Found Deceased TX - Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, Fort Hood, 17 August 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the news conference with family that @PatLaurel linked above:

• Family just heartbroken and weeping, absolutely heartbroken. Family clearly standing together in this search and support of each other.
  • Asking public to come forward and begging for information since they have to return to Boston.
  • "Elder is somewhere...somebody knows something...I don't want Elder to become another Vanesse Gillen...Monday will be a week that somebody saw him last."
  • Demanding answers from Fort hood about "everything that transpired prior to his disappearance." Fort Hood not telling anything except "ongoing investigation"--the sisters are meeting with Fort Hood next. Hasn't received any callback from detective that army named as "point of contact" at Fort Hood since last Friday. Family sent emails and voicemails and got nothing back.
  • "Elder is not the first but we want him to be the last one... whatever it is that is happening at that base, we need to stop it," said the Mom.
  • "What made him suicidal? So you torture them and then you give them help?" asks the aunt, with respect to Army assurance that Elder was getting "help".
  • The family didn't know anything about sexual assault until they got here. Same attorney that represented Vanessa has been hired by family. Family begging Elder if he is alive to reach out, saying they will protect him and support him.
  • His mom: "Elder, the Army won't touch you. We promise we will take you. Whatever they told you will happen, we will move mountains so none of those things happen to you."
Absolutely devastating. Trying not to cry as I type this.

Thanks @allyoucantleavebehind! I couldn't stop the tears as i listened to EF's aunt...

The family news conference suggested that Elder was being treated in the hospital for mental health issues (particularly risk of suicide), so that connection is clearer now. So heartbroken for this family and hoping that Fort Hood acts quickly in answering their questions about the investigation that led to his health problems.

The family news conference suggested that Elder was being treated in the hospital for mental health issues (particularly risk of suicide), so that connection is clearer now. So heartbroken for this family and hoping that Fort Hood acts quickly in answering their questions about the investigation that led to his health problems.
Thanks @allyoucantleavebehind! I couldn't stop the tears as i listened to EF's aunt...

Me too. It was that wailing, that grief.... as a mom of a teen boy, my world tears in half to hear it and imagine what she is feeling. No words.

This is unconscionable. My jaw is on the floor. In my opinion, the base should be shut down and an independent investigation should occur. The culture at this base is so toxic that it's deadly, whether this case is murder or self-harm as a result of sexual abuse and intimidation. This must not be allowed to go on. I sincerely hope someone in a position of power comes steps in before there is another senseless death.
ITA. I’m disgusted, saddened and at a loss for words. When is someone going to investigate this base? Has the staff Sargent who dropped him off been questioned? MOO

ITA. I’m disgusted, saddened and at a loss for words. When is someone going to investigate this base? Has the staff Sargent who dropped him off been questioned? MOO

The Staff Sergeant who dropped him off is very, very important MOO. Very, very, very important. And (of course) not named.

Me too. It was that wailing, that grief.... as a mom of a teen boy, my world tears in half to hear it and imagine what she is feeling. No words.
I’m the mother of one, a 20 yr old son. I have no words either. I’m just heartbroken for this mother. He was probably suffering from mental health issues after being sexually assaulted and mistreated on that base. I can’t wrap my mind around the fact they just dropped him off after being in the hospital. I’m so angry! :mad: MOO

The Staff Sergeant who dropped him off is very, very important MOO. Very, very, very important. And (of course) not named.
ITA! Thanks for the information. I thought I possibly missed something in reference to the Staff Sergeant providing a statement. I guess not. Why am I not surprised! MOO

You don't leave a suicidal person unmonitored! You just don't drop a suicidal person off after a two week stay in the hospital...

MOO JMO

You don't leave a suicidal person unmonitored! You just don't drop a suicidal person off after a two week stay in the hospital...

MOO JMO
MOO too. And speaking of triggering, you don't have a Staff Sergeant or someone that might be involved or related to the ongoing investigation play the role of driver. You don't have a Staff Sergeant do that unless you're looking for triggers. :(

MOO too. And speaking of triggering, you don't have a Staff Sergeant or someone that might be involved or related to the ongoing investigation play the role of driver. You don't have a Staff Sergeant do that unless you're looking for triggers. :(

MOO too! And you don't mistake red for black, orange and yellow! And you don't mistake "a home in Killeen" for the exact place where you dropped someone off!
And, when you call Tim Miller and his team for help, you give them the exact location where the person was last seen! Don't make them waste time with (what it seems to me) a red herring! MOO JMO
Someone knows something and is not talking! We've been through this before... Ft. Hood failed Vanessa Guillen! Don't fail Elder Fernandes!
MOO JMO

Missing Fort Hood soldier was victim in sexual abuse probe
Fernandes went missing after being discharged from the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center, but it was unclear why he was at the hospital and whose address he was dropped off at, according to KWKT-TV.

“We need answers,” Fernandes’ aunt, Isabel Neves Fernandes, told the outlet. “We need to know where my nephew is, my sister’s son is. We need to know that he’s okay. We need to know that he’s alive.”

Neves Fernandez said her nephew’s car was filled with his belongings when he went missing, and that he had rented an apartment and set up all the utilities — but never showed up to get the keys.

I don’t know if I be
The family members are the conference today said they were told that he was "suicidal" (presumably by the Army?) and it is strongly implied that he was hospitalized for something related to this.

I don’t know if I believe anything the Army says.... but.. if this is true I can see how he would have these thoughts after being abused.. good god, I don’t know if I can handle another case like VG. It’s like they are my kids but they aren’t and it really gets to me.

Probably not a very popular opinion, but I honestly wonder if the publishing of all these details could have unintended consequences if EF is still alive. He is now known to have been sexually assaulted and that he spent time in the hospital for mental health reasons all over the world (just saw German article that included this information). That would be hard to come back to and face... MOO. I dont know... Can't help feeling worried about that...

Probably not a very popular opinion, but I honestly wonder if the publishing of all these details could have unintended consequences if EF is still alive. He is now known to have been sexually assaulted and that he spent time in the hospital for mental health reasons all over the world (just saw German article that included this information). That would be hard to come back to and face... MOO. I dont know... Can't help feeling worried about that...
That only applies if you think that being sexually assaulted is something that he should be ashamed of or if it is diminishing of him, in some way. Your attitude of 'don't tell because it will be bad for you' is exactly why this happens.

That only applies if you think that being sexually assaulted is something that he should be ashamed of or if it is diminishing of him, in some way. Your attitude of 'don't tell because it will be bad for you' is exactly why this happens.

I am looking at it from the perspective of a guy that is in crisis! I work in mental health and frequently encounter pts with sexual trauma and unfortunately victims do feel like they want to hide it, especially if it just happened and they are in shock. This is now all over the internet. How would you feel?

Your comment of "Your attitude of 'don't tell because it will be bad for you' is exactly why this happens" was not needed. I put out a thought i had putting myself in Elder's situation.... and honestly thought this could be discussed. I was concerned that this would not go well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back