GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks. Yes, that seems to be the law they are using. But I still don’t really understand how it applies to money laundering.

Yes, from what I'm learning on a quick google search is that you need to declare the large sums of money when traveling. Penalties for failure to declare the money are severe.

Not sure when she was supposed to declare the money - upon departing and/or upon returning to USA?

I'm also wondering if converting a large amount of dollars into pesos would trigger a money-laundering charge?

This is new territory for me...I always learn something new on WS.

jmo

Does anyone understand the money laundering charge? She took $30,000 out of her own bank account to pay for the trip to Mexico. If that is money laundering, a lot of people must be guilty of money laundering, myself included. Since I have taken money out of my bank account to go on foreign trips before. I didn’t know I was breaking any laws.

LOL I came in here to ask the same question, how do you launder your own money ???? LOL

so even if it is your money it is still laundering ?

Amounts over $10,000 must be declared at the border....just not sure if failure to do so falls under "laundering" laws or if something else was going on.

Does anyone understand the money laundering charge? She took $30,000 out of her own bank account to pay for the trip to Mexico. If that is money laundering, a lot of people must be guilty of money laundering, myself included. Since I have taken money out of my bank account to go on foreign trips before. I didn’t know I was breaking any laws.

I don't exactly understand either but I'm all for them throwing the book at her any way they can.

Amounts over $10,000 must be declared at the border....just not sure if failure to do so falls under "laundering" laws or if something else was going on.

I don't know about leaving the US but several times when I returned to the U.S. I was asked by Customs if I was bringing in over $10,000.00. My reply is "Surely you jest" and they always laugh. On my long flights overseas I'm always so jet lagged that I don't even look like I have 10 cents, much less $10,000.00.

Monica Hernandez ‏@MHernandezWFAA 7m7 minutes ago Fort Worth, TX
Tonya Couch, #affluenzateen mom, to appear in court at 9 am. Follow me for the latest from the courtroom. #IAmUp

Monica Hernandez ‏@MHernandezWFAA 7m7 minutes ago Fort Worth, TX
Tonya Couch, #affluenzateen mom, to appear in court at 9 am. Follow me for the latest from the courtroom. #IAmUp

You just made my day! :yourock::highfive: Oh I hope it will be live streamed.

LOL :cuckoo: :trainwreck:
Oh please, I dare ya to check her washing machine...

I don't believe she still owns a washing machine, probably sold it with the house, for Mexico money. I don't recall if she had any skills, degrees, certainly it wasn't in parenting. I wonder how the real world is looking now that she's off her pedestal. She ruined her son, she and the father had so many chances to change his course from a young age and they failed and eventually it the cost lives of other innocent people. So she taught him to run. She deserves :jail:

The only person who mght hire her, is her ex or soon to be ex. I do not know if the divorce is final. Other than that, so many people are upset over the easy sentence her son got, the lies, the bribes, all over the years, that if she was hired, the company might suffer by people boycotting that company. The public in that area are pretty mad over it all.

I hope the parole office make her document every call, minute it takes to get there and back, length of time of interview...just everything that pertains to her being out of that house. She does not follow rules well.

Since she can now look for a job, I bet the 'no internet' use has been lifted. Can she DRIVE? Does she have a CAR?

I hope she does not walk out of this free without any consequences. The judge should have asked her about what kind of job she is looking for, possible busineses, even if he had to do that in chambers out of medias ears.

With that said, she needs to give her son and dil money for rent, food, etc. They sure took on a headache, relative or not, shes a headache.

It could have to do with the Bank Secrecy Act (see https://www.money-education.com/res...ng-cash-transactions-under-10-000-is-criminal ) which deals with money laundering, drugs, and other nefarious activities by businesses or individuals. If a cash amount over $10,000.00 is deposited or withdrawn at a US Financial Institution, a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) must be completed by the transactor and the bank/financial institution with whom the transaction(s) is/are conducted.. The bank/financial institution will file the form and send it to the US Treasury Dept.

If you vary your deposit/withdrawal into sums of cash lower than $10K (2 deposits of $7K each, for example), then that is seen as "structuring," and that is also illegal. It's not the cash that will get you into trouble (if you're running an honest business), it's the non-filing that'll getcha. I was a programmer/developer at a US bank for years, and I supported the system that analyzed the cash transactions.

So it might be that she withdrew $30K in amts less than $10K to avoid completing the CTR report, and the bank's analysis of deposits discovered it after the amounts totaled more than $10K. Anyone familiar with cash amounts at banks would know about this regulation -- it's been around since 1970.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but it's just a thought... I don't put much past that IMO scheming woman.

It could have to do with the Bank Secrecy Act (see https://www.money-education.com/res...ng-cash-transactions-under-10-000-is-criminal ) which deals with money laundering, drugs, and other nefarious activities by businesses or individuals. If a cash amount over $10,000.00 is deposited or withdrawn at a US Financial Institution, a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) must be completed by the transactor and the bank/financial institution with whom the transaction(s) is/are conducted.. The bank/financial institution will file the form and send it to the US Treasury Dept.

If you vary your deposit/withdrawal into sums of cash lower than $10K (2 deposits of $7K each, for example), then that is seen as "structuring," and that is also illegal. It's not the cash that will get you into trouble (if you're running an honest business), it's the non-filing that'll getcha. I was a programmer/developer at a US bank for years, and I supported the system that analyzed the cash transactions.

So it might be that she withdrew $30K in amts less than $10K to avoid completing the CTR report, and the bank's analysis of deposits discovered it after the amounts totaled more than $10K. Anyone familiar with cash amounts at banks would know about this regulation -- it's been around since 1970.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but it's just a thought... I don't put much past that IMO scheming woman.

Scheming she is...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has it been brought up yet that he could have been born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome?

Does anyone think that mom will not have a trial or sentence until after son is out of jail....just to keep them apart as much as possible to give him a chance to get away from her influence? Both parents trials seem to be taking a very long time.

And when they are both 'free', since they are family, how does it work with parole, staying away from other known felons? Are the parents and son allowed any contact?

Thanks.

Does anyone think that mom will not have a trial or sentence until after son is out of jail....just to keep them apart as much as possible to give him a chance to get away from her influence? Both parents trials seem to be taking a very long time.

And when they are both 'free', since they are family, how does it work with parole, staying away from other known felons? Are the parents and son allowed any contact?

Thanks.

No, I don’t think so. He will be in jail for the next two years. His mother has a right to a speedy trial. If she does have a trial it will be over a long time before he gets out of jail.

Mother of 'affluenza teen' Ethan Couch is seen working behind a bar months after helping her son flee to Mexico and on the same day she was released from home confinement

Tonya Couch is seen at the Honky Tonk Woman Saloon in Azle, Texas

With a cigarette in hand, she smiles as she serves drinks to patrons

Was spotted the same day she was freed from home confinement

An employee confirmed to Daily Mail Online that Crouch worked there

Reports suggest she had been there a month

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-released-home-confinement.html#ixzz4IDuWkKak

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back