GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Cottonweaver for the warning. Unfortunately I have a 10-11 appointment otherwise I`d be heading to St Albans now with my sleeping bag (forget the first day of the Harrods sale - this is a far worthier cause!!).
I`ll sit on someone`s lap if need be. Lit-up???

"He said: 'Sorry, we have taken Helen and Boris with us', he said 'we will be back we will see you Friday, if anyone asks tell them she's gone Broadstairs (Kent), don't tell anyone in any way'.

Well at least Nick is a gentleman. He did apologise...

Hey net, ask OBF if there are any real tears. Keep reading about these emotional break downs in the witness box. I want to know if there are tears, oh and tissues.

Still catching up...
If Helen had taken the zopiclone herself, she would hardly have been doing searches on "Why do I feel so tired?"

"He said: 'Sorry, we have taken Helen and Boris with us', he said 'we will be back we will see you Friday, if anyone asks tell them she's gone Broadstairs (Kent), don't tell anyone in any way'.

Well at least Nick is a gentleman. He did apologise...

Wonder if he's doing the accents too.

LOL
Just seen that "banned" word in the BBC report!

"Stewart claimed he was attacked by the tattooed th*g called Nick on his doorstep last spring."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-38907335

The reason that word is 'banned' here is because this is an American site and that descriptor is heavily politicized in the USA.

In the UK a 'th *u*g' is a 'th*u*g regardless of race/ethnicity but in the USA the term has been used for many years, almost as a shorthand to identify, rightly or wrongly, people from just one racial/ethnic group.

That is the way I have come to understand the use of the term 'Th*ug in the USA.

* Of course imo it has to be wrong to only use the word to describe people from one racial/ethnic group, but I am a Brit. I have given what may be a cack-handed explanation as to why the 4 letter word is a four letter word in the US and not the UK

ETA Correct Typo

The reason that word is 'banned' here is because this is an American site and that descriptor is heavily politicized in the USA.

In the UK a 'th *u*g' is a 'th*u*g regardless of race/ethnicity but in the USA the term has been used for many years, almost as a shorthand to identify, rightly or wrongly, people from just one racial/ethnic group.

That is the way I have come to understand the use of the term 'Th*ug in the USA.

Thanks, Nellie. I think I've heard this before, now you mention it. It certainly has no racial connotations in the UK, as you say.

If anyone can tell me his birth date, I would be very interested

Tara Cox ‏@TaraCoxCN 4h4 hours ago

XXXXXX Hello, there wasn't a seat free in the court room today or yesterday, with extra seats put out for press. Probs same tomorrow

* Of course imo it has to be wrong to only use the word to describe people from one racial/ethnic group, but I am a Brit. I have given what may be a cack-handed explanation as to why the 4 letter word is a four letter word in the US and not the UK

ETA Correct Typo

Thank you so much for this, I love these language differences and the story behind them. So useful to know.

I haven't caught up completely, so I'm no doubt repeating somebody, but if the baddies told him not to contact Helen "in any way", what was his text with three kisses about?

And wasn't it awfully sweet of the kidnappers to allow Helen to bring her dog? Do you think they let her pack his food and toys? How thoughtful.

Wasn't Boris found with his favourite toy? Obviously the gangster duo did ask Helen to bring Boris' goodies along. It all makes perfect sense now.

Yes, I've occasionally noticed people using that word on here and disguising it, so I guessed it must fall foul of the WS swear filter.
How very peculiar.
It is of course a perfectly acceptable word in UK usage and I cannot imagine why anyone might deem it offensive.

I have looked into it before and I think it's because in the USA it can be interpreted as a racial slur... Whereas in the UK it's used to describe violent criminals of all races. In the UK, a violent Skinhead would definitely be described as a t.hug, for example.

ETA sorry, I see someone else has already said this :)

The lever arch file really tickles me too. He loves a good random detail in these stories.

How much of that initial 101 call has he now "admitted" was lies? She has now had a fall out with the cleaner, a habit of taking other people's prescription medication, is involved with crime/abuse and didn't leave a note.

I am :eek:fftobed:

Hardly keeping my eyes open now although I was on a hyper high earlier.

I'll harrass the OBF accordingly tomorrow if the chance arises. I wouldn't usually expect to be in touch with him during the working day, so might be evening before we catch up again.

It's shopping day tomorrow, will try and get out early and back in time for X (OBF said that should start in the afternoon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214