UK - Arthur Labinjo Hughes, 6, killed, dad & friend arrested, June 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought baby P's case couldn't get any more sickening, that's horrendous.

I thought baby P's case couldn't get any more sickening, that's horrendous.
It's awful isn't it. I understand that everyone has the right to legal representation but to question a little girl about an event she didn't fully understand, and try (however gently) to dispute her version of events is sickening.

I don’t believe for a second that Arthur was “put in the shower” merely as a confined space. With everything else these monsters did it wouldn’t surprise me if he was waterboarded too.
This was at the back of my mind, I hope it's not true, but Emma clearly hated Arthur and I'm sure any and every conceivable punishment would have been considered

It's a torture technique. It involves a person lying back,and pouring water over their face to simulate drowning.
Have you ever been in the shower soaking your face and accidentally inhaled under the water? Same sensation
Omg, that sounds horrific ! I hope Arthur never had to endure that but nothing would surprise me !

I’ve been following the thread and reading all the posts and, like all of you, I’m horrified.
Just when you think nothing can surprise you any more, along comes a case like this.

Poor little Arthur. I think his dad had no idea how to parent when he found himself a full time dad and unfortunately he met Emma Tustin shortly afterwards with disastrous consequences.
She clearly is mentally unstable and resented Arthur. She enjoyed torturing him and dressed it up to dad as discipline.

Dad should have known that her methods of discipline were abuse, he shouldn’t have joined in. He should have run for the hills with Arthur, swallowed his pride and gone back to his mum’s, or his nan’s house which was empty at the time!
He had that choice. How easily all this could have been avoided

I have no idea how SS missed Arthur’s bruises or why the school were satisfied with being fobbed off that Arthur was ok .
Phone calls are not acceptable when a child has been absent for so long. The headteacher should have gone to the property to see him.
Having said that though, they’d probably have managed to pull the wool over their eyes even then.

Doubtless, the school staff are guilt ridden over this and it’s easy to look back with hindsight. There hadn’t been concerns over Arthur before lockdown so I think that went towards them taking dad’s word that all was ok. Of course if dad said they weren’t ok then they too could have intervened.

The only true guilty parties are Thomas Hughes and Emma Tustin.

There was so much help available to Thomas Hughes but he chose to avoid it all and stay with this toxic relationship.

Arthur’s grandparents must be absolutely heartbroken by what’s happened and I hope for them and all who knew and loved Arthur - and Arthur himself- that justice is served and these two get very long sentences and are not allowed near children again.

I’ve been following the thread and reading all the posts and, like all of you, I’m horrified.
Just when you think nothing can surprise you any more, along comes a case like this.

Poor little Arthur. I think his dad had no idea how to parent when he found himself a full time dad and unfortunately he met Emma Tustin shortly afterwards with disastrous consequences.
She clearly is mentally unstable and resented Arthur. She enjoyed torturing him and dressed it up to dad as discipline.

Dad should have known that her methods of discipline were abuse, he shouldn’t have joined in. He should have run for the hills with Arthur, swallowed his pride and gone back to his mum’s, or his nan’s house which was empty at the time!
He had that choice. How easily all this could have been avoided

I have no idea how SS missed Arthur’s bruises or why the school were satisfied with being fobbed off that Arthur was ok .
Phone calls are not acceptable when a child has been absent for so long. The headteacher should have gone to the property to see him.
Having said that though, they’d probably have managed to pull the wool over their eyes even then.

Doubtless, the school staff are guilt ridden over this and it’s easy to look back with hindsight. There hadn’t been concerns over Arthur before lockdown so I think that went towards them taking dad’s word that all was ok. Of course if dad said they weren’t ok then they too could have intervened.

The only true guilty parties are Thomas Hughes and Emma Tustin.

There was so much help available to Thomas Hughes but he chose to avoid it all and stay with this toxic relationship.

Arthur’s grandparents must be absolutely heartbroken by what’s happened and I hope for them and all who knew and loved Arthur - and Arthur himself- that justice is served and these two get very long sentences and are not allowed near children again.
Reading his testimony in court- he seems utterly spineless. He wasn't allowed to feed his son because she said no, Emma said when punishments were to begin/end. When he spoke about sitting in the hall with Arthur so he wasn't alone. And when they were alone she was messaging constantly telling him how bad Arthur was.
This little boys voice was taken away completely. Its very much what Emma said, goes.
He watched as her son beat up his son. And sat in as she lied to social workers about how this event unfolded.
I just can't wrap my head around how things got so bad so quickly. And how he allowed an unrelated female, who had no emotional bond to Arthur and was a virtual stranger to dictate his son's life.

Just to go back a step, I know it’s been said that it isn’t joint enterprise. But when you look for the CPS guidelines it takes you to secondary liability.
Secondary Liability: charging decisions on principals and accessories | The Crown Prosecution Service
So does this mean Emma is D1 and Tom is D2? Scottish law is different so I'm struggling to understand some aspects of English law in this case. Tom has been charged with murder - could that be downgraded at sentencing phase ie if the jury doesn't find him guilty of murder but find he encouraged the final act?

In the USA it is called "law of parties" when all conspirators are equally guilty.
To me, where did he logically think this was going to end? To be so early into a relationship, and for it to be going so badly wrong between them. All the while Emma is saying 'it's all Arthur's fault', 'hit him and come and join us', 'I want you, I don't want him'. Where did he think this was going to go?

To me, where did he logically think this was going to end? To be so early into a relationship, and for it to be going so badly wrong between them. All the while Emma is saying 'it's all Arthur's fault', 'hit him and come and join us', 'I want you, I don't want him'. Where did he think this was going to go?
They are not the best publicity for "Plenty of fish", are they? (date website)
I dont know about you, but for me the very name is fishy!

Last edited:
They are not the best publicity for "Plenty od fish", are they? (date website)
I dont know about you, but for me the very name is fishy!
Haha!
I'm struggling to understand why a grown man would be forced to marry someone he didn't want to! He does remind me of a dead fish, just floating through life with no purpose or direction - very apt they met on that dating site.
Martwa ryba

These dating websites have made it too easy for predators and people need to be careful, especially when they have children dependant on them.
I agree. People can sign up looking specifically for people with children. I think people seem to be in such a rush to find a new mum or dad for their kids. They don't seem to take the time to get to know someone properly. I'd not be introducing a new partner to my children for at least a year! People confuse lust and love, I'd have to be sure he was a good guy, and I'd have the confidence to walk away if my children didn't like him. And I'm damned sure no new partner would dictate how my children were treated.

Haha!
I'm struggling to understand why a grown man would be forced to marry someone he didn't want to! He does remind me of a dead fish, just floating through life with no purpose or direction - very apt they met on that dating site.
Martwa ryba
Haha
But maybe I shouldn't pick on the name of this site, but come on!
It doesn't sound too alluring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member