TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police looking for a Texas State University student in Caldwell County

“The car got off the road and spun around, and the back driver-side trunk, bumper and the side of the car took most of the impact," Cockrell said Thursday.

Cockrell said emergency crews found some of Landry's personal items outside of the car at the scene of the crash, including a backpack that helped authorities identify him and contact his family. He said authorities currently do not believe anything was taken from Landry's vehicle.

I'm glad that he hasn't been found in the pond, but nervous as to what on earth led all those dogs to the pond.

moo
Me too. And I’m nervous that he left his phone and backpack (w/some sort of identifying item) in the car. It would make sense that if he went to find help he would have taken those things with him. It speaks to how bad of an injury he might of had or if he left involuntarily (not as likely IMO). Surprising he hasn’t been found yet.

Hey Everyone,

Forgive me for interrupting your discussion

The Websleuths moderators are the reason why Websleuths runs smoothly and is one of the most respected true crime discussion forums in the world.

Websleuths moderators are all volunteers.
That's why from now until Thursday, Dec. 24th we are asking those who can afford to do so to please donate to our moderator fund-raiser. We will divide all the money raised among the moderators.

CLICK HERE TO DONATE USING PAYPAL
If you would rather use Venmo the name is: Tricia-Griffith-14

Please DO NOT make a donation unless you can absolutely afford to do so.

With every fiber of my being, I want our moderators to know how much I personally appreciate it and how grateful I am for all their hard work.

Without our mod team today Websleuths could not function.

We all completely understand if you cannot make a donation however, I ask that you leave a comment for the mods on our special thread which you can get to by CLICKING HERE!

Thank you very much,
Tricia
PS PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS ON THIS THREAD. THE MODS WILL KILL ME.

So if dogs tracked his scent from his car to the abandoned house (roughly 1/4 mile), then lost it, but then yesterday, 5 dogs picked up his scent at the pond ... could this mean he may have been in a vehicle between the house and the pond, perhaps indicating foul play? How far is the pond from the abandoned house?

I think that it most likely means that quite often, dogs are no help at all.

Regarding dogs’ ability to track some effectively:

https://azstar.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/77Facts.pdf

I’m no expert in this area at all, but seems to me there’s not really a simple yes or no if whether tracking dogs are effective.
•Airscenting dogs are cross-trained to trail or track and can do so if the area is undisturbed and the track is not too old.
•search dog team is effective at night:
-probability of detection is much greater at night
-Other than nighttime, early morning and late afternoon and evening are the best times for a search dog team. Midday convection currents in summer decrease the dog's effectiveness.
•Probability of Detection varies for search dog teams according wind, convection, terrain and vegetation barriers.
The handler part of the team will run at 50% Pod just like a grid searcher at 100 ft.; except the dog handler will be covering only about one-third of the country (16.5%) since she's more likely gridding at 300 ft. (Only 100 ft. will be covered in every 300 ft. by the handler's eyes alone.)
The dog's Probability of Detection will run from 5% to 95% at 300 ft. based on weather conditions.
5% to 95% is a wide range IMO
BUT apparently there are tracking dogs, trail dogs, & airscenting dogs ??

Never sure where to ask this question and I certainly don’t want to highjack the thread..

But regarding the dogs loosing the scent it makes me think- for all the cases I read about and follow where dogs are used, I can’t think of a single one where the dogs actually found someone/something. Anyone else find that too?

I suppose for that reason I don’t put much weight on the fact the dogs tracked and lost his scent. Just thinking out loud...

I have one theory...

Perhaps the cases where dogs are used to look for missing persons...
and the persons ARE found relatively rapidly through the help of the dogs...
Do not reach Websleuths...

The more mysterious/complex cases come to Websleuths...

In those cases where missing persons are found rapidly...
dogs may have been used...
and the searches most likely have the same sources as those cases NOT solved rapidly...

JMO... personally I feel it is not fair to question the reliability of the search dogs as I mostly do not feel it is the fault of the hard working LE/VOLUNTEERS/etc. for the length of time a missing person case is solved... if at all...

SOOOOO many other factors are involved to make these WS casess complicated ones...

ALL ... JMO...

I have one theory...

Perhaps the cases where dogs are used to look for missing persons...
and the persons ARE found relatively rapidly through the help of the dogs...
Do not reach Websleuths...

The more mysterious/complex cases come to Websleuths...

In those cases where missing persons are found rapidly...
dogs may have been used...
and the searches most likely have the same sources as those cases NOT solved rapidly...

JMO... personally I feel it is not fair to question the reliability of the search dogs as I mostly do not feel it is the fault of the hard working LE/VOLUNTEERS/etc. for the length of time a missing person case is solved... if at all...

SOOOOO many other factors are involved to make these WS casess complicated ones...

ALL ... JMO...

Well yes,

The sniffer dogs constitute a valuable tool, they are not infallible as we saw in the Tia Sharpe case, they are part of a team. They are trained by individual handlers, so standards may vary.

It would be interesting to see the publication of data showing in how many cases where they were deployed evidence was submitted; whether this evidence stood up in court without other backup.

And on the other hand, how successful have sniffer/tracer dogs been in finding people per se?

I think they must be, maybe someone has stats?

I thought of Brandon Lawson also. Regardless of any drug use allegations, these cases make me sad. I was once stranded and wandering around Houston. Luckily, found a nice security guard, and he helped me through everything, and even offered to drive me 30 mins to where my car was. Just from IMOO, I cant imagine him coming across someone, and in that area, and someone who meant harm. I think he may be had a concussion, and then he stumbled somewhere. His family is so close to me, I pray they can get through this season, and have any type of good news. Whether it's Jason himself, or at least someone to lay to rest. What a tragedy. I still hold out hope, though.

All MOO from either having wrecked or being disoriented in the SE Texas area.
I also grew up in SE Tx. I once had a single car accident at night coming home from college and the closest town (with a working pay phone) was Cut-n-Shoot. That was literally out in the middle of nowhere before cell phones were common. I remember the adrenaline with a wreck in the middle of nowhere. My point is this - if he didn’t make an immediate rash decision and he didn’t have a head injury I am stumped. In a panic I can see him wandering into an oil field and falling into an empty well/hole. But if he had his senses post crash and got into a vehicle anything is possible. I agree that Texans in general are known to help each other, but it doesn’t mean monsters aren’t out there. I’ve actually avoided checking this page for hours in fear that they found him deceased. I think this case is so sad and strange from a personal level who has been in a similar situation. It makes you question whether survival really comes down to luck, chance, faith, or fate.

Last edited:
Missouri City church provides update on search for missing Texas State student

According to the church, investigators said dogs led them to a pond, which they later drained. But from the best they could tell, Landry’s body was not in there. DPS said Friday night that nothing was found in the pond.
On Saturday, investigators will start the search again, which will include K-9 units, a plane, a team of 40 people searching and teams on horses, according to the church. While others have also continued to search the area throughout the week. Investigators will also take DNA from the car and gather any other evidence.

Officials drain pond in search of Texas State student reported missing

A prayer vigil has been planned as family and friends continue to search for 21-year-old Jason Landry.

According to a Facebook post, the events organizers said there will be scripture reading, worship and prayers as they lift up the Landry family during such a hard time.

The vigil will be held at Southmnister Presbyterian Church in Missouri City on Dec. 20 at 6 p.m

Missouri City church provides update on search for missing Texas State student

According to the church, investigators said dogs led them to a pond, which they later drained. But from the best they could tell, Landry’s body was not in there. DPS said Friday night that nothing was found in the pond.
On Saturday, investigators will start the search again, which will include K-9 units, a plane, a team of 40 people searching and teams on horses, according to the church. While others have also continued to search the area throughout the week. Investigators will also take DNA from the car and gather any other evidence.
I’m so glad they’ll be searching again tomorrow. With ALOT of resources!

Well yes,

The sniffer dogs constitute a valuable tool, they are not infallible as we saw in the Tia Sharpe case, they are part of a team. They are trained by individual handlers, so standards may vary.

It would be interesting to see the publication of data showing in how many cases where they were deployed evidence was submitted; whether this evidence stood up in court without other backup.

And on the other hand, how successful have sniffer/tracer dogs been in finding people per se?

I think they must be, maybe someone has stats?

I am going to have to say IMO, because I don't remember the movie, but it was based on a true story, and the child was hidden in the woods underground, in like a vault or something, and leaves covered it. Someone had a dog and the dog started going nuts and the people said, aw, there's nothing there, but the dog wouldn't leave and they did sweep away the leaves and stuff and they found the little boy. I think it was a boy. The guy had held him in a trailer, and then he locked the kid underground but the man got caught and wouldn't say where the kid was. I think the whole main focus on the story was on the dog and how the dog was some kind of service dog reject or something and the woman took it and it became a tracker dog. The kid was missing so they called her and her dog for help.
Does this sound familiar at all to anyone? It's been awhile. Quite awhile. Has anyone ever seen any of those search and rescue movies or whatever you call them? Where they focus on the skills of the dogs?

I'm sorry, everyone, I've had a very draining few days but I had to start the thread when I saw there wasn't one here. I am dealing with way more than I am able to at this point, so, unless I check in for news, I don't think I'll be back. I hope he's found safe and alive.
Did they check hospitals for amnesia victims? Maybe someone did come along and took him in the direction they were going because he didn't know who he was. Maybe he is okay. Could some LE person have mistaken him for someone else and they have him in jail somewhere, thinking he's a criminal? I don't see how, but, hey, cover all the bases, right? Good luck and God bless you all. Thank you. Hope for the best. Believe.

I think what makes this so ominous is the fact that he left his car in the middle of the night without his phone or backpack. Especially the phone. There’s NO WAY I’d go walking anywhere out there alone until I found my phone in the car. And since he was going home for Christmas he probably had a charger, laptop & other important things. IMO if he had been relatively okay, he would have taken at least his backpack w/some important items. It’s weird though b/c the car is definitely wrecked, but it doesn’t look THAT terrible by the driver’s side. I know he could have hit his head just the right way, but it’s not like you look at the car and think nobody could have survived that (like in Matthew Lang’s case). I don’t know. It’s sad and strange.

I think what makes this so ominous is the fact that he left his car in the middle of the night without his phone or backpack. Especially the phone. There’s NO WAY I’d go walking anywhere out there alone until I found my phone in the car. And since he was going home for Christmas he probably had a charger, laptop & other important things. IMO if he had been relatively okay, he would have taken at least his backpack w/some important items. It’s weird though b/c the car is definitely wrecked, but it doesn’t look THAT terrible by the driver’s side. I know he could have hit his head just the right way, but it’s not like you look at the car and think nobody could have survived that (like in Matthew Lang’s case). I don’t know. It’s sad and strange.

But have you ever been through something like this? It doesn't have to be ominous. It was late, he must have been tired, the accident sounds severe. Maybe he is near where the car was. Maybe he's in a hospital. I lose my phone, and the phone flew. It was buried under a seat. If his head was hurting or bleeding, he wasn't going to bend over and look everywhere. How could he find it? He couldn't call it. He's young. He's strong. Some people have made it thru a week. Give him that chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member