TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They often shoot 10 - 20 people in one weekend? Do you have any links? I haven't heard this number before.

It happens A LOT. There were 63 people shot in Chicago on the 4 day holiday weekend on 4th of July. Let that sink in a minute. :eek:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/7/...ursday-evening

10 dead, 53 injured in Fourth of July weekend shootings

Fourth of July weekend shootings left 10 people dead — including a 7-year-old boy — and at least 53 others injured from Thursday evening to early Monday.

All this violence is heartbreaking. And it offers a good reminder that what we're doing is NOT working.

Is CNN and ChicagoSun OK? They are not right wing political websites, right?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/06/us/chicago-violent-weekend/

Gruesome weekend for Chicago leaves city, police chief reeling
By Holly Yan and Leslie Holland, CNN
Updated 10:29 PM ET, Mon July 6, 2015

When a city has eight killings in two days, including the death of a 7-year-old boy, something is seriously wrong with the system.

That's what Chicago's police chief said after a spate of bloodshed that tormented the city over the weekend.

"We need to repair a broken system," Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy told reporters Sunday. "Criminals don't feel the repercussions of the justice system."

Take, for example, the death of 7-year-old Amari Brown. McCarthy said the boy was the unintended victim of a bullet meant for his father, a ranking gang member.

The system failed Amari, the police chief said. Amari's father, who has been arrested 45 times and has a lengthy criminal record, should not have been on the streets, McCarthy said.

======================================================================

So go ahead Montjoy, tell me again how peaceful and lovely Chicago is, and how I am ignoring the 'facts..'

=======================================================================

http://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/7/...ursday-evening

10 dead, 53 injured in Fourth of July weekend shootings

Fourth of July weekend shootings left 10 people dead — including a 7-year-old boy — and at least 53 others injured from Thursday evening to early Monday.
======================================================================

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings

JAN. 1, 2014 - DEC. 31, 2014
shooting victims

JAN. 1, 2015 - JULY 26, 2015

shooting victims so far

======================================
Hey, love how you say it is 'only in the gang areas'-----YOU MEAN ONLY IN THE POOR AREAS? SIXTY THREE people were shot 4th of July weekend!

But that's not what I am talking about. I am talking about a new trend, stemming from the recent protests, IMO, in which some people WANT TO FIGHT cops. I am not just talking about people being mad or upset. I am talking about cops going to answer calls and being met with people who want to physically fight them, in situations that usually would not warrant that.

For example, I heard a recent story about cops getting a call about a teen that had been asked to leave a restaurant because he was going up to patrons asking them for money and bothering them. The cop arrived and asked him to leave. He said NO, make me. When the cop tried to detain him the kid began trying to head butt him and bite him, while the kids friend filmed it.

The cops biggest fear was that he was going to become the next Darron Wilson.

https://www.facebook.com/sandra.bland.5070/videos/vb.73304051/10100606822929514/?type=2&theater

"mind yall I been in this same spot for three hours, THREE HOURS......." https://www.facebook.com/sandra.bland.5070/videos/vb.73304051/10100606818144104/?type=2&theater

We're going off on a tangent here but it seems to me that this is another thing boiling down to violent/gun culture. I just don't get why so many U.S. residents (from what I hear) are against gun control/restrictions. Doesn't it simply mean mutual fear/mistrust?

For once I'm glad to live here - the mayor of London has just been told by the home office he can't use the water cannon he purchased for disorder. Just for comparison.

All this violence is heartbreaking. And it offers a good reminder that what we're doing is NOT working.

Of course it is heartbreaking. But the reason I am posting it is because it is the kind of thing that many of our cops have to face down every night. It keeps them on edge. So people here can laugh and make fun of the idea that a cop might be afraid that a driver could pull out a gun during a traffic stop. But it is a very REAL fear for them.

Of course it is heartbreaking. But the reason I am posting it is because it is the kind of thing that many of our cops have to face down every night. It keeps them on edge. So people here can laugh and make fun of the idea that a cop might be afraid that a driver could pull out a gun during a traffic stop. But it is a very REAL fear for them.

Try to imagine living in a city with that level of violence and knowing not only can you not trust the police sometimes they are the enemy.

Friday, day of her arrest, Sandra Bland spoke with her friend with whom she just moved in with, a bondsman who says he called her mom, that's 3 people on Friday... then on Saturday after going before the judge and bond amnt, placed call that went to vm to her friend she just moved in with (he says he had 2 missed calls, unsure when the other and spoke with one of her 4 sisters.....

Snip
Bland's bail had been set at $5,000 and she was upset that she wasn't getting return phone calls about posting it. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-eating-texas-jail-prisoner-article-1.2304097

Curious how much $ the friend was paid for his vm to the media? Or the person who video the arrest with his/her cell phone. All the friends and loved ones who are now on the media tour, yet no one came to Sandra Bland's aid in the 3 days she was in jail and then ended her life. So sad, her movement that she so much stood up for in life failed her when she needed them, yet rally for their agenda in her death. I feel great empathy for what she must have felt, so bad that she took her own life. JMHO

Try to imagine living in a city with that level of violence and knowing not only can you not trust the police sometimes they are the enemy.

And where do you get that idea? Do you think the police are 'the enemy' to anyone but the gang members?

Is it now provocative to assert your rights?

I'm going to light you up = Polite Police Officer
Why am I being arrested? = Rude provocative citizen.

Embedded in a scab! Wth.

Sandra Bland had a spaghetti strap type dress on, she was on the ground, guessing when she showered she didn't get the abrasions cleaned good. JMHO
Scab
noun 1.the incrustation that forms over a sore or wound during healing. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scab

Embedded
verb (used without object), embedded, embedding.
9.to be or become fixed or incorporated, as into a surrounding mass: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/embedded?s=t

from Autopsy report, pg 4/11
lll. HEALING BLUNT INJURIES: The superior right shoulder has a 1 inch oval faint purple contusion and underlying red-brown subcutaneous hemorrhage. A 5 by 6 inch area of the right upper back contains multiple scabbed horizontal linear and irregular abrasions ranging from 1/4 to 1-1/2 inch. A 3 inch area of faint red-brown patchy subcutaneous hemorrhage underlies this area of abrasions. A fragment of foreign material consistent with plant (dried leaf) material is adherent to one of the healing abrasions of the upper back, and measures approximately 1/4 inch in greatest dimension. It is photographed an submitted to evidence in an envelope labeled "Foreign material from scabbed area of the upper back".

Come on, he does deserve at least a D- for initiative, insofar as nobody told him to pull Sandra over or work so heroically to find a way to justify his arrest.

Are there no 'G' grades?

No, just A, B, C, D, and F.

I dono, he was really putting a lot of work into finding a trumped up charge to charge her with. I've got to give him a C for that. Maybe a C- though.

Friday, day of her arrest, Sandra Bland spoke with her friend with whom she just moved in with, a bondsman who says he called her mom, that's 3 people on Friday... then on Saturday after going before the judge and bond amnt, placed call that went to vm to her friend she just moved in with (he says he had 2 missed calls, unsure when the other and spoke with one of her 4 sisters.....

Snip
Bland's bail had been set at $5,000 and she was upset that she wasn't getting return phone calls about posting it. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-eating-texas-jail-prisoner-article-1.2304097

Curious how much $ the friend was paid for his vm to the media? Or the person who video the arrest with his/her cell phone. All the friends and loved ones who are now on the media tour, yet no one came to Sandra Bland's aid in the 3 days she was in jail and then ended her life. So sad, her movement that she so much stood up for in life failed her when she needed them, yet rally for their agenda in her death. I feel great empathy for what she must have felt, so bad that she took her own life. JMHO

Thanks for sharing this. I have been thinking along the same lines.

I'm not totally comfortable with accepting the statements of the "woman who was in an adjoining cubicle;" and I wonder if Sandra's friends and family perhaps didn't realize how long three days in jail might seem.

My heart goes out to them, though. I don't mean to put this on them. This is so tragic.

I'm confused or tired perhaps.

I keep reading posts that continue to say (paraphrasing) "SB refused to put out her cigarette when asked."

Actually, she did not refuse. Not one time. At least not what I heard from the dashcam video and at least not per this transcript from this link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sandra-bland-arrest-transcript_55b03a88e4b0a9b94853b1f1

This is the part of the transcript I am referring to:

Encinia: You mind putting out your cigarette, please? If you don't mind?

Bland: I'm in my car, why do I have to put out my cigarette?

Encinia: Well you can step on out now.

*SB is asking this LEO a question. Really. BE just couldn't muster enough professionalism and patience at this point to ANSWER her question and explain why he is asking her to? I don't understand this one bit. According to the exchange I heard and what is transcribed in this article she is asking, what I believe IMO, to be a valid question. Instead of simply answering her question he responds with what I consider aggression. IMO BE is the provoker among other things from start to finish.

I wanted to point out this exchange between SB and BE because after reading through this entire thread tonight I've seen it stated (paraphrased) over and over how SB was this and that when she "refused" to put out her cigarette. Nope, she asked the person in authority, in charge, the person with the badge that should know the answer "I'm in my car, WHY do I have to put out my cigarette?"

I'm speculating he met that question with aggression because he had no good answer (because if he did wouldn't it just be easier and not to mention more professional to simply answer her question and go from there?) She did not refuse to do what he asked. BE REFUSED to answer her question and/or explain why an officer would ask that. Perhaps, if he took the time to answer her question she would have said "Ok" and put it out. We don't know and will never know what would have happened if he chose to do that.

Additionally, with this exchange:

Encinia: OK, ma'am. (Pause.) You OK?

Bland: I'm waiting on you. This is your job. I'm waiting on you. When're you going to let me go?

Encinia: I don't know, you seem very really irritated.

Bland: I am. I really am. I feel like it's crap what I'm getting a ticket for. I was getting out of your way. You were speeding up, tailing me, so I move over and you stop me. So yeah, I am a little irritated, but that doesn’t stop you from giving me a ticket, so [inaudible] ticket.

Encinia: Are you done?

Bland: You asked me what was wrong, now I told you.

* I can understand SB's frustration when she explains why she is irritated by this stop. TO ME it seems in her mind she was doing the right thing by moving over a lane because she thought he needed to get by. I absolutely know one must signal when changing lanes. With that said, I also know when I see or hear an ambulance, fire truck or police coming from behind me my reaction is to get out of their way and quickly. I get all nervous about getting out of their way as I would never want to hold them up in an emergency situation. I know I've nervously and quickly changed lanes aka to me "getting out of their way" and not signaled the lane change. So, I can absolutely see the frustration when one truly thinks they're or they were doing the right thing but it turns out they were not. Again, instead of responding with "Are you done?" BE missed another opportunity to be a professional and explain to her what he observed while pulling her over, why he did, etc. Also, I know I would have gotten mouthy with BE when he asks what is wrong and I give my honest answer and he replies back with
"Are you done?" Well, if you didn't want to hear why I seem soooo irritated why did you ask?!?" I probably would have been a little more blunt than SB was to be frank. Because I know my rights. I know the laws. I would be beyond "irritated" that this LEO is not answering any of my questions and even worse than that he is meeting my questions with what I believe to be extreme, unnecessary aggression. He is asking me "what is wrong?" Yet, gets all nasty when I choose to actually answer him.
I have very close family members that are currently in LE and a few that are now retired. I respect LEO's just as I do every other human being. But from where I come from Respect is earned not given..badge or no badge.

JMO, MOO, IMHO and all of that.

Encinia: Come read right over here. This right here says 'a warning.' You started creating the problems.

Bland: You asked me what was wrong! ***:thinking: umm that was when he asked for DL/Insur, asked was ok, when returned.. so is that her reason for being rude and non compliant? appears so. JMHO

Encinia: Do you have anything on your person that's illegal?

Bland: Do I feel like I have anything on me? This a fxxking maxi dress.

Encinia: I’m going to remove your glasses.

Bland: This a maxi dress. (Inaudible) Fxxking *******s.

Encinia: Come over here.

Bland: You about to break my wrist. Can you stop? You’re about to ****ing break my wrist! Stop!!!

Encinia: Stop now! Stop it! If you would stop resisting.

Female officer: Stop resisting ma’am.

Bland: (cries) For a f xxxx traffic ticket, you are such a pxxxxy. You are such a pxxxxy.

Female officer: No, you are. You should not be fighting. ***JMHO female was wrong for these words...***

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sandra-bland-arrest-transcript_55b03a88e4b0a9b94853b1f1

I'm only speaking for myself, but I have never thought or said she was murdered. I think it's entirely possible that she had a closed head wound from her encounter with BE or she had a seizure and died. And then the jail staff freaked out because they knew they had been negligent. I think they thought the lesser of the evils was to make it look like she hung herself in a couple of hours when they didn't check on her rather than that they failed to provide medical care over a 3 day period.

This is all just my hypothesis based on how weird all the information that has come out so far is. I don't think that county is a good place for people of color. I hope I'm wrong.

But if quoting you, I dont think that county is a good place for "people of color". Does that mean all colors? or what. Can't segregate by color, that would be wrong. As would by race. JMHO

I'm confused or tired perhaps.

I keep reading posts that continue to say (paraphrasing) "SB refused to put out her cigarette when asked."

Actually, she did not refuse. Not one time. At least not what I heard from the dashcam video and at least not per this transcript from this link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sandra-bland-arrest-transcript_55b03a88e4b0a9b94853b1f1

This is the part of the transcript I am referring to:

Encinia: You mind putting out your cigarette, please? If you don't mind?

Bland: I'm in my car, why do I have to put out my cigarette?

Encinia: Well you can step on out now.

*SB is asking this LEO a question. Really. BE just couldn't muster enough professionalism and patience at this point to ANSWER her question and explain why he is asking her to? I don't understand this one bit. According to the exchange I heard and what is transcribed in this article she is asking, what I believe IMO, to be a valid question. Instead of simply answering her question he responds with what I consider aggression. IMO BE is the provoker among other things from start to finish.

I wanted to point out this exchange between SB and BE because after reading through this entire thread tonight I've seen it stated (paraphrased) over and over how SB was this and that when she "refused" to put out her cigarette. Nope, she asked the person in authority, in charge, the person with the badge that should know the answer "I'm in my car, WHY do I have to put out my cigarette?"

I'm speculating he met that question with aggression because he had no good answer (because if he did wouldn't it just be easier and not to mention more professional to simply answer her question and go from there?) She did not refuse to do what he asked. BE REFUSED to answer her question and/or explain why an officer would ask that. Perhaps, if he took the time to answer her question she would have said "Ok" and put it out. We don't know and will never know what would have happened if he chose to do that.

Additionally, with this exchange:

Encinia: OK, ma'am. (Pause.) You OK?

Bland: I'm waiting on you. This is your job. I'm waiting on you. When're you going to let me go?

Encinia: I don't know, you seem very really irritated.

Bland: I am. I really am. I feel like it's crap what I'm getting a ticket for. I was getting out of your way. You were speeding up, tailing me, so I move over and you stop me. So yeah, I am a little irritated, but that doesn’t stop you from giving me a ticket, so [inaudible] ticket.

Encinia: Are you done?

Bland: You asked me what was wrong, now I told you.

* I can understand SB's frustration when she explains why she is irritated by this stop. TO ME it seems in her mind she was doing the right thing by moving over a lane because she thought he needed to get by. I absolutely know one must signal when changing lanes. With that said, I also know when I see or hear an ambulance, fire truck or police coming from behind me my reaction is to get out of their way and quickly. I get all nervous about getting out of their way as I would never want to hold them up in an emergency situation. I know I've nervously and quickly changed lanes aka to me "getting out of their way" and not signaled the lane change. So, I can absolutely see the frustration when one truly thinks they're or they were doing the right thing but it turns out they were not. Again, instead of responding with "Are you done?" BE missed another opportunity to be a professional and explain to her what he observed while pulling her over, why he did, etc. Also, I know I would have gotten mouthy with BE when he asks what is wrong and I give my honest answer and he replies back with
"Are you done?" Well, if you didn't want to hear why I seem soooo irritated why did you ask?!?" I probably would have been a little more blunt that SB was to be frank. Because I know my rights. I know the laws. I would be beyond "irritated" that this LEO is not answering any of my questions and even worse than that he is meeting my questions with what I believe to be extreme, unnecessary aggression. He is asking me "what is wrong?" Yet, gets all nasty when I choose to actually answer him.
I have very close family members that are currently in LE and a few that are now retired. I respect LEO's just as I do every other human being. But from where I come from Respect is earned not given..badge or no badge.

JMO, MOO, IMHO and all of that.

Great comment! This is similar to how I interpret the events, too.

BBM - In my experience, when law enforcement appears to be coming up fast behind you--they are either going to make you pull over or they are going to pass. From this, it makes me think that he did intend to stop her, in any event; and may have just used the excuse that she didn't signal the lane change as his "chance."

I dunno, though.

I have to say I doubt SB felt very respected when she was snatched and grabbed and thrown to the ground over a turn signal. IMO

The traffic stop was in reference to breaking the law of not using her turn signal changing lanes. Everything that happened after the stop had nothing to do with the traffic law she broke, she was only getting a warning for that. She was told many times to stand still so she could be handcuffed, any command the officer gave he had to give multiple times.

Encinia: Come read right over here. This right here says 'a warning.' You started creating the problems.

Bland: You asked me what was wrong! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sandra-bland-arrest-transcript_55b03a88e4b0a9b94853b1f1

When she was told to step out of the car and told she didn't have to is when things changed. JMHO

From her behavior and reading/watching her fb videos, I have no doubt she was going to bring about injustice. I get the feeling by her reaching out to family and friend, at least the one she just moved in with, she was let down that no one came to her rescue. Her friend even said she was looking for the witness that filmed it. It appears, her life didn't matter, at least to her. JMHO

As a foreigner, I may well not understand the chaos of your cities or the pressures of policing criminals with MS13s, (whatever they are), but I do understand what went wrong with that traffic stop.

He reacted to a woman with a cigarette as if she was a dangerous criminal with a dangerous weapon. He went straight from "please put out the cigarette" to "do as you're told or I'll light you up."

And that's a mistake that wouldn't be made by an officer who has been trained to police the public with no weapon. Send American police officers over to Ireland for a week and let them police the same way ours do, (and vice versa). I bet it would be interesting for both sides!

No comparison.

Ireland has some of the least permissive firearm legislation in Europe. In order to possess a limited range of hunting and sport-shooting firearms

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/cp/ireland

Ireland Demographics Profile 2014

http://www.indexmundi.com/ireland/demographics_profile.html

United States Demographics Profile 2014

http://www.indexmundi.com/united_states/demographics_profile.html

I agree. My point was even if she'd been seizure-free for months and was cleared to drive she still had epilepsy and precautions should have been taken and care given if she needed it.
Respectfully BBM, do you have a link to where her epilepsy was not taken care of at the jail or that she did not receive care if needed? Serious question. In this pic from video, it appears a little med type cup on the table. Could have been an aspirin for all we know. I haven't seen any medical reports/notes released from the Jail to support what medical care she received or didn't receive. Thanks in advance.
ws sandra bland med cup.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member