TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the S&R dog handlers and or LEO knew that there is the possibility of the scent dogs becoming nose blind due to oil field odors why were any of the dogs brought out there? Surely the highly trained handlers we're taught that the odds of their dogs becoming affected by the odor were highly probable. Isn't that a huge chunk of time and manpower wasted? Especially with the attention to detail it requires to drain the water from the pond?

If the S&R dog handlers and or LEO knew that there is the possibility of the scent dogs becoming nose blind due to oil field odors why were any of the dogs brought out there? Surely the highly trained handlers we're taught that the odds of their dogs becoming affected by the odor were highly probable. Isn't that a huge chunk of time and manpower wasted? Especially with the attention to detail it requires to drain the water from the pond?
Good point. But at the same time dogs sense of smell is so strong that I think that it can compensate for the other smells around. For example in a natural disaster where other chemicals are spilled or released into the surrounding air and may interfere yet the dogs are used.

Good point. But at the same time dogs sense of smell is so strong that I think that it can compensate for the other smells around. For example in a natural disaster where other chemicals are spilled or released into the surrounding air and may interfere yet the dogs are used.

I think if you haven't been on that road, you won't understand how overwhelming the odor is. The best plan would be to use local dogs, but it doesn't seem there would be that many in that small town.

I think if you haven't been on that road, you won't understand how overwhelming the odor is. The best plan would be to use local dogs, but it doesn't seem there would be that many in that small town.
Well, dogs from similar areas can also be used so that helps in that sense. Plus in natural disasters SAR wouldn't know where a spill may be. That has to be commended on SAR's part because they are putting themselves in danger. What an amazing and wonderful job they do.

I know this area is quite a way from Luling Texas, but I was reading about an area called the Permian Basin where all these 'zombie' oil wells dot the landscape. Many are deteriorating, collapsing and forming ponds of water and oil that have been deep enough to swallow a two story building. I checked to see if those types of wells are in Caldwell county.

I also found the term 'orphan' wells which sounds the same as 'zombie' wells. If there is a difference please clarify. So if there are zombie/orphan wells in Caldwell county that look like surface ponds of oil, would LE investigate them, too? I know they drained a couple of ponds that sounded like traditional natural water ponds.

Here's a link to orphan wells in Texas.

https://www.edf.org/sites/default/files/2021-10/Orphan Well FactSheet TX.pdf

Attachments

I know this area is quite a way from Luling Texas, but I was reading about an area called the Permian Basin where all these 'zombie' oil wells dot the landscape. Many are deteriorating, collapsing and forming ponds of water and oil that have been deep enough to swallow a two story building. I checked to see if those types of wells are in Caldwell county.

I also found the term 'orphan' wells which sounds the same as 'zombie' wells. If there is a difference please clarify. So if there are zombie/orphan wells in Caldwell county that look like surface ponds of oil, would LE investigate them, too? I know they drained a couple of ponds that sounded like traditional natural water ponds.

Here's a link to orphan wells in Texas.

https://www.edf.org/sites/default/files/2021-10/Orphan Well FactSheet TX.pdf
From his interviews, it seems to me that KL (father) has received private assurance of owners surveying their properties for any trace of JL. I also recall I think by early summer all wells will have been drained in the course of normal maintenance since JL reported missing. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
What Happened to Jason Landry? Former FBI agent offers alternate theory as Texas Attorney General agrees to reopen case

“Maybe it just makes you feel better to blame it all on Jason,” said Jason’s father, Pastor Kent Landry, in a recent interview.

Kent is not alone in his belief that the case has been “under-investigated.”

A former FBI agent, based in San Antonio, by the name of Abel Peña, who founded Project Absentis, also believes the same thing.

Peña and his team of private investigators are working on the Landry case Pro-Bono.

“If you go down that road, in believing that nothing happened to Jason Landry, then you’re not going down that road of talking to people,” Peña said.

Peña has forwarded a list of 10 people to the Caldwell County District Attorney, people he believes may have knowledge or provide clues into what happened to Jason.

What Happened to Jason Landry? Former FBI agent offers alternate theory as Texas Attorney General agrees to reopen case

“Maybe it just makes you feel better to blame it all on Jason,” said Jason’s father, Pastor Kent Landry, in a recent interview.

Kent is not alone in his belief that the case has been “under-investigated.”

A former FBI agent, based in San Antonio, by the name of Abel Peña, who founded Project Absentis, also believes the same thing.

Peña and his team of private investigators are working on the Landry case Pro-Bono.

“If you go down that road, in believing that nothing happened to Jason Landry, then you’re not going down that road of talking to people,” Peña said.

Peña has forwarded a list of 10 people to the Caldwell County District Attorney, people he believes may have knowledge or provide clues into what happened to Jason.
Wow. 10 people? I hope this sets a fire under their... chairs. ;)

Hard to believe it's taken over a year to get to this point. I hope those 10 people can shed some light on what happened and help find Jason!

rsbm
“There is no evidence of a crime,” Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office Captain, Jeff Ferry, said during a recent interview with KPRC2 Investigates.

It’s because of that that the sheriff’s office does not plan to process the other DNA evidence obtained from Landry’s car.
----------------

Hold it, wait. What "other DNA evidence" is this referring to?

rsbm
“There is no evidence of a crime,” Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office Captain, Jeff Ferry, said during a recent interview with KPRC2 Investigates.

It’s because of that that the sheriff’s office does not plan to process the other DNA evidence obtained from Landry’s car.
----------------

I guess my question is... when did they obtain DNA from his car? In the split second between finding the abandoned car and having it towed away lickety split?? :confused: Who has said DNA? I hope Abel Pena can get his hands on it. Not sure what that would take for him to obtain it though.

rsbm

----------------

Well this seems backwards. How on earth can someone state there’s “no evidence of a crime” without analyzing the evidence? o_O
I’m still not sure a crime occurred, but I’m very sure that LE dropped the ball horribly on this investigation and can’t admit it.

From his interviews, it seems to me that KL (father) has received private assurance of owners surveying their properties for any trace of JL. I also recall I think by early summer all wells will have been drained in the course of normal maintenance since JL reported missing. MOO
Hopefully they find him or something relating to Jason.

rsbm

----------------

Well I am assuming people who were identified by LE at the car would be eliminated. Such as the tow truck driver, family perhaps even some friends. So who else could it be? Strangers? Probably strangers. Why go near a car wreck and not report it? MOO. Just speculating.

Well I am assuming people who were identified by LE at the car would be eliminated. Such as the tow truck driver, family perhaps even some friends. So who else could it be? Strangers? Probably strangers. Why go near a car wreck and not report it? MOO. Just speculating.
I seriously doubt that more than the firefighter drove Salt Flat Road at that hour. He not only reported the abandoned vehicle but waited for the Patrol to arrive. We've seen the 60-minute dash-cam until the tow truck left with the crashed car and there was no traffic. The links are all posted. MOO

I seriously doubt that more than the firefighter drove Salt Flat Road at that hour. He not only reported the abandoned vehicle but waited for the Patrol to arrive. We've seen the 60-minute dash-cam until the tow truck left with the crashed car and there was no traffic. The links are all posted. MOO
Actually it's believed that an oil field worker drove by ~1 hr before the firefighter and said that he did not see a thing. One source of that at the bottom of this post.

Also, this was discussed shortly after it happened (January 2021). Here's a link to the websleuths convo about that: TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Search continues for missing Texas State student

Actually it's believed that an oil field worker drove by ~1 hr before the firefighter and said that he did not see a thing.

Well, he said that....but who knows if he's telling the truth? I like to think he is though.

But.... sometimes it's easier to say you saw nothing than to get involved with something. Depending on what that 'something' is.

But if it wasn't the fireman and it wasn't the oil field worker, then the only other option is someone who arranged to meet, or followed, Jason down there.

If Jason crashed within about 15 minutes of his missed turn, perhaps he was sitting in his vehicle, lights off, considering his situation. Could his car have gone unnoticed by the first driver?

Perhaps he didn't feel he needed rescuing.

Jason might've turned the lights off, then on again.

It's hard to fathom, but that may have felt like some kind of sign. He got out, he left the car, his fish, his clothes, and may have felt like he was free of whatever constraints he may have felt. Not injured, not cold -- feeling neither -- he may have chosen a direction and began to run....

He could've been most of an hour away before the volunteer firefighter found his car.

Whatever fate befell him then, I don't dare imagine. Burrowed into the landscape, inside or outside the search area.

I wonder where Jason would be today if he had made the turn.

No missed turn should be so costly.

Metaphor or not.

JMO

Well, he said that....but who knows if he's telling the truth? I like to think he is though.

But.... sometimes it's easier to say you saw nothing than to get involved with something. Depending on what that 'something' is.

But if it wasn't the fireman and it wasn't the oil field worker, then the only other option is someone who arranged to meet, or followed, Jason down there.
I'm 200% with you on all your points. :cool:

If Jason crashed within about 15 minutes of his missed turn, perhaps he was sitting in his vehicle, lights off, considering his situation. Could his car have gone unnoticed by the first driver?

Perhaps he didn't feel he needed rescuing.

Jason might've turned the lights off, then on again.

It's hard to fathom, but that may have felt like some kind of sign. He got out, he left the car, his fish, his clothes, and may have felt like he was free of whatever constraints he may have felt. Not injured, not cold -- feeling neither -- he may have chosen a direction and began to run....

He could've been most of an hour away before the volunteer firefighter found his car.

Whatever fate befell him then, I don't dare imagine. Burrowed into the landscape, inside or outside the search area.

I wonder where Jason would be today if he had made the turn.

No missed turn should be so costly.

Metaphor or not.

JMO

This is a minor point, but he took his fish with him. To me, that shows clear intent to find safety quickly. He wasn't intending at first to flee into the great wild unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member