TX TX - Heidi Broussard, 33, Fnd Deceased, & Margo Carey, 2 weeks, Fnd Alive, Austin, 12 Dec 2019 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Authorities, meaning law enforcement, IMO.
Yes, but I was pointing out that in one place it says that CPS called the fire department to do a welfare check at 11pm, but meanwhile 'authorities', meaning law enforcement as you said, gained access inside the home around 8:30pm, when up to that time they had apparently been waiting on a search warrant. It doesn't make sense that police were already in there by 8:30pm and then hours later CPS called the fire department to do a welfare check (unless I'm missing something?)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
PommyMommy said: ↑

DEC 19, updated DEC 20, 2019
Infant found at Harris Co. home as authorities investigate missing Austin mom Heidi Broussard & baby
According to Cy-Fair Fire Department spokesperson Lt. Daniel Arizpe, Child Protective Services called CFFD to the home at 10:56 p.m. Thursday night. Arizpe says a one-month baby girl was found with “no obvious injuries or problems” and was taken to an area hospital.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
deugirtni said:
And then this:

ABC 13 reports that authorities conducted a “high profile investigation” at a home off of Bo Jack Drive in NW Harris County. Investigators secured the area with crime scene tape and were specifically concentrating on a Nissan parked in the driveway. The car reportedly belongs to someone that Heidi knows.

At around 8:15 p.m., authorities entered the residence.

Update: Suspect arrested for kidnapping Heidi Broussard was a ‘close friend’ who pretended to be pregnant at same time, police say

Isn't there something about waiving your right to a speedy trial.... that's why it takes sometimes years to go to trial.
?

Yes. Most do. But if she doesn’t then the state is stuck. So, when they can do a fuller investigation and really prepare for prosecution while holding the perp on other charges, they often do.

The issue at hand is why there's been no rush on the part of the prosecutor to file murder charges until they are ready.

(Prosecutor can't just assume the defendant will waive their right to a speedy trial -- i.e., no stopping the clock for prosecutor if not waived).

Again! I should’ve read ahead before posting!

Interesting - I hadn't read about this one.

Traffic court wouldn't merit a jumpsuit, but I bet she's got one now.

Speaking as a fellow Texan, who does not own a coat, and would have to scrounge for a sweatshirt, it's not weird to wear it multiple days in a row as a top layer. It's just not worth investing in warm clothes here, even less so in Houston. Most of us look like something out of the Fisher King if it gets cold here - we just put on everything we own.

PS - I drove to Houston and back today to pick up a prototype (and tamales), and I studied two things - the "bodies of water" between here and there - I took the route I believe they took and my destination took me within a few miles of the house - and the only body of water reachable by pulling off the road to throw something into unless you are an MLB pitcher would be the Brazos River, south side on the eastbound route. Easy pull off, nothing around, no one would think anything of someone pulling over there. If she did toss HB's keys and phone into water on the way to Houston, that's my best guess. Which makes me wonder if she was killed prior to that part of the ride.

I also tried to look around at other cars and see how much I'd notice on that road. Even though it's a pretty straight shot as the crow flies, those are curvy highways and most are 75 MPH. I can't say I had too much luck looking into anyone's car for more than a second - it just wouldn't be safe or allow you to see much. Most of the roads are two lanes on each side, so if she was in the right lane and an incapacitated person was in the passenger seat, it would really be impossible for anyone to see anything amiss IMO.

Thanks for the info on the water & pull off area. If someone is pulled off would they be visible from the road?
I remember us discussing how difficult it is to really get a good look into other cars.
as far as MF’s courtroom attire, inmates not being held over must be ordered to dress put in clothes they wore in. Surely she didn’t spend the night in jail in her own outfit, that’d be risky for a detention center to allow. Lol, I agree, bet she’s got a county uniform now.

Yes, but I was pointing out that in one place it says that CPS called the fire department to do a welfare check at 11pm, but meanwhile 'authorities', meaning law enforcement as you said, gained access inside the home around 8:30pm, when up to that time they had apparently been waiting on a search warrant. It doesn't make sense that police were already in there by 8:30pm and then hours later CPS called the fire department to do a welfare check (unless I'm missing something?)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Infant found at Harris Co. home as authorities investigate missing Austin mom Heidi Broussard & baby
According to Cy-Fair Fire Department spokesperson Lt. Daniel Arizpe, Child Protective Services called CFFD to the home at 10:56 p.m. Thursday night. Arizpe says a one-month baby girl was found with “no obvious injuries or problems” and was taken to an area hospital.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
deugirtni said:
And then this:

ABC 13 reports that authorities conducted a “high profile investigation” at a home off of Bo Jack Drive in NW Harris County. Investigators secured the area with crime scene tape and were specifically concentrating on a Nissan parked in the driveway. The car reportedly belongs to someone that Heidi knows.

Update: Suspect arrested for kidnapping Heidi Broussard was a ‘close friend’ who pretended to be pregnant at same time, police say

Yes, I believe LE was already in the residence at around 8:15 p.m. CPS then requested CFFD come to the scene around 10:56 p.m. to make sure the infant was in good medical condition and transport to hospital for a full physical/medical evaluation/examination. The timeline makes sense.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe LE was already in the residence at around 8:15 p.m. CPS then requested CFFD come to the scene around 10:56 p.m. to make sure the infant was in good medical condition and transport to hospital for a full physical/medical evaluation/examination. The timeline makes sense.
It doesn't to me. One of the first things they did should've been to send baby to hospital for a check, not two and a half hours after entering, after waiting apparently HOURS to gain entry. imo.

It doesn't to me. One of the first things they did should've been to send baby to hospital for a check, not two and a half hours after entering, after waiting apparently HOURS to gain entry. imo.
I know what you mean and don't disagree. My thought is that the baby appeared to be fine and healthy, but since they had recovered a kidnapped newborn and it was part of a criminal investigation, they wanted medical personnel to officially record/sign off on the baby's condition and transport to the hospital more for procedure/protocol, not that it was urgent. jmo - I don't know!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
deugirtni said:
And then this:

Gotcha. Yes, it does seem that it took some time for them to move on the baby but did they suspect that it was Margo at that time? Supposedly, MF had a newborn also, and was insisting that Margo was hers.

Maybe they gave her a chance to prove the baby was hers and when she couldn't, then they called? I dunno. This is probably going to be one of those things we have to wait to find out about.

Sorry I misunderstood your earlier post. :) MOO

Thanks for the info on the water & pull off area. If someone is pulled off would they be visible from the road?
I remember us discussing how difficult it is to really get a good look into other cars.

Yes - although it's a big wide shoulder in an empty stretch. You could park and walk back a few yards close to the river and no one would notice you, really, especially in the few seconds they'd see you at that speed, and it's one of the few places where you wouldn't have to hop a private property fence to be able to toss something into a pretty large body of water.

Yes, I have repeatedly seen this and I don't know where the misconception comes from. There were charges down to just child neglect, and they refused to convict on any of them. That jury was tired of being sequestered and didn't want to deal with a further sentencing phase. It is the only conclusion to be drawn from that. They had lots of choices.

100%!! I’m going to start hitting the +quote button instead of replying right away.

I was looking a bit earlier for where it said that MF had claimed the baby in her home was her own baby... and I ran across an article where, for the first time I had read it, but perhaps others already knew this(?) - it said the call to the home originated from a request to do a 'welfare check' at the home. It says a 'volunteer fire department' responded to the call - somehow from there, police became involved. ???

So depending on what the circumstances of the 'welfare check' were (ie was it because someone heard an infant crying incessantly? Because MF was not responding to peoples' phonecalls/texts? Because neighbors heard yelling? Because a neighbor heard a baby crying over a long period of time and knew that MF did not have a baby??, etc.) Personally I cannot imagine that police would not have entered the home if they had any knowledge of a baby being in any kind of distress, or any suspicion of HB's baby being there, even without a warrant. (I know that here they are allowed to enter without a warrant if police believe a life is in imminent danger, surely it is the same in the USA?)

If they had MF in the garage on the back deck for hours, and meanwhile that poor infant was alone in the home, surely she would have cried at some point during those hours, which also would have undoubtedly prompted police to go in to check?

Broussard and her three-week-old baby disappeared on Dec. 12, last seen in South Austin. More than a week later, a volunteer fire department responded to a Houston-area home for a welfare check.

Baby Margo to be released from CPS to family, says grandfather at South Austin vigil for Heidi Broussard

In the garage back-deck photo posted upthread from inside edition, I'm pretty sure it shows MF smoking a cigarette. I believe the thing in front of her, are her own legs. Also note the garage back deck has Christmas lights. All set for baby's first Christmas!
View attachment 222843

Good eyes!

Do you think there could be a possibility that they didn't tie the infant to the missing Austin baby (Margo) until Heidi was found? That could explain time lags. jmo

Forgive me and disregard if this has been thoroughly discussed, but does anyone have a thought on what "tampering with corpse" could indicate? Didn't it also say something about attempting to destroy evidence? Just exactly what, in this case, could that consist of? Is there anything MF could have done to decrease the pungency of the odor? All just my imagination, no research.

I think tampering any interference with a dead body. If you shot someone in the head and just left them where they fell, no tampering. Move that body, bury it, dismember it, set it on fire, etc, would be tampering. It's tampering with or disturbing evidence; in this case, a corpse but can be any evidennce.

I find that word so insufficient sounding for the magnitude of what it implies. Almost sounds like tinkering.

Synonyms for tamper

Speaking as a fellow Texan, who does not own a coat, and would have to scrounge for a sweatshirt, it's not weird to wear it multiple days in a row as a top layer. It's just not worth investing in warm clothes here, even less so in Houston. Most of us look like something out of the Fisher King if it gets cold here - we just put on everything we own.

I agree with you completely on the coat/hoodie thing. I know my husband owns a coat or two, but it requires freezing temps for him to maybe dig one of those out. Otherwise, he's got a hoodie for what passes as "winter".

I would love to know more. What made her uneasy? I hat did she observe?

That was discussed a while back and I wondered if she noticed - consciously or unconsciously - MF mirroring Heidi.

I would like to know every detail of MF's life, her relationships and what people thought of her because I'm so interested in psychopaths and other cluster Bs. Many of them are popular with lots of friends but there are always people, like Heidi's mom, who pick up on something not feeling right about them. Because the personality disordered individual is usually a master manipulator, those who voice suspicions or more keen insight are usually brushed off.

I think tampering any interference with a dead body. If you shot someone in the head and just left them where they fell, no tampering. Move that body, bury it, dismember it, set it on fire, etc, would be tampering. It's tampering with or disturbing evidence; in this case, a corpse but can be any evidennce.

I find that word so insufficient sounding for the magnitude of what it implies. Almost sounds like tinkering.

Synonyms for tamper
I looked up the charge of intent to impair. That's the charge stated in the official docs. This is what it means according to Google.
(a) A person commits an offense if, knowing that an investigation or official proceeding is pending or in progress, he: (1) alters, destroys, or conceals any record, document, or thing with intent to impair its verity, legibility, or availability as evidence in the investigation or official proceeding; or human remains.

Unless the MF jurors are sequestered the way the anthony jurors were, I’m not worried.

There was no way after being prisoners for seven weeks that they were going to convict her of anything that would necessitate a sentencing phase and more time as prisoners.

Everyone always brings up that anomalous case as a cautionary tale but there are a few things to remember about it. One is that the unnecessarily severe sequestration conditions led to a jury eager to do whatever it took to go home. Since that case such sequestration has become increasingly rare. (They couldn’t call home without supervision. No internet. No tv except three cable channels, two of which were shopping network channels. No newspapers. Pre-approved movies only. They couldn’t go to the pool or hotel bar. They could only see their families on Sunday afternoons at a picnic area, supervised.)

To add to that point I s that contrary to popular belief, there were multiple charges they could have found her guilty of (sorry for that grammar there) but didn’t, likely because they couldn’t take another day:

1st degree murder
Second degree
3rd degree felony murder
Aggravated manslaughter of a child
Aggravated child abuse
Child abuse

Not even child abuse, folks.

Second is that casey Anthony is the exception that proves the rule. The rule being jurors aren’t stupid and tend to do their jobs diligently and guilty people don’t go free.

Every case we have, the handwringing starts “But what about casey Anthony?” (I’m guilty of it myself until I force myself to examine the issue).

But the fact that that and OJ are the only cases where the verdict was shockingly wrong despite tons of evidence, among thousands of high profile cases we examine here, shows the reality of the situation for defendants like MF.

Two cases. Both with good explanations for the outcomes.

I’m not worried in this case.

Wow, those sequestration conditions were horrible! No way in hell would I put up with that. Do you know if they were given that info in advance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly