Recovered/Located UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon & Newborn, left a broken down car on motorway, Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
initially i had thought it was a matter of "keeping up appearances" according to her connections and status. so, just to clarify, do you think then that if it were anyone else, in a different social position, the same would happen? I am not convinced, but i do not know much about the system in the uk so thanks for the info.
It would be done the same regardless. This is a good example although a bit more obvious there are big safeguarding concerns due to the ages of the children and reference to visiting and guardian.

Urgent hunt for missing mum and 2 children after 'they didn't return from shop'

The police will always delete the original appeals once found and they will never expand. Generally they won't issue appeals unless there is a very specific concern and home birthing wouldn't come under that.

I hope they are found soon.

The area in which they disappeared from is a very deprived area, think generations of working class people. There is a massive issue with anti social behaviour and drugs. I live here so can say that with confidence. Does anyone know where they were actually living? All I can see is that they were travelling on the motorway?

I can't imagine with the funds they have available that they would be living in Bolton. A southerner with a Dorset accent sticks out like a sore thumb there.

They haven't half done serious mileage. They haven't said where they are from originally as she hasn't lived in Dorset for years.
<modsnip - no link for image>

Last edited by a moderator:
They’ve been (semi)-missing/on the run?/on their uk tour for a long time now. Longer than I expected once the sightings started coming in.
Class, unfortunately, does play a huge role in the UK. But it’s hard to add anything to this conversation without going around in circles. I hope they’re all found safe and sound soon

Just a few thoughts.

I don't find it surprising that they were in east London. I know plenty of young, relatively wealthy people who moved to London post-uni and the more bohemian headed to east London. Some are still there and have either bought or are renting. CM is a similar age to me (a little younger). She also is mutual friends with someone on Facebook and moving to east London is exactly what this particular person did in her 20s.

i also believe she went to acting school in east London a few years ago, showing it is somewhere she is familiar with.

I have seen the reason for heading to Bolton may have been with an aim of getting to the ferry to go to Ireland, however the car allegedly caught fire and it seems they didn’t continue their journey.

i can’t find out anything about her partner. <modsnip - rumor>

The media is less than clear on that point.My impression is that they bought a
Were they definitely living in Bolton, or did they just abandon the car there? I don't think it's been made clear.
car in Greater Manchester, which broke down on the M61 in Bolton. My question would also be: How soon after the car fire did Constance give birth and where??? The car broke down around 6.30 pm, so already dark in northern England...Any ideas???

Can the baby breathe under that zipped up parka? yikes

I did worry the same at this picture, and the one released last week taken from a bridge I think. It's possible that she has the baby in a sling or wrap against her body - I say that as someone who babywore, and it's slightly a "hippy" way, as CM appears - however, no material should cover a child (from the padding of the coat + body heat), nor the scarf covering chest/baby's head (if baby is there)). It could be very thin material indeed, but, lack of oxygen + overheating and also obstruction of open airways (from way a baby may lay funny as they cannot control/move their heads to open airways better). Worth replying and highlighting, regarding correct babywearing. There are specific babywearing hoodies one can purchase with holes for baby's face, it will be worn over a baby carrier. Sometimes you may find carriers with hoods to keep severe weather off of baby's head/face, that's usually like a flap with detachable sides.

Last edited:
Re: torching the car, my thinking was they may have done it to try and prevent the authorities identifying it as theirs, but you're right about it drawing attention (although they may not have been thinking rationally). It's also entirely possible they bought an old banger for cash specifically for this journey and it was so clapt out it broke down and caught fire.

Another possibility that occurred to me (possibly a long shot) is if CM has a history of postpartum psychosis and gave birth out of hospital where her mood couldn't be monitored it could explain a lot - the erratic behaviour of the parents, the we-just-want-to-help messaging of the police and their activity which suggests they may fear an imminent danger to life.

According to the NHS, symptoms can include delusions, feeling suspicious and fearful, and acting out of character. It can get worse quickly and endanger mother & child. Just a thought, but it would explain the high profile it's getting - mother and baby in danger - and the gaps of what they're not saying as this kind of medical information would understandably kept private.
I did wonder that but I thought maybe if it was that, the messages would be more to him - as in, please look after your partner and help her get help. The fact the messages seem to be aimed at her implies, to me, more of a DV or coercive control situation.

Yes. Americans who brand discussion of her background as "conspiratorial" clearly don't understand how profoundly the class system shapes British society. It's extraordinary, almost surreal, that someone of her social position has ended up in this situation. And the media's softly-softly approach is almost certainly due to her family's privilege.
I agree completely - if she was from a different background, I think the coverage would be very different.

let's face it, her family have enough money to sue the likes of the Daily Mail or the Scum should they publish anything they don't like (regardless of their relationship with her). If the person in question was from a lower class, I suspect the DM would have already done the whole "Mum on run after 4th child to be taken away" type headlines.

Just a few thoughts.

I don't find it surprising that they were in east London. I know plenty of young, relatively wealthy people who moved to London post-uni and the more bohemian headed to east London. Some are still there and have either bought or are renting. CM is a similar age to me (a little younger). She also is mutual friends with someone on Facebook and moving to east London is exactly what this particular person did in her 20s.

i also believe she went to acting school in east London a few years ago, showing it is somewhere she is familiar with.

I have seen the reason for heading to Bolton may have been with an aim of getting to the ferry to go to Ireland, however the car allegedly caught fire and it seems they didn’t continue their journey.

i can’t find out anything about her partner. <modsnip - rumor>

If you search Constamce Marten on fb, there is an article with about 15 comments and one of them might give insight into him, if true. JMO.

Just a few thoughts.

i can’t find out anything about her partner.<modsnip - rumor>
Yes, when googling "Constance Marten", she´s listed as having either graduated from or being a student at an acting school (now part of the University of Essex) in 2016.One of the campuses of this school is in suburban-- Essex/NE London, not very far from Newham, so she´s clearly quite familiar with this area.I believe that she might possibly be in hiding there, right now.....I can´t help feeling deeply saddened how a woman with this extremely privileged ( at least in a material and social sense) background could have ended up in this awful situation to begin with. It is true that some members of her father´s family (the Barons Alington/Sturt family) have been somewhat eccentric and bohemian/unconventional, but even so....She (Constance or "Toots" which is her nickname) was a conventional upper-class girl until at least her early 20s, known as a great society beauty of her generation (I know this sounds a bit like "Downton Abbey", but this is still largely the way of the British aristocracy!). She´s without question extremely intelligent and highly gifted and quite possibly in the midst of some kind of "rebellion" against her privileged up-bringing...That could be a healthy thing in moderation, but also, of course, potentially dangerous, too...I so wish that she and her baby shall be found very soon indeed!!!

Yes, when googling "Constance Marten", she´s listed as having either graduated from or being a student at an acting school (now part of the University of Essex) in 2016.One of the campuses of this school is in suburban-- Essex/NE London, not very far from Newham, so she´s clearly quite familiar with this area.I believe that she might possibly be in hiding there, right now.....I can´t help feeling deeply saddened how a woman with this extremely privileged ( at least in a material and social sense) background could have ended up in this awful situation to begin with. It is true that some members of her father´s family (the Barons Alington/Sturt family) have been somewhat eccentric and bohemian/unconventional, but even so....She (Constance or "Toots" which is her nickname) was a conventional upper-class girl until at least her early 20s, known as a great society beauty of her generation (I know this sounds a bit like "Downton Abbey", but this is still largely the way of the British aristocracy!). She´s without question extremely intelligent and highly gifted and quite possibly in the midst of some kind of "rebellion" against her privileged up-bringing...That could be a healthy thing in moderation, but also, of course, potentially dangerous, too...I so wish that she and her baby shall be found very soon indeed!!!

Definitely worrying regarding potentially having other children as well. A woman, children, a mother - it's all so concerning, my heart goes out to her and her baby. I hope they will be found and supported and the future will be stable and happy for mother and children moving forward.

If you search Constamce Marten on fb, there is an article with about 15 comments and one of them might give insight into him, if true. JMO.
Thank you, I read this article but before that comment appeared. I thought that would be the missing piece of the puzzle. <modsnip - not victim friendly>

it seems she had her children in very quick succession between probably 2017 and 2020. <modsnip - not victim friendly>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members