Deceased/Not Found UK - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 1 Oct 2012 #3 *M. Bridger guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday is the first day that at least one of the tabloids or broadsheets does not feature a front page article on April.

I would like to ask please, what the procedure will be in court tomorrow.

I'm guessing he will enter a plea and depending on what it is, will either proceed to trial or straight to sentencing.

There's also the problem of police/prosecutors rushing things when there is massive public and media attention on a specific case, and sometimes with the best will in the world, they rush to the wrong judgement.

The Wimbledon Common murder would be an example of that.

I don't know why they would want to declare April dead so quickly. They are still looking for her body, so it is not as though they declared her dead and gave up. They know she is dead.

There's also the problem of police/prosecutors rushing things when there is massive public and media attention on a specific case, and sometimes with the best will in the world, they rush to the wrong judgement.

This question I ask to all of you who are critical of LE and think they have acted hastily in charging MB:

If no other evidence has come to light to implicate anyone else, at least that we are aware, what suggestions might you give to LE regarding how they should proceed with their investigation?

This question I ask to all of you who are critical of LE and think they have acted hastily in charging MB:

If no other evidence has come to light to implicate anyone else, at least that we are aware, what suggestions might you give to LE regarding how they should proceed with their investigation?

You're not understanding me. I'm not criticising LE, nor am I pretending to know whether or not they have arrested the right person. I tend to judge these things on the evidence, not on the idea of "police good" or "police bad".

So far, we've seen no evidence so I just don't know either way. At this stage I would stick to the default position of innocent till proven guilty.

I'm guessing he will enter a plea and depending on what it is, will either proceed to trial or straight to sentencing.

Thank you, and if LE wanted to drop one or two of the charges, would it happen at this time?

Thank you, and if LE wanted to drop one or two of the charges, would it happen at this time?

I would think it highly unlikely they would drop charges.

The law doesn't work the same way in the UK and Australia as it does in the US, with plea bargaining and other shenanigans.

JMO...I don't actually know...

I wonder how long it will be till trial (if there is a trial in this case). In the Jo Yeates case, Vincent Tabak was arrested on
20 January and charged on 22 January 2011, and his trial did not start until 04 October of that year.

No one has said that.

We cannot know at this stage, what evidence they have.

It could well be they have video of him murdering her...we just don't know yet.

What I am wary of is rushing to judgement. That's what the courts are for. He is NOT automatically guilty, just because he has been charged.

Must be my reading comprehension's a little wonky then.

Unfortunately some of us who have "been around the block" a few times know that LE can and do get it wrong.

They are only human after all.

It's got nothing to do with criticising, and everything to do with "keeping an open mind".

If LE were perfect and infallible, there would be no courts, no lawyers, no trials.

My husband is a swimming teacher, he has a CRB certificate - means nothing - just that he hasn't been caught yet. (That sounds a bit wrong, but if he were a paedo with no convictions, he'd still pass for a CRB check).

That's not entirely true. An enhanced CRB Disclosure (the type that is required for teachers and usually for lifeguards) can include anything known to the police, including reprimands and final warnings, cautions and investigations that didn't lead to conviction. It is up to the prospective employer to decide how this information is used. Some minor indiscretion from years ago and that is not relevant to the job concerned is likely to be overlooked. Any hint of inappropriate behaviour with children would not be overlooked.

I'm not clear when MB worked as a lifeguard at the Leisure Centre, though - it could have been before the introduction of CRB checks.

All should try, if making a statement of fact, to back it up with the MSM source if possible. Memory can play tricks and it takes little to lead the march of thread discourse down the wrong track.

Thanks. Many times I have wanted to say something & quote the source, I just don't know how too! The fear of someone saying "where does it say that?" puts me off. So I just read on & I hope another (more savvy) poster will do it for me & cover what I want to say. Where can I learn how to find/quote sources?

Is there a sex offender map in Wales for locals to search online in case you are moving to an area?

My question is, when a trial is all said and done, do you have access to what actually happened or is it relayed by the Mirror, DailyMail, SkyNews? I'm flustered...no court docs...I better read up on UK law more.

It just goes silent until the court case and then we hear the full horrible allegations including whatever evidence they have, which must be pretty compelling.

Unless there's a leak to the press of course. Then you hear "a source said".

As SapphireSteel wrote, it is highly unlikely although not entirely unknown. Had MB helped LE by leading them to the body, the CPS would probably not have pressed the charge of perverting the course of justice, but that does not seem to have happened.

While there is no plea bargaining in the UK, MB will be told that if he pleads guilty at the earliest opportunity, his prison tariff is likely to be reduced if found guilty - by up to a third if he pleads guilty today. However, if he is guilty it will be a life sentence, so the tariff will be the actual number of years he has to serve before even being considered for parole. That is likely to be up to 30 years for murdering a child.

Is there a sex offender map in Wales for locals to search online in case you are moving to an area?

No. If you are the parent or guardian of a child and are suspicious of a particular person, you can apply to the police under the Child Sex Offenders Disclosure Scheme ("Sarah's Law") for confidential disclosure of any known risk posed by that person. Such disclosure is at the discretion of the police, and revealing any information they give to a third party risks an unlimited fine.

My question is, when a trial is all said and done, do you have access to what actually happened or is it relayed by the Mirror, DailyMail, SkyNews? I'm flustered...no court docs...I better read up on UK law more.

The details of the trial will be reported in the media as it happens (the judge can direct that certain information is withheld until after conviction). Court transcripts of important cases are available on line, mainly from http://www.bailii.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE