Deceased/Not Found UK - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 1 Oct 2012 #6 *M. Bridger guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But you may be comparing Apples to Oranges. It is my understanding that child murders are far more likely to be committed by family. I don't have a link, it's just part of my knowledge base from hanging out here on WS. Since the US statistic specifies, "abduction murders" I'd say that's a subset of all child murders. Parents don't need to abduct their children in order to murder them, unless they are non custodial.

So, 53% of abduction murders are committed by strangers, but it says nothing about the percentage of ALL child murders that are done by strangers. The number is quite small. The UK stat you give refers to all murders. The stats for the US for all child murders are similar, most are committed by people known to the child.
You're quite right, greenpalm.
In 2010/11, there were 56 victims under 16 years of age, compared with 51 victims in the previous year. Of all the offences currently recorded as homicide in 2010/11 (636 victims), nine per cent involved victims under the age of 16, a similar proportion to the eight per cent in 2009/10.

As in previous years, the majority of victims aged under 16 were acquainted with their principal suspect (77%, 43 offences), and in most cases they were killed by a parent or step-parent (64%, 36 offences)

Proportionally few homicides of those aged under 16 are committed by strangers. In just over one in ten homicides in 2010/11 (11%; 6 offences) the victim was known to have been killed by a stranger. This compares with two offences in 2009/10 (4%).
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/public.../crime-research/hosb0212/hosb0212?view=Binary

I'm wondering why the police haven't removed Bridger's FB from public view entirely? I know it may hold possible clues and they will have no doubt exhausted these but it's odd that they have left it up for anyone to look at , even if all we can see is when he last updated his profile picture.
They may be harvesting the IP's that look at the page.

I am trying to follow this with difficulty as I have never been on fb. Would it be possible for another person to change your profile pic? I think fake profiles have been mentioned, can anyone set one up with a false name and photo?
Anyone with your password could change your profile.

My advice, though unsolicited, to our newer members is this:

If you have a problem with a post for any reason hit the alert symbol in the post (it's the red triangle next to the post number) to notify the moderator. Attack the post, not the poster (mods will say to take out the word 'You' - it really does help. And if there's somebody you truly cannot abide there is an Ignore feature in your User CP. It's saved a lot of my hair and kept me wrinkle free (almost) while following several other cases. :great: HTH

Anyone with your password could change your profile.

I see - I think ! Not impossible then for someone else to have changed his pic to the one with the rifle, or even maybe deliberately set it up as a fake ? I realise this is getting into the realms of conspiracy theories, but could be done ?

I see - I think ! Not impossible then for someone else to have changed his pic to the one with the rifle, or even maybe deliberately set it up as a fake ? I realise this is getting into the realms of conspiracy theories, but could be done ?
Anyone can set up a fake page on Facebook, but only someone with your password could change your own personal page. As the forearm tattoo is the same as the one in the Venice pic which the daily mail took from MB's facebook page, I doubt the sniper image is faked. The swimming pool and shark image also came from MB's page, those too have gone. Clearly someone has access to his page, it could be the police, or even a family member who has done it. All you need is the persons email address and password and you're in.

Yes if someone knows your password they can log in and change what they like, its also easy to set up another account with another email address, plus if log in details are saved to a computer then it would log you in automatically, there is a term used on FB called fraped (short for "facebook raped") meaning when you have left your FB logged in and another user goes on and enters status updates or changes things, mostly teens friends do it to each other cause they think its funny, but its because fb login details have been saved to that PC or mobile phone.

Also, have been following this case but not posting on here - I had a look at some FB pages re: MB earlier and a lot of people seem to be protesting his innocence. Is anyone here thinking along similar lines?
I don't think anyone here can say definitively one way or another - we just don't know enough and won't for some time.

These are my rather convoluted thoughts though, so far:
No body cases brought to trial are rare. I can literally count on one hand the number of child victims and still have a couple of fingers left. My sense of logic dictates CPS wouldn't have pursued charges if they weren't confident of a conviction and without a body the evidence will have to be all the stronger to convince a jury BARD. Of course the accused is innocent until such time as that evidence is presented to a jury.

Lots of people erroneously believe if a person charged with such a heinous crime doesn't fit their personal definition of what a monster should appear to be (whether it's appearance, criminal history, personality, etc.) then they can't be a monster. (There's actually scientific research that's been done to support this theory in relevance to criminal convictions and the defendant's appearance.) The one thing I've learned in following true crime cases for most of my life is that there are always anomalies. A father with seemingly no criminal record, no history of known violence, can murder a child and sadly it would not set a precedent because it has happened before.

As for the community, family, friends, and neighbours of the accused...well...I think for many there will always be a sense of disbelief even if he is convicted. Very, very few murderers (even serial killers) are ever deemed guilty by people who have known and even loved them. That reality I think is just too much for many to bear.

JMO and FWIW

I doubt the sniper image is faked.
I'm not convinced either way. The tattoo although shown from a different angle to the Venice pic does not look exactly the same. The guy on FB looks much balder, no facial hair, fuller face. Not a clear pic though and I believe taken with a long or zoom lens which can distort the image. Let's say I have reasonable doubt it ain't the same fellow.

Yes if someone knows your password they can log in and change what they like, its also easy to set up another account with another email address, plus if log in details are saved to a computer then it would log you in automatically, there is a term used on FB called fraped (short for "facebook rapped") meaning when you have left your FB logged in and another user goes on and enters status updates or changes things, mostly teens friends do it to each other cause they think its funny, but its because fb login details have been saved to that PC or mobile phone.

Thanks for this, it is all becoming a bit clearer to me now - taking me off on another tangent though !!

Also, have been following this case but not posting on here - I had a look at some FB pages re: MB earlier and a lot of people seem to be protesting his innocence. Is anyone here thinking along similar lines?
I'm not protesting his innocence, but there are some things that don't seem to add up. Other than MB's age, he fits the perfect profile for this sort of crime, but so does one other closely connected to him.

We shall have to wait and see.

I'm not convinced either way. The tattoo although shown from a different angle to the Venice pic does not look exactly the same. The guy on FB looks much balder, no facial hair, fuller face. Not a clear pic though and I believe taken with a long or zoom lens which can distort the image. Let's say I have reasonable doubt it ain't the same fellow.

The FB page in question is on his son's Friend list. That seems to confirm that it is not a fake.

Oh i see, well false memory is one thing, deliberately distorting it on the stand is another and if anyone does i should hope they get the full perjury charges**

Well, any decent defence lawyer should shred any BS in five minutes

Will the jury members be from all over the UK? Or just from wales?

**correct, and the witnesses make statements at the time (now) and are asked to speak to them and cross-examined on them at trial. If the story changes there has to be a good reason why and it will be discredited.

Facebook stats have shown that its users are vain and post images that make them look younger, or cooler than they actually are.

And the FB pic is in profile (side view), I haven't seen any others of MB that are, all are front on.
We don't know how old some of the photos are in MSM, no video footage of him except covered by a blanket going into court.
Photo taken at pub with him and VF and others pixellated may not have been recent, i.e. when they were in relationship. Even so, in that photo and the 'dinosaur head' he looks a bit different from the close up, shaved hair photo used by police.

I'm not protesting his innocence, but there are some things that don't seem to add up. Other than MB's age, he fits the perfect profile for this sort of crime, but so does one other closely connected to him.

We shall have to wait and see.

Have police said they aren't seeking any other person in relation to the enquiry? Just interested to know. Seem to remember DS Bevan saying they weren't seeking any other vehicle but that was all.

Hi guys, just catching up with some of the overnight (my time) posts. Seems to have almost ended up in the realms of crop circles and UFO's (don't hit me :-) :twocents:]
It is interesting to read though and the saying 'truth is stranger than fiction', is borne out every day.

Anyway, still no joy in finding little one it seems :-( :-(

(Need coffee, off to Maccas)

I've had badly swollen hands and not been able to post much after the first few days, but read every post, every day. I'm sort of bemused at this obsession with FBookers, though I understand it's an insight to 'potential clues' personal characters, etc. As regards profile pictures, I wouldn't read too much into them, though I realise others do, mostly when they've something negative to say; ie, my barrister nephews' profile pic is him looking like a happy scruffbag, much to his (snooty) mothers' disgust. And as much as I love it, (just looks to me he's having a ball) it was noted by a senior in his firm who insisted he change it as it 'didn't give the best image of the Firm', pretentious git. He refused, naturally, on the grounds it was HIS fb page, for fun and social chat (no hearts and blood account of his life or when his next pee was) and not to be taken seriously. Created a bit of unneccessary angst, simply on others' perceptions. Sorry to drag the point.

IMO if the police had any adult witness to the abduction they would not be putting very young children on the stand.

Indeed they would in a case such as this, they would use any witness at their disposal irrespective of age, as difficult as it may prove to be.

Firstly, the child witness doesn't know it was a LRD or Toyota, I was pointing out a similar shape and colour vehicle on the same estate. <<< rsbm>>>

Not sure why you've become so interested in the Toyota just because you've found it on google 'walkabout'. Neither you, nor anyone else, knows what the child witness does/doesn't know. No doubt by the time i've posted this, many will have said the same. Not having a go Paddy, just saying.

no
There was no friendly pool photo before the sniper one prove it

There was. Since you admittedly know nothing of fb, you'll accept there's no way of proving it, save someone had taken a 'screenmunch' - a snapshot of a photo on the net. Though no doubt, one will surface somewhere :))

Neither do I, I'd hate anyone to know I listed my occupation as "A STONER"

Lighten up Paddy, the young often say things like this on FB, makes them look cool, man.

I must be psychic then and dreamt that photo before it appeared anywhere else on the internet :dunno:

:floorlaugh::p And perhaps before it was even taken ... are you Sally (Something, can't remember her charlatan name) in disguise? Ah you can't be, you got something right :)

Do link, ta

bump

Did he take part instoning guilty muslim women?

Have u a link to him saying he was a stoner, dont post and not link, its v bad manners

To use your own words in previous posts, what are you on about here? What has stoning muslim women got to do with MB's innocence/guilt? Although likely answered by now I'll say anyway, I do believe it's MB's son who had stoner on profile. You must know by now a link cannot be produced to something that has been removed. No need to reply to the Muslim comment, I know you were being 'wise'. :)

I'm wondering why the police haven't removed Bridger's FB from public view entirely? I know it may hold possible clues and they will have no doubt exhausted these but it's odd that they have left it up for anyone to look at , even if all we can see is when he last updated his profile picture.

They don't have the power to remove it. Though they do have the power to jail an ignorant young boy for 3 months for putting a 'sick joke' on fb in relation to little AJ, as inflammatory and adding to the familys' grief. British justice at it's most ironic, and seemingly made up 'as they go along'. Btw, just to be clear, I'm in agreement about the 'joke', but not about the prison sentence.

I am trying to follow this with difficulty as I have never been on fb. Would it be possible for another person to change your profile pic? I think fake profiles have been mentioned, can anyone set one up with a false name and photo?

On the 'real' page set up originally by MB, only he, or someone with access to his password, can change anything on that page. Clearly someone has that knowledge, as the page has gone to private since he was taken into custody. He wouldn't be allowed access to a pc.

I don't think anyone here can say definitively one way or another - we just don't know enough and won't for some time.

These are my rather convoluted thoughts though, so far:
No body cases brought to trial are rare. I can literally count on one hand the number of child victims and still have a couple of fingers left. My sense of logic dictates CPS wouldn't have pursued charges if they weren't confident of a conviction and without a body the evidence will have to be all the stronger to convince a jury BARD. Of course the accused is innocent until such time as that evidence is presented to a jury.

Lots of people erroneously believe if a person charged with such a heinous crime doesn't fit their personal definition of what a monster should appear to be (whether it's appearance, criminal history, personality, etc.) then they can't be a monster. (There's actually scientific research that's been done to support this theory in relevance to criminal convictions and the defendant's appearance.) The one thing I've learned in following true crime cases for most of my life is that there are always anomalies. A father with seemingly no criminal record, no history of known violence, can murder a child and sadly it would not set a precedent because it has happened before.

As for the community, family, friends, and neighbours of the accused...well...I think for many there will always be a sense of disbelief even if he is convicted. Very, very few murderers (even serial killers) are ever deemed guilty by people who have known and even loved them. That reality I think is just too much for many to bear.

JMO and FWIW

I couldn't agree more, I've witnessed pretty much the above (almost) first hand. JMO

The FB page in question is on his son's Friend list. That seems to confirm that it is not a fake.

LB, you misunderstood. I certainly wasn't doubting the authenticity of the FB page at all (websleuthers have already well verified this point having found the profile through people who have MB listed as a friend).

I am, however, questioning the authenticity of the profile pic ie. I'm not 100% convinced it is MB in the pic (even though he says it is), you know, his being a fantasist and all, and for the other reasons I posted.
Not that is matters if it's him in the pic or not. It still sends a message either way.

o/t - Is anyone finding they have to log in everytime they return to WS, even if on another site for just a minute or two, or when you refresh the page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968