TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Krinjak
@JohnKrinjakFOX7

Prosecutors have now called Alejandra Gil, forensic DNA scientist with DPS.
She tested:
- DNA swabs from Kaitlin Armstrong's bike handlebars & seat, gun, and a gum wrapper
- Saliva from Kaitlin Armstrong, Colin Strickland & Caitlin Cash
- Blood from Moriah Wilson
@fox7austin
12:44 PM · Nov 14, 2023

On cross, Gil acknowledges DNA evidence does not indicate how, where or when it was deposited. She says Armstrong, Strickland, Cash and Wilson were the only people whose DNA profiles she was asked to compare the swabs to.
@fox7austin
12:51 PM · Nov 14, 2023

State has now called Samantha Perkins, DNA Supervisor with DPS. She's giving background of what DNA is and how it's analyzed
@fox7austin
1:10 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins now going over the DNA reports she submitted for the Armstrong case.
Armstrong and Wilson's DNA were found on the handlebars of Wilson's bike. Caitlin Cash and Colin Strickland's DNA were not.
@fox7austin
1:21 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins testifies that Armstrong and Strickland's DNA were found on gun.
Caitlin Cash and Moriah Wilson's DNA were not found on gun.
Only Wilson's DNA was found on a stain on the floor.
@fox7austin
1:28 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins further testifies that no DNA was found on magazine base of the gun or the gum wrapper.
No (other) DNA was found on Wilson's blood, Cash's saliva or Strickland's saliva.
@fox7austin
1:30 PM · Nov 14, 2023

@alcaprari23

Based on the chart we were looking at, there is "strong support" that Kaitlin Armstrong's DNA is a match on the bicycle handlebars.

1:19 PM · Nov 14, 2023
I'm wondering if what the landlord heard and thought sounded like someone going down the stairs was the sound of the bicycle tires bouncing/hitting the stairs on the way down. Surely she didn't heave the bike over the railing but rather rapidly side-walked it down those stairs before riding it away.

Mills Hayes
@MillsHayesTV

0601 known blood standards from Moriah Wilson1101 swabs from underside of bike seat, presumptive test for blood that was negative1201 swabs from exterior of fun wrapper 1301 saliva from Colin Strickland 1401 saliva from Caitlin Cash
9:40 AM · Nov 14, 2023

16-01 swabs of stain on floor, presumptive testing of blood was positive17-01 swabs of stain on cinderblock, presumptive testing of blood was negative 20-01 swabs of stain on left thigh of Wilson, positive for blood All from Alejandra Gil's report.
9:41 AM · Nov 14, 2023

Defense Attorney Elizabeth Duggan is up. Gil can't vouch for how evidence was received from APD. Dugan: "Is there a limit to the amount of people you can compare DNA to?"Gil: No D: It's entirely dependent on what APD asks you to do? G: Correct
9:48 AM · Nov 14, 2023

Next witness: Samantha Perkins is the DNA supervisor & Technical Leader of the Capitol Area Lab for TXDPS. She's been in that position for 6 years. Was previously with Waco, Corpus Christi crime labs.
9:53 AM · Nov 14, 2023

State puts Perkins up as a DNA expert. Perkins is going over "what is DNA" with jury. She says 99% is identical between human population, but less than 1% that is hyper-variable between individuals. Found in body fluids, ski/tissue, bones/teeth, hair roots.
9:59 AM · Nov 14, 2023

State submits 2 reports that Perkins issued for this case. 01-01 is swab from handle bars of Wilson's bike. Probability of obtaining profile if DNA came from Wilson, KA & 1 unrelated is 49k greater than probability of Wilson @ 2 unrelated-CS & CC excluded as contributors
10:18 AM · Nov 14, 2023

That falls under "strong support" for DNA. 02-01 swab from Wilson's bike seat DNA mixture of 3 individualsProbability of obtaining profile from Wilson, Armstrong & 1 unrelated is 224 BILLION times greater than the probability of Wilson @ 2 unrelated. "very strong support"
10:21 AM · Nov 14, 2023

03-01 Firearm grip swab-mixture of 3 individuals-Probability of obtaining profile from KA & 2 unrelated unknown individuals, is 3.87 septillion x greater than the probability of obtaining profile of 3 unrelated-Probability of obtaining profile from CS, 2.69 mil x greater
10:23 AM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins says difference in likelihood ratio is that there is more DNA information on firearm from #KaitlinArmstrong than Colin Strickland.
10:24 AM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins says no DNA interpretable on magazine base/loading port, under seat of Wilson's bike & swabs from exterior of gum wrap at scene.
10:26 AM · Nov 14, 2023

Defense up for questioning Perkins. Perkins says interpreted DNA in case, scientist behind it. Agrees that DNA doesn't tell us what time, when or how DNA got on an object.
10:33 AM · Nov 14, 2023

Defense Attorney Duggan is asking about transfer DNA.Swab on handle bar:-Mixture of 3 individuals-Wilson & Armstrong cannot be excluded
10:43 AM · Nov 14, 2023

Toast. moo
Succinctly put! KA's DNA is found on the bike's touch points; CS's isn't. That would seemingly rule out KA's DNA being found on MW's bike through "transfer" DNA via CS.

MOO: At this point in the trial, I have to wonder if KA is realizing she (allegedly) took another woman's life in a cold, jealous rage and may well spend her life in prison over something that never happened.

(I really wish that WebSleuths had a cow emoji with a MOO word bubble, because that's what I want each time I MOO.)

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Defense asking about trace and transfer DNA. Perkins going through how some people shed skin cells more than others. "Good Shedders vs. Bad Shedders" is the term Perkins uses.
1:41 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins says that because the trigger, trigger guard, magazine, etc. were all apart of the same swab, you cannot differentiate where on the gun the DNA was pulled from.
1:43 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Defense hypothesizing about the potential transfer of DNA on non-tested items, like motorcycle helmet, face guard, chin strap, etc. Perkins says DNA would likely be found on all those things. Defense concludes that via transfer, it's possible for someone's DNA to exist in a place where they have never actually been.
2:00 PM · Nov 14, 2023

I just created this very rough map of her escape route. She may have cut through that Tree Apartments parking lot at 1st St and Post, as he mentioned a parking lot. She actually made it quite a ways away from that facility.

View attachment 460849
I wonder if someone was waiting for her out there somewhere.

John Krinjak
@JohnKrinjakFOX7

On cross, Perkins acknowledges the evidence indicates a 3rd unknown person's DNA was also found on the gun, along with Armstrong & Strickland's.
Defense is asking her about how DNA can be transferred multiple times from one person/object to another, then another, etc
@fox7austin
1:39 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins testifies that unknown DNA was also found on the bike.
Defense points out that DNA was not collected from Armstrong's Jeep.
@fox7austin
1:55 PM · Nov 14, 2023

John Krinjak
@JohnKrinjakFOX7

On cross, Perkins acknowledges the evidence indicates a 3rd unknown person's DNA was also found on the gun, along with Armstrong & Strickland's.
Defense is asking her about how DNA can be transferred multiple times from one person/object to another, then another, etc
@fox7austin
1:39 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins testifies that unknown DNA was also found on the bike.
Defense points out that DNA was not collected from Armstrong's Jeep.
@fox7austin
1:55 PM · Nov 14, 2023
It is possible that the unknown DNA on her gun belonged to either her sister, CA, or the woman who testified yesterday, Jill Zan, about teaching her gun safety. JMO

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Defense keeps ensuring the jury knows that Perkins cannot say that Armstrong's DNA was definitively on the bike. Only that there is a "strong likelihood" that Armstrong's DNA was on the bike.
2:07 PM · Nov 14, 2023

No further questions. The court will take a one hour break for lunch. I'll have a new afternoon thread when we return.
2:12 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Have we heard/read about the house door knob/handle? Were any fingerprints of KAs on either the interior or exterior knob/handle? If not, I guess it's possible she wore gloves, or Mo let her in, but then how did KAs DNA get on the bike if she was wearing gloves?

I don’t understand why KA took the bike. To make the murder look like a robbery gone wrong? Or as one last F you to MW?
KA is a real puzzle IMO. That Bali yoga retreat is the first instance I‘ve heard of her having an emotional meltdown. But this murder really shows a deep and insane hatred and also a level of coldness. Like sociopathic levels of coldness and cruelty. Has she never previously experienced major relationship disappointment? Surely she has..? How is her past not riddled with stories of her crazy behavior? JMO.

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Defense asking about trace and transfer DNA. Perkins going through how some people shed skin cells more than others. "Good Shedders vs. Bad Shedders" is the term Perkins uses.
1:41 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Perkins says that because the trigger, trigger guard, magazine, etc. were all apart of the same swab, you cannot differentiate where on the gun the DNA was pulled from.
1:43 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Defense hypothesizing about the potential transfer of DNA on non-tested items, like motorcycle helmet, face guard, chin strap, etc. Perkins says DNA would likely be found on all those things. Defense concludes that via transfer, it's possible for someone's DNA to exist in a place where they have never actually been.
2:00 PM · Nov 14, 2023
Re the shedding.....how likely is it that KA's DNA was mixed with CS's DNA through touch and then CS shed ONLY KA's DNA on Mo who then shed that DNA on her bike? Would that make CS an inadvertently selective shedder? Is it possible to shed someone's DNA that happens to be on you without shedding ANY of your own at the same time? I get that the defense is actively defending her however, some of their "possibles" require a very elastic brain stretch.

I also wonder if the jurors have picked up on the defenses' dig that opinions are so unreliable they should be discounted when the jurors themselves are going to rely on their own opinions. I feel as if the defense is insinuating the jurors opinions will be unreliable if they dare to form one. It's sort of a clandestine insult to the intelligence of the jurors. moo

I don’t understand why KA took the bike. To make the murder look like a robbery gone wrong? Or as one last F you to MW?
KA is a real puzzle IMO. That Bali yoga retreat is the first instance I‘ve heard of her having an emotional meltdown. But this murder really shows a deep and insane hatred and also a level of coldness. Like sociopathic levels of coldness and cruelty. Has she never previously experienced major relationship disappointment? Surely she has..? How is her past not riddled with stories of her crazy behavior? JMO.
I'm going with the "one last F you to MW" theory. The famous line from the Wizard of Oz comes to mind - the wicked witch says to Dorothy: "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too." Insert "bike" for "dog." Mo's bike was her life and I'll bet that may not have even been planned on KA's part (who knows where it could be - in the garage even). Saw it by the door as she dashed out and did what she did with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader