Found Deceased UK - Anthony Knott, 33, last seen at a pub in Lewes, Sussex, 20 Dec 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The fact his fiancé (who will have more knowledge of the circumstances than any of us) is petitioning for a fence around this river is telling. Too many people conspiring when in fact this was more than likely a tragic accident which she is now petitioning to avoid in the future. I was also shocked to read how many others had lost their lives in this river, a few people have commented under the petition giving details of loved ones lost there.

I've also read the comments under the petition and could only see one comment from someone who lost a loved one 'in this river', though I read several from people who had lost friends or family members in drink/water accidents generally, presumably elsewhere.
There's a more balanced, locally based discussion under the link to the petition on the Lewes Presemt facebook group.
I've searched in vain for stats showing how many people have accidentally drowned in the Lewes stretch of the Ouse and would be really interested if anyone else can find them.

On a more general note, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Anthony Knott's loved ones, when someone dies in an accident, it's completely natural for those left behind to feel that 'something must be done' to help them feel that a life that was so important to them was not lost in vain.
Similarly, if there's any suggestion that entering the water was a deliberate act, there's an understandable tendency to dismiss the idea, as they may feel some almost certainly misplaced guilt that they weren't aware of the state of mind of the deceased and should have done more to help.

it doesn't matter where he was on the CCTV since we know he fell in the river at some point so was obviously next to it

Yep fully understood. Without being brutal or appearing unkind unsympathectic or cold because I am not. The question remains How Did He Get There? Why was the phone turned off? Why did the last official video show him heading away from the River? Where was he from 7:41pm onwards? How did he get to the River in the first place in order to fall in?

My Humble Opinion, thoughts and Questions
MingyMoo

It seems a knee jerk reaction (understandable)...not sure how practical it would
Maybe would be better if the direct paths to the riverside itself should be gated in the town area only
Are there many in Lewes? How many areas could he have directly accessed the riverside?

Could I ask a simple question? Is the 7:41pm video confirmed as being AK ?

Mingy

It seems a knee jerk reaction (understandable)...not sure how practical it would
Maybe would be better if the direct paths to the riverside itself should be gated in the town area only
Are there many in Lewes? How many areas could he have directly accessed the riverside?
It was my understanding or misunderstanding from Lewes present, that footpath to Tesco’s along the river does have flood gates that can close it off. They weren’t closed off on the night in question. Feel free to correct if the floodgates are to a different pathway in Lewes.

At 3am I think a man might go in a doorway or something, but at around 8pm I think some might want to be a bit more covert.

Oh, come on...it was dark....

if he was busting to pee he’d have found somewhere quickly — not walk around for about TWO hours trying to find somewhere!

There’s places all over where men can sneak off to pee...even in central London

Alleyways, behind buildings....

Really, that’s an incredible stretch of the imagination to think he may have been walking around in the dark, cold, damp for 1 to 2 hours busting for a pee!

Oh, come on...it was dark....

if he was busting to pee he’d have found somewhere quickly — not walk around for about TWO hours trying to find somewhere!

There’s places all over where men can sneak off to pee...even in central London

Alleyways, behind buildings....

Really, that’s an incredible stretch of the imagination to think he may have been walking around in the dark, cold, damp for 1 to 2 hours busting for a pee!

I'm not suggesting he was wandering around for 2 hours looking for a place to pee. I'm only saying that at around 8pm there would still be plenty of people around, maybe the odd police car going through town, and that after wandering around for a bit in the cold, eventually he'd probably need to pee, and maybe he'd try and find somewhere a bit more private.

As pubs would be open, it does seem more likely he'd nip into a pub....but maybe he didn't want to have to buy a drink in a pub that wasn't the right one where his friends were?

ETA was North Street Garage one of the possible sighting areas?

On Google maps, there's a car park just behind the fire station, and there are a couple of slight 'gaps' in the bushes that create a line between the car park and the river. I wonder if it's possible someone might try and push the bushes apart to make a space to pee into the river, and then lose footing and slip in?

Here's the satellite view of the area I'm referring to

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

The flood gate exists to contain the river within the flood plain and stop it spreading to residential areas and businesses.
It closes the path off at the point where it stands (just on the south side of Phoenix Causeway) but you can still access it from the north side of the Causeway and from Tesco and beyond.

The fact his fiancé (who will have more knowledge of the circumstances than any of us) is petitioning for a fence around this river is telling. Too many people conspiring when in fact this was more than likely a tragic accident which she is now petitioning to avoid in the future. I was also shocked to read how many others had lost their lives in this river, a few people have commented under the petition giving details of loved ones lost there.

It probably was a tragic accident, but at this stage no-one actually knows why or how he got into the river

The fact he was walking around for such a long time; had switched his phone off (possibly); didn’t tell his friends he was going anywhere; never asked anyone for directions in all that time of him criss-crossing the town, seems odd

I know his fiancé must be in a terrible state - it’s absolutely tragic - and although she means well by asking people to sign a petition to have gates/fences put along the river — that wouldn’t stop people deliberately jumping in. And thinking logically, how could they put fences around rivers...the UK is full of rivers and it’d be so impractical

If it transpires that he slipped in the river by trying to reach Waitrose/Tesco, and there’s no fences along a certain part, then that would be worthwhile — but how many shoppers going to those supermarkets have fallen into the river and drowned ?

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting he was wandering around for 2 hours looking for a place to pee. I'm only saying that at around 8pm there would still be plenty of people around, maybe the odd police car going through town, and that after wandering around for a bit in the cold, eventually he'd probably need to pee, and maybe he'd try and find somewhere a bit more private.

As pubs would be open, it does seem more likely he'd nip into a pub....but maybe he didn't want to have to buy a drink in a pub that wasn't the right one where his friends were?

ETA was North Street Garage one of the possible sighting areas?

On Google maps, there's a car park just behind the fire station, and there are a couple of slight 'gaps' in the bushes that create a line between the car park and the river. I wonder if it's possible someone might try and push the bushes apart to make a space to pee into the river, and then lose footing and slip in?

Here's the satellite view of the area I'm referring to

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

But you can walk into a pub and use the loo without buying a drink...so that couldn’t have been the case

As for going behind the fire station to pee...why would he do that? Fire stations are manned 24/7 for 365 days of the year — he’d have used their loos

And, if that is AK in the garage video (which looks identical to him) that was at 8:45pm...so why was he walking around for all that time?

I realise that by signing it Lucy and family would seem to support the petition , but it wasn't actually Lucy who started it - it was a member of the public who was posting on the LP site during the search for Anthony .
I'd hazard a guess that starting such a petition would not otherwise be at the forefront of Lucy's mind , right now .

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

From memory and a google search I can't find of any previous town centre fatalities, although I do remember a lad getting rescued after being swept away when he was swimming and a woman being rescued near Wileys Bridge. Both of whom entered the water on purpose.

They seem to be losing their sense of proportion over on Lewes Present, bless 'em.
Or to quote one wag, it's Lewes's Diana Moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Change.org campaign said: "Put a fence round the River Ouse to stop people falling in and accidents, not only people but animals too - and most importantly deaths."

Miss Otto shared the appeal, and added: "Please sign, this river is dangerous and completely open.
No one should have to go through the pain we are, this river needs a safety fence to stop this ever happening again.
The walkways along the river that are accessible to the public need a safety barrier."
She added: "We are going through the worst time of our lives and I wouldn't wish this on any other family."
Anthony Knott's grieving fiancée pleads people to sign river safety campaign

To be honest, I'm not that interested in the petition (never going to happen) but I am
intrigued by why she believes so strongly that this was an accident.

I assume she is by now aware of what his companions on the Lewes trip have to say about how he appeared to them, things he said etc which the public were never told.
I believe she stated at some stage that she'd had it confirmed by Apple that the iphone had been switched off and not run out of battery (please correct me if I'm wrong) but still she promotes the
accident scenario.
I'm still feeling something's missing here.

The Change.org campaign said: "Put a fence round the River Ouse to stop people falling in and accidents, not only people but animals too - and most importantly deaths."

Miss Otto shared the appeal, and added: "Please sign, this river is dangerous and completely open.
No one should have to go through the pain we are, this river needs a safety fence to stop this ever happening again.
The walkways along the river that are accessible to the public need a safety barrier."
She added: "We are going through the worst time of our lives and I wouldn't wish this on any other family."
Anthony Knott's grieving fiancée pleads people to sign river safety campaign

To be honest, I'm not that interested in the petition (never going to happen) but I am
intrigued by why she believes so strongly that this was an accident.

I assume she is by now aware of what his companions on the Lewes trip have to say about how he appeared to them, things he said etc which the public were never told.
I believe she stated at some stage that she'd had it confirmed by Apple that the iphone had been switched off and not run out of battery (please correct me if I'm wrong) but still she promotes the
accident scenario.
I'm still feeling something's missing here.

Honestly, I tend to think it's more a *want* to believe it was an accident. I don't think anyone wants to think their loved one took their own life or someone else took it. JMO though obviously.

Yes, it would appear that way - at first

But I find it hard to comprehend how an intelligent adult man who certainly isn’t shy - and doesn’t appear drunk, let alone paralytic - would walk around “lost” in a busy town for TWO hours...

If I got lost in a town I’d head towards the shops/pubs/restaurants, which are so easy to see, and ask someone for directions
Where has this 2 hour time period come from? As far as i am aware the last cctv sighting of him was around 1940, not that long after he left the Lamb. The later footage which i think you rely on is not confirmed as The MISPER. His friends and family have watched that later footage and seemingly discounted it.
For me he leaves the pub as he is beginning to feel drunk. He wants to go home. Turns his phone off because he doesnt want the hassle when his mates realise he has gone home. He wants to go to the station. Gets lost, after a short while gets back on track but needs a pee. Takes a side route off the main drag he was last captured on cctv to get a bit of privacy. Goes to far off the beaten track and falls in the river.

But you can walk into a pub and use the loo without buying a drink...so that couldn’t have been the case

As for going behind the fire station to pee...why would he do that? Fire stations are manned 24/7 for 365 days of the year — he’d have used their loos

And, if that is AK in the garage video (which looks identical to him) that was at 8:45pm...so why was he walking around for all that time?
No necessarily smaller towns often have community fire stations which are not staffed 24/7.

<modsnip>

From memory and a google search I can't find of any previous town centre fatalities, although I do remember a lad getting rescued after being swept away when he was swimming and a woman being rescued near Wileys Bridge. Both of whom entered the water on purpose.

They seem to be losing their sense of proportion over on Lewes Present, bless 'em.
Or to quote one wag, it's Lewes's Diana Moment.

‘There have been other fatalities in that river. It’s been mentioned on another site. At least 2 people have said they’ve lost loved ones to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesspi
Back