TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if someone took him by gunpoint, had him empty his account with ATM card, and that person took his car and crashed it on the lonesome road? I've seen this on an episode of Dateline. It was really sad and they had the perp on ATM camera so they eventually caught him.
That has been my thought and worry too....or maybe he met someone for whatever reason and they took him or took his car....scary thoughts.....

I'm a little confused with his route to get home. How many times has he driven this route? Why would you need the gps? Hopefully im not the only one, but even driving home from work in the dark, you are so use to the route and you zone..by the time you get home..im like i dont remember driving home, lol, make sense? How far is from school to home? So is this dark road a normal route to his home? Lots of questions. And when I post something here, it says post reply. Am i doing this right?

He was driving from Texas State University in San Marcos to his parents' home in Houston, so it was at least a 3 hour drive.

What if someone took him by gunpoint, had him empty his account with ATM card, and that person took his car and crashed it on the lonesome road? I've seen this on an episode of Dateline. It was really sad and they had the perp on ATM camera so they eventually caught him.

I suppose anything could happen to anyone, but if I’m a bad guy wanting to score some ATM cash, I wouldn’t be targeting a kid in an old Nissan.

My best guess is he’s out there somewhere within walking distance from his car, his body obscured by vegetation.

I suppose anything could happen to anyone, but if I’m a bad guy wanting to score some ATM cash, I wouldn’t be targeting a kid in an old Nissan.

My best guess is he’s out there somewhere within walking distance from his car, his body obscured by vegetation.
Good point. But what if that kid in the old Nissan was got involved in some illegal dealings and the bad guy new he had a surplus of cash and they skipped the ATM?

We tend to start thinking of all remotely possible, if improbable theories in cases with so little info and a weird set of known circumstances...like this one. Anything is possible of course, but to me this feels like an accident, that he was alone and did not encounter anyone and that eventually he will be located within five miles of the crash...jmo.

We tend to start thinking of all remotely possible, if improbable theories in cases with so little info and a weird set of known circumstances...like this one. Anything is possible of course, but to me this feels like an accident, that he was alone and did not encounter anyone and that eventually he will be located within five miles of the crash...jmo.
I think I agree with this, based on all the information available from approved MSM sites.
I think he dropped that bag because he felt weakened after the crash and was unable to carry it any further.
But if this theory was a runner, I'm not sure he would have got much further without help..

<RSBM>
I think he dropped that bag because he felt weakened after the crash and was unable to carry it any further.
But if this theory was a runner, I'm not sure he would have got much further without help..

Maybe it started as one thing and ended as another.

Jason being the person who grabbed the backpack and carried it 100 yards makes sense to me. Maybe for the drugs, but maybe simply for the wallet and whatever might have been in there (a spare key or remote since he locked a key in there)? Maybe he would have taken his phone if he could have found it.

I think, though, that if he were too weak to carry it further, he’d be very close to the crash site — maybe too close to miss for this set of SAR.

I wonder if another car — maybe even the firefighter who reported the crash — came along shortly after the crash. He panicked and rushed to hide. I still don’t know why he would drop the backpack in the road vs chucking it as far as he could off-road in one direction and hiding in the other.

It’s a must story to be sure.

If he missed the right hand turn at the intersection and went straight through the intersection, WAZE or Garmin or any other GPS would have immediately started trying to reroute him back the way he came. "Recalculating" is one of the most irritating comments. But, he continues, ignoring the GPS, until he is on a gravel road and instead of going slowly, looking for a place to do a u-turn or a driveway to turn around in, he is going a a high rate of speed so he spins out and hits a couple of trees broadside. Makes no sense to me. MOO MOO MOO

It's not out of the possibility that JL wasn't purposely taking the sparsely traveled back roads IMO. Obviously until we are privy to the full truth and what narcotics along with the weight of the product we don't have any evidence to support a theory period. MOO

But I am aware of a joint police & sheriff departments in coordination with the TXDPS along the only way to access the DFW metroplex and further on that work HWY 287 South bound from Amarillo to Montague County, I-44 South bound from the Texas/Oklahoma State line to 287 S and Hwy 281 S. There is also the same coordination working the route from Oklahoma/Texas state line near Sherman, Texas that takes you to the DFW area and further.
This joint commission is what is called the DRUG INTERDICTION UNIT and they are notorious, no.. tortious..for making traffic stops that are iffy sometimes but it is always a K-9 officer that is working that sector. So many people have complained about the LEO stopping drivers bc they are out of the state of Texas tags. You wouldn't believe how much devil's lettuce is confiscated by the drug interdiction officers. They take possession of the vehicle, money, drugs and the driver forfeits his belongings bc of the trafficking of drugs and money laundering charges they are arrested for. The driver may refuse to give consent for the vehicle to be searched by LE but that's when TA DAA his partner back in his patrol unit comes out and performs an OPEN AIR SEARCH for drugs and get this spit! K-9's can alert on the scent of cash money! Crazy days I say but my point is this- MOO and all that jazz but another person's post last night or thread #1 remarked that there is a BUCEES ( spelling?) that JL would have eventually ended up at if he continued the length of Salt Flat Rd. Not sure if this was found to be the case but I can see a person who is traveling with illegal drugs of any kind CHOOSING to take the back roads way when possible. IMO

Am I the only one who believes it’s entirely possibly that he purposely turned on salt flat rd? Maybe he was looking for a backroad to smoke on with little worry of passing motorists and prying eyes. I love driving down dirt and gravel roads listening to music.

IMO Speculating wildly

Unfortunately, it appears that the camera visible on google maps at the intersection of E. Austin and Magnolia Ave (where JL allegedly missed the turn to the I-10 interchange), is a red-light camera. Reportedly, these cameras were banned in June 2019 by order of the Gov pursuant to House Bill 1631.

If no longer monitored, I'm not sure they are otherwise working. For the purpose of locating JL, it would indeed be a shame if not operating.

MOO

Gov. Greg Abbott signs red light camera ban into law
I was afraid someone would explain it that way. It seemed to good to be true that there could be camera evidence as to who was driving and if there was anyone else in the car.
When I took the Google Street walk down from San Marco, I did notice roadside businesses and one Texaco station that may have had cameras, I wonder if they were checked by LE.

It's not out of the possibility that JL wasn't purposely taking the sparsely traveled back roads IMO. Obviously until we are privy to the full truth and what narcotics along with the weight of the product we don't have any evidence to support a theory period. MOO

But I am aware of a joint police & sheriff departments in coordination with the TXDPS along the only way to access the DFW metroplex and further on that work HWY 287 South bound from Amarillo to Montague County, I-44 South bound from the Texas/Oklahoma State line to 287 S and Hwy 281 S. There is also the same coordination working the route from Oklahoma/Texas state line near Sherman, Texas that takes you to the DFW area and further.
This joint commission is what is called the DRUG INTERDICTION UNIT and they are notorious, no.. tortious..for making traffic stops that are iffy sometimes but it is always a K-9 officer that is working that sector. So many people have complained about the LEO stopping drivers bc they are out of the state of Texas tags. You wouldn't believe how much devil's lettuce is confiscated by the drug interdiction officers. They take possession of the vehicle, money, drugs and the driver forfeits his belongings bc of the trafficking of drugs and money laundering charges they are arrested for. The driver may refuse to give consent for the vehicle to be searched by LE but that's when TA DAA his partner back in his patrol unit comes out and performs an OPEN AIR SEARCH for drugs and get this spit! K-9's can alert on the scent of cash money! Crazy days I say but my point is this- MOO and all that jazz but another person's post last night or thread #1 remarked that there is a BUCEES ( spelling?) that JL would have eventually ended up at if he continued the length of Salt Flat Rd. Not sure if this was found to be the case but I can see a person who is traveling with illegal drugs of any kind CHOOSING to take the back roads way when possible. IMO
The problem is Salt Flat Rd. is a backroad that goes in the complete wrong direction to nowhere. It’s not a backroads shortcut to Houston in any way. It does not connect to any highway to Houston.
Also I think the Bucc-ees you’re talking about is actually on IH 10 if he had gone the correct way toward Houston, not Salt Flat Rd. Salt Flat Rd. really goes nowhere.

I just looked, and no, you must have an active internet connection for Waze to work. WiFi or cell.

How does Waze work? - Waze Help

“Waze was built assuming a data network connection would be present all, or at least most, of the time. For all aspects of Waze to operate, you must have an active data connection on your mobile device. This connection enriches Waze with real-time traffic-related information and ensures an up-to-date map. Without an internet connection, you won't be able to locate or navigate a route.

If you have an intermittent connection, Waze will try to get data from the servers for traffic alerts and hazards, but may not be able to give you reliable information. Additionally, if Waze doesn't have a connection back to the Waze servers, you will not be able to post hazards. Waze does not cache reports or map issues to send later.”
That's not an entirely accurate interpretation of how Waze works.
You can't plan a trip or get updated traffic/hazard information without an active internet connection. However, if you have started a trip and encounter an area with no cell service the navigation aspect can continue to function without an internet connection.
When I used to travel to my camper in West Virginia there was a significant part of the route after I left the main highway where I would go in and out of cell coverage. Waze continued to track my progress on the route when cell service wasn't present.

That's not an entirely accurate interpretation of how Waze works.
You can't plan a trip or get updated traffic/hazard information without an active internet connection. However, if you have started a trip and encounter an area with no cell service the navigation aspect can continue to function without an internet connection.
When I used to travel to my camper in West Virginia there was a significant part of the route after I left the main highway where I would go in and out of cell coverage. Waze continued to track my progress on the route when cell service wasn't present.
Ah that’s good to know. The Waze help that I posted does address intermittent coverage and that the info just may not be as reliable.

I’m not so convinced he was really using Waze for actual directions though b/c as others have posted, it’s a really easy, direct route. Not difficult at all even if he had only done the drive a couple of times. (Which he would have at least twice since he moved there and went home for Thanksgiving). Maybe he used it for accident, cops and road info but probably not needed for directions. IMO

I guess I'm still wondering how he could have walked so far in the dark? As someone has already mentioned it was a new moon that night, so very dark. On google maps, it looks like there are barb-wired fences he would have to climb over to get to the fields. I'm leaning towards either foul play of some sort, but it's hard to say with the limited amount of information we have. It's such a mystery. I still hope he's still alive somewhere!

I didn't know this until recently (and never really thought about it honestly), I can tell Siri to turn on the flashlight on my phone. That would be good to know if you lose it in your vehicle after an accident and it's dark. Of course, if one is disoriented after an accident, it may not be the first think that comes to mind.

Happy New Year 2021 everyone!

If he'd been a young woman, I think suspicion would be running along the lines of someone hitting her to run her off of the road and/or an abduction... and the car being dumped in the middle of nowhere. I'm wondering if he was pursued, ran off the road in a remote area and taken. If so, what singled him out? I don't think someone else drove the car to wreck it. My guess is he was pursued, lost control and possibly tried to run from someone, dropping belongings in the process. I think LE know more than they are releasing.
Texas State student from Missouri City missing after car found totaled, abandoned

Family, friends and law enforcement officers from several agencies are searching for 21-year-old Texas State University student Jason Landry from Missouri City after his totaled and abandoned sedan was found near the college.

Landry left from Texas State to home for the Christmas break Sunday night. A passerby found his crashed-out car along Salt Flat Road around midnight, 30 miles from campus, and alerted police.

His wallet, phone and other belongings were left inside the Nissan Altima, his mother said.

The link includes a video of the news report. It shows Landry’s wrecked vehicle. Is it possible he was thrown from the car as he wrecked?
Anyone else wondering about the odds of a passerby coming along at midnight on a Sunday on a desolate, gravel road? How well traveled is that road and is it only traveled by locals? Is it a cut-through for people getting off the night shift at a plant somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warden2024