Found Alive TX - Rudolph 'Rudy' Farias, 17, Houston, 6 March 2015 *found beaten and unresponsive in 2023*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all my years on Websleuths this in one of the most hearbreaking cases I've followed. My only hope is that Rudy gets the best of care and someday can live a happy life that he so deserves. Those monsters who tortured him need to suffer in the hottest depths of suffering possible. May some Peace to all of the family surround them in the years ahead.

I’m curious to know how he was re-connected with his family, if he was consulted in that decision or mentally able to consent to it or not.

Not to be a wet blanket here but it seems to me a very likely scenario with someone who disappears for eight years and says he goes by a different name (and who was found unconscious rather than making the decision to return to his family) is that he wanted out, regardless of any other issues.

It seems more likely to me than him being held captive for that long in some capacity, for ex. Or than him being out on the streets, too mentally ill to ever find his way home or be found for eight whole years.

Any more indications (or just thoughts) on that, either way?

Last edited:
One thing that makes me think he was abducted and he's been through something truly horrific (as opposed to suffering mental health issues and leaving on his own) is that he seems to have been so well articulated and bright right up until he disappeared.
In his posts he had no problems talking about what he thought and how he felt about his brother's death.
A lot of sadness but also knowledge his brother was watching over him and they would meet again someday.
He doesn't come across as someone who's consumed with grief and can't cope.
Of course a mental breakdown can happen suddenly but if the family posts are correct that is unlikely what happened here.
If someone did this to him I hope they're caught quickly because I don't think this would be their only victim.
I can’t figure this one out either. I just found out about this one last week. After going down the rabbit hole this weekend. Not only had he lost his brother to a motorcycle accident and apparently he and his mom showed up to the accident right before his brother died, but his father had also recently committed suicide. Him and three other officers were scamming the department of overtime and an IA investigation was starting. His father shot himself in his patrol car. He posted that he didn’t know his father. But as a young person, there was probably hope to eventually mend that bridge. That was taken away with his fathers death. This could have pushed him mentally over the edge. But I’m the other had, he seemed to love his mother too much to have just taken off.

Houston Police tweets location where Rudy was found:
Rudy Farias was found about 10 p.m. last Thurs (June 29) outside a church on 76th St. at Ave. L.

HPD missing persons investigators plan to speak with Rudy & his family on Weds to determine his whereabouts since he was reported missing in 2015.

Any updates will be posted here.

I’m curious to know how he was re-connected with his family, if he was consulted in that decision or mentally able to consent to it or not.

Not to be a wet blanket here but it seems to me a very likely scenario with someone who disappears for eight years and says he goes by a different name (and who was found unconscious rather than making the decision to return to his family) is that he wanted out, regardless of any other issues.

Given that he is also saying that he is 14 along with the different name, that makes me put less weight on the possibility that he was trying to start a new life and leave his family and that there are other issues at hand.

Man found alive 8 years after going missing was spotted by family in 2018, Houston police say​

According to HPD, officers got a call from Rudy Farias' family in 2018 after he was spotted living behind a family's home. When officials arrived at the location, they didn't find the missing man.
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A Houston family got miraculous news over the weekend, eight years after a 17-year-old went missing in northwest Houston. Now, the mystery surrounding his re-appearance is making national headlines.
Now-25-year-old Rudy Farias is recovering in the hospital.
In an update on Monday, Houston police said there was a reported sighting of the missing man by his family back in 2018, years after he was first went missing.
On Sunday night, ABC13 spoke to Farias' mother on the phone, who shared pictures of him in a hospital bed and said someone called 911 after finding him outside a church, unresponsive in southeast Houston on Thursday.

<modsnip: Copyright violation of more than 10% of article>

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest abc13 huston article has so.e additional information

According to HPD, officers got a call from Farias' family in September 2018 after he was spotted living behind a family's home. When officials arrived at the location, they didn't find the missing man...

Houston police confirmed that Farias was found at the church located on 76th and Avenue K on Thursday. A caller told authorities that someone was sleeping outside the church front doors. HPD says that Farias had an item on him with a family member's identification which is how they were able to contact his family.

The Houston Fire Department also responded to that initial call. They told ABC13 that police and Farias' mother were on the scene when they got there. Officials said Farias declined to be taken to the hospital, and was instead signed into the care of his mother.

Man found alive 8 years after going missing was spotted by family in 2018, Houston police say​

According to HPD, officers got a call from Rudy Farias' family in 2018 after he was spotted living behind a family's home. When officials arrived at the location, they didn't find the missing man.
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A Houston family got miraculous news over the weekend, eight years after a 17-year-old went missing in northwest Houston. Now, the mystery surrounding his re-appearance is making national headlines.
In an update on Monday, Houston police said there was a reported sighting of the missing man by his family back in 2018, years after he was first went missing.
On Sunday night, ABC13 spoke to Farias' mother on the phone, who shared pictures of him in a hospital bed and said someone called 911 after finding him outside a church, unresponsive in southeast Houston on Thursday.

ABC13 spoke to the mom of the now-25-year-old man, who shared pictures of him in a hospital bed after she said someone found him outside a church unresponsive.

The mother added he was found with cuts and bruises all over his body and blood in his hair and believes he was badly abused and beaten.
Farias' mother said his brother was killed in a motorcycle crash in 2011. Farias reportedly wore a necklace from his brother ever since he passed, and he was still wearing it when he was found over the weekend.
She said Farias, who hasn't said much since he was found, keeps holding onto the necklace.
13456304_070323-ktrk-tn-missing-man-found-necklace-img.jpg

Farias was 17 years old when he was walking his two dogs near Tidwell and Park Drive on March 6, 2015. His family reported him missing after his dogs were recovered, but Farias was not found.
In 2015, authorities reported Farias was diagnosed with depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and anxiety. Texas EquuSearch began asking the public for help finding him, noting that he was possibly disoriented and hadn't been taking his medication.
Authorities said they temporarily suspended the search for the then-17-year-old on March 10, 2015, while they worked to gather more information. Two days later, on March 12, the hunt continued and ended the next day.
On March 13, 2015, authorities thanked searchers for their commitment while looking for Farias in rain-soaked fields.
Two years after Farias went missing, his mother told ABC13 she was worried for her own safety and thought there was something suspicious about her son's disappearance.
According to HPD, officers got a call from Farias' family in September 2018 after he was spotted living behind a family's home. When officials arrived at the location, they didn't find the missing man.
Nearly five years later, on Sunday, July 2, 2023, authorities confirmed that Farias was located and safe, though questions remain about where he had been for all of those years.
Houston police confirmed that Farias was found at the church located on 76th and Avenue K on Thursday. A caller told authorities that someone was sleeping outside the church front doors. HPD says that Farias had an item on him with a family member's identification which is how they were able to contact his family.
The Houston Fire Department also responded to that initial call. They told ABC13 that police and Farias' mother were on the scene when they got there. Officials said Farias declined to be taken to the hospital, and was instead signed into the care of his mother.
Farias' mother on Sunday said they have tried talking to him, but he will only say a few words and go into a fetal position. She said it would be a long healing journey but is thankful her son has been found alive.
It's unclear if investigators have had a chance to interview him.
HPD said it is not actively involved in the investigation, though the Texas Center for the Missing is. ABC13 reached out to them for more information about the case.

So odd he was seen in a family member's backyard in 2018. I don't remember the family ever reporting this sighting on the FB page or elsewhere??

According to HPD, officers got a call from Rudy Farias' family in 2018 after he was spotted living behind a family's home.

I'm reading this as someone reported they thought they saw him behind their home, not that it was the home of anyone related to him. Could that have been a false sighting? It doesn't say who saw "him."

I'm not sure what could have happened to him all these years, but I don't think he's just been living homeless in the same area where he disappeared. I think LE would have probably located him sooner. Just my current opinion, though.

The latest abc13 huston article has so.e additional information

According to HPD, officers got a call from Farias' family in September 2018 after he was spotted living behind a family's home. When officials arrived at the location, they didn't find the missing man...

How in the world did the mother get there before the fire department? <modsnip: No link to an approved source re information stated as fact>This is bizarre

Last edited by a moderator:
So odd he was seen in a family member's backyard in 2018. I don't remember the family ever reporting this sighting on the FB page or elsewhere??
He wasn't located at that time so maybe it wasn't a sighting but a (false) suspicion. It wouldn't be the first family of a missing person to point fingers within. Tensions are high. (Clarification upthread, reported sighting in A backyard. That makes more sense.)

I'm just glad he's been found and is getting care. Perhaps he's been sedated because he's combative? Can't fathom the level of trauma here....

May the long path to recovery be soft and steady....

He's been through enough (as I imagine the worst and prepare myself for still worse than that).

JMO

Last edited:

ABC13 spoke to the mom of the now-25-year-old man, who shared pictures of him in a hospital bed after she said someone found him outside a church unresponsive.

The mother added he was found with cuts and bruises all over his body and blood in his hair and believes he was badly abused and beaten.
Farias' mother said his brother was killed in a motorcycle crash in 2011. Farias reportedly wore a necklace from his brother ever since he passed, and he was still wearing it when he was found over the weekend.
She said Farias, who hasn't said much since he was found, keeps holding onto the necklace.
13456304_070323-ktrk-tn-missing-man-found-necklace-img.jpg

Farias was 17 years old when he was walking his two dogs near Tidwell and Park Drive on March 6, 2015. His family reported him missing after his dogs were recovered, but Farias was not found.
In 2015, authorities reported Farias was diagnosed with depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and anxiety. Texas EquuSearch began asking the public for help finding him, noting that he was possibly disoriented and hadn't been taking his medication.
Authorities said they temporarily suspended the search for the then-17-year-old on March 10, 2015, while they worked to gather more information. Two days later, on March 12, the hunt continued and ended the next day.
On March 13, 2015, authorities thanked searchers for their commitment while looking for Farias in rain-soaked fields.
Two years after Farias went missing, his mother told ABC13 she was worried for her own safety and thought there was something suspicious about her son's disappearance.
According to HPD, officers got a call from Farias' family in September 2018 after he was spotted living behind a family's home. When officials arrived at the location, they didn't find the missing man.
Nearly five years later, on Sunday, July 2, 2023, authorities confirmed that Farias was located and safe, though questions remain about where he had been for all of those years.
Farias' mother on Sunday said they have tried talking to him, but he will only say a few words and go into a fetal position. She said it would be a long healing journey but is thankful her son has been found alive.
It's unclear if investigators have had a chance to interview him.
HPD said it is not actively involved in the investigation, though the Texas Center for the Missing is. ABC13 reached out to them for more information about the case.
Rudy refused to go to the hospital and he went home with his mother. I thought that he was unresponsive. I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
california_girl