UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget that there is no evidence of any crime having been committed.

That is really worth pointing out.

The police have spent millions looking for a non-vulnerable adult despite there being NO evidence that he had been a victim of a crime.

I was pretty sceptical of SP early on in the investigation, and I still believe a larger force would have been able to bring more resources to bear, but their response has been pretty thorough over the past year or so.

When Corrie went missing, it was as though he had fallen into a black hole. There were lots of things that might have happened and the police ran them down one by one despite very contradictory evidence as about them.

That is really worth pointing out.

The police have spent millions looking for a non-vulnerable adult despite there being NO evidence that he had been a victim of a crime..

There doesn't have to be evidence of crime for police to get involved. The vast majority of missing persons cases do not involve any crime but police are obliged to investigate.

There doesn't have to be evidence of crime for police to get involved. The vast majority of missing persons cases do not involve any crime but police are obliged to investigate.

Yes, they will usually carry out some preliminary enquiries, but they don't normally go to this sort of expense and effort where the individual is not vulnerable in some way and there's no evidence of a crime.

ETA: unless Corrie's depression made him a vulnerable person in the eyes of the police, though his mental health problems did not emerge publicly for some months.

When is the search due to end? Once the current cell is finished? Will there then be pressure to look at other cells?

Police seem to believe he is in there, because they have no other solid theory?

Yes, they will usually carry out some preliminary enquiries, but they don't normally go to this sort of expense and effort where the individual is not vulnerable in some way and there's no evidence of a crime.

ETA: unless Corrie's depression made him a vulnerable person in the eyes of the police, though his mental health problems did not emerge publicly for some months.

To my knowledge, the police were fully aware that he was experiencing mental health issues and that he was regularly being seen here at RAF Marham by the Department of Community Mental Health which is manned by a team of psychiatrists.

This would explain him being classed as a vulnerable person. It would also explain why large parts of the report were redacted as due to the data protection act, patient privacy and armed forces restrictions, his medical files/information cannot be released.

As Melmouth said, the expense and resources used in the attempt to find him, is highly unusual if he is simply classed as another missing, un-vulnerable adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just catching up after being away for sometime.

I don't see that Corrie was considered vulnerable in the eyes of the police. Doesn't this normally apply to those of a much younger age, or even possibly elderly confused?

He is an adult, employed in the Services, with no obvious mental health issues surely? I have always compared him to the other young guys that go missing after a boozy night out. Very sadly it is not uncommon unfortunately, especially within an area of water.

We really have no intimation that a crime has been committed therefore I am surprised that such an intense search (financial and manpower) has been carried out for nearly a year.

Not meaning to be hardhearted, but this has continued for much longer than is usually given to a missing person in the circumstances.

Is it because he was a member of the Forces? Would/should that make a difference?

His parents have my complete sympathy, I cannot comprehend the loss and devastation they feel, but after following Corrie's disappearance for a year it seems right that the search is brought to an end.
:frown: :rose:

I don't see that Corrie was considered vulnerable in the eyes of the police. Doesn't this normally apply to those of a much younger age, or even possibly elderly confused?

Adults are treated as vulnerable if they are believed to be suicidal, or are known to have physical or mental health issues, or learning difficulties or disabilities.

Gaia Pope, much discussed here on WS recently, was an adult at 19, but the police pulled all the stops out in the search for her partly because initially it was thought she might have been murdered and partly because of her epilepsy, paranoia and erratic behaviour.

And yes, Corrie was being treated for depression.

The huge difference between this case and other missing persons cases is this phone seems to have travelled in a bin lorry which justifies the huge cost of the landfill search.

I don't think police should ever set a maximum budget per missing person.

The huge difference between this case and other missing persons cases is this phone seems to have travelled in a bin lorry which justifies the huge cost of the landfill search.

I don't think police should ever set a maximum budget per missing person.

Couldn't agree more - and I can't think of any missing person investigation where the police have failed to follow up a valid line of enquiry due to costs and/or effort. I don't think this is anything to do with whether or not he's vulnerable - it's simply a duty to investigate a missing person case until all lines of enquiry have been exhausted. This just happens to be a particularly expensive line of enquiry.

From the College of Policing website:

"It will not usually be appropriate for missing person cases to be closed without the individual being seen by the police or a relevant professional."

"Where the missing person has not been found, the case must remain open and be the subject of review."

I understood that police were just going to search cell 22 and then shut that part of the enquiry down. Do we know if there are are any other lines of enquiry to follow up on. Obviously the case won’t be closed just incase new evidence turns up.

ETA. As far as I can see from the report that was carried out, no further enquiries, no third persons involved.

I feel heartbroken for Corrie father. He’s handled this with honesty and decorum. I don’t think that it’s going to be a quiet shelving somehow. I can’t say anymore than that but I’m sure most of you know what I’m talking about.

Yes, Martin has behaved with dignity throughout. If there is any shouting it will come from the distaff line.

But really, I don't see what more can be done until there's something new to go on.

I feel heartbroken for Corrie father. He’s handled this with honesty and decorum. I don’t think that it’s going to be a quiet shelving somehow. I can’t say anymore than that but I’m sure most of you know what I’m talking about.

I'm certainly with you on the second half of your comment, though I don't understand M complaining about SP in that article, unless it's just needing someone at whom to lash out. We've had descriptions from both parents of C's behaviour and as, like many young people, he lived his life on social media with no filters or privacy settings, then the press will dig and use it. Not saying that's right, but they'll find mud if there's any to be slung. Both N and M have been using the media to put out information, but having opposing views is hardly a police matter. IMO SP will have been busy with other things than to worry about he said/she said....

Miss French, sorry don’t know what happened as I was supposed to have quoted you. Oh well .........

The force involved in the search is very small, Bury St Edmunds is relatively small and as you say they police have other things to get on with. Something that certain group of people don’t realise. I’m sure followers of N don’t appreciate that there have been other missing people in the area including a few children but all were found quickly, well the children were, not sure about the adults.

To my knowledge, the police were fully aware that he was experiencing mental health issues and that he was regularly being seen here at RAF Marham by the Department of Community Mental Health which is manned by a team of psychiatrists.

This would explain him being classed as a vulnerable person. It would also explain why large parts of the report were redacted as due to the data protection act, patient privacy and armed forces restrictions, his medical files/information cannot be released.

As Melmouth said, the expense and resources used in the attempt to find him, is highly unusual if he is simply classed as another missing, un-vulnerable adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Melmouth? :laughing:

This is the first time I have heard MM criticize the police. He has always been supportive. I cannot see what more can be done, especially if SP are adamant CM went in the bin and has been crushed. Very sad they could find no evidence of phone, clothes, shoes, wallet or Corrie himself to confirm he went in that bin. Have they found the actual rubbish from that day at all? I still am skeptical that absolutely no trace at all has been found in HS, bin, lorry, transfer station, transfer lorry, incinerator or landfill and that not even the rubbish from that day has turned up seemingly. Odd, just like the circumstances of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46