TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense asking about the chain-of-custody of Armstrong's belongings found in Costa Rica. Defense wonders how he can be sure that the property handed to him to transported back to the US is truly Kaitlin Armstrong's."I could have looked a little closer into it, but since it had her name and image on it, I confirmed it to be hers," Perez says about the documents/ID/clothes found in the bag.

1:37 PM · Nov 9, 2023

Perez says that Costa Rica was a great place for the defendant to hide because there were so many American tourists in Santa Teresa.

1:40 PM · Nov 9, 2023

I guess I am curious why she had his name. Had she contacted him…or did she research an attorney if she got caught?

Anyone know who that attorney was that his name was found on a piece of paper with her belongings in CR?

Brian Roark
IMO, she probably contacted him about the warrant for theft that APD mistakenly released her on. I think she also inquired if she could leave the country with the outstanding warrant. JMO

I guess I am curious why she had his name. Had she contacted him…or did she research an attorney if she got caught?

I'm thinking he was either a referral from her real estate lawyer or she had heard of him (according to his website, he is on local TV a lot). It will be interesting to know if she had spoken with an attorney before fleeing. CS had his own early on (accompanied him on his second police interview).

Thanks for asking, @jepop. My post said "I too believe" in addition, I try to remember to use the word allegedly when someone has not been convicted of a crime in a court of law. This person has not at this time. Hope that clears it up. It's an opinion. moo
No prob @arielilane. I agree use of allegedly is best practice (along with specifying as opinion and/or speculation/conjecture )-Imo(!). Wanted to say too thank- you so much for all your work with the trial tweets, which is very much appreciated.

Carissa Lehmkuhl
@CarissaonFOX7

D: "Who managed/touched (KA's) items before they were handed to you?"
Perez: "No idea"
D: "How can you confirm they were hers?"
Perez: Mentions wallet w/ID, Armstrong's sister's passport
D: "So because of a wallet with her name in it everything else in that bag was KA’s?"
1:39 PM · Nov 9, 2023

Perez describes Armstrong as polite and cooperative in his interactions with her. During State questioning of Perez, he admits that when first asked her name by local authorities, Armstrong said it was "Ari Martin"
@fox7austin
1:51 PM · Nov 9, 2023

Break for lunch.
@fox7austin
1:52 PM · Nov 9, 2023

I'm thinking he was either a referral from her real estate lawyer or she had heard of him (according to his website, he is on local TV a lot). It will be interesting to know if she had spoken with an attorney before fleeing. CS had his own early on (accompanied him on his second police interview).
KA was supposed to meet CS at the attorney’s office, but she never showed up and CS never saw her again.

They had discussed this at the coffee shop.

Perez met with the local authorities and interviewed others in the service industry: waiters, bartenders, hostel owners, management staff. He conducted beach surveillance, looking for Armstrong. "Quite a lot of people matched her demographic," Perez says.

On 6/29, Perez says he got information that she may have been staying at a hostel. He concentrated his surveillance efforts on the hostel. It was at this point he encountered Armstrong. He walked in, noticing Armstrong and a man sitting together on a patio. He said he didn't recognize her at first, but upon getting closer and talking to her, he realized it was her. "It appeared she had a bandage on her nose and her lips looked a bit swollen. The hair we were looking for was lighter, so I wasn't exactly sure.”

Perez began to speak to her in Spanish. When she couldn't respond without a translator, he recognized her based on her eyes. Perez left and alerted the local authorities, who are the ones who needed to make the arrest.

Snipped for focus

How did KA not know she was being looked for if so many people were being asked questions by Marshals? Word must have got around, surely?

No prob @arielilane. I agree use of allegedly is best practice (along with specifying as opinion and/or speculation/conjecture )-Imo(!). Wanted to say too thank- you so much for all your work with the trial tweets, which is very much appreciated.
You're welcome! :)

Regarding, the Morphew case here is a link, I'm not comfortable providing legal info, and I don't see a verified legal around to weigh in for us.

The dismissal of charges in the Morphew case does not mean that the case is over. The charges in the case were dismissed without prejudice, meaning that the case can still be filed again.

Here’s what the State of Colorado says dismissal without prejudice means:

“The dismissal of a case while allowing the party to sue again on the same cause of action at some future time.”

I agree that KA has not been convicted yet, and it is best to use the term allegedly when speaking about her role in the crime, but while she has the presumption of innocence in a courtroom, we are not bound by that standard here. I think the vast majority of us here have our minds made up, but she is certainly entitled to, and getting, a fair trial. JMO

@alcaprari23

No further questions. Witness dismissed. We will now break for lunch.Sadly, that also means an end to my live tweets today. Happily, I am heading back home to attend my niece's baptism. No court tomorrow due to the holiday. I expect to be back in the courtroom on Monday.

2:02 PM · Nov 9, 2023

KAITLING ARMSTRONG MURDER TRIAL

Next witness: Emir Perez, Deputy, US Marshals Service. On 5/18, Perez says APD contacted US Marshals for assistance searching for Armstrong around Austin.US Marshals then concentrated their efforts on Costa Rica. Perez flew their to help with immigration authorities to locate her.

Perez says you have to rely on local resources when conducting international investigations. He said it took "old-fashioned police work." He asked questions, interviewed people, looked around.He began to focus on Santa Teresa, a seaside beach town on the coast of the Costa Rican peninsula. It is small, touristy, with only one paved road.

Perez met with the local authorities and interviewed others in the service industry: waiters, bartenders, hostel owners, management staff. He conducted beach surveillance, looking for Armstrong. "Quite a lot of people matched her demographic," Perez says.

On 6/29, Perez says he got information that she may have been staying at a hostel. He concentrated his surveillance efforts on the hostel. It was at this point he encountered Armstrong. He walked in, noticing Armstrong and a man sitting together on a patio. He said he didn't recognize her at first, but upon getting closer and talking to her, he realized it was her. "It appeared she had a bandage on her nose and her lips looked a bit swollen. The hair we were looking for was lighter, so I wasn't exactly sure.”

Perez began to speak to her in Spanish. When she couldn't respond without a translator, he recognized her based on her eyes. Perez left and alerted the local authorities, who are the ones who needed to make the arrest.

Perez spoke to her under the guise that he was asking for information about the hostel.Perez was watching from a car as local authorities arrested Armstrong. She was then transported to the local jail a block away.

Perez never asked her her name. His partner did. She said her name was Kaitlin Armstrong. Perez says he learned that she was using at least 3-4 different aliases in Costa Rica.

A legal document in Spanish from Costa Rica is being presented to the jury. Perez is being asked to translate it. It says that Armstrong entered Costa Rica illegally, a hearing was held and she was being deported.Perez and Armstrong boarded a plane in San Jose and landed in Houston, Texas. Armstrong was turned over to Customs and Border Protection officials.

No further questions. Defense's turn.Perez confirms he had a personal conversation with Kaitlin. Perez says Kaitlin was polite and friendly. At the local police station, Kaitlin hesitated to give her name, but eventually coughed it up.

Defense asking about the chain-of-custody of Armstrong's belongings found in Costa Rica. Defense wonders how he can be sure that the property handed to him to transported back to the US is truly Kaitlin Armstrong's."I could have looked a little closer into it, but since it had her name and image on it, I confirmed it to be hers," Perez says about the documents/ID/clothes found in the bag.

Perez says that Costa Rica was a great place for the defendant to hide because there were so many American tourists in Santa Teresa.

No further questions. Witness dismissed. We will now break for lunch.Sadly, that also means an end to my live tweets today. Happily, I am heading back home to attend my niece's baptism. No court tomorrow due to the holiday. I expect to be back in the courtroom on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
womackian