UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, York University, 18 March 2009 - Chef - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been keeping up, but didn't post.

1: Snelling's a non smoker, who uses a profile pic with cig in hand?
2: he seems such an obvious suspect; workmate, hung out in same pub, lived nearby....I would have hoped he could have been looked at/excluded or charged way before this.
3: His house was searched before and digging was done? I didn't hear anything about that in the media
4: Police stress they haven't found Claudia's body and won't rule out further arrests????

I am a little cautious about this arrest. Not least because, this guy seems such an obvious suspect, I can't believe he wasn't cleared or charged when Claudia first disappeared. What took police so long?

BIB
I agree.
I hope very much that this isnt a case of the * new team * thinking that they have to come up with something, to justify their existence, and pulling up a line of enquiry that had actually been thoroughly researched before.

I would be interested to know ( although I doubt we will be told ) just what is this new DNA technique that was not available 5 years ago.

Also, again from what I remember, the cigarette butt is not new. Someone, I think one of Claudia's family, mentioned that it had been found right at the beginning of the case - so seems strange that they are majoring on this now ?

I'm guessing they don't have any firm evidence if they have released him on bail, although I have to admit to being a little shaky about how bail etc works.

I was surprised that the BBC article says
Extensive searches of the area were made, but she was not found and police have since treated her disappearance as murder.

I always got the impression they thought she had run away, there was a lot about Amsterdam for a while, and her various relationships. Mind you, maybe that's just the media's slant on it, rather than the police.

I think the cigarette wasn't new, but they have only just been able to extract DNA from it, which is why it's come back into play?

Re Bail.

As far as I understand it, the 96 hour ( maximum ) detention clock is paused when someone is released on bail, and is re started when that person is taken back into custody.

So with MS, it would appear that they have held him for questioning for 36 hours ( which is the maximum the police can do without having to ask a magistrate to grant extra time ) but have now decided that it is better to release him, rather than * waste* more of their 96 hour maximum with him in custody, when they are still waiting for results from the house searches ( and any other tests they are carrying out ).

This way, they can recall him ( if needed ) and still have 60 hours left on the clock for further questioning.

Police have completed a third day of searches and are not finished yet, it seems. Also 'sniffer dogs' have been brought in. I hope that is just media's casual reporting, and it is actually cadaver dogs being used in this search.....I'm sure it must be. After so long, I cannot believe police would think they are looking for a live Claudia.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...f_searches_in_Claudia_Lawrence_investigation/

ETA: On the mother's home.

I saw a picture somewhere - I think it was Snelling's home? I noticed, there was a terrace in the backyard. Nothing wrong with that, except....

The terrace was not outside the back of the house, so a person would still step out of the back door in the rain, onto a muddy lawn.

It was outside the BACK of the garage, where there was no exit for the car....just seemed a funny place to put one, in my opinion, because I couldn't really see any reason for it being there. I am guessing police have lifted that all up now.

If...just if Claudia was buried in a backyard, I think the perp would have moved her by now, with all the continuing attention over the years. There may still be traces of her, but I think that's all it would be. She will be somewhere else - up on the moors, probably.

If...just if Claudia was buried in a backyard, I think the perp would have moved her by now, with all the continuing attention over the years. There may still be traces of her, but I think that's all it would be. She will be somewhere else - up on the moors, probably.

There has been a lot of construction up at the university over the last few years, one 'local theory' is that she is under one of them. I did notice though yesterday, new buildings houses/apartments, some built, some still under construction, very close to Burnholme Grove and all there is to one side of them are fields.

Being very local to this I can't help but theorise and something that has always screamed out to me is the old railway line that runs under the bridge, right by the sighting in melrosegate, I have walked that sooo many times, as well as all around Burnholme having walked home from school that way a gazillion times. I don't know if its relevant at all but considering the location of MS's house, if he is the perp, it really screams possibilities to me. It may not be, just from the beginning its been an area of interest to me, how someone could easily have been taken down that way at that time of the morning when it would have been so quiet.

Sorry I'm just rambling now.

UPDATED: CLAUDIA LAWRENCE: House searches continue for a third day

A lot of work going on at the garage (photos at link)

What could this be?

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11214672.UPDATED__CLAUDIA_LAWRENCE__House_searches_continue_for_a_third_day/?ref=var_0

Being very local to this I can't help but theorise and something that has always screamed out to me is the old railway line that runs under the bridge, right by the sighting in melrosegate, I have walked that sooo many times, as well as all around Burnholme having walked home from school that way a gazillion times. I don't know if its relevant at all but considering the location of MS's house, if he is the perp, it really screams possibilities to me. It may not be, just from the beginning its been an area of interest to me, how someone could easily have been taken down that way at that time of the morning when it would have been so quiet.

A couple of pics to show my thinking behind this theory.

Attachments

• old railway line.jpg
    old railway line.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 72
  • railway line.JPG
    railway line.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 61
I saw a picture somewhere - I think it was Snelling's home? I noticed, there was a terrace in the backyard. Nothing wrong with that, except....

The terrace was not outside the back of the house, so a person would still step out of the back door in the rain, onto a muddy lawn.

It was outside the BACK of the garage, where there was no exit for the car....just seemed a funny place to put one, in my opinion, because I couldn't really see any reason for it being there. I am guessing police have lifted that all up now.

This pic?

article-2627016-1DCE0D4000000578-836_634x455.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2627016/Man-arrested-suspicion-Claudia-Lawrence-murder.html

It does seem odd but there is not much more room in that back garden to put a patio. Having said that, the man described as a 'ghost' by neighbours who kept himself to himself, was single with no kids, you wouldn't think he would have a lot of BBQ's and whatnot to warrant putting in a patio.

The police have been watching this guy for years it seems. Reminds me of a case in bournemouth where they knew who had murdered a woman in her own home, but they wanted to wait until they had evidence which would 100% send him down. They put him under surveillance for 3 years before catching him hiding in bushes with a knife and some rope to get his next victim.
Sounds like a similar situation here.
I would say they are pretty certain it is him, but haven't got the crucial piece of evidence yet.
It's not likely that the body is in the garden of either of these homes. It will be well hidden.

The police have been watching this guy for years it seems. Reminds me of a case in bournemouth where they knew who had murdered a woman in her own home, but they wanted to wait until they had evidence which would 100% send him down. They put him under surveillance for 3 years before catching him hiding in bushes with a knife and some rope to get his next victim.
Sounds like a similar situation here.
I would say they are pretty certain it is him, but haven't got the crucial piece of evidence yet.
It's not likely that the body is in the garden of either of these homes. It will be well hidden.

rbbm

Now that might be a place where a body is well hidden, literally ....
Any wells nearby?

Wondering if Mr S. ever helped "do" his Mom's hair or had CL to do it?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...ia-lawrence-investigation-more-police-7128914
bbm.

"His neighbour explained how Mr Snelling travelled back to Tyneside every weekend to visit his mother and take her out.

He is also a Newcastle United season ticket holder who would attend matches when he came back.

Mr Robinson added: “He did everything for his mam and he used to come up here every weekend to look after her and for Newcastle United matches.”

naming him publicly and conducting such a thorough search at multiple properties, LE must be pretty sure they have the right man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214