TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She might have entered illegally as a child or perhaps she is from Canada. She could have lived here for sometime and lost whatever accent she had. Since she was changing her identity, she might have worked at losing an accent.

JMHO she would retain discernible characteristic speech patterns, at least when stressed.

I expect that the Labor & Delivery nurses heard a regional accent....

JMHO she would retain discernible characteristic speech patterns, at least when stressed.

I expect that the Labor & Delivery nurses heard a regional accent....
That is possible. We talked a few pages ago about if there was some recording of her voice. Somebody might spot something in her accent, the family did not recognize as a regional trait.

She might have entered illegally as a child or perhaps she is from Canada. She could have lived here for sometime and lost whatever accent she had. Since she was changing her identity, she might have worked at losing an accent.

I was once at a Boots pharmacy while in England. The clerk asked if she could help me and I said, "no, I am good.... thanks."
She then says "oh what part are you from?"
Me: "Oh, I am not from the States...."
Her: "No, I can tell by your accent that you're from Canada. My husband and I traveled there once."
LOL I was in shock, because I never thought we have accents compared to Americans. The lady said that to her we sound "dainty Irish" (whatever that means).

Also! When I did that regional online test the other day, it was bang on.

I was once at a Boots pharmacy while in England. The clerk asked if she could help me and I said, "no, I am good.... thanks."
She then says "oh what part are you from?"
Me: "Oh, I am not from the States...."
Her: "No, I can tell by your accent that you're from Canada. My husband and I traveled there once."
LOL I was in shock, because I never thought we have accents compared to Americans. The lady said that to her we sound "dainty Irish" (whatever that means).

Also! When I did that regional online test the other day, it was bang on.

I can spot you when you say Process. LOL. Then there is the word about. and of course Z zed

- FLEK appears to have used the alias Lori Kennedy prior to moving to Texas, while still living in Caifornia. If I've got the right gal, she appears to be labeled with that name in a photo in a 1973 junior high yearbook. (She is also ten years older than that 1969 birthdate if my digging is correct; born in 1959.) Three years later FLEK's class (now 11th grade) again has a group photo, but if it's her in that photo, she has an entirely different given name and surname...though I'm not as firm on if it's her since the group photo is too dark to see clearly. However, the genealogy site seems convinced these two same-age, same schooled gals are related when searching for hints under "Lori Kennedy."

Sorry for the length!

*snipped by me

Welcome, from a fellow genealogist!

If the Lori Kennedy you are talking about is from Dale Jr High in Anaheim, I know which one you mean. The group photo is alphabetical so there is no matching of names to faces. There is a tall girl in a white long sleeve shirt that resembles FLEK. Her name doesn't come up as having a portrait in that yearbook when you search Ancestry but that is because of the formatting of names in the year book--they are first name above last. If you scroll to page 71 in that same yearbook you will see a portrait picture of the Lori Kennedy from that school. IMO she does not resemble FLEK, nor does she look like the tall girl in the group photo.

Ben Perkins was providing legal assistance of some sort to the Good Shepherd Center Paralegal Clinic. Good Shepherd was a domestic violence shelter in Los Angeles and they opened this paralegal clinic in 1980.
attachment.php

http://www.goodshepherdshelter.org/our-story/

Milkymama, would you please add this newspaper clipping to the Ben Perkins thread so it doesn't get lost? Thank you!

Maybe this has been discussed here over the years, but how do you think she got around before Texas? We know she only got an Idaho ID in 1988, then later a TX DL with her new identity. I got to thinking about a bus. If she took a bus from Boise to say Phoenix or perhaps Dallas, i think back then she might have gone over Hoover Dam, in the city of Boulder City, NV. I just checked a modern route on greyhound and it appears it goes to las vegas then crosses the colorado river (lake mead) over the new bridge but use to be the dam heading for flagstaff then south to Phoenix. You know how busses hit every town and crossroad before you get to where you are going. A 10 hr drive takes a day or two.

I think one article says she had her mail forwarded to Dallas from the Boulder City mailbox. Does anyone know what mailbox store she used in Boulder City? I found one that opened in 1976 less than a mile from the current greyhound station. All these years later, not sure all this matters. But just made me wonder.

*snipped by me

Welcome, from a fellow genealogist!

If the Lori Kennedy you are talking about is from Dale Jr High in Anaheim, I know which one you mean. The group photo is alphabetical so there is no matching of names to faces. There is a tall girl in a white long sleeve shirt that resembles FLEK. Her name doesn't come up as having a portrait in that yearbook when you search Ancestry but that is because of the formatting of names in the year book--they are first name above last. If you scroll to page 71 in that same yearbook you will see a portrait picture of the Lori Kennedy from that school. IMO she does not resemble FLEK, nor does she look like the tall girl in the group photo.

PinM may be looking a LDK 1962. The story is a match for FLEK. Same towns as Howders. Mother "Searcy" in Inglewood. Father PO Box in Pittsburg CA. Sister "Sandra L.". Hard to track! Little brother with second wife, Fred Jr.. Looks like the girls may have stayed with Father.

Maybe this has been discussed here over the years, but how do you think she got around before Texas? We know she only got an Idaho ID in 1988, then later a TX DL with her new identity. I got to thinking about a bus. If she took a bus from Boise to say Phoenix or perhaps Dallas, i think back then she might have gone over Hoover Dam, in the city of Boulder City, NV. I just checked a modern route on greyhound and it appears it goes to las vegas then crosses the colorado river (lake mead) over the new bridge but use to be the dam heading for flagstaff then south to Phoenix. You know how busses hit every town and crossroad before you get to where you are going. A 10 hr drive takes a day or two.

I think one article says she had her mail forwarded to Dallas from the Boulder City mailbox. Does anyone know what mailbox store she used in Boulder City? I found one that opened in 1976 less than a mile from the current greyhound station. All these years later, not sure all this matters. But just made me wonder.

I think she either took the bus or she traveled with someone. Back then she might have even hitchhiked. One thing I found interesting is we are told she had a PO box in Boulder city, NV but we are not told the box number she used. Has anyone found this address in the available online records? Was it in the name of BST or LEK? I looked and couldn't find it. We don't even know the exact years she had this PO box from what I can tell. The timeline just says she had it in the late 80's. Why is this detail so vague? I believe we got the detail about the PO box from Velling's interview. I'm curious to know where HE found that address. Is there another document that list this PO box somewhere and we just don't have it? Anyone know?

ETA: the reason I would like to know the box number is the way forwarding used to work--you filled out a forward form for one name and the post office forwards all the mail addressed to that box, regardless of the name on the mail. So she might have used this box as a go-between for receiving mail in her real name for a time.

I think she either took the bus or she traveled with someone. Back then she might have even hitchhiked. One thing I found interesting is we are told she had a PO box in Boulder city, NV but we are not told the box number she used. Has anyone found this address in the available online records? Was it in the name of BST or LEK? I looked and couldn't find it. We don't even know the exact years she had this PO box from what I can tell. The timeline just says she had it in the late 80's. Why is this detail so vague? I believe we got the detail about the PO box from Velling's interview. I'm curious to know where HE found that address. Is there another document that list this PO box somewhere and we just don't have it? Anyone know?

ETA: the reason I would like to know the box number is the way forwarding used to work--you filled out a forward form for one name and the post office forwards all the mail addressed to that box, regardless of the name on the mail. So she might have used this box as a go-between for receiving mail in her real name for a time.

That might be how he found it. I am not sure if you are as old as me, but i am old. LOL. I remember in magazines (those paper book like things mailed every month) they use to have ads you could have mail forwarding services. Not sure who used it, but I am guessing people who wanted to receive mail from people they did not want to know where they lived. I am not sure if that happened here, but maybe this mailbox store provided a similar service. Maybe you could call and ask them to remail it. I would assume she had to pay for that. It would not be the same as a US Post Office forwarding. It would be interesting to know how this was discovered.

Excuse they typos, I can't edit from my phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That might be how he found it. I am not sure if you are as old as me, but i am old. LOL. I remember in magazines (those paper book like things mailed every month) they use to have ads you could have mail forwarding services. Not sure who used it, but I am guessing people who wanted to receive mail from people they did not want to know where they lived. I am not sure if that happened here, but maybe this mailbox store provided a similar service. Maybe you could call and ask them to remail it. I would assume she had to pay for that. It would not be the same as a US Post Office forwarding. It would be interesting to know how this was discovered.

I'll keep my age vague to protect my anonymity a bit but I don't think I am as old as you. I know what magazines are though, lol, and had my share of subscriptions. I'm not really young either. My first PO box was in the late 90's and I got it because I moved around a large metro area quite a bit in the course of a career. I was tired of changing my address with every move and missing my mail when it didn't always get forwarded. So I got a PO box near my job. Perhaps my own frequent moves is something I have in common with FLEK that makes me relate to her. Except I never really lived alone. I only had my own apartment for one year while single. Mostly, having flatmates or a boyfriend to split rent was a necessary financial move. I just can't figure out how she afforded her own apartments all those years without a steady income--her career on her resume is all over the place and mostly contract based work. If she had roommates or more boyfriends than we know about I think we would have heard from them. But the silence from people who knew her is deafening. She seemed to live alone and she managed to pay off her bankruptcy ahead of the schedule set by the court. How did she do that? Did she have some secret benefactor helping her? Or could her real parents have died in the late 90's and left her enough money to pay it off? We know she didn't have a large savings account or she would not have taken out loans and subsequently filed for bankruptcy. Unless she did have money in her real name and only FLEK had nothing on paper? Could she have ran away with a large savings to live off of, but that ran out in the early 2000's causing her to get more real jobs and marry for financial stability? Just thinking out loud what her finances could have been like.

I'll keep my age vague to protect my anonymity a bit but I don't think I am as old as you. I know what magazines are though, lol, and had my share of subscriptions. I'm not really young either. My first PO box was in the late 90's and I got it because I moved around a large metro area quite a bit in the course of a career. I was tired of changing my address with every move and missing my mail when it didn't always get forwarded. So I got a PO box near my job. Perhaps my own frequent moves is something I have in common with FLEK that makes me relate to her. Except I never really lived alone. I only had my own apartment for one year while single. Mostly, having flatmates or a boyfriend to split rent was a necessary financial move. I just can't figure out how she afforded her own apartments all those years without a steady income--her career on her resume is all over the place and mostly contract based work. If she had roommates or more boyfriends than we know about I think we would have heard from them. But the silence from people who knew her is deafening. She seemed to live alone and she managed to pay off her bankruptcy ahead of the schedule set by the court. How did she do that? Did she have some secret benefactor helping her? Or could her real parents have died in the late 90's and left her enough money to pay it off? We know she didn't have a large savings account or she would not have taken out loans and subsequently filed for bankruptcy. Unless she did have money in her real name and only FLEK had nothing on paper? Could she have ran away with a large savings to live off of, but that ran out in the early 2000's causing her to get more real jobs and marry for financial stability? Just thinking out loud what her finances could have been like.

That seems possible. She did turn to stripping if the reports are true. I wonder how strippers are hired. Are they entertainers who are contracted or actual employees? One thing I have thought about, if you change your identity you are still who you are. My guess is her former self was also into marketing. Probably doing freelance work if she could find it. Maybe joining similar groups she seem to join in texas. Of course if she was really 18-19 when she moved to Texas, then maybe she had no real professional past. Seems an act of desperation to become a stripper though. I wonder if it was the first time. Then she becomes very much into her church. Not sure what to make of that. A real rejection of her past. Some residual money from her parents might be true. If she wanted to hide that from debt she had accumulated she might covert her inheritance to cash and change her identity. If her parent died, and no siblings, then maybe nobody to look for her. She just fell off the grid.

That seems possible. She did turn to stripping if the reports are true. I wonder how strippers are hired. Are they entertainers who are contracted or actual employees? One thing I have thought about, if you change your identity you are still who you are. My guess is her former self was also into marketing. Probably doing freelance work if she could find it. Maybe joining similar groups she seem to join in texas. Of course if she was really 18-19 when she moved to Texas, then maybe she had no real professional past. Seems an act of desperation to become a stripper though. I wonder if it was the first time. Then she becomes very much into her church. Not sure what to make of that. A real rejection of her past. Some residual money from her parents might be true. If she wanted to hide that from debt she had accumulated she might covert her inheritance to cash and change her identity. If her parent died, and no siblings, then maybe nobody to look for her. She just fell off the grid.

I had forgotten about the stripping rumors. If true, she could have made enough to live comfortably in her own apartment and not share with anyone for a while. I suspect any family that might have looked for her is long dead or they would have come forward by now.

Regarding criminal implications . . . hypothetically speaking. What if she was involved with an unsolved murder? What if she is a child of the black market? What if she was running from abuse..... are others still in danger (ie her daughter)?

We are assuming that she shed her identity for the sake of avoiding bankruptcy consequences . . . we don't know anything so far.

So what if she was living as Becky Turner in Dallas prior to 1988? I feel like I went down that rabbit hole before but I might revisit. There is a year book photo of a Becky Turner in Irving that I think looks like FLEK but I had discounted it because she was born in 1955. I did a quick search for Becky Turners born in 1955 and found one that lived in Dallas, Irving and Colorado. Interestingly, RWB was living in Colorado when he married his first wife. Still processing this and I won't have time to research tomorrow but it's an interesting rabbit hole if anyone wants to go that way.

<modsni>

Social Security prosecutes quite a bit, actually. Not to mention resources that they have that we don't. For example, a professional handwriting analyst may see things we don't because we have never been trained in that way.

1f4bb427927c64d5429fcb3597d9ddcc.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what if she was living as Becky Turner in Dallas prior to 1988? I feel like I went down that rabbit hole before but I might revisit. There is a year book photo of a Becky Turner in Irving that I think looks like FLEK but I had discounted it because she was born in 1955. I did a quick search for Becky Turners born in 1955 and found one that lived in Dallas, Irving and Colorado. Interestingly, RWB was living in Colorado when he married his first wife. Still processing this and I won't have time to research tomorrow but it's an interesting rabbit hole if anyone wants to go that way.
I totally agree that she was likely living as BST for longer than just the period between getting the BST ID and then getting the LEK ID. But then she must have known about the real (deceased child) BST for as long as she'd been living under that name surely? You wouldn't make up a name then try to find the deceased person from which to steal an identity, it would surely happen the other way around. Which brings me back to why I firmly believe that she knew of the real BST via a Turner/a Howder/similar and when she decided to 'run away' or however you want to phrase it she knew she could use that name and get the paperwork to back it up at a later date.

So I don't know that yearbooks will be much help under that name (imo) because I doubt that she would have started using the BST name as a student. But that's because I'm coming from it from the angle that she wasn't born and raised a BST, she adopted that name somewhere in her late teens or around there. Does that make sense? Sorry, I might be missing your point totally! :)

I think there is a real possibility of anything including she was living in Dallas, perhaps as Becky. I don't think we can rule anything out completely. Maybe if not Dallas, another Texas town. I wish we really knew for sure she was a stripper in Dallas. It's like the three faces of Eve..metaphorically. I do not mean she has multiple personalities. I think we know for sure she was in Boise at least to get that ID, then we know she was in Dallas. If the parachutist certificate is real, we can assume she was, or someone using that name was in Phoenix. I am not sure we can definitely put her in Washington State or California, since the birth certificate could have been done by mail. I am also not sure we can place her in Nevada since that mailbox could have been done by mail. I just think since she chose Lori as a name, that might be more significant than the name Becky. You do have to wonder how she would have selected Becky as her identity. I mean if I were going to find an infant who died early enough to assume their identity, in the days before internet, I probably would have gone to the local library to access newspapers by mircrophish. What would make me go to that newspaper. I remember there were search abilities in libraries back then. You could find articles with search terms, then either go find the physical paper/mag or go to the microfilm machines. Most libraries kept a cross section of newspapers, but mainly local and big market papers. So maybe she had some knowledge of Becky's death, from her own life or someone she knew. I wonder what name she used to strip if that is even true.

I just had a thought. And yes, I tripped and almost fell. LOL. But what if a man is at the root of all of this? What if she was partnered with a bad guy, who also changed his name and moved to Dallas with her? What if he made her get the breast implants and made her strip to support them both? What if he is the one that made all those notes, trying to get out of the mess he made for both of them? Then after moving to Dallas, a few months later, or a year or so he leaves her or dies? wonder how common it is for people to change their names? It would be interesting to find out if any men changed their names in that dallas courthouse about this same time. Wonder if he also got an id in Idaho.

One other thought. when she got the breast implant surgery, did she have to list next of kin or in case of emergency contact so and so? Can we get that form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx