TX - Mass Shooting at Fort Hood, 5 November 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I work on Ft. Hood and was here during the lock down yesterday. It was truely like a scene out of a movie. We were notified that there had been a shooting initially, and that we were to lock the doors to our building and cover the windows. There were several different accounts as most of you saw on the news. The husband of one of our employees was in the building when the shooting occurred.He gave us minimal info, as the chaos that ensued was such that there was no time to find anything out, just get the flock out of there. He said they heard a "pop pop pop pop" and screams and feet... people were running out the door past him yelling that someone was shooting up the place and to get out. Next thing he knew the DOD police were pulling up and he was in his car leaving the parking lot. He was able to make it safely to our building.

Peeking out of the blinds we started to see big trucks dropping soldiers off all over the place. It started to look like WW III. They were blocking entrances and patrolling (on foot) all of the parking lots and ensuring everyone was in a building and not out roaming around. It took a while to gather the intelligence to safely release everyone. We had minimal cell access because the phone lines were over loaded as the news started to hit. We tried calling from land lines, leaving messages on myspace and facebook because we didn't have a way to contact anyone to let them know we were okay. All you could hear were sirens for about an hour. They finally started releasing us about 6:30-7:00, but the lines were not moving because they were searching every car. The lines coming on post were the same, people were trying to come and get their children from the schools that were locked down.

Today it is almost like a ghost town. I mean, there are people walking around, cars going by.....but there is an eerie silence in the air. People are talking, but not really saying anything. We are all looking at EVERYONE around us, people in the parking lot, walking in and out of buildings.....just in case. Right now we are all waiting for the moment of silence, I just don't think that a moment is enough.

I can also say with confidence that we should all take what the media says with a grain of salt - more like a load of sand. This is the government. They are only reporting minimal information to appease the public. They do not broadcast the internal tragedies because it only causes those who expect our military to protect our contry to lose their sense of security and empower and encourage our enemies to any weaknesses. We are all curious...and concerned. The fact is like my husband (who is in LE) says to me when I ask about things: If you knew EVERYTHING that happens in this country you would never sleep again. Some things are best to remain on a need to know basis.

Thank you so much for sharing yesterday's experience....it must have been terrifying! You sound as tho you may be experiencing a delayed shock -- still trying to process it all.

So many people were thinking of everyone @ Fort Hood & nearby communities - we were afraid for all near there since we didn't really know what was going on.

virtual ((hugs)) since I can't hug you IRL.

we also have annonymous psych programs on post... where you can talk with a counselor without even giving your name.

<snip for lenght> the DOD police were pulling up

lose their sense of security

The DOD police are uniformed civilian police officers on the post/fort. Are there no military police? Are our military posts/forts/bases prepared to defend themselves?

Humm, I always felt extra safe while at Camp Pendleton.

Yes, I think I am okay, thanks for asking... It was a very scary day for so many reasons...We kept getting the mixed information that everyone was seeing on the news so we did not know how many gunmen there were, where they were, where they were going next. I think the majority of us were more afraid for those who were in the line of fire, their families and the children who were being locked in the schools.

As for delayed shock, I don't know what it is I am feeling...more of a sense of suspision of everyone around me (coworkers excluded of course). Saddness for those who have been lost, lost someone, almost lost someone, witnessed the loss.....my heart is just heavy and I think that is just the overall feeling here on post today.

The DOD police are uniformed civilian police officers on the post/fort. Are there no military police? Are our military posts/forts/bases prepared to defend themselves?

yes we have mps on post and yes we are able to defend our posts... civillian police augment patrol duties on post...due to the war the mps are filling other roles. living on post, I can tell you I feel very safe.. much more safe than when I leave post...

I am aware of who the DOD police are. They were the closest when the call came over the radio. The female officer who shot the gunman was less than 5 minutes away. Duty called and she rock n rolled and probably saved a lot of lives and was shot herself if you will recall. Not to mention the MP station is over 2 miles away.....The SWAT team, K9 units and other members of military law enforcement were there shortly after. I commend ALL law enforcement agencies who rallied together and assisted each other during this crisis....Killeen, Belton, Temple, Harker Heights PDs as well as DPS took officers from their own cities to engage in protecting the people of this post as well as the surrounding areas. At the time, I don't think anyone in that building CARED if she was DOD police or an MP.

I am quite certain that our post is capable of defending itself. I have been here for 6 years and until yesterday never thought in a million years that something like this could happen.

I am happy for you to have felt so safe at Pendleton. I hope that no situation arises to test that sense of security as we had here at Ft. Hood yesterday.

Really? That's new.
no... it started up in 2006ish while we were stationed in Germany and my husband was a btn commander. It is a really great program.

ETA: they started this program up because of the reluctance of soldiers to seek mental help post deployment.

Yes, I think I am okay, thanks for asking... It was a very scary day for so many reasons...We kept getting the mixed information that everyone was seeing on the news so we did not know how many gunmen there were, where they were, where they were going next. I think the majority of us were more afraid for those who were in the line of fire, their families and the children who were being locked in the schools.

As for delayed shock, I don't know what it is I am feeling...more of a sense of suspision of everyone around me (coworkers excluded of course). Saddness for those who have been lost, lost someone, almost lost someone, witnessed the loss.....my heart is just heavy and I think that is just the overall feeling here on post today.

Well I'm numb for some reason and I'm not even there. I feel so bad for you guys - as if life there isn't stressful enough. My prayers are with you.

<snip>

Dr. Val Finnell, a classmate of Hasan's at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, attended a master's in public health program in 2007-2008. Finnell says he got to know Hasan because the group of public health students took an environmental health class together.

At the end of the class, everyone had to give a presentation. Classmates wrote on topics such as dry cleaning chemicals and mold in homes, but Finnell said Hasan chose the war against terror. Finnell described Hasan as a "vociferous opponent" of the terror war. Finnell said Hasan told classmates he was "a Muslim first and an American second."

more here

http://www.koat.com/news/21543095/detail.html

no... it started up in 2006ish while we were stationed in Germany and my husband was a btn commander. It is a really great program.

ETA: they started this program up because of the reluctance of soldiers to seek mental help post deployment.

Yes that has always been a problem. Now the problem is - are the Counselors better qualified than this guy would have been? Geesh! Scary. I once went to talk to somebody on Post about the stresses of being expected to lead without having received adequate training and she said to me during the second session, "I'm not your friend". Huh? I guess something I said threatened her Ego. That was the last time I went there and just plowed through my fears. Now I understand that Family Support Group Leaders get paid - is that true? The Army doesn't just expect it from the Commander's wife anymore? Don't get me wrong, I wanted to be helpful but sometimes I felt overwhelmed by circumstances that I had no special training in coupled with no real authority (that would be my husband but he was in Afganistan or Iraq or Italy or ?). Ya know?

Unless someone's already suggested this, we ought to send Hasan to Afghanistan anyway. Heck with Iraq. Drop him with a parachute and a lunch box.

We have a program here dedicated to wellness and transitioning back from war zones to home. I have heard some good things about it.

Mt PERSONAL opinion is that this was not a hate crime, nor a random act of violence...retaliation maybe - huge maybe....but I feel this was all about his religious belief.

The fact that the shooting took place at the last stop for deploying soldiers says so much if you ask me....

I think it is possible he went into a panic at the thought of being sent into a battle zone where he was expected to kill people who believe the same thing he does. Or something along those lines.

This is all with the assumption that he was working alone... either along side or under someone else's direction.

Unless someone's already suggested this, we ought to send Hasan to Afghanistan anyway. Heck with Iraq. Drop him with a parachute and a lunch box.

Why be kind? - loose the parachute (this is bringing out the worst in me).

Candlelight vigil set for 6 p.m. at Fort Hood Stadium

Yes that has always been a problem. Now the problem is - are the Counselors better qualified than this guy would have been? Geesh! Scary. I once went to talk to somebody on Post about the stresses of being expected to lead without having received adequate training and she said to me during the second session, "I'm not your friend". Huh? I guess something I said threatened her Ego. That was the last time I went there and just plowed through my fears. Now I understand that Family Support Group Leaders get paid - is that true? The Army doesn't just expect it from the Commander's wife anymore? Don't get me wrong, I wanted to be helpful but sometimes I felt overwhelmed by circumstances that I had no special training in coupled with no real authority (that would be my husband but he was in Afganistan or Iraq or Italy or ?). Ya know?
the councelors in the annonymous program are not military practitioners. They are contracted by the government and can only do the job for one year. Yes, it is a wonderful program! They do not keep any records. However, if they feel someone is a danger to self or others there are steps in place to make sure the ball does not get dropped.

As for frg leaders being paid... no... we aren't.. but there is a paid position now starting at the btn level... frsa... and they are a "coordinator" per se.. but us spouses.. we still do all the work and trust me... I can echo what you said above!!!!

People are making excuses for this behavior now - I'm about to burst. There is no excuse for what this criminal sicko has done.

Every person who serves in the Armed services KNOWS they will/could face deployment at any time. If they claim not to know, they are liars.

This guy was a USER and he is now a KILLER. He is a COWARD and who knows what else. IMO he is Godless. There is no way he has PTSD as he has never been in combat or anywhere near it before yesterday.

This guy is the worst representation of a human being. I hate him and his stupid ideologies.MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL THE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVE OUR COUNTRY WITH HONOR AND DEVOTION.
STAY STRONG AND KNOW YOU'RE APPRECIATED.

BBM- Its easy (and probably natural) to feel hate and anger at a time like this, but hate seems to be a driving force in these killings and so many others, and fuels more hate/ violence.

I agree that there are no excuses for this mass killing. But it's important to identify the triggers and background info so that they can prevent the same thing happening in the future.

Also I want to note that PTSD is not exclusive to those who have been in combat.

I am not making excuses for this mass murderer. He chose to take the life of so many innocent people- nobody forced him to do that. But he was being forced to take part in the killing of others in his upcoming deployment, even if he wasn't frontline.

I just can't get past the fact that this may never have happened if he was not forced to stay in a place he clearly did not want to be. Surely he could have left and repaid his debt as a civilian. An anti- American, anti-war extremist soldier has no place in the forces.

Prayers for everyone affected by this senseless tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noseynellie1234