TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching a movie the other night, not even thinking of this case, and all of a sudden a thought hit me. I paused my movie, got up and grabbed a pen and paper, and jotted down my thoughts. That's not very usual for me to do something like that but I felt if it's going to hit me out of the blue like that, I'd better write it down.

My thought was he wasn't doing well mentally. College has his challenges, he didn't appear to be real popular by looking at his online stuff, and you all have to admit... 2020 is a really sucky year. Spousal (and animal) abuse has spiked up, as have calls into suicide hotlines, depression, and actual suicides.

Lastly, although I feel this is highly unlikely but one never knows... I was reading the other day about a new, rare Covid-19 symptom - a small number of Covid patients develop severe psychotic symptoms, most had no history of mental illness and became psychotic weeks after contracting the virus. Cases are being reported worldwide. And no, this is not a Fox 7 news teaser to lure you in... *chuckle* this is being reported in media such as the New York Times, as well as medical (.gov) and education (.edu) sites. Most had no history of mental illness and became psychotic weeks after contracting the virus. Cases are expected to remain rare but are being reported worldwide.

I feel he was overwhelmed by life (who isn't from time to time, and more so this year), had planned on committing suicide, hence being that far up a gravel road (anyone in their right mind would have immediately turned around unless they meant to be there).

As for the spinout... I feel he might have considered crashing into the tree, then perhaps chickened out at the last minute which caused the spinout. Then he decided to finish it by doing whatever it is he did, yet we don't know what that is at this time, and maybe never will. I think the chances of someone abducting him are slim. I could be wrong about this but I'd be more apt to think that could be a high probability if it were a female out in the wee hours all alone in the dark.

He left his keys, wallet and backpack. I purposed omitted including his phone because I can't be sure about that as it was wedged under his seat and likely hard to find and/or retrieve. Had it been ON the seat, or on the ground with his other stuff, I would have included it as (purposely) 'left behind'.

Anyone looking to be saved is going to bring their important stuff with them. Heck, a few of you know that when I rolled my car I carried ONE shoe I was able to find in the dark with me. That shoe was very important to me in my state. But seriously... I don't entirely remember but I'm thinking I took my car keys and likely my purse as well. You know, everything important (like that darn dancing shoe. lol) :p

He's obviously somewhere but I'm more apt to think it's his body out there, not him being cared for somewhere. I feel someone would have come forward by now IMHO. Too much time has passed. :(

And sorry about the length of this post (if you even made it this far. lol) I tend to get a little wordy at times. (No kidding, Gemmie. *chuckle*)

From earlier news reports, it appears that JL's vehicle was found crashed and abandoned in a ditch somewhere near 2365 Salt Flat Road, Luling, Tx. Reportedly, the TX Dept of Public Service (DPS) was contacted by a passerby about the abandoned vehicle late Sunday evening, Dec 13, and DPS prepared a report on this date. While it's been reported that JL's family was notified about the vehicle on the early morning of Dec 15, it's unknown exactly what date and time the vehicle was towed to the storage and/or impound location as seen on the news.

However, according to a Caldwell County Sheriff's Sgt., vehicles are frequently abandoned in remote areas such as Salt Flats Road:

Caldwell County Sheriff’s Sgt. William Miller told CrimeOnline that investigators were not immediately concerned about Landry’s safety just after the discovery of his vehicle, because of how frequently police receive reports of abandoned cars in the remote area of central Texas.

“That happens all the time,” Miller said. Much more often than not, the owner will reclaim the vehicle after a day or two, having left it to seek help for car trouble, or in some cases, because they got into a DUI crash and did not want to call police to the scene. Miller reiterated earlier police statements that there is no indication alcohol or drugs contributed to Landry’s wreck.

Late last week, Miller said, Texas DPS turned over the missing persons investigation to the Caldwell County Sheriff’s office, while DPS focuses on the crash investigation.

12/22/2020

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays
If taken literally this article is confusing to me too.

It says DPS prepared a report on December 13th.
It also says that the family found out about the vehicle on the early morning of the 15th.

Is that accurate? Did they not know what happened until then?

It also says that the family found out about the vehicle on the early morning of the 15th.

I don't believe all of that is an article. At least the first paragraph reads to me like someone from this forum wrote it (and had a typo in the date), the rest being quoted from the article. MOO

What I've read is Dad was contacted Monday around 2am which was 12/14/20. Jason had left late on the 13th so that timing seems more correct (to me) than getting a call days later.

OT, the woman who was lost in the Mojave desert over a year ago was found deceased not long ago in the general area that had been already searched, apparently (Barbara Thompson, I think.) And I remember several cases when people were found later on their own properties, long after searchers had been over the area. It happens surprisingly often, imo.

No, that CrimeOnline article is inaccurate. One thing we actually do know in this case is that he left Sunday night Dec. 13, and the police report/notifying parents was early morning of Dec. 14. I hadn’t noticed that about this article, but it is wrong!

I don't believe all of that is an article. At least the first paragraph reads to me like someone from this forum wrote it (and had a typo in the date), the rest being quoted from the article. MOO

What I've read is Dad was contacted Monday around 2am which was 12/14/20. Jason had left late on the 13th so that timing seems more correct (to me) than getting a call days later.
I think part of the confusion stems from this Crime Online story that mistakenly calls Dec. 14 a Sunday and Dec. 15 a Monday. Using a calendar should be part of Journalism 101.
Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays

I think part of the confusion stems from this Crime Online story that mistakenly calls Dec. 14 a Sunday and Dec. 15 a Monday. Using a calendar should be part of Journalism 101.

Right. He left Texas State late Sunday, Dec. 13th, and his parents were notified of the accident early Monday, Dec. 14th. It can be confusing because it was literally the middle of the night, but after midnight.

In regards to him leaving late at night, I don't personally find that odd. I feel like a lot of my friends in college would leave at all hours to drive home. Could he have been working that night before leaving? Or maybe having some sort of end of semester get-together with friends? Or maybe just wanted to avoid traffic?

I also don't personally find it odd that his parents were in bed. That was a work night, so if they have jobs, they likely would have had to be up early in the morning. Maybe they told him to wake them upon getting home. My mom is a huge worrier, but even she went to bed when I was out in college. I didn't have a curfew when home from college and also got a job as a waitress at a 24 hour restaurant so often worked until 3 or 4 AM. She would go to bed but just asked me to wake her when I arrived home so she knew I was home safe and sound. Just MOO

I was watching a movie the other night, not even thinking of this case, and all of a sudden a thought hit me. I paused my movie, got up and grabbed a pen and paper, and jotted down my thoughts. That's not very usual for me to do something like that but I felt if it's going to hit me out of the blue like that, I'd better write it down.

My thought was he wasn't doing well mentally. College has his challenges, he didn't appear to be real popular by looking at his online stuff, and you all have to admit... 2020 is a really sucky year. Spousal (and animal) abuse has spiked up, as have calls into suicide hotlines, depression, and actual suicides.

Lastly, although I feel this is highly unlikely but one never knows... I was reading the other day about a new, rare Covid-19 symptom - a small number of Covid patients develop severe psychotic symptoms, most had no history of mental illness and became psychotic weeks after contracting the virus. Cases are being reported worldwide. And no, this is not a Fox 7 news teaser to lure you in... *chuckle* this is being reported in media such as the New York Times, as well as medical (.gov) and education (.edu) sites. Most had no history of mental illness and became psychotic weeks after contracting the virus. Cases are expected to remain rare but are being reported worldwide.

I feel he was overwhelmed by life (who isn't from time to time, and more so this year), had planned on committing suicide, hence being that far up a gravel road (anyone in their right mind would have immediately turned around unless they meant to be there).

As for the spinout... I feel he might have considered crashing into the tree, then perhaps chickened out at the last minute which caused the spinout. Then he decided to finish it by doing whatever it is he did, yet we don't know what that is at this time, and maybe never will. I think the chances of someone abducting him are slim. I could be wrong about this but I'd be more apt to think that could be a high probability if it were a female out in the wee hours all alone in the dark.

He left his keys, wallet and backpack. I purposed omitted including his phone because I can't be sure about that as it was wedged under his seat and likely hard to find and/or retrieve. Had it been ON the seat, or on the ground with his other stuff, I would have included it as (purposely) 'left behind'.

Anyone looking to be saved is going to bring their important stuff with them. Heck, a few of you know that when I rolled my car I carried ONE shoe I was able to find in the dark with me. That shoe was very important to me in my state. But seriously... I don't entirely remember but I'm thinking I took my car keys and likely my purse as well. You know, everything important (like that darn dancing shoe. lol) :p

He's obviously somewhere but I'm more apt to think it's his body out there, not him being cared for somewhere. I feel someone would have come forward by now IMHO. Too much time has passed. :(

And sorry about the length of this post (if you even made it this far. lol) I tend to get a little wordy at times. (No kidding, Gemmie. *chuckle*)

I agree with this. Lots of mental health issues show up in early adulthood. It might also be telling that his dad is a pastor, and I say that as the spouse of a former pastor's kid. There can be a lot of pressure on PKs to perform well and set standards. I have always suspected mental health issues from the beginning, and I fear that the location was intended, perhaps as well as the crash itself. Maybe he was self-medicating. I also think this might not have been his first time experiencing mental health issues, and his parents know this. I really feel for them.

Google Maps

Here is a map of Salt Flat Rd. The pin is in the 2300 block where we believe the wreck was. If you zoom out, you can see how he came in to Luling from the west on 80 and should have turned right on 80 in town to go south to get to IH 10. But he didn’t turn and went across and the road curves up to go north turning into Salt Flat (128). As you can see Salt Flat goes north to the middle of nowhere and doesn’t connect to anything that would turn all the way back south where he needed to be.

Basically he was going in the complete opposite direction and really far for that matter. (On gravel.)He could have literally stopped in the middle of the road and have done a 20 point turn. No one would be coming.

This has been a sticking point for me that there was no good reason for him to be where he was. It’s hard for me to believe he accidentally went that far, but if he was a dedicated Waze user and it led him wrong, then I can see maybe he just kept trusting it?
Yes, it could be that he was relying on the App and it led him in the wrong direction. We probably won't know until LE is able to retrieve the data on his phone.

If he missed the turn on 80 it sounds like he could have ended up on Salt Flat Rd just by continuing down the road he was on.

He could have been driving impaired, or was tired and maybe dozing off at the wheel.

The only other reason I can think of if he went down that road intentionally is that he planned to meet someone or maybe stop by at a friends house, but there don't seem to be many houses in the area.

So I think it's more likely that he was lost and not familiar with the road or his surroundings.

I just wish they would find him.

Last edited:
Just popped in to say I am in my twenties and know a decent amount of kids who have come home from Christmas break to sell drugs (usually weed, LSD, or oxy) to their childhood friends.
It doesn't say how much narcotics were in his backpack so I'm unsure if they were just for him or for sharing.
Also, obviously, maybe he's scared to come back & catch a drug charge. Hope he's alright.

Texas State Off Campus Housing | The Retreat
This is where he lived according to his address. I wonder if campus police are responsible for issues arising here or if San Marcos PD is responsible. It is hard for me to understand how he could afford to live here alone, if he did. Plus, it appears the smallest unit is a two bedroom.

Texas State Off Campus Housing | The Retreat
This is where he lived according to his address. I wonder if campus police are responsible for issues arising here or if San Marcos PD is responsible. It is hard for me to understand how he could afford to live here alone, if he did. Plus, it appears the smallest unit is a two bedroom.

I bet his parents were paying for his rent. MOO.

That's a long long way to travel the wrong direction. I really don't think he relied on WAZE for what is essentially a 1 turn trip all the way from San Marcos to Houston. There's 1 turn and it is in town at a lighted intersection. Miss it? Maybe .. hardly.. but OK, miss it and you go across the intersection and turn around. You don't drive 6 miles down a gravel road in the wrong direction. Waze is messed up sometimes but not that messed up. This is precisely why I don't think he drove the car there.
I think it’s possible he drove the car there, but I do think there’s a puzzle piece we are missing. (Ie. Real or imagined that he was being followed/chased, suicidal, driving under the influence, psychotic episode, meeting someone down that road, etc.) Or, like you said, there’s still the possibility that he wasn’t driving the car...though I lean toward thinking he was. I just think we are missing too much information which is why we are all just left to guess/speculate.

I hope LE is filling in some of the holes in this story. And hoping JL’s family will have some answers soon.

OT, the woman who was lost in the Mojave desert over a year ago was found deceased not long ago in the general area that had been already searched, apparently (Barbara Thompson, I think.) And I remember several cases when people were found later on their own properties, long after searchers had been over the area. It happens surprisingly often, imo.
Oh, WOW!!! I followed that case, but hadn’t heard this. I’ll have to head back to her thread. Thank you!

Does Waze continue to work if there is no cell service?
I just looked, and no, you must have an active internet connection for Waze to work. WiFi or cell.

How does Waze work? - Waze Help

“Waze was built assuming a data network connection would be present all, or at least most, of the time. For all aspects of Waze to operate, you must have an active data connection on your mobile device. This connection enriches Waze with real-time traffic-related information and ensures an up-to-date map. Without an internet connection, you won't be able to locate or navigate a route.

If you have an intermittent connection, Waze will try to get data from the servers for traffic alerts and hazards, but may not be able to give you reliable information. Additionally, if Waze doesn't have a connection back to the Waze servers, you will not be able to post hazards. Waze does not cache reports or map issues to send later.”

I just looked, and no, you must have an active internet connection for Waze to work. WiFi or cell.

How does Waze work? - Waze Help

“Waze was built assuming a data network connection would be present all, or at least most, of the time. For all aspects of Waze to operate, you must have an active data connection on your mobile device. This connection enriches Waze with real-time traffic-related information and ensures an up-to-date map. Without an internet connection, you won't be able to locate or navigate a route.

If you have an intermittent connection, Waze will try to get data from the servers for traffic alerts and hazards, but may not be able to give you reliable information. Additionally, if Waze doesn't have a connection back to the Waze servers, you will not be able to post hazards. Waze does not cache reports or map issues to send later.”

So... if he lost cell phone service right after missing his turn, would Waze let him know the connection was lost? Would it even be able to recalculate his route at that point?

Last edited:
I think a clue would be if we knew that he had told his parents that he was leaving late that night to head home.

If he had not told his parents he was coming home and they were not expecting him that night or even that weekend - then I am more inclined to think home was not his intended destination.

My college age young adult family members would rather be around their friends and work versus spending a few weeks at their parents.

Maybe he quickly had to “get out of here” or “people are after me” - sudden onset psychological issue. Perhaps paranoid after a smoke.

I think it looks more like he was fleeing a perceived someone or something instead of a wrong turn.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member