GUILTY UK - Helen Bailey, 51, Royston, 11 April 2016 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BIB So twisted, fascinating though.

OTopic really but how do people like JB and his partner forgive when it's a psychopath? It's not as if he has a treatable MH issue. I bring in JB's partner as he is a Revd ( IDK what denomination) but I've always marvelled & admired how people can forgive. Or would you say regardless of someone's religious "journey" that counselling is still vital?

( If a killer is psychotic /there is no pre-med I absolutely could see myself finding some empathy but with this kind of character I come up dry. At the same time, I appreciate all victims have to find some kind of peace or acceptance or they will be dragged down with this awful creature. )

Do you ever envisage that these P. disorders will be treatable in any worthwhile way, say , in our life-time?

Appreciate those are big involved questions, feel free not to answer all/some of them.
(Goodness knows how the two sons and the parents will cope with what's been revealed)

CW,
This is only my view and my understanding having researched a lot about the meaning of forgiveness. It is often a misused word.
You can (sometimes) forgive a person. However this is dependent on many factors, not least whether they recognise and feel a deep sense of remorse about what they have done. And also obviously dependent on the nature of what they have done.
Many people confuse forgiveness with having an understanding of what has happened and why (the "why" part could be the fact that the person is just plain evil). Once understanding is achieved, then one can begin to come to terms with what has happened and learn to live with it and move on with their life, albeitwith the pain they carry as part of who they now are. obviously great trauma changes a person but need not destroy their life.
One is not obliged to forgive those who show no remorse for their bad deeds and/or heinous crimes. That is my understanding and experience anyway.

An awful thought crossed my mind last night re. Diane. If IS is a tinkerer with drugs - and I don't think any of us are in any doubt about that, how about this as a possible. We don't know if Diane was on anti-convulsant drugs but, given the few attacks she'd had, including a period of not be allowed to drive, it's a possibility. Withdrawal of such drugs can bring on an attack/fit, albeit not at a predictable time and place. Might he have sort of 'worked in reverse' and exchanged anti-convulsants for something as innocuous as (say) sweeteners? Just thinking out loud here.

Yeah I've suggested this as well. Wouldn't put it past him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewart's long tale to the court and his version of events reminds me of a thing we used to do in English lessons where we'd be given a dozen words and told to write a story using all these words, the words in IS's tale being those from the defence material. With that, the characters, the plot twists and the ending 'they framed me' i'm wondering if he's been fancying himself as a writer.

He wouldn't be the first to think he can become an expert in the chosen 'hobby' of a new partner.

Lol.....yes I am the one! I am on Tapatalk and when scrolling I find that I have followed EVERYONE hahahaha, I must seem like a stalker! (Managed to right this though)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You didn't happen to notice where I dropped my keys while you were following me did you? Lol

The Judge said the new evidence was "extracts from a book". I'm thinking several or more paragraphs from perhaps Life after death and a dog named Boris which may have a bearing on what IS has used in his defence. It would have to be more important than just more evidence of his embroidering of the facts of their courtship though to warrant this? Maybe he's plagerised parts of it

Other than that lots of paper shuffling and lots of discussion amongst the Bigwigs. They are all trying to make this trial as fair as they possibly can.

So that he won't have any grounds for appeal :giggle:

On the subject of how long a jury can take to give a verdict... Peter Tobin's jury were back in ten minutes. They barely had time to get to the jury room and back.
And I reckon that was 9 mins 30 seconds too long 👿 Vile creature.
Sorry, just a bit too close to home, I'll stop now before I go off in a rant

And I reckon that was 9 mins 30 seconds too long  Vile creature.
Sorry, just a bit too close to home, I'll stop now before I go off in a rant

I couldn't agree more. Best candidate yet for Bible John IMO.

BIB So twisted, fascinating though.

OTopic really but how do people like JB and his partner forgive when it's a psychopath? It's not as if he has a treatable MH issue. I bring in JB's partner as he is a Revd ( IDK what denomination) but I've always marvelled & admired how people can forgive. Or would you say regardless of someone's religious "journey" that counselling is still vital?

( If a killer is psychotic /there is no pre-med I absolutely could see myself finding some empathy but with this kind of character I come up dry. At the same time, I appreciate all victims have to find some kind of peace or acceptance or they will be dragged down with this awful creature. )

Do you ever envisage that these P. disorders will be treatable in any worthwhile way, say , in our life-time?

Appreciate those are big involved questions, feel free not to answer all/some of them.
(Goodness knows how the two sons and the parents will cope with what's been revealed)

I guess at the heart of Christian forgiveness is the idea that evil exists solely to bring us to a point where we have no hope, nothing to live for and care not what happens to us or others. This is the antithesis of God's love and sacrifice which if we take the example of the Crucifixion says: watch this, everything you fear, everything you're terrified of, humiliation, passiveness, violence, mocking, and even death, watch what I can do with these terrible things that bring fear darkness and hopelessness to humanity. In three days I'll turn all these things into something beautiful and profound!

So Christian's feel that just as they share in the resurrection when their own sufferings will be transformed as Christ's were, so too must they forgive as Jesus forgave, even on the Cross when being murdered. "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do".

Despite having the Faith (Big F ) of the Church it is not easy and individuals have their own faith (small f) and sometimes the two don't easily reconcile. Sometimes, pastoral care, guidence or counselling is needed, sometimes not.

Whether you are forgiving a person with mental illness or a person with a personality disorder it is still a difficult process to go through and impossible for some. What lessens the possibility of forgiveness for the two son's is the personal betrayal by their own father and all the associated baggage that will come with that. We cannot forgive unless we know what we are forgiving.

Those young men will have questions about their own mother and undoubtedly ask did their father murder her too? Nobody can forgive with so many questions and uncertainty. This will hinder what is already a difficult process for them.

Before we can forgive we have to reconcile ourselves to the grave wrong done to us and make sense of that in light of our own faith or individual philosophy (in the absence of faith). How on earth can they even begin that process when they won't ever get a straight answer from their father.

It will be a long and tortuous process for all involved, not least the two sons and I have no doubt they will need therapy at some stage to come through this trauma.

APD's aren't treatable and I doubt, despite the advances in the neurosciences, we will see a treatment in our lifetime.

It needs to be said though that not all psychopaths are cruel, dangerous, killers. Psychopathy, in and of itself, is a benign condition. It's the nurture in childhood that makes this nature so potentially dangerous. Psychopaths are born that way, their brains are known to be congenitally, physiologically different; not so much sociopaths - but, crucially, how both conditions manifest themselves in adulthood is determined by the nurture received in childhood.

Stewart's long tale to the court and his version of events reminds me of a thing we used to do in English lessons where we'd be given a dozen words and told to write a story using all these words, the words in IS's tale being those from the defence material. With that, the characters, the plot twists and the ending 'they framed me' i'm wondering if he's been fancying himself as a writer.

He wouldn't be the first to think he can become an expert in the chosen 'hobby' of a new partner.

I think you are onto something there- it's certainly a feature of many abusive men to belittle their partner's expertise and talents to the point where they would delight in "going one better" by proving they could turn their hand to it successfully themselves with little effort. It fits with what we know of IS' character so far.

The saddest part of all this for me (beyond the fact that Helen met this man in the first place) is the betrayal of her utter trust in him. She loved him, she welcomed and accepted his sons, she was willing to adapt to coping with teenage and young men in her home. She wrote about it all and her love for IS shone out from her blog and her subsequent book.
One could ask how he managed to hide his true nature for so long but given what we've heard from him during the trial it isn't surprising that Helen was taken in by him. He acted as she expected him to act and I doubt there were many warning signs.

It's only now in the defence stage of the trial that we are seeing the madness and badness of IS. What his sons might be thinking is anyone's guess.
I think a sudden argument which got out of hand I could understand (but not forgive). I am devastated that Helen's death and that of her beloved dog was so coldly planned and carried out by a person she trusted and plainly adored.

CW,
This is only my view and my understanding having researched a lot about the meaning of forgiveness. It is often a misused word.
You can (sometimes) forgive a person. However this is dependent on many factors, not least whether they recognise and feel a deep sense of remorse about what they have done. And also obviously dependent on the nature of what they have done.
Many people confuse forgiveness with having an understanding of what has happened and why (the "why" part could be the fact that the person is just plain evil). Once understanding is achieved, then one can begin to come to terms with what has happened and learn to live with it and move on with their life, albeitwith the pain they carry as part of who they now are. obviously great trauma changes a person but need not destroy their life.
One is not obliged to forgive those who show no remorse for their bad deeds and/or heinous crimes. That is my understanding and experience anyway.
Usually forgiving someone has nothing to do with what the other person does to atone or show remorse for what they have done. It might trigger your decision to forgive but it is not necessary. forgiveness is about letting go of your emotional attachments and responses to the event and your stories and interpretation of what happened. If you waited for remorse you'd never be able to forgive parents after they were dead.

You didn't happen to notice where I dropped my keys while you were following me did you? Lol

Sorry no, I am still looking for my marbles [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks again for the updates, the opinions and the giggles. Great that Trimmer thanked you CW regarding the email and good spot re the weather!

Alyce - the only book I could see on Helen's bookcase was an Allan Lamb book. (Probably not much help!)

Regarding the book, I have been wondering the last few days if Helen kept a secret journal. I know novelists do tend to journal their feelings and diarists often get into novel writing that way. I also wondered if the Mac that Helen was using had additional files of literature that may not have made it to the blog. Or there were some password protected files that Helen might have disclosed some interesting information.

Regarding Diane, I would be interested if his version of her epilepsy fits stacks up with her family's recollections. I cannot begin to try to understand how difficult this trial must be for Diane's family as well.

Here's to justice for Helen and Boris.

48 - 0

At the last count. Dolly and Michelle which way are you voting lol?

I'm pretty sure Dolly said she thought he was innocent.

*waits for clout around the ear* :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member