TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, 18 Apr 2016 #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd think fight or flight kicks in when you're in that kind of situation regardless of how tired you are! She was used to that schedule too. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that a rush of adrenaline would have kicked in when/if MB realized she was under attack. Any mother will tell you that her girls at home alone would have been weighing heavily on her mind. She would have fought with every ounce of her being if she could have. I can't imagine the fear she must have felt that morning.

Some thoughts in general...

The "Muddy Waters" piece states something like - "Police do not believe that the car is linked to the murder but that they'd like to speak to the driver". Speaking only for myself- I've always assumed that law enforcement used this sort of non-accusatory language in order not to dissuade the driver from coming forward. Also, I don't read it as strong language; it doesn't say definitively that the car isn't linked, just that they "believe" it not to be. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. One thing seems certain: the driver hasn't come forward.
-my opinion only-

On another note - and my apologies if this sounds insensitive - have you ever thought that an additional reason Missy wasn't simply shot in her driveway or upon leaving or entering her home (likely an easier/more efficient manner of committing the crime) is because her children may have been home? And if this is true, does it provide any info regarding the identity of the killer(s)? Just curious.

Some thoughts in general...

The "Muddy Waters" piece states something like - "Police do not believe that the car is linked to the murder but that they'd like to speak to the driver". Speaking only for myself- I've always assumed that law enforcement used this sort of non-accusatory language in order not to dissuade the driver from coming forward. Also, I don't read it as strong language; it doesn't say definitively that the car isn't linked, just that they "believe" it not to be. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. One thing seems certain: the driver hasn't come forward.
-my opinion only-

On another note - and my apologies if this sounds insensitive - have you ever thought that an additional reason Missy wasn't simply shot in her driveway or upon leaving or entering her home (likely an easier/more efficient manner of committing the crime) is because her children may have been home? And if this is true, does it provide any info regarding the identity of the killer(s)? Just curious.

I don't think that was ever an option...Not only because of her children but the car or suspects being identified by neighbors. This murder seemed to be about hate and rage against MB. Someone wanted her to suffer and they wanted to see it. So sad.

Here is the tag after processing (overlays). Looks indeed like a TEXAS tag, possible star visible. The rest may very well be a specialty design/ symbol and /or a combination of some letter(s) plus specialty design/symbol:

attachment.php

-Nin
Definitely appears to be Texas plate but that's about all I can make out. Looks to me like they have a license plate cover to purposefully blur the plate, becoming popular for avoiding toll fees, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Late night reading...yawn, but decided to take another shot at the "small label" (oval with writing through the middle) on the bumper. I found it interesting that someone was mailing out similar labels in the Ft. Worth area, only 32 miles from Midlothian. Are these labels popular with young drivers?? See this youtube and the ADDRESS on the ENVELOPE....just ODD.
[video=youtube;ONuzXW79Ehw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONuzXW79Ehw[/video]

I don't think that was ever an option...Not only because of her children but the car or suspects being identified by neighbors. This murder seemed to be about hate and rage against MB. Someone wanted her to suffer and they wanted to see it. So sad.

At approximately 3:50am to 4:00am I would expect the neighbors would be asleep. There are no street lights on the street the Bevers live on. The property is the first house from the main road - Ovilla Rd. The adjoining property on the side of the house where Missy would come out (the driveway side) which is toward the main road is empty (as is the one across from it) and there is a line of trees that blocks the view from the main road. The property across the street has trees and tall shrubs along their driveway again on the side toward the main road. This would prevent the neighbors from seeing any car - especially if it didn't have lights on even if they were awake and just so happened to be near a window that faces that direction.

So, it would have been dark and raining heavily. It wouldn't be easy to see anything with no light of any kind, even if anyone was awake. From the time a single gunshot went off (no matter how many fired) to getting into a car and going could be easily under 60 seconds. It would just depend on how motivated SP was to get the murder over with and get out of there. At the same time, there would very likely be no camera footage of any kind and even less for LE to go on in terms of a description of SP or even a vehicle. What's not to like about all of that if you are SP?

In my opinion killing Missy at her home would have been much easier and would not require any elaborate antics with tactical gear. However, doing so would leave no doubt that Missy was targeted. No mystery of a burglary gone wrong. No mystery as to what weapon was used to kill her. No misdirection. No confusion by LE (it would be Red Oak police instead of Midlothian) as to what happened.

I strongly believe that the only reason for killing Missy at the church is precisely because the murder could be disguised as a burglary gone wrong. Nothing more. Nothing less. I believe SP got very close to pulling that off but made a mistake that was caught on camera. Had that not happened the entire case would be looked at as a bizarre burglary gone wrong and nothing else within a week to ten days. The idea that it could be a targeted murder would be way, way down the list. This would make it extremely likely that LE would never look in SP's direction.

Had the murder occurred at her home, or elsewhere, and it were obvious Missy was the target with no elaborate showmanship it becomes much more likely that LE would look much harder at all of those people and their spouses around Missy (including many not on the search warrants). This is something SP very much doesn't want.

And I don't believe that SP cared about whether or not Missy's children were home. That it wasn't a factor in any of SP's decision making. Those kids would be forever without their mom regardless. This was all about removing Missy from SP's life. Selfish, with no regard, no consideration, nor compassion for anyone else.

At approximately 3:50am to 4:00am I would expect the neighbors would be asleep. There are no street lights on the street the Bevers live on. The property is the first house from the main road - Ovilla Rd. The adjoining property on the side of the house where Missy would come out (the driveway side) which is toward the main road is empty (as is the one across from it) and there is a line of trees that blocks the view from the main road. The property across the street has trees and tall shrubs along their driveway again on the side toward the main road. This would prevent the neighbors from seeing any car - especially if it didn't have lights on even if they were awake and just so happened to be near a window that faces that direction.

So, it would have been dark and raining heavily. It wouldn't be easy to see anything with no light of any kind, even if anyone was awake. From the time a single gunshot went off (no matter how many fired) to getting into a car and going could be easily under 60 seconds. It would just depend on how motivated SP was to get the murder over with and get out of there. At the same time, there would very likely be no camera footage of any kind and even less for LE to go on in terms of a description of SP or even a vehicle. What's not to like about all of that if you are SP?

In my opinion killing Missy at her home would have been much easier and would not require any elaborate antics with tactical gear. However, doing so would leave no doubt that Missy was targeted. No mystery of a burglary gone wrong. No mystery as to what weapon was used to kill her. No misdirection. No confusion by LE (it would be Red Oak police instead of Midlothian) as to what happened.

I strongly believe that the only reason for killing Missy at the church is precisely because the murder could be disguised as a burglary gone wrong. Nothing more. Nothing less. I believe SP got very close to pulling that off but made a mistake that was caught on camera. Had that not happened the entire case would be looked at as a bizarre burglary gone wrong and nothing else within a week to ten days. The idea that it could be a targeted murder would be way, way down the list. This would make it extremely likely that LE would never look in SP's direction.

Had the murder occurred at her home, or elsewhere, and it were obvious Missy was the target with no elaborate showmanship it becomes much more likely that LE would look much harder at all of those people and their spouses around Missy (including many not on the search warrants). This is something SP very much doesn't want.

And I don't believe that SP cared about whether or not Missy's children were home. That it wasn't a factor in any of SP's decision making. Those kids would be forever without their mom regardless. This was all about removing Missy from SP's life. Selfish, with no regard, no consideration, nor compassion for anyone else.

That's really good Jethro.... I didn't know anything about where MB lived so thanks for info. I agree ... they thought the burglary would be a perfect cover.

Not if MB was all muscle and the perp was all fat. She could have easily put up a very substantial fight. In fact, I do believe they were physically fighting and the perp finally got an opportunity to strike. I also think the perp wore the gear so LE couldn't get the perp's skin evidence under her fingernails.

Respectfully, I disagree that SWAT Perp went to the Church to physically fight until SP got an opportunity to strike at MB with an 8" rock pick. What if MB managed to grab a glove and yank it off SP? What if she managed to kick SP and place SP into a choke hold? Surely SP ambushed MB by shooting her then used the hammer. jmho

Lol.

It was 4 am while MB was barely waking up after falling asleep at 11pm the night before after talking to hubby.

Plus she just got back from a Camp Gladiator convention (hours away) that same day before she fell asleep.

So do you think that Missy would truly be alert to fight off swat perp or even a fly?

So jmo. Swat perp knew that Missy would be drained of energy at 4:30 am that morning. Jmo.

Well, BB told us that she was falling asleep when he spoke to her at 9:30pm. Sunday evening. She posted that she would wake up at 3:30 for CG. Rain or Shine.

People think SP would not hurt a fly. MB was murdered by the fly.

The murder was done in a place that her daughters would not discover her body, during a time period when her husband was out of town, by someone whom Brandon Bevers seems to think cares deeply about Brandon's forgiveness.

Brandon's comment about forgiving the perpetrator if they turned themselves in has always struck me as odd. This person murdered his wife, are they really going to care about Brandon's forgiveness? And if they do care that much, why didn't it stop them from murdering her in the first place?

What was the mistake that was caught on camera?

The mistake by SP on camera: precisely that SP wasn't seen on camera while murdering MB??

No real burglar would wait to have the dangerous "surprise guest" MB at a certain corner without camera to get her out of the way.

Jethro4WS, what do you think is/was the mistake?

What was the mistake that was caught on camera?
Okay. If you watch the long MPD video from inside the church there is one sequence that is different from all of the others. It is the last sequence. In this sequence you can see that when the door opens fully toward the camera the door is just barely in the view of the camera. SP went across the hall to another door. At that point MPD both enlarged and slowed down the video. What you see is SP breaking the glass. With that hammer SP would easily be able to smash the glass into the room behind that door. Instead much of the glass is coming down on the hallway side of that door. To me it appears as though SP was pulling the glass back toward the hall.

If that had not been caught on camera what investigators would have seen near that door would give them the impression that the glass of that door was broken from inside the room behind that door instead of outside of it in the hall. Because SP was at the very edge of the camera view my guess is that SP did not think they would be seen on that camera. They would be able to see the camera on the ceiling. SP actually positioned themselves a bit too far away from that door actually stepping back, perhaps only 6 inches, and because of that there was still enough movement to keep the camera recording in my opinion.

That is what I think was a mistake. Others may disagree. I think it was added to the video to send a message to SP that MPD noticed it. By that point it had already been making the news rounds that the attack on Missy may have been targeted. So my reasoning is that after assembling the snippets of video and creating the sequences it became apparent that there was staging going on - with that sequence showing it clearly, considering that it was also known that SP didn't take anything from the church either.

I believe that MPD has been taking opportunities to send messages to SP whether or not MPD has the slightest clue to their identity. This I believe to be the first message.

Is there a reason why SP did the staging wrong at that specific door only ...?

A bullet doesn't care if it's raining or the sun is shining. If the perp's sole intention was to murder Missy, then there was ample time to do that, from the parking lot, and without a face to face confrontation. She could have been shot leaving her home, at a stop light, as she pulled into the church, as she exited her vehicle at the church, as she came outside to get equipment....a silencer isn't expensive and can even be made homemade. There was no reason for swat gear the rummaging of the church, the vandalism within the church EXCEPT that the killer wanted Missy to know she was being murdered and by WHOM! JMO!

Otherwise, none of this makes sense. A random killer would have offed her anywhere, at anytime. The rain was a non factor, IMO. Again, bullets don't care! There are plenty of stolen, or unmarked guns out there that criminals have access to.

Whatever 'blunt force' was used, it wasn't necessary. The element of seeing the fear on Missy, knowing she was powerless against them, knowing she was dying, IMO that was part of the plan. The pure evil plan.

Why would he wear the SWAT disguise, if he wanted her to know she was being murdered and by who?

I do agree that if he wanted to shoot her, he could have easily done that anywhere at any time, without breaking into the church. Which is why that was clearly not his intention.

The mistake by SP on camera: precisely that SP wasn't seen on camera while murdering MB??

No real burglar would wait to have the dangerous "surprise guest" MB at a certain corner without camera to get her out of the way.

Jethro4WS, what do you think is/was the mistake?

You are assuming that he chose the location and knew where all the cameras where. Which I think is not likely. Also he killed her, and was gone in less than 15 minutes. That doesn't sound like he waited long. He must have done it in less than 10 minutes. Probably less than five minutes.

A bullet doesn't care if it's raining or the sun is shining. If the perp's sole intention was to murder Missy, then there was ample time to do that, from the parking lot, and without a face to face confrontation. She could have been shot leaving her home, at a stop light, as she pulled into the church, as she exited her vehicle at the church, as she came outside to get equipment....a silencer isn't expensive and can even be made homemade. There was no reason for swat gear the rummaging of the church, the vandalism within the church EXCEPT that the killer wanted Missy to know she was being murdered and by WHOM! JMO!

Otherwise, none of this makes sense. A random killer would have offed her anywhere, at anytime. The rain was a non factor, IMO. Again, bullets don't care! There are plenty of stolen, or unmarked guns out there that criminals have access to.

Whatever 'blunt force' was used, it wasn't necessary. The element of seeing the fear on Missy, knowing she was powerless against them, knowing she was dying, IMO that was part of the plan. The pure evil plan.

Bouncing off your post, 2Hope4, I saw a 48 Hours episode about Kay Wenal of Georgia recently. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/48-hours-solve-this-case-who-killed-kay-wenal/ The parallels to Missy's case are interesting. (I'm not saying that the slayings are linked, only that the comments of the retired FBI agents investigating the case intrigued me.)

The woman in the 48 Hours episode was 60 years old, murdered in her home foyer in May 2008. 48 Hours pointed out that the killer left behind little physical evidence. There were "no fingerprints, footprint, defensive would, hairs, or fibers." All the blood was Kay's.

Her husband said that Kay woke up feeling ill and cancelled her day's plans to stay home. The investigator said, "So whoever did this knew she was home."

Police found no sign of forced entry, so they think Kay let the killer inside her home. They say she was attacked right then—punched, perhaps—at the front door. She seemed to have crawled to the kitchen, where the killer slashed her throat with perhaps a scalpel or a hunting or fishing knife and then did "an insurance cut"—overkill.

Like Missy's case, investigators say that whomever killed Kay planned the attack carefully. "Nobody saw him coming in. Nobody saw him leave."

One of the investigators said that the killer seemed comfortable in the house, that he knew his way around and had no worries that anyone would arrive home and find him there.

They think the killer left out the back door and escaped through the wooded area behind the home. "He clearly knew where he was going . . . when he left, and that takes an awful lot of prior planning.

Investigators have no DNA but think the killer is male. One investigator said, "Because of the strength that it took. I don't see woman cutting another woman's throat like that. . . . Are there women that could do this? Sure . . . I don't think it's likely. I think it was a man."

They found pieces of a latex glove in the house that did not match gloves first responders used, and, so, they believe the killer wore gloves, further pointing to the planned nature of the killing.

Nothing was taken from Kay or the home, not the jewelry she wore or any jewelry in her home safe.

Like Missy, Kay's had no known enemies. Kay didn't talk about anyone threatening her or stalking her. Her sister said, "I didn't think she [had any enemies], but apparently she did."

The husband had an "ironclad alibi." He was "eager to cooperate" with police, without a lawyer present. Investigators told 48 Hours, "We knew [the husband] wasn't physically there." They had no evidence that the husband hired anyone to kill Kay. He seemed "genuinely grief-stricken."

Interesting—to me, anyway—is one of the investigators said, "We have found that people have three lives: They have a public life, a private life, and a secret life." He believes that Kay had a secret life "and that's where I believe the answer lies."

Kay's sister thinks Kay knew her killer.

Another comment that jumped out at me: When speaking about the overkill, one of the investigators said, "Whoever did this, did this because of one of two reasons: They're very angry at [the wife] or they're very angry at [the husband]."

Investigators looked into the husband's shady business deals and pondered whether an angry investor hired a hit man, which, 48 Hours said, "could explain the lack of evidence at the crime scene." The investigators said, "There was a lot of blood there. And how this guy got away without a footprint, a hand mark on the wall . . . it's just amazing."

The investigator went on to say that "the idea of a professional hit doesn't make sense: If it was a hired killer," Kay would've been taken out "with a gun. No physical contact. Just boom, boom. Out the door. 'See ya later. That's it. I'm done.'"

As far as other suspects are concerned, investigators looked at the husband's business to see "who was closest to Kay, [her husband], what they could gain if Kay was out of the picture."

Anyhow, thought I'd share. It's worth watching the episode.

You are assuming that he chose the location and knew where all the cameras where. Which I think is not likely. Also he killed her, and was gone in less than 15 minutes. That doesn't sound like he waited long. He must have done it in less than 10 minutes. Probably less than five minutes.
Yes. I expect Missy was very likely dead within 2 minutes of walking in the building.

O/T - but for those of us who are convinced or who observed that SP was drunk/high/impaired at the time of the crime - Google something like "killers drunk during the crime/murder". Ignoring the mentions of DUIs- the results are interesting, if nothing else.

Okay. If you watch the long MPD video from inside the church there is one sequence that is different from all of the others. It is the last sequence. In this sequence you can see that when the door opens fully toward the camera the door is just barely in the view of the camera. SP went across the hall to another door. At that point MPD both enlarged and slowed down the video. What you see is SP breaking the glass. With that hammer SP would easily be able to smash the glass into the room behind that door. Instead much of the glass is coming down on the hallway side of that door. To me it appears as though SP was pulling the glass back toward the hall.

If that had not been caught on camera what investigators would have seen near that door would give them the impression that the glass of that door was broken from inside the room behind that door instead of outside of it in the hall. Because SP was at the very edge of the camera view my guess is that SP did not think they would be seen on that camera. They would be able to see the camera on the ceiling. SP actually positioned themselves a bit too far away from that door actually stepping back, perhaps only 6 inches, and because of that there was still enough movement to keep the camera recording in my opinion.

That is what I think was a mistake. Others may disagree. I think it was added to the video to send a message to SP that MPD noticed it. By that point it had already been making the news rounds that the attack on Missy may have been targeted. So my reasoning is that after assembling the snippets of video and creating the sequences it became apparent that there was staging going on - with that sequence showing it clearly, considering that it was also known that SP didn't take anything from the church either.

I believe that MPD has been taking opportunities to send messages to SP whether or not MPD has the slightest clue to their identity. This I believe to be the first message.

Thanks for the very sleuthy reply, Jethro. Why would the SP want to make it look like glass was broken from inside that room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper