TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this thing on the back seat?

Gosh, I have to say, the impact looks so bad. That huge tree-shaped imprint on the rear left. Ouch.

I wondered about that too... no idea!

I wondered the same thing about what that was on the back seat. I even leaned forward to try to see better but gave up.

Is it a canteen? Do I see a chain?

JMO

I think the smashed black item that looks to have a bracket might be part of the internal rear fender wreckage, maybe part of the housing where the taillights go.

Assuming that the report of the clothing being 900 feet SOUTH of the accident scene is still accurate (hasn't been contradicted or updated), here's an annotated map.

900 ft away was measured with Google.

The blue marker south of the green box was where Lulingresident6 had marked the location of the search HQ.

I am looking to mark the spot on Google maps to virtually drive it. Is this it? Google Maps

Brilliant, thank you @SimplyCass.

Do you think you can add the Cemetery on SFR in relation to the crash site? Thanks again.

Thanks. What cemetery are we talking about? Can I have the GPS coordinates or address?

I am looking to mark the spot on Google maps to virtually drive it. Is this it? Google Maps

Because I prefer to be as precise as possible, here are the coordinates I used:

29.7471361, -97.61138
Accident site

29.74476, -97.61187
900 feet south of that accident location.

Last edited:
I found this 6/6/2020 article from KSAT.com:

"An Austin man who fired more than 50 rounds at two teens on a Caldwell County Road Tuesday told police he was being chased by aliens, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Caldwell Co. Sheriffs Office received a 911 call around 6:08 on Tuesday about two victims down.

Deputies with CCSO identified 18 year old Klayton Manning, a volunteer firefighter for the Southwest Caldwell County Volunteer Fire Department, while Lockhart EMS identified the other victim as 16 year old Landin Robinson. ...

Bryan Haynes, 34, was arrested Thursday after he told family members in Austin that "he was being chased by aliens in an ATV with Fire Department decals", the affidavit states.

The teens, who are cousins, were riding a Fire Department ATV near the 4400 block of Tenney Creek Rd near Tilmon when they encountered Haynes, who told his family members that he shot the two aliens that he described as firefighters with his gun, and emptied two 17 round magazines and two 10 round magazines into the aliens.

Investigators indicated more than 50 9mm cartridge casings were fired at the scene.

Haynes allegedly told family members Tuesday evening that the aliens wouldn't die and he had to shoot them in the middle of the head area to make sure they would die.

Haynes is in the Caldwell County Jail. His bond is set at $500,000."

From Google Earth it appears that the location of JL's car crash and the location of the ATV shootings (just to the East) are less than 5 miles apart (which is pretty close when you consider that there is just not much out there). The article seems to indicate that BH was from Austin, but what was he doing out there even back in June - in the middle of nowhere, near Tilmon, about 10 miles NNE of Luling?

$500,000 is a lot of money, but could the suspect in the ATV shootings have somehow been out on bond and back in the same area around the time of JL's disappearance? The two incidents are probably totally unrelated, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Looks as if Jason’s car has been sold off to auction. Here is the link, with photos of the interior of his car as well.
https://www.carstrucksandboats.com/inventory/details/d1d94152-afea-4de7-8ab7-fe2a1b9ded5f
Internet Auction
Hmm so Jason had half a tank of gas. IF he had stopped at Valero as some were wondering, it wasn’t for gas IMO. Also, I’m curious what the wrapper on the back passenger floor is. Looks like packaging for a single dose of OTC medication. Like travel size Advil or caffeine pills just for example. I wonder if him taking something innocent like that could’ve caused an unexpected interaction with anything else he may have consumed that night. Sometimes, two seemingly innocent things when taken together suddenly aren’t so harmless. For the record, some “fun” drugs come like that but I’m sure LE would’ve noticed if that was the case.

I just want to say it's devastating to see his car being sold to auction, especially since it includes what looks like some of Jason's trash still in it. :(

I don't think there is going to be anyone else involved, but could he have met someone through gaming, that he decided to stop and meet in person? Interesting take on his gas tank only being half full, even though he stopped for gas. On the other hand, when I was in college, I couldn't afford to fill up my tank when I stopped for gas. Only like 10 bucks or so at a time.

I just want to say it's devastating to see his car being sold to auction, especially since it includes what looks like some of Jason's trash still in it. :(

I don't think there is going to be anyone else involved, but could he have met someone through gaming, that he decided to stop and meet in person? Interesting take on his gas tank only being half full, even though he stopped for gas. On the other hand, when I was in college, I couldn't afford to fill up my tank when I stopped for gas. Only like 10 bucks or so at a time.
Just to clarify, we don’t know that he stopped for gas. Some on here have just speculated/wondered about that and the scenarios it could open up, so I thought I’d mention the tank.

Thanks. What cemetery are we talking about? Can I have the GPS coordinates or address?

I know how to google drive to the cemetery and can give you the street view link but can't determine the coordinates or the address. I'll try to using the Co Rd 128 location (also known as SFR) for the street view link below and maybe somebody can extract the exact coordinates from my google link.

If you follow this road past the cemetery northbound, you'll get to the crash site. If you go south, you'll reach Spruce, E Austin, and soon reach the traffic light at E. Austin & Magnolia where JL phone last dropped a pin.

Google Maps

Last edited:
I know how to google drive to the cemetery and can give you the street view link but can't determine the coordinates or the address. I'll try to using the Co Rd 128 location (also known as SFR) for the street view link below and maybe somebody can extract the exact coordinates from my google link.

If you follow this road past the cemetery northbound, you'll get to the crash site. If you go south, you'll reach Spruce, E Austin, and soon reach the traffic light at E. Austin & Magnolia where JL phone last dropped a pin.

Google Maps
Great map, thank you @Seattle1
any way to figure exact distance or distance from where lights can be first seen coming from accident site?

Google Maps
The pictures shows the gates open. Do you think he could have gotten in if the gates were closed and with no clothes or shoes, going over the fence would be difficult and painful.

The pictures shows the gates open. Do you think he could have gotten in if the gates were closed and with no clothes or shoes, going over the fence would be difficult and painful.
Actually, if you move either north or south along the road, you'll see there are several entrances where it does not appear the gates are in good repair. Also, the fence north of the entrance first in view is a short rail fence and looks to me to be an easy scale for a 6+ foot male. The fact that JL left on foot (minus shoes and clothes) and was not recovered near the crash site leads me to believe that he was probably not experiencing and/or was unaware of body pain.

Google Maps

This is a quick version; I need to go to bed.

Attachments

• cemetery-crash.png
    cemetery-crash.png
    485.5 KB · Views: 71
Looks as if Jason’s car has been sold off to auction. Here is the link, with photos of the interior of his car as well.
https://www.carstrucksandboats.com/inventory/details/d1d94152-afea-4de7-8ab7-fe2a1b9ded5f
Internet Auction

im not familiar with LE procedure in these cases, is this normal? Is LE or family selling the car? You would think since this case is still active, they would hold onto their best piece of evidence.
One of three possibilities:
1) The insurance company settled the claim on the car (assuming they had collision coverage) and is auctioning it for salvage. This is a normal course of action with an insured loss.
2) There was no insurance and Jason's family donated the car to be auctioned to reduce storage costs.
3) There was no insurance and the car was signed over to the tow company (as a credit against towing and storage fees) and the tow company sent it to auction.
Whichever of the three cases, it is all perfectly normal for a car totaled in an accident where no crime requires the PD to hold the car for evidence.
The buyer of the car at auction can either salvage for parts or decide to rebuild the car (not likely in this case) and apply for a reconstructed title with the state.

Really nice find. Really really odd. Maybe his last interactions yield more info than we are aware but still....even if, something amiss could have happened and I wouldn’t want to get rid of potential evidence.

And, looking at the pictures I have to say I was always curious about those scratches on the driver side door. They looked odd to me. In fact I had wondered if it was possible they were from a propane tank I had noticed nearby. What I noticed is that they’re white. And they are the only thing that did not rust on the car. Does that mean it’s paint and not deep like the other scratches? If so how can that be?

Here is a close-up of what I’m talking about from the link in my quote.

View attachment 282664
It looks like something white transferred paint to the car (rather than scraping paint away from the car). There is no bare metal so no rust. This could have been known (to his parents) pre-existing damage possibly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member