TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read all the comments on this on both threads and it’s just mind blowing. I can’t figure out what is going on....I don’t think we’ve been given a lot of info but the first time I read about it I just didn’t think he intentionally went 7 or 8 miles down Salt Flat Road even if he did miss his turn or was following gps....at some point common sense would kick in and one would turn around....which makes me believe he was in a terrible mindset or altered state or someone else was driving or in the vehicle with him forcing him to drive down that road.....just so strange. I have a young cousin who went to TSU for a semester.....he and I live in East Texas....so I have really been following this case...It doesn’t look good though imho....so sad.

Is there any possibility that police would be operating a DUI check on his route, Waze told him about it, and he wanted to avoid it because of whatever is in the backpack? Seems unlikely on a Sunday night.
WAZE puts a police figure on the route on the phone map if someone reports it. If that had occurred, he would have had plenty of time to take another route well before coming to the intersection where he should have turned right.
That shouldn't have been an issue.

Last edited:
I wish we knew what kind of drugs were found in the backpack. If I had to guess at this point, my feeling is that it’s something illegal but a personal amount. What I have no idea though.

I really think it’s possible that the drugs come into play only in that he could have been under the influence and this is what caused him to be way off his route and the crash itself. It could also explain his fleeing and leaving all of his things behind. I’m actually considering that he might even be in hiding somewhere and is too afraid to show his face after this whole ordeal. Could he be with a friend and now they’re too scared to come forward? And this is why the dogs lost his scent a little ways down the road? He was picked up? Could this end up being exactly what LE said they see all the time—a wrecked car that someone has fled to avoid a DUI? I really hope so because it’s the best case at this point.
But then how would he have called someone to pick him up if his phone was still wedged under the seat? And why leave the backpack behind? Unless he was just so high on something? Ugh, I don’t know. Too many questions! :p

Google Maps

Here is a map of Salt Flat Rd. The pin is in the 2300 block where we believe the wreck was. If you zoom out, you can see how he came in to Luling from the west on 80 and should have turned right on 80 in town to go south to get to IH 10. But he didn’t turn and went across and the road curves up to go north turning into Salt Flat (128). As you can see Salt Flat goes north to the middle of nowhere and doesn’t connect to anything that would turn all the way back south where he needed to be.

Basically he was going in the complete opposite direction and really far for that matter. (On gravel.)He could have literally stopped in the middle of the road and have done a 20 point turn. No one would be coming.

This has been a sticking point for me that there was no good reason for him to be where he was. It’s hard for me to believe he accidentally went that far, but if he was a dedicated Waze user and it led him wrong, then I can see maybe he just kept trusting it?

His father said that he was a dedicated Waze user, trusting it very much. So I’ve wondered—what if Waze crashed? Those GPS apps do lock up, now and then. Or go silent.

So, in this case, if it didn’t tell him to turn at that intersection, he’d drive on straight, which he did.

Then, when he became aware that he was on a gravel road, and that was weird, he might just keep driving, assuming that he was on an alternate route, and that Waze was silent because it was more efficient to continue on than to turn around and go back.

And then maybe a rabbit ran across the road and he, not used to driving on gravel, swerved to avoid it.

All this is entirely my speculation. (Although personally, I think it’s more plausible than the idea that he went down the road to make a drug delivery.)

I wish we knew what kind of drugs were found in the backpack. If I had to guess at this point, my feeling is that it’s something illegal but a personal amount. What I have no idea though. <RSBM>

Until we learn more, I’m leaning toward the “narcotics” being personal in nature as well. One theory about LE saying that alcohol/drugs didn’t play a role in the accident is that they wanted to reassure him that it was ok to emerge if he was in fact hiding.

I don’t think that would make sense if he had significant quantities of black tar heroin, for instance. First, He would know that would be a problem regardless of public statements. Second, LE (IMO) would be much more likely to take this approach if the “narcotics” were minimal in quantity or type.

I still suspect he was affected by some sort of episode that resulted in disordered thinking, but I’m thinking something more like a manic episode than depression. JMO.

That's a long long way to travel the wrong direction. I really don't think he relied on WAZE for what is essentially a 1 turn trip all the way from San Marcos to Houston. There's 1 turn and it is in town at a lighted intersection. Miss it? Maybe .. hardly.. but OK, miss it and you go across the intersection and turn around. You don't drive 6 miles down a gravel road in the wrong direction. Waze is messed up sometimes but not that messed up. This is precisely why I don't think he drove the car there.

I could not agree with you more.

I am also familiar with the drive from TSU to Houston-- pre and post cellular phones and navigational apps. And while I admit to being directionally challenged, I can attest that never have I needed a navigational app to drive 23 miles on the San Marcos Hwy (TX80), and connect to Interstate-10 at the interchange in Luling, TX. It's a no brainer. (As for the city limits of Houston, that's another story)!

IMO, Texas is no different than most of the US where state and county roads predate the Interstate system. Whereas many state highways tend to run right through the city center (i.e., towns grew/expanded around the roads), the Interstate system was intentionally built along the outskirts of towns.

As previously noted, JL's route from school to the family home in Missouri City requires traveling about 23 miles on the San Marcos Highway to connect to I-10 in Luling. This drive requires no stops, turns, off-ramps, or merging until you reach the well-appointed traffic light at the intersection of E. Austin St (which is also the San Marcos Hwy or TX-80), and Magnolia Ave (running N & S).

JL's speed approaching this intersection would be reduced from 55 MPH to 30 MPH. Multiple road signs at the intersection direct you to turn right on Magnolia Ave (equivalent to southbound on TX-80), to the I-10 interchange.

When at the intersection, JL would also have the choice to turn left (183 North), or cross the intersection and continue forward on E. Austin to a residential zone, not a highway. (His father seems to believe JL missed the turn and continued straight).

In my experience, I can see a driver taking two incorrect routes here that would lead to Salt Flat Road where the car was found crashed in the road ditch.

However, I believe following either one of these incorrect routes would immediately seem like a detour. IMO, even if the Queen was directing you via the app, instinctively, you'd know you were in the weeds and would stop and turn back towards the intersection.

For example, the incorrect routes leading to the crash site:

Possible wrong way #1:

11 min (5.0 miles) via Salt Flat Rd

From the San Marcos Hwy, continuing east on E Austin St toward N Magnolia Ave:

Continue straight to stay on E Austin St - 0.2 mi

Continue onto Spruce Ave - 0.5 mi

Continue onto Salt Flat Rd - 4.2 mi

End at the approx crash site: 2365 Salt Flat Rd - Luling, TX 78648

Crossing the intersection, staying straight on E. Austin, leads to a dark neighborhood/posted speed is 30 MPH. 700 block of E. Austin mainly consists of a corner church and a basketball court; the 800-900 blocks are residential homes. At the end of the 900 block of E. Austin St. is a stop sign where the road forks. It doesn't follow how anybody lost would go past this stop sign!
If veering left at the fork, this is Spruce Ave -- a narrow, dark road. 100, 200, 300 Spruce Ave only gets darker. Spruce Ave becomes Salt Flat Road. Nothing here to see in the darkness except for the cemetery and Superior Disposal before eventually reaching the crash site. (From the Magnolia Ave traffic light - about 11 mins or 5 miles).

Possible wrong way #2:

7 min (4.9 miles) via FM86 N

From San Marcos Hwy, continuing east on E Austin St toward N Magnolia Ave:

Turn left at the 1st cross street onto N Magnolia Ave - 0.8 mi

Turn right onto FM86 N - 3.3 mi

Turn right onto Pumper Rd - 0.4 mi

Turn left onto Salt Flat Rd - 0.4 mi

End at the approx crash site: 2365 Salt Flat Rd - Luling, TX 78648

Left at the traffic light (northbound on Magnolia Ave) would put JL on 183 -- a four-lane roadway with the posted speed of 45 MPH, later increasing to 55 MPH. Unlike wrong-way #1, this route is wide, paved, with safe shoulder and guard rails - looks like a typical TX highway.

A right turn at Napa Auto parts to FM 86 begins a paved, country lane with soft gravel shoulder, improving to grass before narrowing to guard rails with no shoulders, shortly before the Pumper Rd turn off. Pumper Road is a single, gravel lane road, with a posted speed at 30 MPH. A narrow culvert exists when approaching the stop sign at the Salt Flat Rd intersection. Left onto Salt Flat Road is more gravel. This area would be very dark after sunset.

IMO, neither of the wrong ways noted above even vaguely resemble the approach to I-10 in Luling. JL is a Texan and unless he was somehow driving impaired, he would know that he missed the turn long before arriving at Salt Lake Rd. (From the intersection, about 7 mins or 4.9 miles).

I'm not discounting that JL was being chased or somebody else was driving the vehicle. I hope JL is recovered soon. Prayers and strength for his family & friends.

MOO

Google Maps

Last edited:
I wish we knew if the cameras at all the big intersections from San Marco down, including the one at the intersection where he was supposed to turn right to I10 were working. They could tell so much.

Unfortunately, it appears that the camera visible on google maps at the intersection of E. Austin and Magnolia Ave (where JL allegedly missed the turn to the I-10 interchange), is a red-light camera. Reportedly, these cameras were banned in June 2019 by order of the Gov pursuant to House Bill 1631.

If no longer monitored, I'm not sure they are otherwise working. For the purpose of locating JL, it would indeed be a shame if not operating.

MOO

Gov. Greg Abbott signs red light camera ban into law

I'm a little confused with his route to get home. How many times has he driven this route? Why would you need the gps? Hopefully im not the only one, but even driving home from work in the dark, you are so use to the route and you zone..by the time you get home..im like i dont remember driving home, lol, make sense? How far is from school to home? So is this dark road a normal route to his home? Lots of questions. And when I post something here, it says post reply. Am i doing this right?

And when I post something here, it says post reply. Am i doing this right?

Yes. :) I think whoever created the site figures unless you're starting a brand new thread... you're replying to the conversation. But I agree with you because I also think of replying as replying TO someone, not just a thread. It would be clearer if it said 'Write your comment' in the body, and the button said 'Post comment', but hey! That's me. lol

Replying to someone specifically is done by clicking on the Reply button IN their thread which is different than replying to a thread, but not necessarily to a particular person. So yeah, it's not 100% clear although we all end up figuring it out. :p

If he missed the right hand turn at the intersection and went straight through the intersection, WAZE or Garmin or any other GPS would have immediately started trying to reroute him back the way he came. "Recalculating" is one of the most irritating comments. But, he continues, ignoring the GPS, until he is on a gravel road and instead of going slowly, looking for a place to do a u-turn or a driveway to turn around in, he is going a a high rate of speed so he spins out and hits a couple of trees broadside. Makes no sense to me. MOO MOO MOO
I just asked my son, who I mentioned on a previous post, lost WiFi while using Waze while delivering for Instacart...what he did about the loss of WiFi. He said he had to pull over and restart his phone. I’m not sure I would have thought to do that.

I just asked my son, who I mentioned on a previous post, lost WiFi while using Waze while delivering for Instacart...what he did about the loss of WiFi. He said he had to pull over and restart his phone. I’m not sure I would have thought to do that.
Car trouble could also have made him pull in to try sorting it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockDuck