Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking the exact same thing. No 3 year old is going to be concerned with their weight. Poppycock along with the rest of the story

Was thinking the exact same thing. No 3 year old is going to be concerned with their weight. Poppycock along with the rest of the story

The weight gain is probably because she is small, the dr probably said they need to increase food, but middle of the night is not the time I would... just saying.

That video makes me so sad of her ☹️ poor baby girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richardson people, where does your trash go when picked up? Here in Plano it goes to this pre-dump place and gets unloaded in this room which funnels it to bigger trucks that haul it off. Is this the same for Richardson?

I want to know if she was seeing a speech therapist? School districts offer home visits for free. Did she attend daycare? I admittedly scanned as I was very far behind once I got to WS.

It wasn't unusual for a 3 year old to wake and eat late at night in order to increase her weight? Because 3 year olds are concerned with such things? Or did the parents mean to say it wasn't unusual for them to wake her late at night in order to feed her and get her weight up??

This bit of this newest info is not adding up for me . . .

Well, in case LE doesn't buy the coyotes story he'll have a back up explanation. Good luck to him trying to explain why she would get up in the middle of the night to eat yet refuse to drink some milk. And why is it taking two years to restore Sherin's health?

I can't find any report or article that says treating malnourishment in children should take years unless there is an underlying disease that also needs to be treated. And nowhere does it say that a malnourished child should be forced to eat or drink anything! The recommendations are to provide well-balanced foods high in energy and nutrients after initial hospital treatment.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Malnutrition/Pages/Treatment.aspx
https://www.news-medical.net/health/Treatment-of-malnutrition.aspx

There hasn't been any mention from the parents that Sherin suffers from an underlying disease which is causing her to be malnourished.

IMO - just speculation - I don't think an accident occurred, I think she was hurt in anger and her parents didn't call 911. I also think it happened earlier and 3am is the time things became critical - she either expired or had already done so and a parent or parents left to dispose of her. Probably in a trash bag like so many of these sweet children end up in - like garbage to be thrown out.

Again all MOO and just speculation based on too many "missing" children who were murdered by their parents..

:liar: ====> :jail:

It wasn't unusual for a 3 year old to wake and eat late at night in order to increase her weight? Because 3 year olds are concerned with such things? Or did the parents mean to say it wasn't unusual for them to wake her late at night in order to feed her and get her weight up??

Maybe... because it sounds like horsesnot? (been following and sitting on my hands - I don't want a perma-ban - which I would totally get, if I really said what I was thinking).

I saw one church member that was interviewed by media stating Sherin is active. Do we know if she was walking? Was she potty trained or still in diapers?

The weight gain is probably because she is small, the dr probably said they need to increase food, but middle of the night is not the time I would... just saying.

That video makes me so sad of her ☹️ poor baby girl.

The family may have had a set routine of feedings during the night, as you might for a baby. Possibly this became a point of control, and a point of friction in the family. Children from orphanages often seek ways to control their environment/world, and one way is to refuse compliance. So SM doesn't want to eat, and the parents maybe felt that they had to force her to eat (trying to follow Dr's orders, trying to be "good" parents, responding in culturally appropriate way to authority). So parents resort to punishment to get her to eat. Not excusing, just trying to wrap my brain around it, to see how it might be true and this tragedy might have developed over time (instead of something horrible and sinister from the outset). I can see how it might go down that way, and it leads me to the idea that the standing by the tree was a common punishment, a typical part of the family's dynamics. Perhaps the older child has also experienced this punishment. Ugh. Horrific any way you go about it. I wish there was more support, and more culturally relevant support, for parents of special needs children.

The family may have had a set routine of feedings during the night, as you might for a baby. Possibly this became a point of control, and a point of friction in the family. Children from orphanages often seek ways to control their environment/world, and one way is to refuse compliance. So SM doesn't want to eat, and the parents maybe felt that they had to force her to eat (trying to follow Dr's orders, trying to be "good" parents, responding in culturally appropriate way to authority). So parents resort to punishment to get her to eat. Not excusing, just trying to wrap my brain around it, to see how it might be true and this tragedy might have developed over time (instead of something horrible and sinister from the outset). I can see how it might go down that way, and it leads me to the idea that the standing by the tree was a common punishment, a typical part of the family's dynamics. Perhaps the older child has also experienced this punishment. Ugh. Horrific any way you go about it. I wish there was more support, and more culturally relevant support, for parents of special needs children.

If she was continuing to fail to thrive, CPS could have had nighttime feedings as part of a parental action plan.

Update from Richardson Police Department:
https://www.facebook.com/RichardsonPD/posts/1489630407787599

Pasting content for those who cannot see what is on FB:

Update: Missing Child

The search for 3-year-old Sherin Mathews continues. During the past three days, numerous searches have been conducted around the neighborhood and surrounding areas where Sherin's adoptive father, Wesley Mathews, last reported seeing her on Saturday morning. Those thorough searches involved the use of Reverse 911, trained search experts utilizing K-9 teams, helicopters and door to door canvassing.

On Saturday evening, Mathews was arrested by Richardson Police detectives and charged with Abandoning or Endangering a Child. This charge was a result of his decision to place her outside a place of safety, which Mathews described to officers as being unsafe and contributing to her disappearance. He has since been released on a $250,000 bond.

RPD investigators are actively working with several outside law enforcement agencies and specialized groups. Some of those partners include: The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Search One – Rescue Team, F.B.I., U.S. Marshals, The Texas Department of Public Safety and various local police departments.

As the investigation continues, anyone with information regarding Sherin’s whereabouts is asked to contact us at 972-744-4800.

Interesting article about malnutrition in adopted orphans, and how to go about feeding them.
http://adoptionnutrition.org/special-needs/severe-malnourishment/
Important to note:
What is the feeding philosophy surrounding the child? Is force-feeding practiced, or is the child able to control what and how much he or she eats?
Force feeding can result to increased anxiety and resistance to eating.
Adults should determine what is served, when it is served and where it is served.
Children should determine if they eat the food, and how much of it they eat.

So IF they were forcing her to eat, they could make it worse and create more resistance to eating. So very sad.

She looks to me like a little Indian girl rather than Asian culture. I'm from an Indian family myself.

If she was continuing to fail to thrive, CPS could have had nighttime feedings as part of a parental action plan.

And if they implemented those feedings from a place of punishment, it would likely maintain her failure to thrive. :(

She looks to me like a little Indian girl rather than Asian culture. I'm from an Indian family myself.

I've noticed that in the U.S., those of Indian descent are categorized as Asian, for demographics and especially in law enforcement. was reading that this was to avoid confusion with American Indians. But it just creates more confusion in some ways. When an APB goes out for a burgler who is Asian, people are likely envisioning Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese, etc. Not Indian from the subcontinent of India. Here was an interesting article: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-issues-memo-clarify-indians-asian-article-1.1454467

Yeah, it could be either of these but here's the problem I'm having. First, as I mentioned above, it shouldn't take 2 years to treat child malnourishment. If it's severe then step one is to treat in the hospital. Step two is to send the child home and have the parents make sure the quality of the food is appropriate.

If it doesn't resolve then the advice is to seek out underlying illnesses.

What parent would force feed a child for two long years, using punishment when she's noncompliant? Would CPS involve itself in what appears to be a medical issue? Wouldn't it more likely urge the parents to pursue medical advice from a doctor if Sherin failed to thrive after two years?

I dunno you guys, you may be right but to me it feels like we're either missing a big piece of info or else Sherin's dad is blowing smoke in our faces. I've seen nothing indicating his punishment is cultural or recommended by medical or psychological professionals. IMO something's wrong.

I've noticed that in the U.S., those of Indian descent are categorized as Asian, for demographics and especially in law enforcement. was reading that this was to avoid confusion with American Indians. But it just creates more confusion in some ways. When an APB goes out for a burgler who is Asian, people are likely envisioning Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese, etc. Not Indian from the subcontinent of India. Here was an interesting article: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-issues-memo-clarify-indians-asian-article-1.1454467

India is in Asia. I honestly think a huge amount of people don't realize that. The confusion comes from people not having a basic understanding of geography. JMO

Maybe... because it sounds like horsesnot? (been following and sitting on my hands - I don't want a perma-ban - which I would totally get, if I really said what I was thinking).

Mods and admin are members at the end of the day so I want to tell you we understand the restraint involved sometimes with cases when things are seeming hinky as all get out. The struggle is real and we get it. Thanks for the hand sitting when required. :blowkiss:

I dunno... my oldest was diagnosed with constitutional growth delay at age 12 when he not only fell off the growth charts, but he no longer followed the curve. He always had a poor appetite in general but went through a phase when he was 6-7 (much older than Sherin, I know), where he’d wake around 2 am “starving” he said. I’d fix him a snack, he’d eat a few bites and said he was “full”. I’d tuck him back into bed and finish his snack. He gain a couple of pounds that year. I gained 20. (Never did it cross my mind to “punish” him. My heart breaks for Sherin.)

I’m taking the dad’s explanation with a (giant, gag-inducing) grain of salt. Just pointing out that feeding schedules for underdeveloped children can vary significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89