Found Deceased TX - Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, Fort Hood, 17 August 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am looking at it from the perspective of a guy that is in crisis! I work in mental health and frequently encounter pts with sexual trauma and unfortunately victims do feel like they want to hide it, especially if it just happened and they are in shock. This is now all over the internet. How would you feel?

Your comment of "Your attitude of 'don't tell because it will be bad for you' is exactly why this happens" was not needed. I put out a thought i had putting myself in Elder's situation.... and honestly thought this could be discussed. I was concerned that this would not go well.[/QUOTE
No, you are concerned that it being known that his being known to have been sexually assaulted should be hidden. Why should that be?

Yes, i am concerned because i fear that it may make it less likely for Elder to allow himself to be found IF he is missing voluntarily and is still alive. Based on lots of research evidence, male trauma survivors are very concerned with stigma, shame and rejection. They often do not disclose for decades. It should not be this way, but it is for many males (and females). Having this published all over the internet while there is a chance that he may still be alive is concerning to me, yes.

Why is EF being plastered all over the US as a victim of sexual abuse? Isn't the victim given anonymity?

Is this what they do to soldiers that report sexual harrassment? Or what anyone would do to bring back a distraught soldier?
MOO sounds like they are trying to get him to kill himself.

I am looking at it from the perspective of a guy that is in crisis! I work in mental health and frequently encounter pts with sexual trauma and unfortunately victims do feel like they want to hide it, especially if it just happened and they are in shock. This is now all over the internet. How would you feel?

Your comment of "Your attitude of 'don't tell because it will be bad for you' is exactly why this happens" was not needed. I put out a thought i had putting myself in Elder's situation.... and honestly thought this could be discussed. I was concerned that this would not go well.
I don't agree with you. Hiding it does what?

As a retired mental health worker I agree with No si. They are very vulnerable and can feel like they are being emotionally sexually abused again through this ordeal. It is why a lot of women don't report rape because they feel they have to go through it all over again. I just hope he is taking time out to get away from it all. MOO

Last edited:
I don't agree with you. Hiding it does what?

I am totally ok we you not agreeing with me. We are all different and are allowed to have different opinions. I don't want to hijack this thread arguing back and forth. If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM me. :)

Last edited:
Why is EF being plastered all over the US as a victim of sexual abuse? Isn't the victim given anonymity?

Is this what they do to soldiers that report sexual harrassment? Or what anyone would do to bring back a distraught soldier?
MOO sounds like they are trying to get him to kill himself.

I full-heartedly agree with you! I have the exact same concerns. If he is alive, he is in crisis, and having his recent trauma all over the news can have tragic consequences.

As a retired mental health worker I agree with No si. They are very vulnerable and can feel like they are being emotionally sexually abused again through this ordeal. It is why a lot of women don't report rape because they feel they have to go through it all over again. I just hope he is taking time out to get away from it all. MOO

Thank you @Marg from Oz. I agree! Yes, they often feel re-traumatized. It is a very vulnerable and lonely position to be in. I can't fathom them publishing this information if they have hope that he is still alive. They may know more. Thank you, by the way, for your service working in the mental health setting. :)

Yes, i am concerned because i fear that it may make it less likely for Elder to allow himself to be found IF he is missing voluntarily and is still alive. Based on lots of research evidence, male trauma survivors are very concerned with stigma, shame and rejection. They often do not disclose for decades. It should not be this way, but it is for many males (and females). Having this published all over the internet while there is a chance that he may still be alive is concerning to me, yes.
I absolutely agree with this. Survivors of abuse shouldn't feel stigma, shame. But they do. And if he is alive and holing up somewhere, this may make it harder for him to come back.

There is a reason that the victims of sexual assault are (normally) given anonymity and the perpetrators are not. There is also a reason why at this base, the victims are being disclosed and the perpetrators are not.

I absolutely agree with this. Survivors of abuse shouldn't feel stigma, shame. But they do. And if he is alive and holing up somewhere, this may make it harder for him to come back.

There is a reason that the victims of sexual assault are (normally) given anonymity and the perpetrators are not. There is also a reason why at this base, the victims are being disclosed and the perpetrators are not.
His medical info all over?
What a corrupt place.

If he committed suicide he would be likely found by now. The chance he was randomly killed, to me , is slim. Yes, Killeen is not nice of a place but not too horrible. People do not get killed for no reasons. I do not see a motive. I am leaning towards self disappearing...

You get your point across so well. Thank you so much for your reply! I agree with everything you said.

This is what i tried to get across last night, but maybe wasn't clear. Trauma survivors should not feel shame, guilt, fear, etc.... they should not fear to disclose what they experienced... they should be able to trust that they will not be re-victimized... but the bottom line is that they do not, just like you said. And this must be understood in cases such as this. I don't understand why this was disclosed. At all... :(

You get your point across so well. Thank you so much for your reply! I agree with everything you said.

This is what i tried to get across last night, but maybe wasn't clear. Trauma survivors should not feel shame, guilt, fear, etc.... they should not fear to disclose what they experienced... they should be able to trust that they will not be re-victimized... but the bottom line is that they do not, just like you said. And this must be understood in cases such as this. I don't understand why this was disclosed. At all... :(
No. It's absolutely ridiculous how much they have disclosed about this young man. Just the HIPAA violations frost me. MOO that they are trying to make it look like he'd be motivated to self-harm. And he might be, but he might have been harmed instead. ALL of the top brass at that command should be at least temporarily removed and investigated. Not a new thought, as we here at WS have known this for months, but somethings is very, very, very, very wrong at that base.

Family wants Fort Hood investigated after Brockton soldier disappears

The family of a missing Brockton soldier is calling on Congress to investigate Fort Hood.  

Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, was last seen by members of his unit one week ago. The Army said he did not report to work on Tuesday.

An attorney representing the family said Fernandes was sexually assaulted in April inside a supply room at the base, after a superior officer groped him.

If he committed suicide he would be likely found by now. The chance he was randomly killed, to me , is slim. Yes, Killeen is not nice of a place but not too horrible. People do not get killed for no reasons. I do not see a motive. I am leaning towards self disappearing...

BBM

But people vanish and get killed after reporting sexual abuse. There is always a motive. Perpetrators always try to shut their victims up... for good. MOO JMO

MOO JMO

Nice to see you again @Beltonian!

Thank you!
For some reason I feel that Elder is alive...What happened to him is horrible and he probably felt super embarrassed, lost, betrayed and he did not see a way out...decided to disappear and hopefully start a new life...MOO
Of course, LE knows stuff we don't, all we can do now is speculate and hope he will turn up...

Fort Hood Soldier Reported Being Sexually Abused Before Vanishing 1 Week Ago
Police said he was last seen wearing a black Army physical training shirt and shorts with red athletic shoes. Anyone with information about his disappearance is asked to contact the Fort Hood Military Police at 254-288-1170.
I am irritated that nobody can seem to agree on what he was last seen wearing.

Missing Fort Hood Soldier Elder Fernandes Reported Sexual Abuse Before Disappearing
His superiors had reached out to the family before his disappearance, authorities said.

"His immediate leadership initiated communication with the family before his current disappearance and has met with them daily since their arrival," Fort Hood said in a statement Sunday

"We met again with them in person today. We intend to share much information with them as possible. Along with the Family, we want information that will lead to Sgt. Fernandes’ return to the people who care about him."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclic8
Back