TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While anything is possible I'm curious what you think could have happened if there had been a hitchhiker in his car. He certainly didn't carry Jason off piggyback. Do you think he called someone for them both to be picked up? Or some other theory?

LOL. You are funny. Who said Jason was at the scene of the crash? So far, I've read nothing to show me that it was Jason who left the car where it was found. People dump cars all the time after they have done something to the driver of the vehicle.

A couple of weeks ago I posted 2 theories... today, with the new info that is coming forward and after mulling this over again I wanted to add to those thoughts.

1. Now, I'm not convinced he was headed home for Christmas. I think that was an assumption ... while he may have had some clothes with him... was it like he packed? Or just threw in an extra pair of jeans and a couple of shirts? I'm leaning towards ... he ran to Luling for a buy. Then cruised for a smoke. Or went down that road for the buy. quite possibly at the abandoned house depending on what he was buying. Weed? Probably not. Meth? A great possibility.

2. I think he was driving late because it's possible he was working in San Marcos at that restaurant and just got off his shift. If anyone is on this thread and lives in San Marcos that's easy to find out. You'll have a friend who knows someone who works there ..... 6 degrees of separation works well when you're sleuthing.

3. Backpacks are carried a LOT by college aged kids and young adults. My oldest son is in his 40's and never lost the habit. He still carries one. And instinctively ....if they're going anywhere....they'll grab their backpack.

4. And I'm leaning now more towards ... he was cruising for a hit or smoke.... wrecked, was walking back towards Luling for help and was hit by someone who panicked and took his body to dispose of at a different location. The force from being hit could be enough to throw that backpack a distance....and whoever hit him was too distracted to even think of looking for it ... quite possibly didn't know he was carrying one. If he was high enough, wearing dark clothes and perhaps stepped in front of the car to flag it down...this could easily happen.

Still watching this case closely. Hoping it is resolved soon so the parents can put him.....and this..... to rest. It has to be agony.

Can someone point me to the police report? I have been searching but can’t find it.

I don't think it has been posted here. At least, I don't remember seeing it.

Sixteen days after JL crashed his car and vanished, Fox-7 obtained the document as shown during the broadcast at the link below. However, it was Reporter M. Austin that appeared live on evening news prior to this broadcast reading from the report when she was first to report the pack and contents found on the road -- 100 feet south and the crash location.

Backpack filled with narcotics found near missing man's car

See the link below for screenshot of the DPS report from the broadcast:

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

ETA: While it was reported earlier by MSM that JL's clothes were also located outside of the vehicle, this info does not appear in the DPS report. I believe the reported clothes were probably found by searchers.

Jinx @diggndeeperstill !

Last edited:
LOL. You are funny. Who said Jason was at the scene of the crash? So far, I've read nothing to show me that it was Jason who left the car where it was found. People dump cars all the time after they have done something to the driver of the vehicle.

OIC. Thanks for the response! I had it in my mind when you've picked up a hitchhiker you'd still be driving your car. Silly me for being short-sighted there! lol :p

If your slant is indeed true... Jason could be nowhere near the crash scene or the area searched. I think all the folks that brought up cameras along the way are really onto something. It would be nice to see if he was still driving the car, and if he was alone, and where he was last seen alone (or with a passenger).

I just finished reading YELP reviews on The Retreat Apartments where he lived and it re-enforces my thought that what happened may have had its roots there before he left for home, if that was even his destination that night.
Did he leave The Retreat alone?

<RSBM>
ETA: While it was reported earlier by MSM that JL's clothes were also located outside of the vehicle, this info does not appear in the DPS report. I believe the reported clothes were probably found by searchers.

I wish we knew a little more on this.

Where were the clothes in relation to the car?

Were they confirmed to be Jason’s clothes?

The accident doesn’t seem to have ejected anything in the car, so any of Jason’s clothing outside of the car / away from the accident scene would have been taken by someone out of the car (or off him, if it was clothing he was wearing).

I was thinking perhaps the clothing was in the backpack, but I would think that would have been mentioned if it were the case.

The problem is Salt Flat Rd. is a backroad that goes in the cocomplete wrong direction to nowhere. It’s not a backroads shortcut to Houston in any way. It does not connect to any highway to Houston.
Also I think the Bucc-ees you’re talking about is actually on IH 10 if he had gone the correct way toward Houston, not Salt Flat Rd. Salt Flat Rd. really goes nowhere.
I just drove by the Buccee's yesterday on the way to Houston. IMO there is no way he just "missed a turn" to get on IH10 unless he was impaired. You can't miss it, I don't care how dark it is. It if wasn't for terrible weather yesterday I would have checked out Salt Flat Rd.

Just putting this out there. Several have suggested the possibility that he was the victim of a hit and run. Can anyone tell me one good reason a driver would pick up someone they hit and take the body somewhere else? I think most anyone who wouldn't do the right thing, and report the accident, would take off down that dark road as fast as possible, trusting no one would ever know! Please enlighten me.

I just drove by the Buccee's yesterday on the way to Houston. IMO there is no way he just "missed a turn" to get on IH10 unless he was impaired. You can't miss it, I don't care how dark it is. It if wasn't for terrible weather yesterday I would have checked out Salt Flat Rd.
Agree and thanks for sharing @Mary Ingalls.

Signage directing motorist to turn right (at light/intersection) can be seen at about the 33-second mark of news video linked below.

Backpack filled with narcotics found near missing man's car

I wish we knew a little more on this.

Where were the clothes in relation to the car?

Were they confirmed to be Jason’s clothes?

The accident doesn’t seem to have ejected anything in the car, so any of Jason’s clothing outside of the car / away from the accident scene would have been taken by someone out of the car (or off him, if it was clothing he was wearing).

I was thinking perhaps the clothing was in the backpack, but I would think that would have been mentioned if it were the case.

This is the best we have about the clothing:

Search continues for missing Texas State student

12/15/2020

[..]

It’s easy to miss where Jason’s car left the gravel road. It ended up in a ditch along a fence and tree line. Some of his clothing however was found near the scene along the roadway.

“We know he got out of the crash OK, and was walking back, this way, and that’s the last we know for sure,” said Kent Landry.

[..]

“Right now we have no indication of any foul play at all, we don’t know if maybe somebody picked him up or if he just wandered to an area where we haven’t searched or found yet,” said DPS Sgt Deon Cockrell.

The car was towed to a holding lot in Luling. Investigators say the damage does not indicate Jason was intentionally forced off the road. Inside they did find small traces of blood and personal items including Jason’s phone.

Just putting this out there. Several have suggested the possibility that he was the victim of a hit and run. Can anyone tell me one good reason a driver would pick up someone they hit and take the body somewhere else? I think most anyone who wouldn't do the right thing, and report the accident, would take off down that dark road as fast as possible, trusting no one would ever know! Please enlighten me.
There would be no reason to stop and put a body in the car on that road. No people, businesses, cameras. Nothing. Just high tail it out of there and no one would know.

This is the best we have about the clothing:

Search continues for missing Texas State student

12/15/2020

[..]

It’s easy to miss where Jason’s car left the gravel road. It ended up in a ditch along a fence and tree line. Some of his clothing however was found near the scene along the roadway.

“We know he got out of the crash OK, and was walking back, this way, and that’s the last we know for sure,” said Kent Landry.

[..]

“Right now we have no indication of any foul play at all, we don’t know if maybe somebody picked him up or if he just wandered to an area where we haven’t searched or found yet,” said DPS Sgt Deon Cockrell.

The car was towed to a holding lot in Luling. Investigators say the damage does not indicate Jason was intentionally forced off the road. Inside they did find small traces of blood and personal items including Jason’s phone.
How do LE/father "KNOW that HE got out of the crash and HE was walking back" (the capitals are for emphasis, I am not yelling).

Easy.

Panic.

Fear of leaving evidence if you leave the body....

Knowing if you stop and call for help explaining it was an accident that you will be fully investigated and your life in the meantime will be hell..... could loose a job or licenses, have to hire an atty and in the meantime and because of it become essentially bankrupt ..... and that the investigation piece would follow you forever even if it was eventually found it was an accident. People only remember the beginning of the story, not the end.

Could have hit him, driven a mile +/- thinking "Oh shoot" then went back....

Agreed -- a lot of people would call LE and stay until they arrived.... others, not so much.

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member