Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It can be hard not to get emotionally involved when we pick apart every little detail of peoples lives. That is one reason I try not to do many child cases. I have a hard enough time seeing the horrible things adults do to one another.
The children give me nightmares that is when I can sleep. However when a child is missing I feel compelled, even though I know the odds are against a happy ending, to sleuth my best. I have never understood the memorial thing but after the Newtown shootings I understood them a little better. People feel helpless to do anything to make the situation better and they just need to do something. At least there the local LE picked up things and stored them for the families when they were ready. It did give some families some comfort.

I guess the years i spent spent as a foster parent and a guardian ad litem volunteer helps me keep my perspective and boundaries. Of course we adopted our first and our last foster children so I guess being detached was not my strong suit.

I know now that the stages of grief apply even to those who just followed the case wishing so desperately for a positive outcome and there are many who want vengeance and retribution in the name of justice. Right now there are still too many unknown variables to make determinations about who else may or may not have knowledge of or be involved with the situation. I am old enough that parents hiring attorneys in lieu of talking to LE is still odd to me. I understand it is becoming the new normal but sometimes I have to remind myself that it is not an admission.

My big complaint is that we should have a system where we truly have speedy trials. There shouldn’t be years between arrests and trials. I have to keep reminding myself of a quote from the “Jesse Stone” movies where Tom Selleck says “I am in the legal and illegal business not the right and wrong business”.

Exactly. To know about a child that has died in awful or tragic circumstances is one thing, but unless people have been through that themselves they really have no idea of the grieving the families of the deceased child go through. But a show of love & support is welcome, but not the social media circus some of these cases seem to attract.
Every Christmas i purchase a gift to place under the christmas wishing tree at the store i go to for an underprivelged child in loving memory of my two young adult children that died. At least a child benefits from that every christmas.
That is amazing. Such a wonderful way to memorialize them. I am so sorry for your loss.

I think that is sweet. I am sorry for your loss. What is beautiful, in your leaving your gift, is that it is personal. The culvert is not Sherin's resting place. The mother has not been charged as a suspect, let alone proven guilty of her child's murder, and it seems that folks, who are strangers to her entire family, have tried to take over her mourning process. That's personal. People sitting at that culvert with candles, toys, and petitions for her child's body, is just strange. It's not beautiful, like your gift. Just my view of the situation.

Thank you, rsd. :heartbeat: Everyone copes differently. That's just our way of still being able to do something for her.

While the lull of information is almost painful rather than argue the minutiae in the case I suggest an OT question. I would love to get answers from posters and lurkers alike. Ready?

on average, how many cases do you follow at a time?
Most followed at a time?

Hi Grouchymom

I try to not follow anymore than 2 or 3 else all of the details/facts end up over lapping and I can't remember what information is from which case! :eek:

Right now it's Sherin, Galveston UID, Sherri Papini (no hope of ever not getting confused by that one) and then others that have been around a while like Danielle Stislicki.

Hi Grouchymom

I try to not follow anymore than 2 or 3 else all of the details/facts end up over lapping and I can't remember what information is from which case! :eek:

Right now it's Sherin, Galveston UID, Sherri Papini (no hope of ever not getting confused by that one) and then others that have been around a while like Danielle Stislicki.

I’m the same way. I can handle about 3-4 cases maximum. They are all so horribly depressing. I read and catch up every single evening after work. It can sometimes take hours to catch up on a single case.

I understand that these items are useless to anyone and yes they should be gotten rid of but I think calling them trash is a little harsh. People bought these things to show that just because someone threw this child away, she won't be forgotten.

We have lost a little baby in my family and at Christmas and such we leave just one little stuffed animal on her grave. We know these things will never be useful to her anymore and we know that when we come back the next time, we will have to get rid of it due to elements but stuffed animals were something she liked and it's just our way of still being able to do something for her. I guess.. maybe we're stupid for that.

I am so sorry for your loss. I think it is a wonderfully creative way to show your love. Have you ever thought about using ziplock pages to protect them from the elements? I know my Dad passed away when I was 3 so there were a lot of things over the years that other people may have thought odd left for him. Some thought I had completely gone around the bend when I checked in having him exhumed and cream aged a few years ago since I no longer lived close enough to visit often. Back in my high school days I had to go and talk to home about every boyfriend or crush I had. LOL If we all worried about how we would be perceived based on how we deal with grief there wouldn’t be enough psych units.

I am so sorry for your loss. I think it is a wonderfully creative way to show your love. Have you ever thought about using ziplock pages to protect them from the elements? I know my Dad passed away when I was 3 so there were a lot of things over the years that other people may have thought odd left for him. Some thought I had completely gone around the bend when I checked in having him exhumed and cream aged a few years ago since I no longer lived close enough to visit often. Back in my high school days I had to go and talk to home about every boyfriend or crush I had. LOL If we all worried about how we would be perceived based on how we deal with grief there wouldn’t be enough psych units.

Thank you, Grouchymom. It was a number of years ago now but we still go there, Christmas, Easter, her birthday, once in the summer. Always will.
That's a great idea to be able to preserve these items. It has never crossed my mind. With December nearing, our next visit to her is close so this is food for thought.

BBM. That last sentence is perfect to me. We all deal differently. I'm so sorry you lost your Dad so young.

[video=twitter;925382466474528768]https://twitter.com/jobinpnews/status/925382466474528768[/video]

Thank you, Grouchymom. It was a number of years ago now but we still go there, Christmas, Easter, her birthday, once in the summer. Always will.
That's a great idea to be able to preserve these items. It has never crossed my mind. With December nearing, our next visit to her is close so this is food for thought.

BBM. That last sentence is perfect to me. We all deal differently. I'm so sorry you lost your Dad so young.

So sorry for the loss of the baby in your family. It is never easy, and it is okay because we all do what we have to in order to try and heal our hearts from such devastating loss. Time only softens the heartache, but we never forget, and i know there are quite a few posters here that have lost children, sadly.

So sorry for the loss of your dad at such a tender age Grouchymom.

So sorry for the loss of the baby in your family. It is never easy, and it is okay because we all do what we have to in order to try and heal our hearts from such devastating loss. Time only softens the heartache, but we never forget, and i know there are quite a few posters here that have lost children, sadly.

Thank you, Karinna. I just saw your post up thread also, I'm sorry for both your losses.

"A passing can create a pain thats hard to heal but love leaves memories that no one can steal."

What a lovely outpouring of messages I've received since I made the post about Carly. Thank you, sleuths. You remind me what an awesome community it is here.

It can be hard not to get emotionally involved when we pick apart every little detail of peoples lives. That is one reason I try not to do many child cases. I have a hard enough time seeing the horrible things adults do to one another.
The children give me nightmares that is when I can sleep. However when a child is missing I feel compelled, even though I know the odds are against a happy ending, to sleuth my best. I have never understood the memorial thing but after the Newtown shootings I understood them a little better. People feel helpless to do anything to make the situation better and they just need to do something. At least there the local LE picked up things and stored them for the families when they were ready. It did give some families some comfort.

I guess the years i spent spent as a foster parent and a guardian ad litem volunteer helps me keep my perspective and boundaries. Of course we adopted our first and our last foster children so I guess being detached was not my strong suit.

I know now that the stages of grief apply even to those who just followed the case wishing so desperately for a positive outcome and there are many who want vengeance and retribution in the name of justice. Right now there are still too many unknown variables to make determinations about who else may or may not have knowledge of or be involved with the situation. I am old enough that parents hiring attorneys in lieu of talking to LE is still odd to me. I understand it is becoming the new normal but sometimes I have to remind myself that it is not an admission.

My big complaint is that we should have a system where we truly have speedy trials. There shouldn’t be years between arrests and trials. I have to keep reminding myself of a quote from the “Jesse Stone” movies where Tom Selleck says “I am in the legal and illegal business not the right and wrong business”.

BBM
Unfortunately, enough family harm family, that family are usually the first ones that LE look at in these cases. In today's world, I blame no one for obtaining a lawyer. LE can lie to you, but you can't lie to them, make a mistake, have a wrong memory, just can't remember, or you are a suspect.. If I were under any type of investigation that could send me to prison for a significant amount of time, or was thought to have murdered someone, I'd have a lawyer with me when I went to speak with LE. I'd cooperate but I'd want to know my rights were protected when I went.

At first I was thinking that Sini had to have heard something, and she may have, but went back to sleep. You don't suspect every little noise in your home, when you think your spouse is up with a routine feeding, or checking on a nightmare. If one of us is up, unexpected, we might check to see if all is well (did you hear something/someone? Are you sick? Can't sleep?, etc... but no suspicion that they're doing something evil). I then thought of my parents. My mother would probably do the same as Sini. She'd never believe my father would have harmed one of us, (neither of them ever harmed us) and would never speak against him, unless she saw it with her own eyes, or he told her it was true, and vice versa.

Thank you, Karinna. I just saw your post up thread also, I'm sorry for both your losses.

"A passing can create a pain thats hard to heal but love leaves memories that no one can steal."

What a lovely outpouring of messages I've received since I made the post about Carly. Thank you, sleuths. You remind me what an awesome community it is here.

Thankyou as well Ana, and i agree there are a lot of good and caring people here on WS's.

Hi Grouchymom

Oh, I followed the Papini case for a-while (until the thread closed). I've checked back in a couple times after the thread reopened but that's one crazy case.

Oh, I followed the Papini case for a-while (until the thread closed). I've checked back in a couple times after the thread reopened but that's one crazy case.

Crazy, for sure. I didn't follow (or couldn't follow - too fast moving) the first time so I'm pretty new to it. Not sure we'll ever know the truth there.

Sorry O/T !

BBM
Unfortunately, enough family harm family, that family are usually the first ones that LE look at in these cases. In today's world, I blame no one for obtaining a lawyer. LE can lie to you, but you can't lie to them, make a mistake, have a wrong memory, just can't remember, or you are a suspect.. If I were under any type of investigation that could send me to prison for a significant amount of time, or was thought to have murdered someone, I'd have a lawyer with me when I went to speak with LE. I'd cooperate but I'd want to know my rights were protected when I went.

At first I was thinking that Sini had to have heard something, and she may have, but went back to sleep. You don't suspect every little noise in your home, when you think your spouse is up with a routine feeding, or checking on a nightmare. If one of us is up, unexpected, we might check to see if all is well (did you hear something/someone? Are you sick? Can't sleep?, etc... but no suspicion that they're doing something evil). I then thought of my parents. My mother would probably do the same as Sini. She'd never believe my father would have harmed one of us, (neither of them ever harmed us) and would never speak against him, unless she saw it with her own eyes, or he told her it was true, and vice versa.
I agree with you. This is a typical reaction. We don't fall in love with and have children with people we think are capable of such horrific acts. Although the acts are horrific and monstrous, generally the offender does not appear as a monster in everyday life. It is not easy to comprehend how someone you thought you knew and never would do such a thing is now being looked at for endangering and murdering your daughter. It takes time to begin to integrate that new information with the characteristics and memories that are so contradictory and embedded in one's mind and experiences. I do not fault individuals for that. JMO.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

[video=twitter;925382466474528768]https://twitter.com/jobinpnews/status/925382466474528768[/video]

What more is there to find out? Maybe dig into more of the parent's lives, I guess, but Sherin only lived there for about a year, didn't she? Most of it just learning to do what one-year-olds do in their first year.

What more is there to find out? Maybe dig into more of the parent's lives, I guess, but Sherin only lived there for about a year, didn't she? Most of it just learning to do what one-year-olds do in their first year.

Looks like Jobin Panicker drew the short straw or got selected specifically because of his Indian roots (and from the last name possibly roots in Kerala) !! Maybe they want to lead the charge after feeling overshadowed by the other local stations esp Maria Guerrero at NBC5.
I would also add that the selfstyled community spokesmen got promoted in the media because the reporters wanted to get easily packaged response shots for their daily telecasts when the media frenzy was at its peak.
I applaud dallasnews.com for addressing the mob issue directly and smacking it down with direct quotes from the authorities. Hopefully the other reporters and media will also take some useful cues and not promote the self-styled "community leaders" in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member