TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you think its not probable that no one picked him up? There was atleast one car on that road, within a short period of time (the car that reported the wreck). If one car was there, there could have been more.
I agree with @spaceycasey that it’s unlikely he was picked up on that road at that time of night. The one car that was on the road and saw his car was a fireman coming back from a call. I think that was just luck and there would be very few cars on that type of road late at night. I live 45 min. away from San Marcos the other direction, but I know these areas and these type of roads. It would be dead at that time.

I thought the same thing and went to search my notes on the same type of scenario
It is Matthew Lang
Found Deceased - OR - Matthew Lang, 33, Bend, 27 Oct 2020 *car found badly crashed*

Especially now that we hear they made a sonar hit on a pond. If they find Jason deceased in water it’ll make this a nearly 100% carbon copy of Matthews case.

It also seems in both cases they would have had to walk away from the crash scene to end up deceased in water, right?

Last edited:
Hope fading as search for missing Texas State student ends third day

To Note:
•it’s believed Jason made a wrong turn. A mistake that possibly happened at the intersection of U.S. 183 & Austin Street. That street is also Hwy 80 which is the route from San Marcos.
•It’s believed Jason was injured but able to walked away from the wreck site and then disappeared.
•The search Wednesday included teams on horseback. They worked through thick brush and once again across the vast oil field near the crash site.
•authorities turned their attention to a nearby pond where a sonar hit was made
I read that his parents said this was his normal route. Also, where is it stated that they made a sonar hit in a nearby pond? Lastly, does anyone know how far the abandoned house was from his car?

Last edited:
I read that his parents said this was his normal route. Also, where is it stated that they made a sonar hit in a nearby pond? Lastly, does anyone know how far the abandoned house was from his car?

Normal route? Yes, I believe it stated he may have missed his turn or made a wrong turn.
Sonar hit is stated in the link I posted above. Also states it is unclear if anything was found.
Distance of house from car? I’ll need to go back to check; I’m thinking it said quarter of a mile maybe..

Never sure where to ask this question and I certainly don’t want to highjack the thread..

But regarding the dogs loosing the scent it makes me think- for all the cases I read about and follow where dogs are used, I can’t think of a single one where the dogs actually found someone/something. Anyone else find that too?

I suppose for that reason I don’t put much weight on the fact the dogs tracked and lost his scent. Just thinking out loud...

Never sure where to ask this question and I certainly don’t want to highjack the thread..

But regarding the dogs loosing the scent it makes me think- for all the cases I read about and follow where dogs are used, I can’t think of a single one where the dogs actually found someone/something. Anyone else find that too?

I suppose for that reason I don’t put much weight on the fact the dogs tracked and lost his scent. Just thinking out loud...

I typically think an abrupt stop = picked up. but he was a man (i know, I know) on some Texas backroads. His dad said he thought JL's app took him off course. That tells my Texas brain that he wasn't encountering many people, if any

If it was cold enough for hypothermia, it could be paradoxical undressing.
I think an important consideration of this possibility would be whether the clothes were wet or dry.

Though I only have a general familiarity with the area, in and of itself, my guess is it was not truly hypothermia level cold, even in December and at night.

But, wet clothes can "wick away" body heat very quickly and greatly accelerate hypothermia. Likewise, perhaps alcohol can also accelerate it as well?

Semi desert areas are known for clear skies that don't trap heat. Thus temperatures can fall quickly at night. This could well create a very uncomfortable night for somebody lost and lightly clad.

But... I don't think the cold in and of itself would have been truly debilitating and then become deadly baring any snowballing of compounding circumstances.

Last edited:
I think an important consideration of this possibility would be whether the clothes were wet or dry.

Though I only have a general familiarity with the area, in and of itself, my guess is it was not truly hypothermia level cold, even in December and at night.

But, wet clothes can "wick away" body heat very quickly and greatly accelerate hypothermia. Likewise, perhaps alcohol can also accelerate it as well?

Semi desert areas are known for clear skies that don't trap heat. Thus temperatures can fall quickly at night. This could well create a very uncomfortable night for somebody lost and lightly clad.

But... I don't think the cold in and of itself would have been truly debilitating and then become deadly baring any snowballing of compounding circumstances.
Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone dying from hypothermia here in South Texas—not that it’s impossible! But unlikely IMO. Mostly I think he may have been injured. His dad said he absolutely could have gotten a head injury b/c the driver’s side was very wrecked from hitting trees, and there were no side airbags. Also they did find a small amount of blood inside the car.
I wonder if anything will come of the sonar ping in the pond?

A single car wreck on a deserted road can happen to anyone. I just don’t understand why he didn’t use his cell phone to contact anyone. For the record I’m presuming he didn’t because it hasn’t been stated anywhere that he did. I get being stunned, I get being disoriented. I just don’t understand why he didn’t take his cell with him, or try to contact a buddy to come help him.

maybe it flew and he couldnt find it.

a friend of mine rolled his car once in the desert near hesperia and was ejected and injured his back pretty bad and couldnt find his phone. luckily someone found him.

I feel so terrible for his family. This has got to be pure hell for them. The more time that passes without finding him, the less likely he will be found alive, and they know that.

I feel pretty confident that he will be found, but when and exactly where is anyone’s guess. I think he won’t be TOO far from his car though.

I have one daughter in college and one going next year, possibly to TX State. This hits close to home.

Can someone pls explain what they mean by a "Sonar ping" in the nearby body of water?
Sonar uses sound waves to detect anomalies in bodies of water. It sounds like sonar picked up an anomaly the size of a body.

From Wikipedia: Active sonar creates a pulse of sound, often called a "ping", and then listens for reflections ( echo) of the pulse.

Sonar uses sound waves to detect anomalies in bodies of water. It sounds like sonar picked up an anomaly the size of a body.

From Wikipedia: Active sonar creates a pulse of sound, often called a "ping", and then listens for reflections ( echo) of the pulse.

The time it takes for the pings to come back give a distance. The bottom of the body of water is mapped by putting together the results of many pings. Once mapped, if an object looks like potentially the size and shape of what they are looking for (like a body)...they investigate.

Being fairly new to WS I just have to tell you what your positive & respectful replies do MY own willingness to ask questions without fear or embarassment! You all are appreciated and encourage others with your kindness! TYSM

The time it takes for the pings to come back give a distance. The bottom of the body of water is mapped by putting together the results of many pings. Once mapped, if an object looks like potentially the size and shape of what they are looking for (like a body)...they investigate.

Texas State University student still missing, search ongoing

3 hrs ago
Day four of the search began bright and early on Thursday morning.

Jason’s dad, Kent Landry, was on site as well, along with several other family members as crews continued their search.

“Some people have asked, could it be possible [Jason] could be hiding or scared, because he wrecked the car,” Kent said. “I can’t imagine that would be true.”

upload_2020-12-17_18-24-26.jpeg
The search for Texas State University student Jason Landry is still ongoing (KXAN Photo/Jala Washington)

We are interrupting your thread to tell you something very important.

We are holding a week-long fundraiser for our wonderful moderators.

The mods volunteer their time to keep Websleuths not only running smoothly but they literally keep Websleuths running period.

Without the mods, Websleuths would not be anything close to the forum it is today. More than likely without the mods Websleuths would not be here period!

CLICK RIGHT HERE AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO PAYPAL SO YOU CAN DONATE TO THE WEBSLEUTHS MODERATORS!

If you would rather use Venmo the name to use is Tricia-Griffith-14

Please do not donate unless you can truly afford to do so. We completely understand if you cannot donate.
If you want you can leave a message for our wonderful mods! JUST CLICK HERE and you will be taken to a thread where you can leave your message and that has more information on the moderator's incredible work.

From my heart and soul, I cannot thank the moderators enough for their dedication, compassion, and hard work.

Thank you,
Tricia Griffith
PS. Please do not discuss the fundraiser on this thread. The mods will kill me.

I am unclear whether dogs followed his scent to an abandoned house or not?? One article mentioned that, another article says he walked a distance and then they lost the scent. (these are not quotes)

I guess these discrepancies in reporting are typical. Sigh.
So if dogs tracked his scent from his car to the abandoned house (roughly 1/4 mile), then lost it, but then yesterday, 5 dogs picked up his scent at the pond ... could this mean he may have been in a vehicle between the house and the pond, perhaps indicating foul play? How far is the pond from the abandoned house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3