TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #3 *NAME NOT RELEASED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes sometimes I get that way and think what are they hiding or who are they trying to protect then other times I think are they just so caught up in the day to day running of the Sheriffs Department that they don’t have the time/resources/budget/interest to spend time on it.

But they wouldn't need to spend any of those things would they? Othram and other agencies have expressed interest and don't they fund raise for each case? Something tells me it wouldn't take long to raise the funds for WCJD.
Something just doesn't feel right here:(

Here is some information about IFS:

Harris County Institute of Forensic Science - Wikipedia

I would have preferred to give you their web page rather than a Wikipedia Page but when I tried their web page server timed out, you may have better luck:

IFS - Institute of Forensic Sciences

So when the DNA Doe Project says someone else is working on WCJD’s case, it may be possible, this is me speculating mind you, they are referring to Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences. From the Wikipedia Article, they appear not to do DNA Research “In-house” so to speak, but again I can’t verify that because I couldn’t access their Web Site.

From IFS's web page:
"The Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences works to identify and reunite deceased individuals received by the Institute with their families. For those decedents who are unable to be identified, the Institute creates and makes available to the public Unidentified Decedent Fliers that include descriptions of each of the deceased in hopes of returning them to their families.

The list of Unidentified Decedent Fliers is organized by the date the deceased individual was received at the Institute of Forensic Sciences. If you are searching for a loved one, please keep in mind that there may be both short and long periods of time that pass between when the person was last seen living and when they are received by the Institute.

In addition, the fliers feature descriptions of the deceased, including demographics (estimated age, race, sex and stature), scars, marks, tattoos, and personal items found on or near the deceased individual. Other descriptors are estimated using pathologic, anthropologic and dental findings. Possible matches should not be eliminated based on strict comparison with the estimates and information provided."

It doesn't say anything about DNA though.

But they wouldn't need to spend any of those things would they? Othram and other agencies have expressed interest and don't they fund raise for each case? Something tells me it wouldn't take long to raise the funds for WCJD.

Agree, WCJD would get funded in a day, as would any other more "popular" UID.

If DDP or Othram were able to Fund Raise for WCJD I would estimate they would have all the funds they need within about 15 Minutes of announcing it :)

So if you go to: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

It says that the Case Owner is Walker County Sheriffs Department. It has no investigator entered, but I am fairly certain it used to, actually make that I am VERY certain it used to.

According to NAMUS, Case UP4360 (WCJD) was last modified 12/22/2020. Now this next bit is just my gut feeling, but I believe that is around the time the investigators name was removed, but it could have happened before that. I have only been on Websleuths for a year, and 4 days, :) , so that could have happened anytime between those two dates, but I am fairly certain I noticed that towards the end of last year / earlier this year.

What does that mean. Has the investigator moved on from WCSO? Have they actively stopped investigating the case? Who knows?

Anyway, moving on from Case Owner, the other Investigating Agency listed is Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.

There is even an actual person as a contact.

Here is some information about IFS:

Harris County Institute of Forensic Science - Wikipedia

I would have preferred to give you their web page rather than a Wikipedia Page but when I tried their web page server timed out, you may have better luck:

IFS - Institute of Forensic Sciences

So when the DNA Doe Project says someone else is working on WCJD’s case, it may be possible, this is me speculating mind you, they are referring to Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences. From the Wikipedia Article, they appear not to do DNA Research “In-house” so to speak, but again I can’t verify that because I couldn’t access their Web Site.
There was a contact name at the sheriffs office. It maybe the lack of leads that caused them to move the detective to another case. It could also be they got tired of being bombarded by people telling them the same things over and over and suggesting every known Jane Doe they find online. The fb post Carl made a couple years ago got tons of attention and there were so many people saying they were going to contact the detective. The cost of having to deal with all that and no new information might have made them shelf it for now.

The memories were more similar then the picture is why it was posted and not ruled out. Kati was a 16 year old that stayed in a motel were we met in the last part of oct 1980.
The exact location of the motel is fuzzy it was a very long time ago. She was with a couple in there maybe early 30's She said that she had runaway from Corpus Christi. In the 3-4 days at the motel she had worn the same clothes This white long hoodie type sweater over her bathing suit or long sleeve yellow sweater with blue jeans and sandals. I never seen her wear anything different. The motel was very small we rented 3 rooms my sister was to stay with me but after Kati told my mom she was a runaway she for bided
my sister to come over to my room without her there. Kati would come to my room every few hours and talk and brush her hair. she would brush her hair in these big wings..
After all the research this motel has to be in the Madisonville/Centerville Texas area.
Did she have belonging other than her clothes?
Also do you have a date when the picture was taken?

There was a contact name at the sheriffs office. It maybe the lack of leads that caused them to move the detective to another case. It could also be they got tired of being bombarded by people telling them the same things over and over and suggesting every known Jane Doe they find online. The fb post Carl made a couple years ago got tons of attention and there were so many people saying they were going to contact the detective. The cost of having to deal with all that and no new information might have made them shelf it for now.

That's understandable, but you have to admit it is a bit frustrating not seeing LE utilizing this new very successful technology especially with a case that is so well known. You'd thnik they would be the ones actively suggesting all their UIDs.

I do agree the Police department is sitting on their hands when it comes to this case. It should have never been able to go on for as long as it has. I imagine they have received a lot of misinformation and red herrings over the last 40 years that made them waste a lot of time and resources.

It could also be that they are in no hurry because her grave is a tourist attraction. I saw on Huntsville’s Wikipedia page Sam Houstons grave brings in visitors, so I am sure hers does as well.

I do agree the Police department is sitting on their hands when it comes to this case. It should have never been able to go on for as long as it has. I imagine they have received a lot of misinformation and red herrings over the last 40 years that made them waste a lot of time and resources.

It could also be that they are in no hurry because her grave is a tourist attraction. I saw on Huntsville’s Wikipedia page Sam Houstons grave brings in visitors, so I am sure hers does as well.
I live in the area and never heard about her until I was reading about another unidentified girl. She isn’t a tourist attraction. No one is making money off of her. Sam Houston was the general of the Texas army. Completely different.

I live in the area and never heard about her until I was reading about another unidentified girl. She isn’t a tourist attraction. No one is making money off of her. Sam Houston was the general of the Texas army. Completely different.

Well I’m just saying grave visiting and murder mysteries are a common attraction here in the United States and from the photos I have seen of her grave stone its pretty decorated.

I am going to go on my own tangent here, and suggest a possible MP as Walker County Jane Doe, even though she is not a perfect match height-wise.

Tammy Rose Surdam.
Original

She went missing in 1979, when she was 12. She was a notorious run away, and been hanging out in some not so good crowds since sometime in 1977. Anything from 1-2 years before. Family described her as "too trusting." Maybe it was just her being naive. It is suspected she met with foul play at the hands of a man who admitted to killing a 12 year old. A Danny Williams, who was accused and put on trial for the kidnapping and presumed murder of Gina Brooks 10 years later [This happened in 1989]. Leaving a big ol' 10 year gap.

She is listed as having blue eyes, but her image certainly looks more hazel than blue. [Hazel can also appear blue, it is an odd color]

However her height is listed as 5'10, which I find to be an incredible height for a 12 year old, but it is possible .

My second suggestion for Walker County Jane Doe, is Khymberly Marcella Scruggs.
1975.jpg
upload_2021-2-26_23-29-24.png
She went missing in jan 1980 from Sacramento, California.
She was 19 years old
5'6''
115 lbs
Her nose really reminds me of WCJD for some reason.
Eyes are listed as: brown
She had a chipped front tooth.

I can't see either ruled out on NamUs, but perhaps that is not a comprehensive list of comparisons.

According to Namus THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT ruled out.
Khymberly Marcella Scruggs
Tammy Rose Surdam
Pem Michelle Yates-Briggs

Rule outs left off of NamUs, I have found to be missing people from the area that LE may initially look at when the body is first found. Before it appears on NamUs.

According to Namus THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT ruled out.
Khymberly Marcella Scruggs
Tammy Rose Surdam
Pem Michelle Yates-Briggs

Rule outs left off of NamUs, I have found to be missing people from the area that LE may initially look at when the body is first found. Before it appears on NamUs.

I found a bit more comprehensive list over at grateful doe reddit:

Ruled out: Stated by the official Facebook page
“Who Was Walker County Jane Doe”:
Khymberly Scruggs
Theresa Vernell Jones

By her NamUS page:
Joyce Brewer
Mary Trlica
Wendy Eaton
Maria Anjiras
Cindy King
Tina Kemp
Kimberly Rae Doss,
Angela Meeker
Karen Zendrosky
Deborah McCall
Marie Blee
Kristy Lynn Booth
Rachael Garden
Laureen Rahn
Roxane Easland
Carla Corley

By CODIS:
Carol “Kitty” Donn
Michelle Mulcahy
Angie Meeker
Louise Davis
Teri Rhodes
Wendy Stevenson
Edna Throne
Cheryl “Cherie” Wyant
Teresa Alfonso
Andria Bailey
Lisa Borden
Sandra “Sandy” Butler
Dorothy Clitheroe
Judy Davis
Wendy Eaton
Karen Kamsch
Tina Kemp
Julie Moseley
Debbie Quimby
Angie Ramsey
Marcia Remick
Karen Zendrosky
Ann Ellinwood
Lisa Wilson
Robyn Pettinato
Diane Dye
Eva Ridda

So Khymberly is out pr info of this facebook page. I can't seem to view anything on facebook, or really find that source. I can not view anything from that account unless I log in it looks like.

I found a bit more comprehensive list over at grateful doe reddit:

Ruled out: Stated by the official Facebook page
“Who Was Walker County Jane Doe”:
Khymberly Scruggs
Theresa Vernell Jones

By her NamUS page:
Joyce Brewer
Mary Trlica
Wendy Eaton
Maria Anjiras
Cindy King
Tina Kemp
Kimberly Rae Doss,
Angela Meeker
Karen Zendrosky
Deborah McCall
Marie Blee
Kristy Lynn Booth
Rachael Garden
Laureen Rahn
Roxane Easland
Carla Corley

By CODIS:
Carol “Kitty” Donn
Michelle Mulcahy
Angie Meeker
Louise Davis
Teri Rhodes
Wendy Stevenson
Edna Throne
Cheryl “Cherie” Wyant
Teresa Alfonso
Andria Bailey
Lisa Borden
Sandra “Sandy” Butler
Dorothy Clitheroe
Judy Davis
Wendy Eaton
Karen Kamsch
Tina Kemp
Julie Moseley
Debbie Quimby
Angie Ramsey
Marcia Remick
Karen Zendrosky
Ann Ellinwood
Lisa Wilson
Robyn Pettinato
Diane Dye
Eva Ridda

So Khymberly is out pr info of this facebook page. I can't seem to view anything on facebook, or really find that source. I can not view anything from that account unless I log in it looks like.

That is such a comprehensive list. It makes me incredibly sad to see all these names of missing girls. They have all be gone for so long and there are so many more out there. Its heartbreaking:(

Does anyone know if maybe Matt Birkbeck might be interested in researching this case for a book? His book on the "Sharon Marshall" case seemed to help give that case some more attention and seemed to help get things moving along. EDJD case is similar to the SM case. Not sure if their is enough info. on EDJD for a book but, with some journalistic digging, who knows?

I have followed EDJD case for years quietly. Read everything about her I could find. Have read the HuffPost articles several times. Read these threads a few times as a lurker. I commend you all for the compassion and hard work shown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member