with your restraints, no interval between perps. And then there's also no rushing the judge....

AFAIK, in the US, this cage, if used, is only for arraignment, since otherwise it would be prejudicial.

It may also be just traditional. I know they do this in some countries. It's called a "dock".

I don't know how relevant this is to Ethan Couch, but in Texas, a minor in possession or minor in consumption is essentially like a traffic ticket. You are not arrested and taken to jail, where someone has to come bail you out. There may be degrees, where if you are deemed to be intoxicated, you do find yourself in jail. But the jails are not big enough to hold all the under age drinkers that could be tagged for this offense. I'm not saying it's no big deal, but when you read that EC had a MIP on his record, it's not a serious offense relative to other offenses which can cause you a lifetime of grief. MANY of my D's friends in college got MIPs. They are a blip as long as they take care of it and don't get into any more trouble.

Thank goodness, neither of my Ds got MIPs or MICs in college. I really tried to stress to them that even though it's not the equivalent of a DUI or even more serious crime, both Ds want to go into careers which require a state license, and you do NOT want any hint of any kind of legal trouble in their history. Expunged crimes are still discoverable by certain licensing boards.

I don't know how relevant this is to Ethan Couch, but in Texas, a minor in possession or minor in consumption is essentially like a traffic ticket. You are not arrested and taken to jail, where someone has to come bail you out. There may be degrees, where if you are deemed to be intoxicated, you do find yourself in jail. But the jails are not big enough to hold all the under age drinkers that could be tagged for this offense. I'm not saying it's no big deal, but when you read that EC had a MIP on his record, it's not a serious offense relative to other offenses which can cause you a lifetime of grief. MANY of my D's friends in college got MIPs. They are a blip as long as they take care of it and don't get into any more trouble.

Thank goodness, neither of my Ds got MIPs or MICs in college. I really tried to stress to them that even though it's not the equivalent of a DUI or even more serious crime, both Ds want to go into careers which require a state license, and you do NOT want any hint of any kind of legal trouble in their history. Expunged crimes are still discoverable by certain licensing boards.

We are not talking about a 20 year old drinking a beer at a party, are we? In this particular case, it sure sounds like Ethan was driving in that condition (how did he get to the location he was at, with naked girl found in the truck) but because cop didn't observe him driving (instead urinating in a parking lot) he wasn't charged with drunk driving. Regardless, he plead no contest and was put on probation for consumption of alcohol. He was apparently still on probation when he drove drunk, killed 4 people, and was again put on probation. So, yes, I would like to know what gives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper