Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So--what kinds of change would you be looking for?

I understand what you are asking, though I am not sure of what exactly you are wanting my thoughts on specifically. If you could be more specific, I can try to give a more specific answer.

In short, I think it would take a lot of overhauling of a lot of different things, a lot of people and agencies working together, which would take a lot of time, money and effort. It would definitely need to be a multifaceted approach because it's a problem with (I think) very complex reasons behind it. I think it would also require lessening of certain stigmas and the ability for parents to be self-aware and set their parental egos aside.
Again, if you can elaborate more, I can try to give a more specific answer.

I really wish there would be an update on her COD soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you are asking, though I am not sure of what exactly you are wanting my thoughts on specifically. If you could be more specific, I can try to give a more specific answer.

In short, I think it would take a lot of overhauling of a lot of different things, a lot of people and agencies working together, which would take a lot of time, money and effort. It would definitely need to be a multifaceted approach because it's a problem with (I think) very complex reasons behind it. I think it would also require lessening of certain stigmas and the ability for parents to be self-aware and set their parental egos aside.
I think reviewing policies and procedures when tragedy occurs can be very effective. But, I think when working with humans, there will always be error or things that cannot be predicted or caught in advance.

I also think it is difficult to know what changes should occur without understanding the details of the way the system works now. I think when tragedy happens, we tend to assume a problem occurred and we want to know how to prevent it in the future. It gives us a sense of control and minimizes the thought that it could happen again and even to us personally. But sometimes, there is no explanation or better way to prevent tragedy. We have to be careful about modifying huge system processes based on outliers- not to minimize at all the significance of one life but we have to think big picture and systemically when developing policy and stats are important.

It reminds me of the gut reaction to enact "extreme vetting" or ban all guns after acts of terrorism or tragedy occurs without often even understanding the current vetting process or gun control policies (trying to remain politically neutral by giving examples from both "sides").

MOO.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Well, back-tracking, you seemed to be expressing an opinion that some reform to adoption was called for in response to this child's death.

Personally, having been through adoption from beginning to end, and involving multiple agencies (private and public), there seems to be an enormous amount of energy put into a screening process to weed out people who will ultimately hurt/neglect/abandon a child. And while I don't have any problem conceptually with weeding out people who can be identified by various verifiable markers, I'm not certain that such markers are all that many or all that reliable. In the Mathews' case, it is entirely possible that nothing was missed because there was nothing there to see.

I have been around (and sometimes in) the social work field for quite some time. And I have seen some trends in the realm of "child protection." There was a period in my lifetime when a good bit of child protection tended towards prevention. For instance, it was assumed that families living in poverty could avoid neglect if they had access to affordable housing, food support, child care, etc. And then public policy shifted away and public dollars were limited to abuse and dependency cases. As Marissa points out, the only doors in were associated with hurt and the threat of removal of a child.

And somewhere along the line we discovered that "protecting" kids indefinitely in foster care was not the best of all possible ideas. So, as grouchymom has pointed out, there are now limits to how long a child can remain in foster care without a permanent removal. Good concept, but it sometimes means setting arbitrary goals that will fit within the timeline. What do we do with a parent who was yelling and spanking their kid in public to the point that it was considered abuse? Well, CPS can make referrals (because we prefer purchasing services from contractors these days). So, if the best that's available in your community is a six week "parenting" course, that gets written up as a goal. And when the parent meets that goal they are one step closer to reunification.

What we don't have, for adopted kids or bio kids, really, is a capacity for long-term support. For making certain that someone can see a family that's in over their head--and seeing that they get help. One of the most needed services for families with difficult kids is respite care. My state axed that years ago. Some legislators figured parents should pay for their own baby sitters. Never mind that some kids need highly skilled babysitters. And their parents get fewer of the usual kinds of breaks available (when the kid goes to after-school program, or scouts or whatnot) to "regular" kids.

But--I thought you had something specific in mind.

Marisa, I think you have a good heart and your thoughts about WM panicking should be considered since WS is a site where people can speculate about crimes. But I'm going to discount that Sherin's death was an unfortunate accident for several reasons.

First, because WM changed his original story we can't be sure that his second claim is true. It concerns me that it came after Sherin's body was found and it may very well be that WM was attempting to tailor events based on new evidence that LE may find. Certainly he confessed that she had died that night but is he trying to spin a new version that it was just an unfortunate accident? I don't know.

And secondly - maybe the most important point to me - is that IMO he had several opportunities to save Sherin and instead he chose to do nothing. According to his own statement Sherin began choking on the milk/nutritional supplement. To me, that's moment number one where he could have chosen more than one action.

Certainly he could have awoken his wife, a nurse trained in CPR and assessing medical emergencies. Instead he decided to monitor Sherin's breathing. Why? Let's say for argument's sake he was looking to see if she would recover from her choking. Though it's not recorded in the document I would think that if Sherin did not catch her breath and begin to recover then he would have seen other signs, such as her turning blue. Or collapsing. Something to indicate she was not recovering from the choking.

At this point he would have had another moment to act. Again, wake his wife or call 911. But what did he do? According to his own statement he watched Sherin's breathing slow until he believed she died. He didn't even know if she was dead, he just "believed" she was.

As her loving father he then chose to remove her body from the house and conceal her in a drainage ditch. IMO when LE arrested him the first time panic would have subsided and he would have been filled with remorse. Yet he gave a false statement, trying to blame Sherin's disappearance on coyotes, her wandering off, anything that that would lay blame for her disappearance away from him.

When Sherin's body was found he changed his story and even then as far as we know he hasn't told LE any more - what about the missing hour when he was driving his SUV? IMO a remorseful parent spills it all and doesn't worry about saving whatever skin he has left to save.

This is all my own opinion, based on the current progress of the case. I have no thoughts about WM right now other than he's a cold-blooded killer who cares only for himself. Even if the ME can't find a COD I hope he goes away for the maximum time allowed for the felony he currently is in jail for. MOO.

I also tend to not believe WM's second account of what happened. When LE gave the press announcement that WM had given an "alternate" version of events, it looked to me like the officer didn't believe a word WM gave for his "alternate" version of events. I feel there was some dark reason he was in the garage with that tiny child that night. Who brings a child into the garage just to drink milk?? Just too strange for me. I also can't wait for all those lab results to come back. I so hope they reveal more of the truth.

I think reviewing policies and procedures when tragedy occurs can be very effective. But, I think when working with humans, there will always be error or things that cannot be predicted or caught in advance.

I also think it is difficult to know what changes should occur without understanding the details of the way the system works now. I think when tragedy happens, we tend to assume a problem occurred and we want to know how to prevent it in the future. It gives us a sense of control and minimizes the thought that it could happen again and even to us personally. But sometimes, there is no explanation or better way to prevent tragedy. We have to be careful about modifying huge system processes based on outliers- not to minimize at all the significance of one life but we have to think big picture and systemically when developing policy and stats are important.

It reminds me of the gut reaction to enact "extreme vetting" or ban all guns after acts of terrorism or tragedy occurs without often even understanding the current vetting process or gun control policies (trying to remain politically neutral by giving examples from both "sides").

MOO.

There is of course always error or things that can't be predicted / go unnoticed when it comes to humans, however I think even something as simple as (just throwing out one small example) offering parents (all parents/caregivers) help/guidance/resources, it's more likely to be effective than expecting parents to seek out help. Help (especially with parenting) is something that people tend to easily get on the defensive about, are ashamed to admit they aren't up to par in some areas, and seeking guidance is often times has certain stigmas attached that go along with it. But if it was something offered and widely accepted, it could perhaps make a difference in some cases.

An example: when you're expecting, often times, parents to be take hospital tours, infant CPR and infant care classes, birthing classes etc. They are widely known, and encouraged and therefore socially acceptable. What sort of parenting classes or parental support after that are offered, acceptable, widely known, and have a high attendance rate?

I never suggested more extreme vetting of adoptive parents. But I do think adoptive parents would benefit from more resources and for longer periods of time if needed or wanted. Same goes for biological parents or caregivers.

I also think having open and honest conversations would be helpful. More people seem concerned with keeping up appearances than to admit they aren't a perfect parent and may be in need of help.

Well, back-tracking, you seemed to be expressing an opinion that some reform to adoption was called for in response to this child's death.

Personally, having been through adoption from beginning to end, and involving multiple agencies (private and public), there seems to be an enormous amount of energy put into a screening process to weed out people who will ultimately hurt/neglect/abandon a child. And while I don't have any problem conceptually with weeding out people who can be identified by various verifiable markers, I'm not certain that such markers are all that many or all that reliable. In the Mathews' case, it is entirely possible that nothing was missed because there was nothing there to see.

I have been around (and sometimes in) the social work field for quite some time. And I have seen some trends in the realm of "child protection." There was a period in my lifetime when a good bit of child protection tended towards prevention. For instance, it was assumed that families living in poverty could avoid neglect if they had access to affordable housing, food support, child care, etc. And then public policy shifted away and public dollars were limited to abuse and dependency cases. As Marissa points out, the only doors in were associated with hurt and the threat of removal of a child.

And somewhere along the line we discovered that "protecting" kids indefinitely in foster care was not the best of all possible ideas. So, as grouchymom has pointed out, there are now limits to how long a child can remain in foster care without a permanent removal. Good concept, but it sometimes means setting arbitrary goals that will fit within the timeline. What do we do with a parent who was yelling and spanking their kid in public to the point that it was considered abuse? Well, CPS can make referrals (because we prefer purchasing services from contractors these days). So, if the best that's available in your community is a six week "parenting" course, that gets written up as a goal. And when the parent meets that goal they are one step closer to reunification.

What we don't have, for adopted kids or bio kids, really, is a capacity for long-term support. For making certain that someone can see a family that's in over their head--and seeing that they get help. One of the most needed services for families with difficult kids is respite care. My state axed that years ago. Some legislators figured parents should pay for their own baby sitters. Never mind that some kids need highly skilled babysitters. And their parents get fewer of the usual kinds of breaks available (when the kid goes to after-school program, or scouts or whatnot) to "regular" kids.

But--I thought you had something specific in mind.

I said changes need to be made and it has to start somewhere. I did not say that there needed to be more vetting. And I do believe adoptive families could benefit from additional support. Just the same as how ANY family could benefit from additional help or resources.
And yes, I had a few ideas in mind, not that any would change the world, but they might change the world for one child or family.

In another case I am following on WS about Baby Sterling, his COD is listed as homicide according to PEOPLE.com and the manner of death is failure to provide critical care.

2 reasons I bring this up.

1st, the parents were arrested approx 4 months after they had called 911 and reported him to be dead. It took THAT long for autopsy and the courts to come up with the proper charges and from what I understand is a very strong case.

2nd, I don't know how long the baby had been deceased before 911 was called, but the forensic entomologist had a lot to say about how long this baby went without a diaper change, bath and even without being lifted from his baby swing. While awful, this gives me a lot of hope that we are waiting on Sherin's autopsy so that all the ducks can be in the best possible position to insure that the right people and the right charges are laid.

BONUS reason, I feel like baby Sterling's "parents" taking so long to be charged has given me hope that WM (and any other parties) likely WILL have the charge upgraded. I think if WM had immediately been charged with say, Captiol Murder, and the charge was downgraded, there would be a ton of anger and grief and wondering what went wrong, where this approach has removed WM from the streets, and from contact with other children, while allowing for room to upgrade the charges a ton, without risk of losing the fact that he can get life for any of them.

JMO

Here is the People.com link to Sterling's case and the WS link. I know a few of you already follow Sterling here!!

http://people.com/crime/iowa-baby-allegedly-left-swing-week/

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...death-Alta-Vista-30-Aug-2017-*Arrests*/page17

There is of course always error or things that can't be predicted / go unnoticed when it comes to humans, however I think even something as simple as (just throwing out one small example) offering parents (all parents/caregivers) help/guidance/resources, it's more likely to be effective than expecting parents to seek out help. Help (especially with parenting) is something that people tend to easily get on the defensive, are ashamed to admit they aren't up to par in some areas, and seeking guidance is often times has certain stigmas attached that go along with it. But if it was something offered and widely accepted, it could perhaps make a difference in some cases.

An example: when you're expecting, often times, parents to be take hospital tours, infant car and infant care classes, birthing classes etc. They are widely known, and encouraged and therefore socially acceptable. What sort of parenting classes or parental support after that are offered, acceptable, widely known, and have a high attendance rate?

I never suggested more extreme vetting of adoptive parents. But I do think adoptive parents would benefit from more resources and for longer periods of time if needed or wanted. Same goes for biological parents or caregivers.

I also think having open and honest conversations would be helpful. More people seem concerned with keeping up appearances than to admit they aren't a perfect parent and may be in need of help.
Great points. I absolutely think there is a need for ongoing support after adoption in particular. I lost count of how many children left residential treatment to go to a pre-adoptive family only to return weeks or months later. Families are given a 6 month "trial" in Michigan and often after the children are placed in the family home, the ongoing monitoring is not even enough during those 6 months and is essentially null after the 6 months.

No matter how much I prepared families during the early stages for expected behavior, their trauma history, history of behavior, and so on, they were never prepared for actually handling it. Families have the best intentions but make a mistake that love and a safe home is all that is needed to help children in the foster care or orphanage systems and when that falls short, they don't have the support needed to get through it. Each failed placement sets the child further and further behind.

I agree the same support could benefit birth families. The problem with all of this, though, is how will those programs be funded? Lack of resources is the root problem. Residential care and hospitalization is expensive so naturally, families are pursued and often even rushed into fostering or adopting these children with minimal training and information. Monitoring and services are also costly so the goal for children to move out of the system and into permanent homes (return to bio, relative placement, adoption) is the priority with almost no support ongoing.

I agree that respite is the largest need. We have children in our program that have been approved respite in foster and bio homes through Medicaid but finding a respite provider is like a needle in a haystack. The families we have that are currently using the benefit have friends or family as the provider. The ones who need it most are those without a support network.

There is of course always error or things that can't be predicted / go unnoticed when it comes to humans, however I think even something as simple as (just throwing out one small example) offering parents (all parents/caregivers) help/guidance/resources, it's more likely to be effective than expecting parents to seek out help. Help (especially with parenting) is something that people tend to easily get on the defensive, are ashamed to admit they aren't up to par in some areas, and seeking guidance is often times has certain stigmas attached that go along with it. But if it was something offered and widely accepted, it could perhaps make a difference in some cases.

An example: when you're expecting, often times, parents to be take hospital tours, infant car and infant care classes, birthing classes etc. They are widely known, and encouraged and therefore socially acceptable. What sort of parenting classes or parental support after that are offered, acceptable, widely known, and have a high attendance rate?

I completely agree, more help for ALL parents should be available without the stigmas!!

I do wonder if the "it takes a village" mentality that I was raised with, has seemingly vanished, because people resort to google and that sort of thing. Not saying that it's what parents necessarily WANT, but we do tend to google everything first, and that could be a reason why programs are not attended. I also noticed when my kids were younger that any type of parenting groups and such generally occurred during the day, when most people worked. I was blessed to be a SAHM so I could go to community drop in play groups that were free and ask for advice and learn basic things and such, but if you were a working parent, you missed out. Perhaps in big cities they have these types of resources available at different times, but sadly, if you live in a suburb or town or smaller community ETC the options not only become smaller, but the availability also diminishes, despite there being a strong interest, if it doesn't fit into peoples work schedules, it is sadly going to not be attended.

So, after hours courses/classes/programs IMO are a must ESPECIALLY if you are dealing with adoption where the people have just paid more than a years worth of wages to get the child into their home and they can't afford to take time off work.

I don't think it's as big an overhaul as some people may think, its a manner of using resources in a way that is most inclusive!! Basically, we have to tailor the parenting world to the current age where MANY houses have both parents working full time rather than the schedule that was setup back when the normal was to have a stay at home parent.

JMO

The problem with all of this, though, is how will those programs be funded?

Definitely don't have an answer to that lol but your question reminded me of an example I meant to give earlier that touched on the subject of help that is there and available, but not well-known.

In the city I used to live in, there was an organization that offered all kinds of help and services to the public. Individual Counseling, (family and marriage counseling I think as well) parenting classes and seminars, resume writing and job placement, they worked with the homeless..... all kinds of things/services. Most were free of charge. The problem, however, was that most people I knew were aware of the place, but were under the impression that the services were only offered to people on Govt health insurance or govt services of somesort or were considered low-income and that the parenting classes and assistance there was only for people who were dealing with CPS and had to take them. The only reason I knew about it being open to everyone was because a family friend was employed there. They often hosted or co-hosted really good seminars with great keynote speakers and experts in specific fields that often centered around parenting and families. But, again, I think a huge number of people who could have benefitted from services offered there likely were not aware they could go there.

How this place was funded, however, I am not sure of.

In another case I am following on WS about Baby Sterling, his COD is listed as homicide according to PEOPLE.com and the manner of death is failure to provide critical care.

2 reasons I bring this up.

1st, the parents were arrested approx 4 months after they had called 911 and reported him to be dead. It took THAT long for autopsy and the courts to come up with the proper charges and from what I understand is a very strong case.

2nd, I don't know how long the baby had been deceased before 911 was called, but the forensic entomologist had a lot to say about how long this baby went without a diaper change, bath and even without being lifted from his baby swing. While awful, this gives me a lot of hope that we are waiting on Sherin's autopsy so that all the ducks can be in the best possible position to insure that the right people and the right charges are laid.

BONUS reason, I feel like baby Sterling's "parents" taking so long to be charged has given me hope that WM (and any other parties) likely WILL have the charge upgraded. I think if WM had immediately been charged with say, Captiol Murder, and the charge was downgraded, there would be a ton of anger and grief and wondering what went wrong, where this approach has removed WM from the streets, and from contact with other children, while allowing for room to upgrade the charges a ton, without risk of losing the fact that he can get life for any of them.

JMO

Here is the People.com link to Sterling's case and the WS link. I know a few of you already follow Sterling here!!

http://people.com/crime/iowa-baby-allegedly-left-swing-week/

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...death-Alta-Vista-30-Aug-2017-*Arrests*/page17

Why is Sherin Mathews' father charged with injury to a child, not murder?

When a child dies, there is often a public outcry to charge the person responsible with murder.

But what happened doesn’t always fit the legal definition of murder. Or prosecutors can’t prove it to a jury.

Wesley Mathews told Richardson police that his 3-year-old daughter, Sherin Mathews, died from choking after he “physically assisted” her with drinking milk in the garage at 3 a.m. Oct. 7, and that he removed her body from their Richardson home. He had previously said she disappeared after he put her outside as punishment for not drinking her milk. He waited hours to call police.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2017/10/25/sherin-mathews-father-charged-injury-child-murder

Definitely don't have an answer to that lol but your question reminded me of an example I meant to give earlier that touched on the subject of help that is there and available, but not well-known.

In the city I used to live in, there was an organization that offered all kinds of help and services to the public. Individual Counseling, (family and marriage counseling I think as well) parenting classes and seminars, resume writing and job placement, they worked with the homeless..... all kinds of things/services. Most were free of charge. The problem, however, was that most people I knew were aware of the place, but were under the impression that the services were only offered to people on Govt health insurance or govt services of somesort or were considered low-income and that the parenting classes and assistance there was only for people who were dealing with CPS and had to take them. The only reason I knew about it being open to everyone was because a family friend was employed there. They often hosted or co-hosted really good seminars with great keynote speakers and experts in specific fields that often centered around parenting and families. But, again, I think a huge number of people who could have benefitted from services offered there likely were not aware they could go there.

How this place was funded, however, I am not sure of.
I'm guessing they had a hodge podge of grant funding. Our biggest funder is Victims of crime act (VOCA)- which is basically restitution and fines that is paid in as part of sentencing and distributed to programs that work with victims. We also offer parenting workshops and groups focused on parenting traumatized children and offer free counseling to children and families. You are right that ensuring people are aware of services that are available is a good place to start!

Respite and the middle of the night/weekend/any time, in home on the spot behavioral support I'd say is the biggest request from families. We used to offer a parent support mentor program in which parents who had been fostering or adopting for a while could provide support to new parents. It is just hard to maintain without funding for paying the parents, meals, transportation, etc.

Ultimately the stressors of parenting a developmentally delayed child with early childhood trauma that inevitably impacted attachment and the brain can be too much and overwhelming for many people. But, it is not the norm to intentionally harm your child in a way that leads to death and then to dispose of the child like trash. WM deserves what consequences he receives IMO but I'm not convinced there was much else that could have been done on the front end to predict this outcome. Perhaps increased education on how Sherin's development and attachment may be impacted with ongoing support could have been helpful but I'm not sure it would have prevented this. I'm hoping for autopsy results sooner rather than later.

I've fallen behind with keeping up. Was a COD officially released? He's still not charged with murder I assume?

When a child dies, there is often a public outcry to charge the person responsible with murder.

But what happened doesn’t always fit the legal definition of murder. Or prosecutors can’t prove it to a jury.

Wesley Mathews told Richardson police that his 3-year-old daughter, Sherin Mathews, died from choking after he “physically assisted” her with drinking milk in the garage at 3 a.m. Oct. 7, and that he removed her body from their Richardson home. He had previously said she disappeared after he put her outside as punishment for not drinking her milk. He waited hours to call police.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2017/10/25/sherin-mathews-father-charged-injury-child-murder

I really don't see any difference between this case and Justin Ross Harris murder charges for intentionally leaving his infant son to die in a hot car in Georgia. There is no reason not to charge him with murder, IMO. Premeditation began as soon as he decided to "assist" Sherin in drinking the milk. IMO, he continued to force her to swallow and would not allow her to breathe, which resulted in her death. He did not try to help her IMO but continued and checked her pulse until her death occurred. If that isn't premeditation I don't know what is. JMO

I really don't see any difference between this case and Justin Ross Harris murder charges for intentionally leaving his infant son to die in a hot car in Georgia. There is no reason not to charge him with murder, IMO. Premeditation began as soon as he decided to "assist" Sherin in drinking the milk. IMO, he continued to force her to swallow and would not allow her to breathe, which resulted in her death. He did not try to help her IMO but continued and checked her pulse until her death occurred. If that isn't premeditation I don't know what is. JMO

I've fallen behind with keeping up. Was a COD officially released? He's still not charged with murder I assume?

No COD. Yes, not yet charged with murder.

Sorry about the duplicate post, tried to delete it but didn't work.

I think we are reading in more than he has admitted to. Assist COULD mean holding the cup. Now, most of us don't believe that is what happened and tend towards the belief that if it was the milk-drinking at all that caused her death then he had to have done more than hold the cup. Difference is that a prosecutor will have to be able to PROVE that theory. So, depending on the complete autopsy report as well as any other evidence they may have at hand, they may well be able to increase the charge. Who knows, the autopsy may reveal a fractured skull, or likely suffocation due to a broken neck.

Hard to be patient, though.

I agree. He murdered this child. I have full confidence that he will be charged with murder, eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298