Identified! UK - David Lytton, South Pennines, 'Neil Dovestone', 65-75, Dec'15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are a couple of things about this case that don't seem consistent with the suicide theory, imo.

Firstly, the man specifically asked the pub landlord for the top of the mountain, but he was found some way short of that. I know it would have been dark by the time he got to the place he was found, but the track is very clear- he could presumably have continued to the top had he really wanted to.

Secondly, the place where he was found seems an odd location to commit suicide, unless there was a significance attached to that precise spot (which would I think rule out a connection to all the events known to be associated with the general area, thus suggesting a more private association). Everything else about the case suggests a desire for anonymity, so why commit suicide right next to a well-used path, when you could easily find a more private spot away from it?

Finally, there's the position the body was found in. As described in the BBC article, it doesn't sound very consistent with death by strychnine poisoning. What would be very interesting to know is for how long after death the muscle spasms that are produced by strychnine poisoning are preserved, and how they interact with rigor mortis. Another interesting point to consider is that the onset of rigor would have been significantly retarded due to the cold conditions. Is it possible that the body was re-positioned some time after death?

I only recently discovered this case despite living in the north of England, I don't remember seeing it in the news or anything like that at the time so it can't have been a big story? But it's very intriguing and unusual, I'm surprised close to one year later and they still haven't identified the man yet, did nothing ever come back regarding the metal plate/rod he had fitted in Pakistan? As it was mentioned back when that excellent BBC article was released (June this year by the looks of it) that they were corresponding with hospitals where the operation could have taken place in Pakistan, I wouldn't have thought it would take six months to get that information though I could be wrong.

And the points raised by Katycat above I agree with, a lot of it doesn't add up or make much sense re. suicide, the way he died and such.

The individual below is featured in facebook page for missing persons in Pakistan (https://www.facebook.com/missingpersonsinpakistan/). Do you think it can be a match for Neil Dovestone?

attachment.php

Nice find! , The ears and nose have some similarities to " Neil Dovestone."
attachment.php

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 262
:bump:

Yesterday was one year anniversary since he was found. Two weeks before Xmas... May he be identified soon.
:rose:

It's a strange case. Dovestones in the dark is an incredibly scary place. And you really wouldn't want to be wandering in the pitch black up there on your own.

I feel on this case there is a story probably unsinister as to why he died there. I don't believe he was murdered or anything like that.

The last I heard the police were in called close to knowing who he was. But still no update.

It's a strange case. Dovestones in the dark is an incredibly scary place. And you really wouldn't want to be wandering in the pitch black up there on your own.

I feel on this case there is a story probably unsinister as to why he died there. I don't believe he was murdered or anything like that.

The last I heard the police were in called close to knowing who he was. But still no update.

bbm - The word "wandering" made me think - could he have had dementia or Alzheimer's? Would they see this in the autopsy? Maybe he did use strichinine recreationally and it was not what killed him. Maybe he just laid down exhausted because he couldn't find his way. That would be tragic but I believe not unheard of with elderly folks suffering from Alzheimer's.

From personally and professional experience, I think the evidence on CCTV does not suggest Alzheimer's. Dementia and Alzheimer's - particularly in later stages when they would wander - would show as brain atrophy at autopsy, as well as the amyloid plaques associated with Alzheimer's. I also think if someone had alzheimer's advanced enough f or them to wander off and die, they would have been reported missing either by carers at home or from a nursing/care home. He would likely have also been known to social services as well as mental health services.

I believe this man knew exactly what he was doing.

JMHO

Thank you lizzi, this makes sense and I'm sure the investigating team has also come to this conclusion.

I agree the man knew what he was doing. You wouldn't travel from Ealing to Greenfield if so. It's a long trip with several changes.

I'm baffled he's still not been recognised yet. The CCTV is quite good.

I used to live in Saddleworth and had many a walk up there. There must be some sentimental link as to why he was there. Not only that but from Ealing to Greenfield (4hours roughly) then to walk from Greenfield station to the Clarence (about a 25 min walk) then a further walk to Dovestones (approx 30 mins) the guy would of been shattered. He must of been in decent physical shape.

It's not mentioned by the meet in the Clarence as to weather the guy was a Northerner or Southerner

"Placeless" accent to me would suggest a home counties accent or may be East Midlands? I mean anywhere really from Lincs Northants Bucks Herts Essex Surrey Oxon

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Surely a placeless accent is subjective, I couldn't differentiate between most southern accents but up here I can tell the difference between towns just a few miles apart. I wonder if he meant "placeless northern" or "placeless southern", those vowel sounds make all the difference. For example did he say path or parth, that kind of thing.

Surely a placeless accent is subjective, I couldn't differentiate between most southern accents but up here I can tell the difference between towns just a few miles apart. I wonder if he meant "placeless northern" or "placeless southern", those vowel sounds make all the difference. For example did he say path or parth, that kind of thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...om-London-to-Pennines-to-die-on-hillside.html
He walked into The Clarence pub at 2pm and in what the landlord believes was a northern, but not Oldham, accent, asked "how do you get to the top of that mountain?"
rbbm.

Mystery man found dead near Dovestone reservoir is finally identified

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...72#ICID=ios_MENNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh that's fab news!!

Today, at a short hearing at Heywood coroner's court, he was identified as David Lytton, 68. (says age 67 further down though)

Officers had checked passenger records from a flight from Lahore in Pakistan which tallied with Mr Lytton's details. They had also checked airport and train station CCTV to confirm Mr Lytton's movements.

The family of Mr Lytton had been informed and officers were able to compare DNA from the mystery body with that of a relative to confirm a match.

There's going to be a press conference tomorrow and an inquest in March.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knotty70
Back