TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, 18 Apr 2016 #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or was LE using the Altima as a tool so SP would think they were focused elsewhere?

I tend to lead this way. I remember thinking and posting at the time it was to “shut the public up.” Everyone was begging for something, and so they gave them a ‘bone’ and IMO had them focused on the Altima so they could focus on other leads. JMO

Good points, and I agree 100% that this a real possibility. Especially since the Altima was first mentioned a month after Missy was murdered, and there were some very experienced folks working with MPD at that point.

A long time ago I saw church bulletins online and the giving was included. I will look back again, but it wasn’t more than $5k if I remember correctly and that’s on the high end. That’s the weekly total. Why the heck would someone go to all the effort to get dressed in a swat suit and ensure your identity wasn’t able to be seen?!

Two counter-points:
1 I attend a similar sized church in the same area, and have no reason to think the giving at my church would be much different from this one. And at ours, its about $20-25,000 a week.
2 However, it's not the size of the offering that would have mattered anyhow. It was (a) how much one specific perp would THINK would be in the offering, and (b) if that number was enough to motivate that one specific perp to break in and look for money.

On the flip side of assumptions, perp could have noticed that this was a church way out in the middle of nowhere, all alone, offering a great opening to break in, look, steal/get rich, and get away, and do it all long before anyone happened by that area in the middle of nowhere. And perp coulda assumed it would have a pile of money after Sunday services, since banks wouldn't open until Monday morning.

As for whether the perp would have done research, and know this and that, I sure wouldn't assume so. Research is hard work. Thieves aren't stealing in order to work hard for their money.

Reactions: AGT
Two counter-points:
1 I attend a similar sized church in the same area, and have no reason to think the giving at my church would be much different from this one. And at ours, its about $20-25,000 a week.
2 However, it's not the size of the offering that would have mattered anyhow. It was (a) how much one specific perp would THINK would be in the offering, and (b) if that number was enough to motivate that one specific perp to break in and look for money.

A mega church in Houston had $600,000 stolen 18 months earlier. At the same time of the day - in the early hours of the following morning after Sunday services.

here is survelience footage of a different church robbery back in 2014 in Austin

https://youtu.be/86Zts7l06tg

Reactions: AGT
I’m not arguing church robberies don’t happen. My point was, it’s not like there would be so much money there that they would need to go and wear an extravagant outfit just to steal some cash.

ETA: This wasn’t some $600K theft...MPD has even stated that there was nothing taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean. If you mean was the weather the reason for choosing the date my opinion is no. In almost all respects the down pour rain that occurred was all negative with respect to the crime for several reasons.

First, you are going to get wet, if not soaked.

Second, inside the building you would have difficulty hearing any vehicle coming to the church, driving by, and if you are far enough away even hearing someone enter. That is because the church has a metal roof and the pounding rain will produce significant noise. While the ceiling tiles will dampen that to some degree the noise will be there. To get a good idea of what the rain was like at about the time SP is said to have entered the building look at the SWF video when the Altima is parked there as the rain and how much rain was coming down seen at that time was very much the same around the time SP was making entry to the church.

Third, with that amount of rain the drainage systems along the roads in the area especially down towards 287 get overwhelmed with water. Ovilla Rd to the south of the church (one of the possible roads for Missy to have taken from her home) is prone to flooding and road closure as it gets down toward 287. The road to the North of the church (South Walnut something, can't recall) also has issues. So that introduces the time issue. What if Missy runs late because she can only get so far the way she normally goes to the church and then has to turn around and go another way?

Fourth, with the amount of rain that was coming down hydroplaning and standing water become issues, not necessarily for Missy or SP but if an accident were to occur on 287 near the church there could be police right there. Or having completed the murder SP gets outside only to find police right there on the road and you have SP in SWAT gear trying to pass by.

Fifth, that kind of rain that was going on also reduces visibility. Could SP tell if it was Missy's truck? If she was alone? If another car arrived or was already there while SP was in another part of the building prior to the murder?

If this were a planned, targeted killing it is my opinion that you wouldn't choose the date based on the weather. If it were some other situation like a burglary gone wrong or vandalism gone wrong, perhaps.

For what it is worth I believe that the murder was likely planned for a specific date. However, I believe the date was changed to take advantage of the fact that BB was out of town and would, in theory, be on a boat in the Gulf of Mexico by the time LE got around to tracking him down. I also believe that the killing was always going to be on an early Monday morning, just not April 18th but the circumstances related to BB changed that.

The rain would also reduce visibility and make it harder for passers by and LE to see the suspect breaking in to the church. That would not be a negative. Your other point are more neutral than negative. Do you really think that somebody who would commit a crime like this would be worried about getting wet or hydroplaning?

I’m not going to take the time to rehash every point, as they’ve been talked about in all these threads. No snark intended, btw.

1. No one has been cleared..it’s been said no one is a suspect AT THIS TIME.

Incorrect, they have been cleared. That is not debatable. So you can start by not rehashing that point anymore, please.

Police Clear Victim's Family, Friends in Murder of Texas Fitness Instructor – but They Still Don't Have a Suspect

Police say they still don’t have a suspect one month after the murder of Texas fitness instructor Terri “Missy” Bevers, who was murdered on April 18 inside a Texas church where she was preparing to teach a fitness class.

But in a news conference Friday, Assistant Chief Kevin Johnson of the Midlothian Police said Bevers’ family, friends and co-workers have been cleared of suspicion – an attempt to halt rumors that swirled after police earlier revealed the victim and her husband were having marital and financial problems.

Police Clear Victim's Family, Friends in Murder of Texas Fitness Instructor _ PEOPLE.com.html

Two counter-points:
2 However, it's not the size of the offering that would have mattered anyhow. It was (a) how much one specific perp would THINK would be in the offering
I like your points that a burglar’s perception about what is there can be very different than the reality.

At the same time, a burglar convinced that there was a large amount of money in cash at a location, then makes a concentrated effort to burglarize that location would probably also make a concentrated effort to find the money they knew or “knew” was there.

This concentrated effort would include ransacking clergy offices and secretary offices to find the money, or say, trying to force open a safe with a hammer, or trying to cart it off. Likewise, if unable to find the “mother lode”, the burglar would probably be tempted to grab secondary items such as audio video equipment, musical instruments.
Yet, this possible burglar does none of that- nor do they break off the theft attempt in realization that they hit a “dry hole”. Instead, they remain at the site.

This seems to support two possibilities:

- Targeting a specific person known to be arriving soon. The person also happens to have a lifestyle that could incite some people for a variety of reasons.
- Perpetrator was violently inclined and “role playing” a SWAT / Commando alpha male role for thrills. When the victim arrived, the perpetrator escalates the role play into a murder.

I still don’t think the Altima was involved. Is it weird, absolutely? But, I can’t imagine someone who went to this much detail to plan the murder (IMO) driving around some parking lot of a GUN store that you know is going to have sophisticated cameras! JMO

I kinda think it may have been a slam bam thank you ma'am or mister as it was after bar closing time, they did pick a unpopulated parking lot and the time they spent in the parking lot would
have made this a quickie. And if this happened with someone other than a girlfriend, boyfriend or spouse, there's no way I'd let police know. It would be in the headlines everywhere.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Incorrect, they have been cleared. That is not debatable. So you can start by not rehashing that point anymore, please.

Police Clear Victim's Family, Friends in Murder of Texas Fitness Instructor _ PEOPLE.com.html

Respectively, I’m not debating, however media tends to change original wording when writing articles, especially sources such as People magazine. In this article, from WFAA, it’s stated people named in warrants are not suspects. There’s no mention of the word “cleared” IMO, not being a suspect and being cleared are two different things.

http://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...rkers-are-suspects-in-bevers-murder/206847689

I still don’t think the Altima was involved. Is it weird, absolutely? But, I can’t imagine someone who went to this much detail to plan the murder (IMO) driving around some parking lot of a GUN store that you know is going to have sophisticated cameras! JMO

I completely agree with you on this point. Not sure why they chose the gun store parking lot to cruise around, but the heavy rain could have been a factor. Or as Razz stated, a quickie!

I tend to lead this way. I remember thinking and posting at the time it was to “shut the public up.” Everyone was begging for something, and so they gave them a ‘bone’ and IMO had them focused on the Altima so they could focus on other leads. JMO

They need to toss us a new bone IMO. Release the entire footage from the church or something.

I’m not arguing church robberies don’t happen. My point was, it’s not like there would be so much money there that they would need to go and wear an extravagant outfit just to steal some cash.

ETA: This wasn’t some $600K theft...MPD has even stated that there was nothing taken.

I agree with this too. Plus the church had been robbed before. I think playground equipment was stolen. Anyway, my mother-in-law is church secretary and she carries the cash home with her. Given the amount is not even close $5000, but it is likely the church secretary did take money with her or him and put it in home safe until it could be deposited Monday morning.

They LE has been saying since May 2016 that none of her friends, family or co workers have are POI or suspects and that they have been cleared.

They LE has been saying since May 2016 that none of her friends, family or co workers have are POI or suspects and that they have been cleared.

I understand what you are saying, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I am taking their statement with a GIANT shaker of salt. Honestly, like someone else posted, for BB to say he was no longer looking for Missy's killer in the last video, rubbed me the wrong way. You don't give up looking for your loved one's killer, or at least say it publicly and look like a giant :behind: (rhymes with bass).

I understand what you are saying, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I am taking their statement with a GIANT shaker of salt. Honestly, like someone else posted, for BB to say he was no longer looking for Missy's killer in the last video, rubbed me the wrong way. You don't give up looking for your loved one's killer, or at least say it publicly and look like a giant :behind: (rhymes with bass).

^^^^ This. LE never has to let the audience know what direction they are heading too. I serious hope the new detective in charge looks at past interviews for all the people tangled.

the perp is hardly going to stick around to keep searching for money if they have just murdered someone.

If it was a targeted murder why did the perp choose the interior of a church to murder someone with cameras everywhere? The response is ‘well it was a staged robbery’ if it was a staged robbery I find it harder to believe that nothing was taken than if it was a legitimate robbery and the perp was interrupted.

I wonder if direct and indirect lifestyle contacts are counted as 'friends'? If so, it would appear that the police have eliminated a population of which some might of had motives to harm the victim.

the perp is hardly going to stick around to keep searching for money if they have just murdered someone.

If it was a targeted murder why did the perp choose the interior of a church to murder someone with cameras everywhere? The response is ‘well it was a staged robbery’ if it was a staged robbery I find it harder to believe that nothing was taken than if it was a legitimate robbery and the perp was interrupted.

I think whether or not CG was done outside or inside that day, MB was going to be killed. The perp knew where she would be and they planned it out. Obviously there weren't cameras everywhere if police don't have it on camera.It also worked in their favor that her husband was gone the same time. JMO

We're not going to convince each other that the other is right, and that's ok.

I wonder if direct and indirect lifestyle contacts are counted as 'friends'? If so, it would appear that the police have eliminated a population of which some might of had motives to harm the victim.

This was from December 2017..
"A year later, police have sifted through about 1,400 tips. Johnson says there are still a few “lingering people of interest” who haven't been excluded. A full-time investigator remains assigned to the case. No one has been publicly ruled as out as a suspect, not even her husband. Johnson says Bevers’ husband has been all but cleared and they no longer consider him a person of interest, much less a suspect."
Source: http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/still-no-answers-one-year-after-missy-bevers-murder/431968162

Yes, he may be "all but cleared," but at the same time they're not going to tell any POI or suspect that they are one when they're watching them. They're not going to show their cards. If anything, they're going to make whomever they're investigating think they're walking free and clear. The perp at somepoint will do something that makes them slip up...it's just a matter of when, and who is watching. IMO.

Also, my point wasn't to say anything about BB involvement. It's that they haven't said publicly who their suspects/POI are and their status of being cleared or not....

JMO....LE is not going to tell the public they have a POI or suspect. Texas is a death penalty state and this is a death penalty case there is no way they are saying it. We won’t know until there’s an arrest. FWIW - I do think there will be an arrest, I don’t know when, but I honestly think there will be at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Respectively, I’m not debating, however media tends to change original wording when writing articles, especially sources such as People magazine. In this article, from WFAA, it’s stated people named in warrants are not suspects. There’s no mention of the word “cleared” IMO, not being a suspect and being cleared are two different things.

http://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...rkers-are-suspects-in-bevers-murder/206847689

It was not just People. It was reported in multiple media sources. Here is a direct quote, “At this point, none of her family, friends or coworkers are suspects,”. How much clearer could they make it?

Midlothian Police Department investigators are no longer actively considering several individuals that were once considered people of interest early in Terri “Missy” Bevers murder investigation, Assistant Police Chief Kevin Johnson said Friday.

Bevers, a fitness instructor with Camp Gladiator and a mother of three school-aged daughters, was killed April 18 in Creekside Church of Christ. Police are searching for a suspect seen on surveillance video walking around in the church before Bevers arrived.

“At this point, none of her family, friends or coworkers are suspects,” Johnson said.

Assistant police chief_ Family not suspects in Bevers Murder - News - Waxahachie Daily Light - Waxahachie, TX

JMO....LE is not going to tell the public they have a POI or suspect. Texas is a death penalty state and this is a death penalty case there is no way they are saying it. We won’t know until there’s an arrest. FWIW - I do think there will be an arrest, I don’t know when, but I honestly think there will be at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said!! Couldn’t agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads