TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@alcaprari23

Defense asking when Kalafut was brought into discuss the case. Kalafut says the DA called him within the last three weeks. He reviewed the Texas DPS case file and as much case information as he could possibly get a hold of.

6:35 PM · Nov 15, 2023

Kalafut says he was given that information and case data from the state. Kalafut says he has not read any court transcripts related to this case before testifying.

6:37 PM · Nov 15, 2023

@alcaprari23

No further questions from the defense.State asks if he knows anything about this trial. Kalafut says he knows the basics from the case files. Kalafut says he doesn't know who the unknown third person's DNA is on the handlebars, but he does know that Armstrong cannot be excluded as a possible subject.No further questions. Witness dismissed. Both sides have rested their cases.

6:44 PM · Nov 15, 2023

The defense has rested its case, but the state has called a new witness: Dr. Tim Kalafut, a forensic scientist from Sam Houston State University. He has authored several articles on DNA analysis.

Regarding this case, Kalafut was given two propositions: 1) There was DNA on Wilson's bicycle belonging to Armstrong because Armstrong took the bike with her hands and tried to dispose of it 2) DNA was transferred through a series of activities like Wilson picking up Armstrong's DNA from a motorcycle helmet

As for proposition two, Kalafut says the likelihood of DNA being transferred after first being picked up on a motorcycle/helmet AND THEN swimming in Deep Eddy pool is highly improbable. "I wouldn't have a very high expectation at all for finding DNA on a bicycle farther down the chain.”

Kalafut is casting serious doubt on the likelihood that Wilson could have passed Armstrong's DNA to her own bike. The State is counting out how many steps of transfer DNA that would entail. It's at least four. Kalafut has only heard of two studies where transfer DNA has successfully been passed down four times and survived. And in that case, the DNA had to be highly amplified in order to survive.

Kalafut confirms he has no information about the third unknown DNA donor found on that bicycle. There is no way to tell when that DNA was deposited, be it 5/11 or before. Among the two propositions given to him, Kalafut says it is his opinion that it is more likely that Armstrong placed her DNA on the bicycle, not that Mo Wilson transferred Armstrong's DNA by accident.

Defense ensuring that Kalafut acknowledges and tells the jury that it is possible that someone's DNA can be found in a place where they have never been.

Defense asking when Kalafut was brought into discuss the case. Kalafut says the DA called him within the last three weeks. He reviewed the Texas DPS case file and as much case information as he could possibly get a hold of.

Kalafut says he was given that information and case data from the state. Kalafut says he has not read any court transcripts related to this case before testifying.

Kalafut says he has about equal experience testifying on behalf of the prosecution as well as the defense. Kalafut says the State paid him to be here. Defense doesn't ask him how much he was paid.

No further questions from the defense.State asks if he knows anything about this trial. Kalafut says he knows the basics from the case files. Kalafut says he doesn't know who the unknown third person's DNA is on the handlebars, but he does know that Armstrong cannot be excluded as a possible subject.No further questions. Witness dismissed. Both sides have rested their cases.

Judge tells jury that closing arguments will begin tomorrow and then they will begin their deliberations. Jury is expected back here at 9am CT. Court has been adjourned for the evening. Goodnight!

Also, where was all the testimony the defense told us we’d hear about KA’s traumatic past and why it’s her first instinct to run away from things? That’s literally the ONLY thing the defense told us we’d hear. Maybe they were banking on the state calling CA to testify and planned to bring that out during their cross examination.

Also, where was all the testimony the defense told us we’d hear about KA’s traumatic past and why it’s her first instinct is to run away from things? That’s literally the ONLY thing the defense told us we’d hear. Maybe they were banking on the state calling CA to testify and planned to bring that out during their cross examination.
Right? Cofer tossed that out in the opening statement. We've heard nothing about constant abuse other than what most people run into in relationships where a partner may cheat or hide something. Would they bring this up out of the blue in closing tomorrow? I thought maybe CA would testify to her jetting off to foreign locales, as you said, to get away from things and clear her head. Nada.

KA is about to have an Alex Murdaugh moment. It’s never good to be caught on video at the scene of the murder, at the exact moment of the murder. This is especially true if you have openly admitted that you would like to murder the person who coincidentally ended up dead while you were there.

Mr Caprariello, who is in the courtroom, says that Mr Tobin’s testimony does not appear to have an impact on the jury.

So…5k nothing burger
JMO

Should be a relatively quick verdict, I do not see how anyone could have any doubt she did it. Prosecution put on a good case.
It depends on when the jury gets the case. If closing arguments take up the morning, and they go to lunch before beginning to deliberate, it could go into a second day, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see it end tomorrow evening. If they are close, I expect they will ask to be allowed to continue deliberating into the evening. I predict 6 hours, at most, and perhaps as few as about 4, but it will be a guilty verdict. JMO

Last edited:
I’m very curious about where the dog was when he testified. And also why he brought the dog in the first place. Possible change to his “I don’t like camera people” persona to a friendlier “I’m a doggy person” version. Interesting. But I don’t want to bash him. IMO he’s another victim of KA. I don’t think he has any blame in this and he probably feels a lot of guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper