TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone get a 1st name for Howder?

Life got in the way and I haven't been on the forums in a while, but just a week or so ago I was drawn back to reading up a little here after seeing a reference to SpringSummer elsewhere... to see this news today is blowing my mind. Looking forward to the Seattle Times (?) story about it.

TCG

That's what I'm wondering. He 1st posted 5/20/15, contacted Velling who had to research what he told him, find family for a DNA sample. It's taking UNT/ NamUs 6+ months to process DNA. One of my cases, 3/9/2016 DNA submitted, it just came back complete today.

Here is spring/summer1988 1st post - 05-20-2015

Hello

The first time I heard of LEK is when I saw her Texas Driver license photograph on the news a few years ago. The photograph looked very familiar to me, but I did not recognize the name. Later that day I showed the broadcast to my wife, she advised the woman’s face did look familiar, but she did not recognize the name either. I quickly forgot about it.

Last week I was googling mysterious crime cases while I had down time at work, and ran across LEK again. The photograph looked familiar to me again so I googled her name. As I read deeper into the case on different websites, I saw the older photograph on the Ohio Driver license. I then realized that LEK was a girl I dated in the spring/summer of 1988. I showed this photograph to my wife, and she recognized her as well. It’s hard to explain how you meet people in life that make an impact on you, and we just take for granted that they are alive and well living somewhere on this earth.
I have contacted investigator Velling VIA telephone/email, and provided the information to him. He has asked additional questions, and I have answered them as well as I could. I feel like her family should be properly notified first. I believe the name I gave him was her real name, because her Mother called her by that name. I will NOT provide that name right now.
Around march/April 1988 I worked at an establishment with LEK in Irving, TX. I was 17, LEK was 21. LEK advised me she was from Northern California, and she was in the area visiting her Mother for a few months. I gave her a ride home one afternoon after work, and picked her up later in the evening to go have dinner.
We dated for around 3 months, and I had the time of my life with her. I want to make it very clear to everyone that she was one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life, and a Lady. She was definitely an introvert. I think we hit it off so well because I am an introvert myself. We really didn’t go out in public that much. We did spend a lot of time visiting with each other, watching television together, and cruising. LEK was very smart, and articulate. LEK was always dressed well and her personal hygiene was immaculate. She was also VERY modest. Imagine the smile on her face on that Ohio DL. That was the smile I remember, and she was wearing in quite often. She was an absolute joy to be around.
She didn’t talk much about her past, and I believe it was because she did come from a broken home. I know that she probably didn’t grow up having much. When she saw the house where I lived she, commented that she couldn’t believe I wasn’t “stuck up” like most people that came from that kind of neighborhood. I grew up in an upper middle class neighborhood.
It has been 27 years since that spring, and I have thought about her often. I am deeply saddened that she is dead, and it breaks my heart to think about what she was going through when she ended her life. My prayers go out to her husband, and child.
I have no idea why she assumed another identity other than she did have some family issues. She never did go into great detail with me on these issues.
I just wanted to chime in and kind of “take up” for her. The things I have read about her, makes her appear as some time of maniac. I know people change over time, and it appears she was having issues. The LEK I know was not like that at all.

Yes, I do have photos of her.

Yes, I met her Mother. Her Mother's health was declining, and that is why LEK was down visiting. I remember her Mother had only been in TX a few years before 1988. I would assume that her Mother is no longer living. I drove by the house her Mother lived in earlier this week. It is no longer there.

I am thinking I probably have her real name. I heard her Mother call her by her name several times. I am confident it was her Mother as well, the only difference between the two of them was their age and hair color.

This is exciting news! Is there anything else you are willing to share about this person?
Not right now.

Please understand that I am still having a hard time with her death.

I do know a little more about her personal life than I am letting on, but I feel like I am violating her as well as her family.

I DO NOT know anything about her identity change, but I possibly have an idea on why she did it.

I feel 100% that she didn't do it to harm anyone, and I also feel 100% that she didn't do it to hide after she committed a crime. I am thinking she felt like she needed a fresh start to move on in her adult life.

Some other questions that I hope aren't too intrusive...

1) did the detective you spoke with indicate that you have the right person? If so, do you know what steps will be taken to publicize her identification? .......... No, but I am assuming he will attempt to contact our old employer. He did say that unless the employer kept the records all these years he could not access them. I am not sure he can say for sure if he cant get those records. I can remember back in the 80s that an employer would just let you write in your SS#. I have no doubt it is her though.

2) do you recognize her from any of the missing persons we've been theorizing about in these threads? Do you know if she was reported missing......No.

3) do you have any thoughts on the "notes" page she left in a lockbox? Do any of the notes indicate anything about her true story? ..... I will look, if you will tell me where I can see them.

4) do you know anything about her or her mother's religious background? no

I don't plan on posting any of the pictures, at least not now.

I joined this forum to try to give an opinion of her that was from someone that actually knew her. I hope that her child never sees some of the things posted on the internet about her Mother.

Just a tidbit from MDDM from r3dd!t, apparently FLEK knew *a lot* about Blake's family before marrying him. The name "Lori Erica" was a combination of names from two of the Ruff extended family members.

Remember the poster who posted the note left on Lori's page!!
We didn't know if Sandy was the poster or Lori?

Also, I dont know where to mention this, so i'm hoing to put it here and if it isn't allowed (i'm new), somebody tell me and i'll delete it right away.

I was looking into info last night about this case. I came upon a page on reddit where there was a listing for her grave online and people can send virtual flowers and etc. It had been updated in august this year, and an anonymous user sent her a flower. The comment was something like:

"I hope you find peace, sandy".

I dont know if the person who was commenting was Sandy, but I found it odd someone would post anonymously then leave their name. That started me down the rabbit hole of who is "Sandy", and I did find a woman who went missing in the 80's in wisconsin named Sandy. They looked somewhat similar, but her disappearance seemed more like foul play.

Anyway, thought I would mention it. Again, if this isnt allowed, please tell me, i'll delete it.

I agree. I don't either! If it is Sandra, where was she from 1973-1988 and WHO was she?

I actually do see it , if you take out mid face and lose 20 lbs, the forehead , the eyebrow line and the lips look alike!

Time for a QUICK POLL
Tick as many as you like!

Thank this post if you think Lori will be someone who was listed on NAMUS.

I thought they were talking about another Sandra who wasn't reported missing? She has ties to the man that served 402 months in prison for a robbery he committed in California?

Can you please link which Sandra you are talking about? TIA

QUICK POLL

Thank this post if you think Lori was never reported missing BUT we will have heard her name (ie a Howder, Lebaron etc)

QUICK POLL

Thank this post if you think the person was never reported and none of us will have heard of her

QUICK POLL

Thank this post if you think Lori was related to, or knew, Becky Sue Turner's family

QUICK POLL

Thank this post if you think Spring Summer 1988 was telling the truth about who Lori was

Heres the photo

7a93c4e407bbeb7e34750940287b913a.jpg

The link is from websleuths actually! It's sandy bullock (I forget the married name), I thought we were speaking of.

Edit: she's not in any missing persons database, because she was never reported missing.

QUICK POLL

Thank this post if you're soooo giddy you might actually pee your pants (or vomit)

Wow, what a way to return from vacation and read they have discovered Lori's REAL identity!

I am in shock, disbelief after all this time. I am quite sure all you excellent sleuthers enquiring here and there, putting pieces together helped in this solving process.

Tonight I will have to go back and read the many pages I have missed. It will be exciting to discover what this poor girl was running from. I certainly hope she wa not involved in criminal activity! Dear Lori, at last the world knows who you are.

Wonder how long the Ruff family has known?

I thought they were talking about another Sandra who wasn't reported missing? She has ties to the man that served 402 months in prison for a robbery he committed in California?

That was someone named Debbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member