GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask my Websleuth friends a couple of quick questions? Firstly, what's this BIB I keep seeing in the comments - I'm a newbie as you know and I've been puzzling over that for ages - OK, I give in!

Secondly - am I mistaken, or did IS claim today that he was accepted to Cambridge University to do a Phd? I find this hard to believe!

It's sickening to hear IS recount the well-worn, sympathy-seeking story of how his wife died tragically. It's exactly the same telling that Helen will have heard and has no doubt been exploited to the max with many, many people.

I fully believe he could have killed his late wife, and that the defence mentioning there was a potential cash claim he didn't make is a huge red herring. Her epilepsy may have been the perfect cover for murder. I hope that will be investigated in future, but as she's been cremated it could be hard to prove. The unbelievable arrogance of this man is easier to understand in the context of him having got away with murder before.

BIB means "bit in bold" I think. BBM is "bold by me".

I think it's worth saying that my ex husband is an extremely gifted mathematician and software engineer who could have spent his whole life at university collecting degrees. He's thick as **** at everything else though. Except lying. He's good at that ;)

:eek:fftobed:

Please don't post too much before I come back or I'll be here all day again tomorrow :scared:

I'm not.

This murder involved the worst kind of deception and callousness imaginable as far as I'm concerned. The cold calculation and planning involved shows me what he is. And his act of drawing attention to his relationship with Diane, her medical history and the circumstances of her death today, shows me that he knows what is on the line with this case.

He is working extremely hard to show his innocence in a crime he hasn't been accused of, and that speaks to me of a desperate need to defend himself. It is not necessary beyond saying my wife died of an existing medical condition, but old motor mouth can't stop himself blabbing on about it.

It's like walking into a room and your child saying I didn't eat the chocolate before you even noticed it was missing.

What has surprised me is that the Defence must have known exactly what he was going to say. Why would they let him make a fool of himself in this way?

She sent a pic of her house, with the address on and told him she was going to be alone the next night. Straight after they'd been having flirty chit chat. I think she hoped he'd turn up as she'd already fallen for him, online. She wouldn't have let him stay the night if she weren't happy about it. I think she probably wrote a lot of things a little differently to how they happened, to add humour to her blogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HIS WORDS - pinklillies. Helen may have had a flirty chat. And exchanged photos of their homes. I do not believe Helen's intention was to 'invite' him over. IF she wished for him to do that - Helen would have got herself together in what is viewed as the best possible light.
She would, of course, write in her blog - and especially her book to dramatise a situation (part of the Editor's brief) - but I feel she was shocked at his unprepared visit.

And then they drank some wine or chosen drinks together - and he was not 'able' to drive home. (Part of an IS ploy? - apart from thinking Ka chink - when he saw Helen's Highgate property).

He IS a predator - with skills in hunkering his prey.

Fit enough to drive that night on his 'embellished suggestion of an invitation' - and yet needed a Blue Badge to park in every day life.

I believe Helen with any dramatic licence within her gift of writing compared to the 'please Jury believe me' of the IS statements spewing from a mouth of adopting speak from every aspect of Helen in his embroidery of the truth. Furious tonight xx

Thank you Cotton.

I am definitely going to bed early! So he didn't take his exams for lst year of first degree, completed 2nd year at the top but no mention of his third year (odd?). He says he didn't finish his PhD at Cambridge because he had a job offer he could not refuse (I think that is what he meant but it was put awkwardly). There is no way Cambridge would offer him a PhD if he had not finished his first degree. He is going to look really stupid if he is lying.

That is with Trimmer sitting as a Recorder (part time judge), so not really applicable IMO to how he works as a counsel. He was accused of getting the sentencing law wrong there.

I would agree with you there; it was just something I'd discovered. As I used to teach some bits about the judiciary at college, I vaguely remember a case where the Lord Chancellor removed two recorders, but that was for misdemeanours in their main jobs as solicitors.

Let's hope Mr T does the biz; Helen and Boris deserve no less. I remember one of her PG blogs ended by beseeching her readers to take care...

What has surprised me is that the Defence must have known exactly what he was going to say. Why would they let him make a fool of himself in this way?

I think the defence is powerless to stop his verbal diarrhoea! Boring he most certainly is but I'm hoping its a sign he'll talk himself into trouble. I bet the defence would rather have avoided putting him on the stand - but thanks to Nick and Joe, they have no choice. Good old Nick and Joe I say - thanks to them (please God) Mr Trimmer's going to eat him for breakfast!

Despite not actually being in court I have taken the liberty of preparing my own court sketch.

c7e1431479bc698730bd642fd8b84b13.jpg

(It might look like a few ancient Egyptians down the front but I assure you it's a true likeness of these legal eagle types).

We are all so hyped up that often we need humour to carry us through - just in the same way with grief, emergency etc - and many times we've had a little (kind) giggle .. and sharing always with respect and love of Helen. But Squamous - you have taken the biscuit in awards of capturing the scene. Please apply to be a court artist without haste x

I think IS' only hope is to make the jury believe that he is so feeble and so nice that it couldn't possibly have been him. So I suppose that's the purpose the blather serves. I doubt very much that the veneer will last long though.

I wonder if cremation was a family custom for the Lems.

Just remembering him saying 'that was a mistake we both made independently'.

Of course if he has said anything untrue, I expect the prosecution will be able to counter it (if needs be) by asking to bring in new witnesses to say as such.

When IS described the early days of his 'courtship' with Helen, her taking him around London, to the National Gallery etc, it struck me she was hoping he would enjoy the same things she and her late husband did together, and that she was trying in some way to recreate that happy marriage. But JS was a different sort of man to IS in every way - chalk and cheese. IS' statement that JS was: "...sophisticated, smooth and suave - I was not", sounded a tad resentful to me, like he felt he had been compared to JS and found wanting.

Yet Helen was no snob, she fell in love with IS (or persuaded herself she had), endured his less than scintillating conversation and probably other encounters, bolstered his ego and welcomed his adult children. His description of her first meeting with his son Oliver struck me as revealing:

"She invited us to come for a meal. Him and Helen hit it off straight away. Helen was amazed how much Oliver ate. That was a nice friendly event".

Any single parent would be anxious their children (especially older ones) got on with their new partner. Helen clearly put herself out to be sweet with Oliver and ensure this first meeting was a success. But there's no acknowledgement here from IS, even fleetingly, that it was Helen who made it happen. Helen who had no kids of her own and would never ask Ian to make similar efforts.

He can't even show appreciation for her when he's in the dock, pretending he loved her!

Did wonder if that was a quick lunch time re write ( the bit about Oliver and Helen hitting it off ) to counterbalance the evidence from the friend who made it clear there was no love lost there.

I'm not.

This murder involved the worst kind of deception and callousness imaginable as far as I'm concerned. The cold calculation and planning involved shows me what he is. And his act of drawing attention to his relationship with Diane, her medical history and the circumstances of her death today, shows me that he knows what is on the line with this case.

He is working extremely hard to show his innocence in a crime he hasn't been accused of, and that speaks to me of a desperate need to defend himself. It is not necessary beyond saying my wife died of an existing medical condition, but old motor mouth can't stop himself blabbing on about it.

It's like walking into a room and your child saying I didn't eat the chocolate before you even noticed it was missing.

Yep. A person doesnt suddenly wake up, at 55 years of age, and decide to commit the type of murder that he has carried out...he has history, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oh_silly_me