TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just viewing his webpage looking to see where he is licensed and I couldn’t find it, but I could have easily missed it.

He writes in his bio that his cases “never see the front pages of the newspaper, they just go away” (paraphrasing). Well alrighty then.
Cocky, much? I will be very surprised if this case "just goes away". I think his client is likely to "just go away", but for a lot longer than 43 days next time. JMO

Last edited:
I was just viewing his webpage looking to see where he is licensed and I couldn’t find it, but I could have easily missed it.

He writes in his bio that his cases “never see the front pages of the newspaper, they just go away” (paraphrasing). Well alrighty then.
I hope there’s no way that he can make this one can go away. Seriously, this was a violent murder. It’s not like the two were fighting and she killed her by accident. And then the unlawful flight, the passport. And Moriah’s family deserves decent justice.

I used to know an attorney who was licensed in about 3 or more states. I’m not sure that was on his website, though.

I don't think CS would have left KA for MW.
I agree. It was Mo asking CS in January what is going on, does he just want to be friends, did he get her texts, etc. Mo was clearly confused and wanted to talk it out. Because she assumed they had something. IMO. Mo. probably felt misled. If Mo didn’t want to be involved with CS she would have been relieved he was there with his GF and wouldn’t have sent that text asking for clarification. And his response, “this was a mistake” - I wonder if he meant his involvement with Mo was a mistake or bringing KA to that January event was a mistake?

I agree. It was Mo asking CS in January what is going on, does he just want to be friends, did he get her texts, etc. Mo was clearly confused and wanted to talk it out. Because she assumed they had something. IMO. Mo. probably felt misled. If Mo didn’t want to be involved with CS she would have been relieved he was there with his GF and wouldn’t have sent that text asking for clarification. And his response, “this was a mistake” - I wonder if he meant his involvement with Mo was a mistake or bringing KA to that January event was a mistake?
I’m thinking Mo must have had strong feelings for CS, because why else bother with a man who has a jealous girlfriend who blocks your texts and warns you to stay away? I’m sure CS was whitewashing the situation, but even so…

I think he meant that it was a mistake to have KA with him. That’s how I took it. She probably insisted on coming if she knew MW would be there.
Poor Moriah had no idea of the degree of danger in the situation. She would never have gone swimming with CS on May 11 if she’d had any idea.

I hope there’s no way that he can make this one can go away. Seriously, this was a violent murder. It’s not like the two were fighting and she killed her by accident. And then the unlawful flight, the passport. And Moriah’s family deserves decent justice.

I used to know an attorney who was licensed in about 3 or more states. I’m not sure that was on his website, though.
I’m with you. I can’t see how he can make this one just “go away”. I think the best he could hope for is getting her a plea deal, although I don’t know what that might be, and the prosecutes may have so much evidence against her that they wouldn’t even offer a deal.

Moriah’s family indeed deserve justice.

Was just pondering here - KA obviously has retained her attorney. And her sister will need one, as will Colin. Seems like from what I've read that KA could get hers for free if he opted to take on a high profile case pro bono for the exposure. What will the others have to pay for theirs??? So they can thank Kaitlin for getting them roped into this financial mess as I doubt any of their attorneys will assist them for free. What type of money are Colin and Christie (and anyone else??) looking at, roughly, to have to fork out?
5k to start with, maybe 10 k, anyone else guess?

Last edited:
I see what you mean.. the bolded “in hindsight” line *could* be taken to mean his relationship with MW wasn’t a good idea.

There was a text message of an event where Wilson saw Strickland and Armstrong, and Wilson sent Strickland a message.

“Hey! Sooo I would like to talk to you at some point. I had originally texted you on Friday but appears my texts aren’t going through again. This weekend was strange for me and I just want to know what’s going on. If you just want to be friends (seems to be the case) then that’s cool, but I’d like to talk about it cause honestly my mind has been going circles and I don’t know what to think.”

The next day Strickland wrote, “Hey Mo- I feel very sh*tty for putting you in a position where you don’t feel comfortable. Kaitlin came along the go to a meeting about the sprinter/spartan hotel project. In hindsight, this was not a good idea.”

The affidavit says that based off of this conversation Wilson appeared “under the impression she was still in a romantic relationship with Strickland even though he was currently dating Armstrong.”

ABC Nightline covering this story right now. @GioBenitez
Nothing new.

Mo was quiet until got to know her.
CS being shown on a Flow promo video.
Mo interview with gravel company.
CS says relationship with MW was platonic.
Neighbor Michael Harris short interview - CC neighborhood quiet.
Michael Armstrong revisit of KA not capable of this.
Person who gave passport could face charges unless it was stolen.
Immigration official interviewed said KA may have tried to disappear in CR.
Signs of “Consciousness of guilt“ - fleeing Texas, NY, her face.
CS releases statement “will continue cooperation etc“.
KA deported.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch.

Her defense attorney is going to have a picnic with that since the passport was actually left behind. Obviously she took the passport and used it, but it wasn’t exactly found with her at the time of the arrest. It was left behind in a locker. I worry he will try to get this charge dropped.

Same here. If they let her go because the Botox charge had an incorrect entry regarding her birthdate, here we go with this! Maybe they won't drop the charge, but it could become a mess of back and forth during a trial.

Respectfully, that's not how evidence works when the defendant left Witness-1's passport used to enter Costa Rica illegally (and her own passport) inside a lockbox at her hostel.

First, the US doesn't have jurisdiction in Costa Rica. Rather than charge KA for an immigration violation as evidenced by KA presenting the fraudulent document scanned during her entry, Costa Rica officials simply deported her out of the country.

The crime KA was actually charged with in the US District Court, District of New Jersey, violation of 18 USC 1544, willfully and knowingly use, or attempt to use, a passport issued or designed for the use of another,
occurred when KA presented a fraudulent PP as her own identification for the purpose of boarding a flight to Costa Rica.

The electronic evidence of KA violating the USC Statute is secure. No other individual except KA used Witness-1's passport on May 18. Nobody else carried the fraudulent PP and coincidentally locked it next to the bunk KA slept in.

To worry the charges could be dropped, without the passport(s) in hand, is like saying a perp that steals a vehicle and leaves it abandoned in a roadside ditch can't be charged with grand theft auto because they were not apprehended inside the vehicle! In order to convict the perp, the prosecutor only needs to prove the defendant took or drove a vehicle that belonged to someone else, without their permission, and with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of the vehicle.

Also, a US Passport at all times remains the property of the United States and must be returned to the U.S. Government upon demand. By all accounts, with the assistance of Costa Rican officials, the US Passports for Witness-1 and KA are secure and in evidence.

For this case alone, KA is facing charges in two different federal courts as well as the State District Court -- it's the norm and prosecutors do not become confused. KA's theft case will not impede her murder case.

Arrest warrants do not typically expire. KA's outstanding warrant dated April 12, 2018, for Theft of Service, was corrected and executed by Houston police on July 2, 2022.

KA already appeared before a Harris County Magistrate on July 2, 2022, and once KA was charged in Travis County and committed to the custody of the Sheriff of Travis County, the warrant was canceled -- she's in custody! The charges haven't gone away, the case remains active.

1657341512212.png

County Court at Law #5
Case Summary
Case No. C-1-CR-18-150969

ST v ARMSTRONG,KAITLIN MARIE
Judicial Officer: County Court at Law, #5
Filed on: 04/30/2018

Case Type:Misdemeanor
Subtype:WARRANT ARREST
Case Status:07/02/2022 Active

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. Will she be tried on the Federal charges in New Jersey and/or in Texas? If Jersey, will she have to retain a different attorney who is licensed there? How does this work?

Attorneys are not expected to be members in good standing of every state bar and are more than prepared to add appropriate representation to a defense case when required.

For example, most recently, I noted that in KA's charge for Flight to avoid prosecution (18 USC 1073), filed on 5/25/22 in US District Court, Western District of Texas, KA's defense attorney, Richard Lyn Cofer, II (Cofer & Connelly PLLC) filed notice as lead attorney on 7/2/22, and a second attorney- Naomi Howard (Naomi Howard, P.C.), was added to party KA, defendant, a few days later. Perhaps Ms. Howard is admitted to practice in New Jersey.

It's actually the Constitution of the United States, Article III. Section 2, that provides:

"The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed;..."

However, while numerous statutes have since been enacted to regulate the venue of criminal proceedings, allowing the case to be prosecuted in another venue, such as the Western District of Texas, for the convenience of the defendant and her attorneys, would be a decision for the court.

IMO, I doubt such motion by the defense would be granted.

CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:22-mj-00515-SH-1

On 5/25/22, KA was charged in US District Court, Western District of TX (Austin), pursuant to:
18 US Code § 1073 - Flight to avoid prosecution

Richard Lyn Cofer, filed attorney notice of appearance on 7/2/22, and Naomi Howard, P.C. filed attorney notice of appearance on 7/4/22.

I downloaded the arrest warrant affidavit back when it was first reported in the news, and it shows the bail was set at $3,500 when it was issued.

View attachment 352572

Reading the AA for KA's theft of service (Botox) on 3/6/18, it appears that KA was not an established patient at this clinic, the procedure most likely cosmetic in nature, and therefore medical insurance not applicable and/or presented.

I wonder if KA pulled this drive-by scheme before? Given the low-level offense (Class B misdemeanor), I can see providers thinking the time and effort to report the theft, not worth the interruption, and just write off the loss. MOO

I knew a yoga instructor who was an alcoholic. But in general, the distribution of human qualities is the same in any given group, it is what people choose to use to cope with issues that differs.

Too bad she didn’t take it to the yoga mat that day instead of driving over and killing Mo.
It’s absolutely frightening what she has done.
The entitlement of not sticking around to be held accountable coupled with presenting herself as a peaceful ethereal downward dog.

MOO

NEW: Austin Police issue new search warrant for murder suspect Kaitlin Armstrong. Detectives want DNA samples to compare DNA collected at the east Austin where Moriah Wilson was shot dead.

In the search warrant, detectives said Wilson suffered possibly multiple gunshot wounds to the head and possibly one to the chest. Detectives said there was broken tile, indicating she could’ve been shot after she hit the ground. She had a cut on her finger and her chin.

Ricky Garcia KXAN Austin
What is deeply disturbing about the information Garcia relates is that it reveals poor Mo was likely shot in the head multiple times AFTER falling to the floor and being rendered defenseless. A disturbing image and indeed makes Armstrong seem as Deputy Filla says, “the worst of the worst”.

While the two were competitors during races, they were also friends. Grant said Wilson had a great personality.

"She had a quiet confidence that attracted people. People just liked her, I liked her. She was humble," said Grant.

Grant said the cycling community is tight-knit, and Wilson will be greatly missed.

"Moriah’s loss is certainly a huge tragedy," said Grant

She said Wilson will always be remembered.

"She had a respectable integrity, and I want that to be associated with her name," she said.

Plea deal at some point? Accepting life without parole vs. going to trial with death penalty as a possibility?
Texas is a state that knows how to do the death penalty.
I can't find the information for Texas specifically, but google says, "Death-qualified juries are composed of jurors who are not strictly opposed to capital punishment but who also do not believe that the death penalty should be imposed in all cases of capital murder."
This case seems to be headed to notoriety. There have been some major headlines above the fold in the Austin American Statesman.

5k to start with, maybe 10 k, anyone else guess?

I think much higher to start. Both as legal counsel, and with his associate counsels, they must already be doing an incredible amount of research, I'm guessing they are already in Costa Rica interviewing people and building their case. All this is very costly.

I think Mo likely attempted to run and lock herself in the bathroom, and Armstrong made sure that didn’t happen. Very disturbing image. I think Garcia used his press credentials and contacts to view the warrant which is not available to the public online.

Plea deal at some point? Accepting life without parole vs. going to trial with death penalty as a possibility?
Texas is a state that knows how to do the death penalty.
I can't find the information for Texas specifically, but google says, "Death-qualified juries are composed of jurors who are not strictly opposed to capital punishment but who also do not believe that the death penalty should be imposed in all cases of capital murder."
This case seems to be headed to notoriety. There have been some major headlines above the fold in the Austin American Statesman.
They would need to upgrade her charges from first-degree murder to capital murder to warrant the death penalty. Many states like New Jersey give the death penalty for first-degree, and I’m surprised Texas does not. According to a Fox News broadcast linked upthread, prosecutors may indeed upgrade KA’s charges.

I think the attorey is talking about the kind of cases like DUI, etc. where well known members of the community are looking for an attorney who will understand the sensitivity of their cases and not seek publicity and attend to their privacy needs. Remember, this is his website where he is marketing his firm, so to speak, and the first contact most potential clients will have with his form as they look for an Austin-based local attorney. All attorneys have lots of competition for clients in a big city, and I think he is just trying to reach out to them to assure them that he will do his best to discreetly resolve their case. But I don't think he has designed this website for murder cases and is referring to those potential clients.

I think if he can reduce the charge and sentencing for KA, that will be quite an accomplishment for him and his law firm, and that is his goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColeTyler